3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

Здравствейте, решил присмотреца к 3d coat , при скульпте в surface при 6 000 000 триугольников работа с большими кистями не возможна из-за жутких лагов и работа с smooth кисть проктически не чего не дает, Turbo smooth тоже.

amd fx 9590-4.7GHz 8 cpu, gtx 780 inno3d, 32 ram

• Reputable Contributor

Updated to 4.0.14A

- Undo/Redo for Pose tool works correctly now

- Pose tool got super important addition - selection spline profile + free form deformation strictness.

- [forgot to mention in 14] Cloth relax in Retopo room to make all islands edges to be nicely corresponding to each other, important to decrease square/length trash to very minimal degree.

- LiveClay-like brushes are well compatible now with boolean operations - no explosions/legs/stretched triangles on edges, no broken edges outside of pen influence.

- export vector displacement accessible after baking as well.

Thanks Andew. :good: Will start testing immediately.

Здравствейте, решил присмотреца к 3d coat , при скульпте в surface при 6 000 000 триугольников работа с большими кистями не возможна из-за жутких лагов и работа с smooth кисть проктически не чего не дает, Turbo smooth тоже.

amd fx 9590-4.7GHz 8 cpu, gtx 780 inno3d, 32 ram

Voxel или Surface mode? Surface быстрее работает. Но на такой конфигурации должно летать. Хотя если взять кисть размером с полобъекта, то тормозить будет.

Andrew, I have two computers and a laptop, one is worth Intel Core i7-4770K (3.8 ), on the other AMD FX 8350 (4.6), and on a laptop i5 3210M (2.5)
When tested on a model 7000000 poly. and a large brush(Voxel mode). On AMD is almost impossible to work, but on the i7-4770K is quite possible and a little worse for i5 3210M. And the difference is very noticeable when working on Intel and AMD. 

AMD for me - it's unpacking archives and a separate computer to render CPU :)

Edited by HunterWolf

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

The X icon at the bottom of the Paint Layers pallette works much better now.  It's not creating a ton of empty layers.  Thank you.  The only improvement I could suggest on it is that it does make 1 empty layer past the Layer 0 that has to be deleted.  Not sure why we need that extra empty layer, but I'm very happy with this working X.

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew, I have two computers and a laptop, one is worth Intel Core i7-4770K (3.8 ), on the other AMD FX 8350 (4.6), and on a laptop i5 3210M (2.5)

When tested on a model 7000000 poly. and a large brush(Voxel mode). On AMD is almost impossible to work, but on the i7-4770K is quite possible and a little worse for i5 3210M. And the difference is very noticeable when working on Intel and AMD. 

AMD for me - it's unpacking archives and a separate computer to render CPU :)

Yeah...Andrew knows there is a big difference between AMD CPU's and Intel's. And not just in raw computing power. He uses the Intel Thread Building Blocks library for Multi-threading, and obviously they are optimized to work better with Intel CPU's. There was an article not long ago, about AMD suing Intel for basically hamstringing non-Intel CPU's, with it's libraries. Don't know what came of it, but obviously nothing.

• Contributor

Andrew there seem to be big issue with proxy mode when "Downgrade all visible volumes" is used.

Some objects in Voxtree are disappearing or coming back with wrong position/scale.

If object are downgraded individually they are Ok,its only when using "Downgrade all visible volumes".

I sent file to support yesterday (approx. 700mb)

About new pose  falloff curve .

Can you explain how it works?

I see no differences in selection falloff when using lasso tool.

Probably I don't understand how it works.

Andrew there seem to be big issue with proxy mode when "Downgrade all visible volumes" is used.

Some objects in Voxtree are disappearing or coming back with wrong position/scale.

If object are downgraded individually they are Ok,its only when using "Downgrade all visible volumes".

I sent file to support yesterday (approx. 700mb)

About new pose  falloff curve .

Can you explain how it works?

I see no differences in selection falloff when using lasso tool.

Probably I don't understand how it works.

I will look&fix.

Pose - gizmo related to line/ring selection.

Ok, I may apply it for rect/lasso selection as well.

Updated to 4.0.14A

- export vector displacement accessible after baking as well.

Where do I find the vector displacement export? I can't find it. Which baking mode I have to use for this?

Vector displacement is really a important feature that is need for a long time.

Thank you

Chris

I have found how to get vector displacement. Use the merge hull into vertex mode.

