3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

post-37729-0-24457100-1396119793_thumb.p

I don't know how easy or hard of a fix this is, but it seems like many brushes, especially when dealing with curved surfaces behave like this when they start to go over the edge. Is anyone else having this kind of problem? Is it just a setting that I am not using correctly? I have so far tried adjusting my normal sampling but that has not helped. Thanks in advance!

• Reputable Contributor

Depth shaders problem resolved by clean install of version 4.1 in Linux Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Thanks Andrew for the fixing this long standing issue. :D

Once I completely had a clean install of 4.1, I no longer have depth shader problems.

The problem in 4.1 was a corruption somewhere in the betas as first I just overwrote the last RC beta we had with the official release version.

I will continue to watch the depth shaders so if a problem arises hopefully there will be none but if there are, then I can pin point the problem quicker.

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Update... I did find another source of problem with the depth Shader...

I loaded my background image that I use when sculpting, an jpg image and the problems return... I will check other file formats...

So for right now, the normal internal 3DC vertical gradient works with no problems...

Edit:

I tested the png file format as well, same problem of the glitch and when you invert the brush stroke, it does not appear till you move the model.

Edited by digman

I discovered a bug in the paint room. When using the Clone tool and pressure sensitivity on, it's OK when brushing but when you lift up the pen that spot gets erased. It seems similar to the old problem with spikes appearing at the end of the stroke in the Voxel room. I'd post video but I just remembered it while I'm out and on my phone.

Edit:  Here's the video I couldn't make earlier.

http://screencast.com/t/TVxOaWAWE

I was wondering. Since GU unwrapping gives better results that LSCM and ABF, why won't Andrew removes LSCM and ABF? I would simplify 3dc UI and make user work simpler.

I would guess because Andrew cannot and probably should not decide what works best for everyone regarding every potential job. Having choices here allows the artist to decide what works best for each situation.

• Advanced Member

unity2k. 
IMO this way of thinking (let's do not drop obsolete feature x,y,z because someone may be using it) may lead us to this kind of ui:

openoffice-mouse.jpg

While it seems flexible, customizable and powerfull, but  I  would rather have one option that works just as good (or better), without need for reading manual  and steep learning curve. Just like that:

mighty_mouse.jpg

I'm exaggerating but I hope it is clear what I meant. In the end for me it is not big problem, but for new users it may be not user friendly.

Edited by JoseConseco

• Advanced Member

I was wondering. Since GU unwrapping gives better results that LSCM and ABF, why won't Andrew removes LSCM and ABF? I would simplify 3dc UI and make user work simpler.

JoseConsesco, although GU might be better in many different cases, for hard-surface uv's I often find that LSCM works better for many of them, in fact, I had to use that unwrap method for three different islands on my last model of a plasma cannon, but, for the connector pipe and most of the cannon, GU did just fine. So in short, while for possibly 8/10 times, GU will give the better results, it is important to keep the older versions as well for the better results they can give in those other few situations. If you would like, I will send you some screenshots detailing this.

I'm exaggerating but I hope it is clear what I meant. In the end for me it is not big problem, but for new users it may be not user friendly.

I know what you mean and I love software evolving and constantly improving, hence why I use Blender, UE4 and Substance Designer - here we are in agreement. 3D Coat user friendly? When a majority of people find Photoshop difficult, I don't think anyone would put 3D Coat or Zbrush for that matter on the table of user friendly :)

• Advanced Member

These days I tried GU on a complex quad dominant mesh exported from a CAD program and found that this algorythm created a lot of self intersections.

Both LSCM and ABF behaved better. I think there were better oportunities for getting rid of complexity than removal of unrolling options. The mighty mouse

for me as a product designer is a glaring example of a failed simplification approach too.

Edited by polyxo

• Reputable Contributor

One feature request (or maybe its somewhere, but im only missing it):

Lathe-tool in primitives:

Would it be possible to have a option to rotate the curve-profile grid counterclock wise to 90° ?

That would be more intuitive for me, since the primitives are upright (not laying)

+1

Retopo room LAG in 64-bit:

4.1.0.0 X64 and possibly earlier releases are slow in retopo room - snapping to a 300K poly ref-mesh is lagging,  making retopo annoying.

4.1.0.0 X86 same 300K poly ref mesh is lightning fast, no lag in retopo room even with almost finished retopo.

(dualcore) E8500 3.17Ghz  win7 4GB RAM

What is the explanation?

Edited by mercy

0001465: An option to rotate the curve-profile grid counterclock wise to 90°

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1465

-----------------------------

0001463: AUTOPO function very slow (3DC 4.1)

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1463

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

0001468: Quick Access Windows / spacebar menu is HUGE. Could be changed please ?

