3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

Whenever I save a scene I loose tablet pressure detection in 3D Coat. To restore it I need to ALT+TAB to some other program and back again to 3D Coat. This is a long-standing problem. It's been around since I don't even remember what version, but for many, many months for sure. I don't think it's a Wacom driver problem, because it doesn't happen in other applications and it occurs with Bamboo Fun and Intuos5 Pro, which use different drivers as far as I know.

• Contributor

Whenever I save a scene I loose tablet pressure detection in 3D Coat. To restore it I need to ALT+TAB to some other program and back again to 3D Coat. This is a long-standing problem. It's been around since I don't even remember what version, but for many, many months for sure. I don't think it's a Wacom driver problem, because it doesn't happen in other applications and it occurs with Bamboo Fun and Intuos5 Pro, which use different drivers as far as I know.

I loose it all the time...especially when minimizing/maximizing 3Dcoat.

I reported many times....I think Andrew is not able to reproduce.

Possibly a wacom driver issue..but that would only affect 3dCoat (thus a 3Dcoat issue :) haha).

I experience this too. It is one of the weirdest bugs, thought it doesn't only happen with 3DC for me. It also happens in Photoshop CS3. Alt-Tabbing fixes it sometimes, otherwise rebooting the software is required to fix it.

It has to do with when the app refreshes its tablet on/off value. I've found a lot of apps are only guaranteed to refresh when un-minimized / made active, so minimize with whatever and then un-minimize using your tablet. Most programs like photoshop are supposed to refresh their status when a brush action occurs but it's not nearly as reliable.

Edited by PolyHertz
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

This only usually happens to me when 3dCoat has been a bit tasked for an operation, I just hit the FN 1 button on my Bamboo. It is just a minor annoyance at the moment. I always just had the feeling it was because my computer is old and it cant keep up. But I have no clue really.

It has to do with when the app refreshes its tablet on/off value. I've found a lot of apps are only guaranteed to refresh when un-minimized / made active, so minimize with whatever and then un-minimize using your tablet. Most programs like photoshop are supposed to refresh their status when a brush action occurs but it's not nearly as reliable.

Thanks for that, it's good to know. I suppose it even makes sense in some way.

im attaching the model with troubles

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34697396/head.7z

ty

found it

points are INSIDE the model

with the model in ghost mode, can see the points -pic attached-

post-10142-0-24832600-1395141171_thumb.j

---------------------

Look when i try to add a new points: there is 2 points, the dot and the circle

One is the point/faces tool cursor used to apply the point

the another one is where the point tool is added... inside the model

post-10142-0-03608600-1395141550_thumb.j

------------------

and

retopo room

symmetry on

add a point in the right side

the point was created -by symmetry in the left side-

delete the right side point

left side point remains

• Advanced Member

Is it laptop? Specifications? Are you sure it is not overheating?

Please continue sending mails to support@3d-coat.com

It's not a laptop and my specs are in my signature for this machine.  I doubt it's overheating.  I don't have these problems in any other program, whether it be modeling or gaming.  I was only asking if anyone else was having the same problem.  Otherwise, it suggests it's something to do with my machine.

• Contributor

Little bug:

When I use Shift to smooth while a brush with RS is activated, polys are added after smoothing.

I just want to smooth ...no needs for RS after smoothing,

(although it could be useful  sometimes so maybe should be added to SHift/CTRl+Shift rollout menus.)

something weird using symmetry and virtual mirror mode at Retopo room

please help me to clarify (may be im doing bad steps)

if i switch from sculpt room to retopo room with symmetry X on, and begin to add polygons in the model right side

same polygons are added to left side in perfect symmetry

If i look at Menu Retopo > is find virtual mode OFF by default, ok

When i put Virtual mode ON, the left side virtual polys and the symmetry generated polys are overlapped -this for me make sense-

Now when i put Virtual mode OFF and continue adding more polys to the right side -always symmetry ON- no more polys are created at left side.