But there is a bug when trying to bake the hull into vertex mode:

post-955-0-89914800-1390815574_thumb.jpg post-955-0-03299200-1390815098_thumb.jpg post-955-0-69513000-1390815093_thumb.jpg

Scene download: Get it...

EDIT: Solution found. My fault. Skan resolution for baking was too low.

• Reputable Contributor

What is wrong here? Any idea why this does not work?

It was a test scene. You can download it here: Download...

attachicon.gifautoretopo1.jpg attachicon.gifautoretopo2.jpg attachicon.gifautoretopo3.jpg

I would uncheck "Voxelize Before Quadrangulation"...I didn't get good results with that checked, in my own tests. OS, I always leave that off. Reduce the Automatic density Multiplier to around 1 and give it another try.

• Reputable Contributor

Where do I find the vector displacement export? I can't find it. Which baking mode I have to use for this?

Vector displacement is really a important feature that is need for a long time.

Thank you

Chris

Paint Room > TEXTURES > EXPORT > Vector Displacement map. I noticed that it was not an option when you merge to MV, but if you import an object into the Paint Room, it was available. Brought this to Andrew's attention, and hopefully this fixes it

• Advanced Member

I've recently become more fond of the Snap Tool in the Retopo room, but I find it somewhat unreliable in the last few point versions, at least.  That's about when I started using it.  I have some assets in the voxel room that need the retopo mesh snapped, but unfortunately, not all the assets are as symmetrical, as intended.  When I try to snap the retopo mesh, in those cases and even with symmetry turned off, the result often contains points snapped to other areas that are far away.  For instance, the hand of a character has points that snap to areas on the body, despite the fact that the figure is in a slight T-pose and the hand is far away from the body.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior and how did/do you get around it?  Can the Snap Tool get some improvement?

• Contributor

I see some very nice changes in the last two versions that I've yet need to try out. The 3D lasso in particular seems to be a very important addition. :)
But I have a question about one particular change. I don't understand it:

export vector displacement accessible after baking as well.

What does it mean to us? We could export it from MicroVertex Painting mode before, so it was already accessible after baking (and I don't think we could export it -before- baking). Can we now export it now from PPP as well or what? :wacko:

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

I see some very nice changes in the last two versions that I've yet need to try out. The 3D lasso in particular seems to be a very important addition. :)

But I have a question about one particular change. I don't understand it:

What does it mean to us? We could export it from MicroVertex Painting mode before, so it was already accessible after baking (and I don't think we could export it -before- baking). Can we now export it now from PPP as well or what? :wacko:

No. It means that for some odd reason, if you previously merged your model from the Retopo Room to the Paint Room via Microvertex mode, 3D Coat would not allow you to export a Vector Displacement map at any stage...even if you sculpting some in the Tweak Room. It was supposed to, but was overlooked (like many hastily-added tools that never got/get a tool-tip, nor mention in the manual, so people have to guess/experiment to find out what it does).

It's a fix...not a new feature. Would be nice if 3D Coat supported Vector Displacement Materials (Stamps) or Brushes. It only supports gray-scale maps.

• Like 2

• Contributor

No. It means that for some odd reason, if you previously merged your model from the Retopo Room to the Paint Room via Microvertex mode, 3D Coat would not allow you to export a Vector Displacement map at any stage...even if you sculpting some in the Tweak Room. It was supposed to, but was overlooked (like many hastily-added tools that never got/get a tool-tip, nor mention in the manual, so people have to guess/experiment to find out what it does).

It's a fix...not a new feature.

Ah, I see now. Thank you for clarifying this.

Would be nice if 3D Coat supported Vector Displacement Materials (Stamps) or Brushes. It only supports gray-scale maps.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/tRsDLIPVsic?start=44&end=53

• Contributor

Andrew,I'm currently fiddling with rendering and its pretty cool...with lamblight for example...but I think if one day if you would add HDRI cubemaps as lightsources it could be much better renderer because AO and lightscattering are already pretty cool.It works very much the same with rotation and height sliders in Luxion Keyshot.

Not sure how hard it would be to implement or if its really worth it.

• Like 1

I'm trying to use the retopo tools for the first time in quite a while, and whenever I create a face, no matter the tool, all that happens is the strokes/vertes/edges dissapear, no faces show up.

Right now I'm using just a regular integrated i5 4670 gpu instead of a dedicated one, so maybe 3DCoat doesn't like that?