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1468

any +1 is very welcome :)

You definitely have my +1 on this issue

Also: 0001443: Symmetry snap toggle like in splines tool

If someone could please look at this too, I think it would be awesome to be able to snap to the symmetry line as an option just like the spline tool has. That would allow for some quick perfect straight strokes, if anyone else thinks that's a good idea, http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1443 If you do not think so, please let me know why as there very well may be an easier way of doing this that I have not found :)

• Reputable Contributor

0001468: Quick Access Windows / spacebar menu is HUGE. Could be changed please ?

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1468

any +1 is very welcome :)

Yes, yes, yes. Please. That think is HUGE....which defeats the whole purpose of having it in the first place. It's massive girth is why I NEVER use it, now.

• Contributor

Yes, yes, yes. Please. That think is HUGE....which defeats the whole purpose of having it in the first place. It's massive girth is why I NEVER use it, now.

Maybe a customisable radial menu could be a good solution here?
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

@ the spacebar menu issue: I also find it unusable in its current state.

For those who prefer text based buttons offering a solution was really simple.Recreate the same thing as text and it will need

less than half of the screen estate.

A solution for those who prefer pictures for brushes a solution might be that one offers multi-key shortcuts while the

Tool panel has focus. Pressing "BC" on the keyboard could give BuildClay (similar to what Zbrush offers here).

Then one could have the row of icons of of favorite tools and underneath a list of recently useed tools, All remaining

ones could get called by pressing the first letter (which spits out a list of all tools which say start with the letter "B"

and further isolated by also keying in the first letter of the second syllable: "BC". That way one should yield a reasonably

sized panel.

Edited by polyxo

• Advanced Member

The size is not much of an issue to me, does it depends on screen-resolution/ size of a Display (but im in for every kind of customization nevertheless)?

But an other question, can the presets panel be also linked to spacebar-menu instead (as option), or is that option available right now?

If not, that maybe would be a feature for spacebar-menu, to satisfy the needs.

What do you think?

• Reputable Contributor

The size is not much of an issue to me, does it depends on screen-resolution/ size of a Display (but im in for every kind of customization nevertheless)?

But an other question, can the presets panel be also linked to spacebar-menu instead (as option), or is that option available right now?

What do you think?

I think something like the marking menus in Maya, Mudbox and Modo, where you hit the SPACE bar and a category list is presented (the tool panel is arranged in categories, so you swipe or click the category and a smaller list of tools in that category (or quick access list) are right under your cursor

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I think something like the marking menus in Maya, Mudbox and Modo, where you hit the SPACE bar and a category list is presented (the tool panel is arranged in categories, so you swipe or click the category and a smaller list of tools in that category (or quick access list) are right under your cursor

I agree with this the most, mostly because I think that this would be more efficient for those using a wacom stylus. Instead of having to type in keys, we could use the stylus as our mouse to quickly narrow down the selection choices. 

• Advanced Member

Marking menus indeed have the advantage of being usable without keyboard. What slows them down is that they needed

to have two layers of hierarchy Transform>Pose, Objects>Primitives etc. That means that one needed to recall categories as

well as the Tool/Brush name itself. Just as a test: Who knows by heart what category the Instancer-Tool belongs to? I personally

would not consider this an improvement.

Edited by polyxo

• Advanced Member
Marking menus indeed have the advantage of being usable without keyboard. What slows them down is that they needed

to have two layers of hierarchy Transform>Pose, Objects>Primitives etc. That means that one needed to recall categories as

well as the Tool/Brush name itself. Just as a test: Who knows by heart what category the Instancer-Tool belongs to? I personally

Point well taken, I do not know that off the top of my head, thank you for bringing that point up

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

What do you think?

I can't speak for maya but in Modo, you can create your own forms that can pop up anywhere. You can have it cursor based, or with a button, relative to the button. It can be a pie, a vertical list, horizontal list, etc..

• Contributor

I found a Bug.

If you are in PaintRoom or Voxelroom and use a Material.

Klick on a Material, Change the Projection Type to Cube Mapping and move the Material with the Gizmo Menu.

Looks like invertet.

Could anybody confirm that?

Is this confirmed?

Can't look at shaders at the moment as I'm on my phone but I do agree about the spacebar menu. Since the icons were added it's much too big. I actually like the icons and the layout of it. I think ideally it would be fine if the icons were smaller and the user changeable area was directly under the mouse when it popped up.

• Reputable Contributor

Most of the tools are placed in intuitive locations. I think Instancer should be placed in the OBJECTS category, rather than ADJUST. The real appeal to marking menus isn't so much that it keeps the menu items close to your cursor. It's because muscle memory begins to take over after a while, and it's much faster to access...after you've trained your brain. :D

• Advanced Member

It's because muscle memory begins to take over after a while, and it's much faster to access...after you've trained your brain. :D

Weil, I know marking menus from other apps I use and never quite got used to them. Brains work differently...

As I prefer text based buttons anyway one could make me happy enough with an option to display what the current panel as text buttons.

Should be a lot smaller.

• Like 1