3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

Question: Is anyone bothered by the fact that cut-off tool output mechanical cutting ?

There's no substance to the edge that result from a substraction with this tool. It's "useless" unless you do a smooth all or local smoothing with shift. Cut-off is an awesome tool but it suffers a terrible lack of edge output parameter (something like a "bevel" or even a simple relaxing value).

its an issue with cutt-off and booleans in surface mode.

Andrew made them super-sharp...

Its great because you can make a crazy spline-based cut on a 2k mesh and its gonna be super clean. :)

Like if the mesh was 5 million polys.

But its also its weakest point and why I prefer voxel cutting/booleans....its smoother,more forgiving,you get all kind of nice bevelling effects ect..

all the crazy HS stuff we see on facebook nowadays by guys like Fuad Quaderi are ALL in voxel mode.

Those guys never jump into Sf mode and its a shame because imo its where the gold truly is as far as freeform sculpting goes.It would be great to be able to do booleans and cuts with beveling in sf mode that somehow emulate the smooth and various outputs of voxel mode.

• Reputable Contributor

Question: Is anyone bothered by the fact that cut-off tool output mechanical cutting ?

There's no substance to the edge that result from a substraction with this tool. It's "useless" unless you do a smooth all or local smoothing with shift. Cut-off is an awesome tool but it suffers a terrible lack of edge output parameter (something like a "bevel" or even a simple relaxing value). You can't bake anything anything that looks ok with such hard edges.

It doesn't bake well at all, and for sculpt it looks so precise and "machine like" it doesn't work on any object (even for 3d printing and product modeling: there's nothing in the world that can have this physical sharpness, except maybe razors :/)

It's really a shame cause this tool could be a major "shaper" asset, we already have awesome "add" tools with removestretching and even voxels but there's nothing that can be as organic (or man-made looking) for substractions.

Something that you can't find anywhere else at the moment (zbrush clip curves are limited and buggy if you don't mask a lot and slicecurves require lot of extra work with polygroups and capping/splitting etc)

I wholeheartly agree with this input by Beat. A much needed feature is a beveling input slider for surface mode boolean operations.

Also voxel booleans could use some improvment on the edges after a cut. They tend to be a little raggy. To see what I mean do a cut on 1 million voxel object from several angles. Zoom in to the cut and where the new edges are on some cuts can be somewhat messy and zaggy. Higher voxel count objects hide the raggy nature better but it is still there. A new reordering routine of the edges after a cut could really improve the quality of the voxel boolean cuts as well.

Edited by digman

• Contributor

Do you mean... Panel Loops equivalent ?  :huh:

No, just the same thing as cut-off without the triangle tightening at the cut. I know Andrew did that to have clean hard surface cuts, but sometimes it's not in the user's best interest (and you need to use smooth all with relaxation which affect the entire mesh (and lose overall definition)

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, I will bring this up one more time.  The freeform pose cage still does not work like one would expect. I just choose the hand to tranpose it and it gets all stretch out of proportion because of the falloff routine that we have no control over. I used the 2 X 2 cage. The new regular 3D gizmo for the regular pose tool works like one would expect and I can transpose the entire hand.

Having falloff between the control points for the freeform cage is not a bad idea but without the user being able to control it, the tool becomes very very limited. Again proportional fallout like you have in a 3D modeling package is what we need or something that is similar to that which would work for both voxel and surface mode.

Linux version 4.0.15B non cuda 64 bit.

post-518-0-72630000-1393616267_thumb.png

Edited by digman

i was expecting _no_ falloff within the cage, the hand moving as a unit, and the falloff occuring between the cage and the forearm in digmans example picture, so you could , you know, _pose_ the hand, without mangling it. 

• Reputable Contributor

i was expecting _no_ falloff within the cage, the hand moving as a unit, and the falloff occuring between the cage and the forearm in digmans example picture, so you could , you know, _pose_ the hand, without mangling it. 

Yes, at one time this was what it was like but the falloff between control points was added. Falloff is not bad but without user control from "0" no falloff to "100" full falloff it has become very very limiting as stated in my other post...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

I think it would be great if there was an interactive slider for adjusting the falloff on the selected area in the pose tool.

Rather than a button that you need to press over and over to get more smoothing, it'd be great to adjust it in real time to make the selected area more smoothed out or sharper.

• Like 2

• Contributor

I think it would be great if there was an interactive slider for adjusting the falloff on the selected area in the pose tool.

Rather than a button that you need to press over and over to get more smoothing, it'd be great to adjust it in real time to make the selected area more smoothed out or sharper.

I'll share a script in a moment that will let you automatically smooth Pose selection with n-steps. It doesn't give interactive feedback, but I guess it's better than clicking your mouse to death.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Ya ! I was thinking the same thing last week.

