3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Reputable Contributor

Huh...no ?

I mean why get the base stuff done when you can add advanced stuff used by a handful right ?

Agreed. Layer Groups with Layer Masks capability per layer (Photoshop style...with thumbnail) >>>>>> nodes. That can be done by Raul, when/if he starts working on integration of Cycles renderer. Just use their node structure instead of re-inventing the wheel. Problem is, Raul has to go back to Cuba at the end of the month...so that all is a pipe dream at this stage. :D

• Contributor

Agreed AbnRanger.

Off topic but I think it's worth saying:

I tested Toolbag 2 from marmoset, their realtime rendering software is awesome, Imagining something close to that while sculpting could be a good enough reason to never leave 3dc.

Toolbag2.png

@Artman, yes it's the high res, I regret it doesn't support vertex paint (or is it because I didn't find a way to export it from 3Dc, I can't tell). It's 8M, it's a bit laggy to rotate around but it's stable.

• Like 2

• Contributor

@beat:  Is that you hires sculpt in TB 2?how much ^polys can it load?

@Andrew: Andrew would it be hard to add save/load (to file) gizmo position/orientation in Transform tool? That could be really useful to borrow pivot from other objects for transformation.

• Contributor

First of all, we need sculpting layer like Mudbox.

Just my 2 cent.

Nice Render Beat.

no sure how that would be possible since Liveclay constantly change topology and zb/mudbox layers are basically morph targets using constant vertex order....

• Contributor

I don't know how that could work either, but that would be very helpful when managing microdetail while retaining the possibility to change the underlying surface without breaking said microdetails. Besides the more detail you add, the less easy it becomes to work on dense areas... Layer would allow to keep the flow going :)

I know some may answer "proxy" or "paint room", but I'm not fan of both solution (proxy are unreliable with liveclay and paint room is lost data if you need to change your lower res mesh at some point, baking sculpt isn't).

• Reputable Contributor

no sure how that would be possible since Liveclay constantly change topology and zb/mudbox layers are basically morph targets using constant vertex order....

I'm thinking there would have to be some kind of compromise/limitation, for it to work. Perhaps, the base mesh would have to be locked and only loop subdivision could be used on the separate child layers?

• Contributor

I'm thinking there would have to be some kind of compromise/limitation, for it to work. Perhaps, the base mesh would have to be locked and only loop subdivision could be used on the separate child layers?

well one the great use of layers is blending,toning down details layers....and details are much better achieved using Liveclay/Removestrecthing than using plain surface mode...

I think it would have to be done using weight projection like proxymode (which is still puzzling me how incredible it is),but storing all those internal states would maybe makes the .3b files grow a lot.... I did not stress test proxy mode along liveclay but I would not go as far as Beat to say is is unreliable with Liveclay,I've used it quite a few time on the gigantic project I'm working on right now and nothing disastrous happened...

Today we achieved good boost to LC brushes - now it is very fast and gives no tearing, produces very nice quality. I will share build soon.

Awesome news!! :)

Sculpt layers will be there some day.

It is far not so easy, but possible. For example paint layers work well even on non-constant topology.

Today we achieved good boost to LC brushes - now it is very fast and gives no tearing, produces very nice quality. I will share build soon.

Combine it with Morph targets if possible - if projected development time looks reasonable. After we rough out the major form, we can set a morph target = Major_Form_Copied_To_Memory, then add a new layer, begin to detail there and when finished, activate the morph-target brush and begin to morph parts back to the original state.

Then manipulate the layer slider which ought to be -1......0.....1  the manipulator button at 1 by default. So we can intensify what we sculpted, also by duplicating the layer with the duplicate layer button this makes an ADD INTENSITY operation to the first layer and we can set this layer back from 1 to 0.7 or 0.2 for example.   Or in the -1....0 range   layer slider positions being ADDITIVE just as in zbrush:

(layer_1_-30%)  & (layer_2_-40%)   =  -70% deflate on sculpted area. (negative inflate)  Whole sculpted area sinks inward. versa:

If we set both layers to be in a positive range:

(layer_1_+40%)  & (layer_2_+70%)   =  110% inflate on sculpted area.

