3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

Thank you Artman for taking so much of your time to test and help solve the bad topology issues!

Also of course thanks to Andrew and Raul for their recent work on the sculpting tools! This part of the app is getting better!

• Contributor

Regarding CleanClay uber collapse...can you explain me better what happen?

well I haven't try cleanclay per say,its "Powerful smoothing" that is activated in top ui;

usually it acts by combining averaging(sampled at start of stroke)+ some smoothing.

But now it just seems to act as a very destructive reduce brush.

Nothing special happened; I just sculpted using LC/RS and then I used Shift with "powerful smoothing" set to it.

Result is what you see in picture.

Guys, I've been running into odd errors here and there and tonight started having major problems with Paint Room, hard crashes as a matter of fact. I deleted everything from my c:\....libraries\documents\3d-coatv4\ directory and things are looking and running much better. I was just wondering if some of the errors some users are experiencing might be from corrupt files existing between installs of betas?

• Contributor

-Parts of mesh hidden using Surf Hide tool are still affected by Move brush and possibly other brushes.

also completely different topic; Cut off tool rocks in build12C!!...really first time I am not afraid to use it. :)

Nasty  bugs were definitely fixed!

But sometimes it will complete cutting operation even after self-intersection warning,leading to not so ideal mesh with open holes :

post-1195-0-76292400-1387779410_thumb.jp

about booleans/cutting in SFmode:

I think (and its solely my opinion) that you aimed too much for high quality booleans ...

Personally I would much rather have less quality booleans that works 100% of times in any situations than superquality booleans.

Maybe one day you could introduce a simpler version within sF mode if you get inspiration. :)

Of course the operands need to not loose quality but the surface resulting from  the boolean itself

does not need to be of absolute crispness imo. Although having best of both worlds would be great.

• Reputable Contributor

When using the Stamp Draw mode, Somehow, 3D Coat has changed the falloff type from Radial (as it is supposed to be) to Linear (side to side). I emailed this a while back and provided a recording of it happening and mentioned how urgent it was to get it fixed...but nothing. It is a very important tool for sculpting and is practically useless for me, in this state. Why? Cause it leaves sharp edges on 2 ends and thus it does not blend properly.

http://3d-coat.com:8081/mantis/view.php?id=1363

Also - regarding bugfixing, hiring, consistency....

Good bugfixing requires better qualification than just writing code. So not sure who may easily fix my bugs. It is totally nontrivial task that requires deep understanding of whole code. Othervice I will have to fix bugs that appeared after non-competent fixing bugs...

Consistency. Some features are possible in one mode and are very hard to implement in other. Like replace geometry. That is the reason why voxel and surface toolsets are so different So complete consistency is not looking like easy trick.

As for consistency between rooms not being easy...The transform gizmos/tools in each room most certainly can and should, be consistent and unified, but they still are not. Notice the two images....one for the Transform tool and the other for the Transform Gizmo/operation in the Primitives Tool. What's different between the two? There is some difference, just in the gizmo alone (no Rotate in space or Move in Screen space handles for the Primitives Tool). Then, let's say you need to move the gizmo center of the Primitives tool version...to place the pivot point somewhere else. There is no "TO CENTER MASS" option to get it back to center.

In the Primitives tool, you can arbitrarily set the number of FFD control points for any axis. But in the Pose Tool, you only have a few presets to choose from. The Pinch brush in the Voxel Room is aptly named. But the same tool in the Tweak Room is STILL called COLLAPSE. Often times, when you work on something, you move on before you give any of us a chance to offer feedback. The Pose Tool, recently, is a very good example. You made an adjustment, and within a day or two, me and Digman showed were it was not working right, still.....but you moved on and there is no telling when it will every get fixed.

There is no reason why the Transform Tools/operations in the Voxel room cannot be mirrored to the Tweak Room. The room isn't used much because it's outdated....fossilized. If it were multi-threaded and had some of the most basic tools from the Voxel Room (Transform, Pose, standard Surface Mode Brushes), it could be so valuable that users would often times never need to send their low poly assets to the Voxel Room. They could just work directly on their low poly assets right in the Tweak Room. (I would name it the BasicSculpt room, and the Voxel Room the Adv. Sculpt room...easy to understand for anyone what the distinction is). The Tweak Room is one big deliberate inconsistency. Easy or not, if you are going to keep it in the application, it needs to be CONSISTENT with the other workspaces. It's currently like building a new strip mall around an old abandoned building. Sticks out like a sore thumb....simply because it's been neglected for years, now.

Edited by AbnRanger

• Contributor

The Retopo opacity slider is now broke, for some reason. I even deleted the Options.xml file, to see if that had anything to do with it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5zx7iMKxeu5Zi1vUWEtU1lHWjA

(...)it works in 4.0.09, so something must have gone wrong between versions.

On my end it updates randomly: sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

It always updates when I click anywhere in Retopo Groups window (not necessarily on specific groups, it can even be an empty space). Also, if I slide it down or up to 0/100% it updates immediately too.

The code for retopo opacity slider in 4.0.09 works just fine, so I hope it will be easy for Andrew to fix.