• Advanced Member

Interesting...I just tried to bake using a cached vox layer and then did the same thing without it being cached.  The bake without it being cached looked a lot better, whereas the cached vox layer bake was splotchy.

Andrew:  If this could be looked at and perhaps easily fixed (uncache vox layers on bake option) or some other more performance enhanced way, I think you'll find less complaints for bakes.  I usually don't cache my volumes, but I've got some crazy high rez stuff going on for a project and caching the vox layers while I retopo'd sped things up, of course.  However, I didn't know the bake would be affected.  I'm using Version 4.0.16A.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

One thing I've noticed is happening in 4.0.16A is that it doesn't always bake symmetrically well:

jM9SNAjuNrqh0kwz-Region.png

I'm not sure why.

Oh...and thank you, Andrew for getting the "Delete all used layers" button in the Paint room working properly!

Edited by alvordr

I planned and promised several very important additions for paint room, but can't start them till 4.1 not released.

hey Andrew, before you release 4.1 i would like to see in retopo room

1. duplicate retopogroups ( without to snap on the voxel/surface object)

2. expand/contract the selection

Actually as you are talking about  4.1 there is an improvement i would like to see with voxtree panel.

let me explain shortly :

Working into the voxtree is really painful sometimes.

3. multiple voxlayer selection when you have to reparent lot of small objects, like teeth.

note : with the multiple selection we could also rename/merge several layer at the same time. 
Right click  > merge selected  , to prevent that by mistake we forget to unhide a layer before to merge
with multiple selection it would be easier to hide/unhide or enable/disable the ghost mode.

That would be greatly appreciated when it come to save time during production :)

Nicolas

Edited by fuzzzzzz

Updated to 4.0.16B

- New method of unwrapping - GU (globally ungorm unfolding) along with ABF, LSCM. It was not intended to be new feature, but idea appeared during fixing the crash in unwrap procedure.

There are comparison images:

http://pilgway.com/files/GloballyUniformUnfolding.gif

http://pilgway.com/files/LSCM_ABF_GU.gif

http://pilgway.com/files/ExtremeTest.gif

- Crease clay completely changed. Now depth defined by depth slider and strength determined by slider. Each has pressure curve. Adaptive details algorithm specially adopted to procuce cleanest result with Crease clay.

- several mantis problems fixed.

• Contributor

Yeah probably (yes mouse always have a blown out effect in 3dc). But still. I'll wait to have feedback from Artman but I'm pretty sure he'll say the same.

It's in those situation a simple multiplicator could benefit everyone: keep light pressure curve for extra progressive effect for those who want it (the general brush sensitivity is just that: nice but too "general" ^^)

• Contributor

I get good effect by blowing the curve a little and using 175....but 1-100 is definitly not enough. 1-250 maybe

500-800? weird I dont need that much high values...

But for very small strokes I need 200....otherwize  it feels like really weak wrinkles.

• Contributor

It's more about 400-500 actually, 800 was with steady stroke messing with the pressure.

But it's a bit weak. I've set my tablet to use a progressive curve and I'm only at the next tick from center toward firm. So it's not extreme.

@Artman don't forget I like very hash creasing, so I tend to push pinching and I therefore need a bigger extrusion to have a significant impact. Also, we talked about it: I like to go bold on those creases ;)

This is the result of 400depth, 1.5 details, 1. smoothing, 1. strenght, with a mouse. It doesn't look extreme to me.

pinchcrease.png

Can someone reproduce this crash?

1. Open 3D-Coat

2. In Startwindow: Select voxel sculpting

3. Select the smallest default voxel sphere (1st one)

4. Switch to Retopo room

5. Click on UV->Mark seams

-> crash!

Happens in version 4.0.16B

• Contributor

1. Open 3D-Coat

4. Switch to Retopo room

-> crash!

Yep. In my case it's since 16A. Not everyone is experiencing this though.

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1431

• Reputable Contributor

1. Open 3D-Coat

4. Switch to Retopo room

-> crash!

Confirmed.

Also if you turn off create edge loops when using the Autopo routine under the vox tree tab in the voxel room 3DC crashes as well. I used the smallest default voxel sphere to test...

Edited by digman

• Contributor

One of my voxel layers I was working on just a moment ago has disappeared!

I was sculpting some stuff on it, then I switched to Photoshop to create some masks. When I switched back to 3D Coat I have noticed that I cannot sculpt on my layer anymore. The brush circle didn't show up, like the surface wasn't there. But I could still see the surface with my own eyes, in the viewport! So, thinking it was just some minor visual glitch I saved the scene and restarted 3D Coat. Imagine my surprise when I saw that my VoxTree layer was empty.

For what it's worth, before I switched to Photoshop I had ExtrudeClay brush selected and mask visible in the viewport.