- something is crossing lines here, but i cant find the logic :wacko:  -bug?-

Any help is welcome :)

• Reputable Contributor

something weird using symmetry and virtual mirror mode at Retopo room

please help me to clarify (may be im doing bad steps)

if i switch from sculpt room to retopo room with symmetry X on, and begin to add polygons in the model right side

same polygons are added to left side in perfect symmetry

If i look at Menu Retopo > is find virtual mode OFF by default, ok

When i put Virtual mode ON, the left side virtual polys and the symmetry generated polys are overlapped -this for me make sense-

Now when i put Virtual mode OFF and continue adding more polys to the right side -always symmetry ON- no more polys are created at left side.

- something is crossing lines here, but i cant find the logic :wacko:  -bug?-

Any help is welcome :)

I confirm that is a bug... You have to turn the symmetry plane off and then back on before it starts to work correctly again. Even if you apply symmetry first and then turn off virtual symmetry you still get the bug as well.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Guys, please put some feedback in this thread and the Mantis report. I feel like fighting windmills here. :(

Really, is everybody perfectly fine with this issue??? :o

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11780&hl=discrepancy

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1120

Long standing workflow killer there on the part where you can not import a model that has multiple uv sets into the retopo room. All the uv islands get applied to the one default uv set. I will plus one later today...

Also when merging to the paint room even if you rename your uv sets in the merge dialog box, 3DC renames (adds to the name) plus the other things addressed in your post and links...

I try to name my voxel room layers, retopo group layers and uv sets for those layers all the same name for each layer, but then 3DC messes with them... :wacko:

Edited by digman

Not sure if this was mentioned but I'm using 3DC on a new computer so I have to set everything up all over and I noticed that I can no longer install ABR brushes.  I normally have the default Photoshop Brushes installed and nothing happens if I try to add the ABR file. If I drag the file into the UI I just get a small button that says "can". I assume this is supposed to be cancel and part of it is cut off.

03.19.2014-19.28.png

- Attempt to resolve "loosing pressure" issue on Wacom. It is Wacom's bug so I need to do different sort of "strange hacks" to avoid this.

- Retopo groups may be treated as Objects, not as Materials (as before, but you may switch to old style in preferences). It is much more logical, but this change requires careful check, it is potentially unsafe. To be honest it was far not easy to change.

- Stability of strokes shape on very curvy shapes improved - http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1440

- Steady Stroke AUTO OFF when press Shift key for quick smooth

• Like 3

• Contributor

Andrew, I gave it a short test on a complex model and... I can't stress it enough on how grateful I am that you fixed this!

This issue was, like Digman said - a real workflow killer.

Beautiful job, Andrew! :clapping:

This build is one of the best so far. :)

Well, there's one tiny thing that could use a fix. When retopo mesh is imported into retopo room, a room change is required to properly update the UV-sets list. But it's no biggie of course.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

So far so good. :) Only one bug (actually experienced this in previous builds, too) so far:

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1451

Yep, there are many problems with popup windows. And this isn't the the only one with the colour palette. For example:

1. Undock the palette window.

2. Clear it and close it.

3. Open it again.

4. Add a colour swatch.

5. Right click the newly added colour swatch. The context menu will appear but it will be the "Load, save, small, etc." one instead of "Delete all, delete, insert, edit color". To make the latter appear, you need to change rooms to voxel room (switching to other rooms won't help) and back again to paint room.

6. Right click the colour swatch. Voila.

When I have some free time, I'll try to report all of them to Mantis.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Did someothing happen with the Surface Pinch tool?  I seem to recall osme menttion of it and now it doesn't seem to be pinching, just acting like Draw.

works fine on my side in 17A/18...it just pinch,(no draw action)

Yep, there are many problems with popup windows. And this isn't the the only one with the colour palette. For example:

1. Undock the palette window.

2. Clear it and close it.

3. Open it again.

4. Add a colour swatch.

5. Right click the newly added colour swatch. The context menu will appear but it will be the "Load, save, small, etc." one instead of "Delete all, delete, insert, edit color". To make the latter appear, you need to change rooms to voxel room (switching to other rooms won't help) and back again to paint room.

6. Right click the colour swatch. Voila.

When I have some free time, I'll try to report all of them to Mantis.

I can confirm that, thanks for outlining it. :)

I found another one to do with UV maps. Reported on Mantis.