Edited by PolyHertz

• Reputable Contributor

I'm trying to use the retopo tools for the first time in quite a while, and whenever I create a face, no matter the tool, all that happens is the strokes/vertes/edges dissapear, no faces show up.

Right now I'm using just a regular integrated i5 4670 gpu instead of a dedicated one, so maybe 3DCoat doesn't like that?

You're probably trying to apply geometry on the wrong side of the axis (w/symmetry on)...or you have the wrong Retopo layer selected, or the layer you have selected has the visibility turned off. These videos might help explain some of this.

• Advanced Member

Found a bug and reported in Mantis for 4.0.14.  Extrude direction set to vertex normal doesn't appear to work.  I used the Build Tool (inverted) on a cylinder and it only "squeezed" in in the view direction.

EDIT:  This was user error on my part...forgot to uncheck ignore back faces.  Disregard.

Edited by alvordr

You're probably trying to apply geometry on the wrong side of the axis (w/symmetry on)...

Yep, that was it. Thanks :)

One other question while I'm at it, how do you import more then one obj as reference meshes? I'd like to add extra elements to a retopo I'm working on but importing a reference resets the scene.

• Reputable Contributor

Yep, that was it. Thanks :)

One other question while I'm at it, how do you import more then one obj as reference meshes? I'd like to add extra elements to a retopo I'm working on but importing a reference resets the scene.

You can only import one OBJ FILE at a time, but if you gather all the objects you want to export from your host app, into one scene, you can select them all and when exporting all those objects are part of the file. It doesn't have to be one object per file.

Ok I don't know yet if this bug was fixed- I don't see a listing for it in the version updates thread. Mainly it's same bug others had in thread on

SOS section of this forum- where only the jpg of a file is left over and the file disappears from HD- think it is Mac issue

I'm running 4.0.11 Mac- Planning to go the route of data recovery and hope I can get the file back.

After this I will update to 4.0.13- but still would like to know if this Mac issue was fixed of the disappearing file (jpg only remains)

info on this appreciated

• Advanced Member

Would be nice if 3D Coat supported Vector Displacement Materials (Stamps) or Brushes. It only supports gray-scale maps.

Agreed. It's surprising how, after all of this time, Mudbox is still the only sculpting app which can do this. I can sort of understand why Pixologic never implemented it given the way they went with their proprietary Insert Multi Mesh feature, but not 3D Coat which still relies on greyscale maps. I'd love to see vector displacement "stamps" become the norm instead. That way the library you build (and share!) could be used in any sculpting app exactly as shown in the video you posted.

Ok I don't know yet if this bug was fixed- I don't see a listing for it in the version updates thread. Mainly it's same bug others had in thread on

SOS section of this forum- where only the jpg of a file is left over and the file disappears from HD- think it is Mac issue

I'm running 4.0.11 Mac- Planning to go the route of data recovery and hope I can get the file back.

After this I will update to 4.0.13- but still would like to know if this Mac issue was fixed of the disappearing file (jpg only remains)

info on this appreciated

I reported this problem to Mac programmer, he will contact you soon.

Excuse for this problem.

• Reputable Contributor

Aaaarrrrrggggghhhh!!! :wacko: Booleans in Surface mode. Do it at your own risk....just like switching between Voxel and Surface mode used to be. Cause it was not multi-threaded. Nor are Booleans in Surface mode. It "might" take a minute...it might take all day. Hope you got another PC to work on something else all day. Going on 30min now and it's still chugging away on one thread. With 11 other threads left idle. :mad:

• Advanced Member

Agreed. It's surprising how, after all of this time, Mudbox is still the only sculpting app which can do this. I can sort of understand why Pixologic never implemented it

given the way they went with their proprietary Insert Multi Mesh feature, but not 3D Coat which still relies on greyscale maps.

Note that in 3DCoat merging with the "on pen" option is available, which falls in the same category of tools as Insert Multi Meshes.

To me it appears a very odd and needlessly convoluted workflow to bake an image out of a 3D object (lossy in tendency) in order to transform portions

of a mesh to the shape of the original geometry – that is, when one can simply take the real (still editable) piece of geometry to perform that task as well :) .

I believe that this ear-sample created by the Mudbox-makers primarily was a proof of concept - intended to impress people. In this area that clip clearly was effective,

but I can not imagine anyone using that technique regularly – at least inside an application which allows merging in real geometry as well!

This is not intended as a talk against Vector Displacement – but I rather see its merits in use as texture-maps, derived from finished models.

• Like 1