3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

Using LC at about 300% depth and a brush shape you can see in the screen cap I layer clay on a sphere until I have a huge mess.

With Powerful Smoothing I start to clean it up.

Goes well until one tiny area stops being effected by Powerful Smoothing, so I go to fillholes, closehole, regular smooth, nothing helps. See 3dcoat_dimple.jpg

Next I return to LC and build up the area so I can attack the dimple from a different angle figuring that might help.

While it is fainter, it is still there. See 3dcoat_dimple2.jpg

Looked at in wireframe you can see the subsurface structure in black - the pore :)

If I go inside the mesh and Power Smooth this internal object I can make it disappear.

...ok,300% depth...

If I try 300% depth the mesh build up like crazy...I mean real crazy..unusable crazy.

What happens if you sculpt at lets say....98%.? Can you reproduce issue,

• Contributor

Too bad creaseclay needs more than 100% depth to be of any use...

Btw, 100% pressure= no buildup nor raise. I also would love to hear the reason why some brush don't work AT ALL with a mouse. Not that I fancy using a mouse to sculpt but I pity the poor guy without tablet.

• Contributor

Too bad creaseclay needs more than 100% depth to be of any use...

euh what??

I got it at a 30% depth and  at 100% it sucks mesh in like a vacuum...

Sometimes Im wondering how is it that everybody get so different results.

• Advanced Member

...and also, I noticed that "REPLACE GEOMETRY" is an option for PPP mode, but not MV mode. Also, when importing a mesh into the Retopo room, 3D Coat ALWAYS crams multiple UV maps into the same space. Now if 3D Coat separates them when importing into the Paint Room, why not the Retopo Room. This just forces the user to do more work....unnecessarily.

One can also dial down the opacity on a retopo mesh...so the different colors aren't so blown out. But no such option exists in the UV room. CONSISTENCY. CONSISTENCY. CONSISTENCY. CONSISTENCY. CONSISTENCY. CONSISTENCY. CONSISTENCY......

Andrew, would you please make this a major focus from here on? Please? If you add it in one room, why not add it everywhere where else tools/functions exist? The Transform tools should be the next major task. Making them 100% consistent across the entire app. basic Transform operations are the most fundamental element in any 3d App and yet there isn't a lick of consistency between them, from room to room or tool to tool (ie/ transform gizmo and options in Voxel Room with Transform tool, Pose Tool, and Primitives tool).

This video is focused on Blender's UI, but the common UI design principles are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO applicable to 3D Coat as well.

LOL.  I just watched about 3 min of this tutorial, hoping that I could try for the 5th time to get into Blender and laughably exited the video:

In the first 3 min of this beginner tutorial, I heard about 7 or 8 shortcut keys, most of which don't match any app that I use for those functions, so I got to the point where I literally said to myself, "I don't have time to go through and relearn yet another app with a ton of different hotkeys to get to the over simplified point in the tutorial this guy was at.  While I do appreciate his effort and intent, and applaud his choice in simplicity of content for the user, I still can't see myself bothering with Blender.  I want so badly to get into it, but I don't have time to either relearn tons of different hotkeys or go through and remap them.  Even with the suggestions I've heard of using other presets that are supposed to be like other apps, I still have to go through and do a ton of remapping.  The biggest turn-off is the time it takes to recall what I need to do to get to a certain point.  It reminded me of AbnRanger's post, above.  I'm a sad boy today :(

Edited by alvordr

• Contributor

Not talking about creaseclay. Rapid2 and most likely a handful of others.

I really dont understand what you are talking about,I can make rapid2 brush build strokes crazy high if I want to...(not sure that would be of any use anyway...) what i mean is I dont understand : 100%brushpressure= no raise...

• Contributor

No raise and cursor moving around= 100% pressure.

Tablet's fine btw, problem only in 3DC on this particular brush. 

if you got flattening curve...that is flattening as you stroke...of course its not gonna raise. :)

But if you want to set it as crazy build brush like I did with image above you can do it.

Also Build mode require strong depth curve if you want to do heavy building.

• Contributor

if you got flattening curve...that is flattening as you stroke...of course its not gonna raise. :)

But if you want to set it as crazy build brush like I did with image above you can do it.

Also Build mode require strong depth curve if you want to do heavy nuilding.

No, I actually tried with 400% as I've seen your settings, no change here. It's a bug.

By your reasoning you would still need to explain why just a little less than 100% pressure raise the surface properly, while full pressure doesn't do anything (not even flattening like you suggest).

• Contributor

(not even flattening like you suggest).

of course it is flattening,this is why your stroke does not raise...it is flattened as it builds up.

Here is example if you set flatten curve to get no flattening (only 13% depth used here )

post-1195-0-27996700-1387898977_thumb.jp

-"powerful smoothing" issue seems really fixed in 12E

but after further testing it seems mesh corruption when getting back from proxy mode(decimated) is not.

attachicon.gifproxy.jpg

To reproduce:

1-open attached file attachicon.gifproxy corruption.zip

2-Go in proxy mode (decimated 4x)

3-Tweak with Move brush

4-Return from proxy mode....now you should see result like image above.

Thanks, now fixed!

Using LC at about 300% depth and a brush shape you can see in the screen cap I layer clay on a sphere until I have a huge mess.

With Powerful Smoothing I start to clean it up.

Goes well until one tiny area stops being effected by Powerful Smoothing, so I go to fillholes, closehole, regular smooth, nothing helps. See 3dcoat_dimple.jpg

Next I return to LC and build up the area so I can attack the dimple from a different angle figuring that might help.

While it is fainter, it is still there. See 3dcoat_dimple2.jpg

Looked at in wireframe you can see the subsurface structure in black - the pore :)

If I go inside the mesh and Power Smooth this internal object I can make it disappear.

Very deep cavities may be smoothed if you will increase pen radius.

• Contributor

Not sure if anybody have noticed it, but on the main paige, there is the word Christmas sale wrong.

There is a missing h.

This looks not realy professional for new customers.

Anyway, merry christmas to all of you.

Edit

Picture included

post-24378-0-16746700-1387901197_thumb.j

Edited by Malo

possibly but I haven't found anything (no holes and topology seems nice at various detail levels..)

Beat found?

I have not understood if I have to fix something there.

I should mention that subdivision method was changed there to prevent holes principally, but all was adjusted to correspond to old way in most exact way.

So if you see some changes there, please describe.

...ok,300% depth...

If I try 300% depth the mesh build up like crazy...I mean real crazy..unusable crazy.

What happens if you sculpt at lets say....98%.? Can you reproduce issue,

I was able to reproduce at 92% but Andrew also gave me the solution, use a smoothing brush that is really large. Now LC is nothing less than amazing!