Updated to 4.0.12D. Changes:

- fixed remove stretching vertex random shift

- proxy mode model quality improved (better uniformness, keeping details, sriangles quality, fixed different little problems)

- retopo opacity slider fixed

- super smooth influence shape fixed

- faces disappearing in retopo room during welding fixed

- falloff problem in stamp mode fixed

I was not able to reproduce several reported issues, so please check. What I can't reproduce:

- supersmooth collapses all into single point

- getting from proxy destroys mesh integrity

- smooth all in symmetry mode in retopo mode swizzles vertices

• Contributor

I was not able to reproduce several reported issues, so please check. What I can't reproduce:

Its hard to reproduce but i can get it always in approx 2minutes.

It has something to do with undos and changing brushes.

What is strange is once it starts it wont stop doing this until I exit 3DCoat.

(even loading another file will keep issue alive)

• Contributor

as far as LC/RS goes 12D really seems to be the fastest ,cleanest 3Dcoat build ever. :)

Needs to be confirmed by other users ...but I really think you and Raul  really stabilized the sculpting side of LC/RS to a very solid state.

• Contributor

I think changes you made to proxy mode solved this in 12D...I cant reproduce anymore.

After quite a lot of torture mesh seems to  come back clean from proxy mode.

Its hard to reproduce but i can get it always in approx 2minutes.

It has something to do with undos and changing brushes.

What is strange is once it starts it wont stop doing this until I exit 3DCoat.

(even loading another file will keep issue alive)

Are you still able to reproduce it in 12D?

as far as LC/RS goes 12D really seems to be the fatest ,cleanest 3Dcoat build ever. :)

Needs to be confirmed by other users ...but I really think you and Raul  really stabilized the sculpting side of LC/RS to a very solid state.

Thanks! I very hope so!

• Contributor

Are you still able to reproduce it in 12D?

Yes,very easily and pretty quickly...but I am not able to find EXACT steps.It involves undoing,brushing and changing brushes presets.

The way it samples resolution for averaging seem to somehow get corrupted.

• Contributor

!2D does have a problem in Retopo. Faces are there but invisible.

post-1430-0-22713800-1387826277_thumb.pn

Just to emphasize, Z bias is max and so is opacity.

Self discovery: I started on the back end (wrong side} of the object.

Edited by Tony Nemo

Don't know if this pertains to the beta, but when using LC I sometimes get dimples and sometimes they are like pimples. Smoothing, fillhole, closeholes, nothing works. In wireframe view I see that there is a spike of geometry inside the object. You can reproduce by using a deep LC brush and quick drawn layers of LC on top of each other on a sphere. I can't remove them with external strokes, but I can by using smooth internally. This goes for 12E too, though fixing some of them externally has been better with each successive update.

• Reputable Contributor

Updated to 4.0.12D. Changes:

- fixed remove stretching vertex random shift

- proxy mode model quality improved (better uniformness, keeping details, sriangles quality, fixed different little problems)

- retopo opacity slider fixed

- super smooth influence shape fixed

- faces disappearing in retopo room during welding fixed

- falloff problem in stamp mode fixed

- smooth all in symmetry mode in retopo mode swizzles vertices

Thanks for the fixes, Andrew. :good:

• Like 1

• Contributor

-"powerful smoothing" issue seems really fixed in 12E

but after further testing it seems mesh corruption when getting back from proxy mode(decimated) is not.

post-1195-0-16135100-1387873982_thumb.jp

To reproduce:

1-open attached file proxy corruption.zip

2-Go in proxy mode (decimated 4x)

3-Tweak with Move brush

4-Return from proxy mode....now you should see result like image above.

• Contributor

Don't know if this pertains to the beta, but when using LC I sometimes get dimples and sometimes they are like pimples. Smoothing, fillhole, closeholes, nothing works. In wireframe view I see that there is a spike of geometry inside the object. You can reproduce by using a deep LC brush and quick drawn layers of LC on top of each other on a sphere. I can't remove them with external strokes, but I can by using smooth internally. This goes for 12E too, though fixing some of them externally has been better with each successive update.

I am not able to reproduce yet after 2 hours of heavy sculpting on a sphere in 12E.

Im "using a deep LC brush and quick drawn layers of LC on top of each other on a sphere" like you wrote.

Can you elaborate a little:

Which brushes used?

How much depth used,detail value ect...

Screenshot would be nice.

thanx

Using LC at about 300% depth and a brush shape you can see in the screen cap I layer clay on a sphere until I have a huge mess.

With Powerful Smoothing I start to clean it up.

Goes well until one tiny area stops being effected by Powerful Smoothing, so I go to fillholes, closehole, regular smooth, nothing helps. See 3dcoat_dimple.jpg

Next I return to LC and build up the area so I can attack the dimple from a different angle figuring that might help.

While it is fainter, it is still there. See 3dcoat_dimple2.jpg

Looked at in wireframe you can see the subsurface structure in black - the pore :)

If I go inside the mesh and Power Smooth this internal object I can make it disappear.

post-20524-0-77258500-1387894546_thumb.j

post-20524-0-01133500-1387894550_thumb.j

post-20524-0-69429000-1387894552_thumb.j