This is good for very fine detail when our detail is already at 100%, duplicating it to a second layer we can slightly intensify = precision detail.

In this way sculpting chain-mails, clothes, skin or scales with alphas  will be finely adjustable, just like in zbrush.

Of course Andrew will possibly have a better idea and might improve 3D-Coats layer functions so it can become superior and a market leader by first introducing Advanced Sculpt Layer Operations.

Edited by mercy
  • Like 1

For the 3d-coats layer :

The first step could be a layer system like Mudbox/zbrush, liveclay will be like Zbrush HD geometry (2-3 versions ago) with no layer possibility.

The second step, extend the layer systems for liveclay.

Maybe a Ptex-like technology for non-constant topology(liveclay) for the 3dcoat modeling layer system. But I think, the big problem will be to remove vertices except if the layer keep track the points of the initial geometry(polygon) on the creating layer. If a vertice of the initial geometry is removed, he is only removed for the display and the mesh construction. But the vertice is always use to know in which initial polygon the new vertices are created/removed by liveclay.

• Contributor

Opacity slider in Retopo Room doesn't seem to work in 4.0.11. Can someone confirm this?

Hm... It doesn't work in 10A either.

Same with 10. It must be something on my end.

Any ideas why I can't change retopo mesh opacity any more? I didn't change video drivers or anything like that.

Okay, it works in 4.0.09, so something must have gone wrong between versions.

Edited by ajz3d

- Scripting got major update. Look documentation. Generally it allows to do non-destructive modeling with primitives. It is good to create parametric hardsurface stuff. Scripts may be inserted in any top menu section. Paint layers management via script introduced. Extended control over voxel scene allowed.

Nice !!

• Applink Developer

Wou! This sounds really good news. Excited to test it out.

Edited by haikalle

• Reputable Contributor

Opacity slider does not seem to work properly here too......but if you add another poly it updates itself. So, not the end of the world. Sure its a minor glitch that can be fixed easily.

Yeah, the sliders in the layer and blending panel (well...most any slider that adjusts the look of the texture maps), in the Paint Room, are practically useless (when working with Texture maps) and have been for a long time. They are more interactive and fluid when working with Vertex painting, but on UV/texture maps, you pretty much have to resort to entering the values numerically and keep trying until you get the look you want. The sliders are slower than frozen molasses....literally that bad. Wish it would get fixed.

Glad to hear about the LiveClay improvements, though.

• Contributor

- Scripting got major update. Look documentation. Generally it allows to do non-destructive modeling with primitives. It is good to create parametric hardsurface stuff. (...)

Nice !!
I'm very curious about this too. Sounds promising.

• Contributor

Two questions Andrew (Voxel Room):
1. Would it be possible to implement a Freeze pattern similar to Pose tool's "rainbow" selection? (see: the first image)

2. Would it be possible to boost performance of freeze smoothing? It's ludicrously slow when compared to smoothing of pose selection, especially on high poly surfaces. (Plus, it looks to be broken - see image no. 2).

post-12523-0-64870100-1386450684_thumb.j

post-12523-0-67178600-1386450834_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

It's designated in the shader, I don't really understand why btw, it would make more sense to have the option in the preferences. Btw that gradient is evil, a more precise mono chrome gradient would do the job just fine. Currently this gradient is better than the black one because the black one is very inaccurate (you can't make clean definition and affect what's IN the gradient, it's a bit of inside/outside....

It's designated in the shader, I don't really understand why btw, it would make more sense to have the option in the preferences. Btw that gradient is evil, a more precise mono chrome gradient would do the job just fine. Currently this gradient is better than the black one because the black one is very inaccurate (you can't make clean definition and affect what's IN the gradient, it's a bit of inside/outside....

+1

There should be a preference setting for selection/masking color. That rainbow color is much too harsh and jarring. It really becomes a hinderance when you need to make fine adjustments to your mesh. It's like trying to draw with pencil on paper while a bright red light is flashing in your face.

Btw, another request would be for a consistent universal transform gizmo for all transform and pose operations.