3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

I think something like the marking menus in Maya, Mudbox and Modo, where you hit the SPACE bar and a category list is presented (the tool panel is arranged in categories, so you swipe or click the category and a smaller list of tools in that category (or quick access list) are right under your cursor

Just to clarify, Maya's marking menu isn't the same thing as Maya's spacebar menu. Marking menus support mouse/pen gestures and are fully customisable (and this is what I'd like to see in 3D Coat). Maya's spacebar menu doesn't support gestures, nor it's customisable (at least not directly and easily).

Customisable and context sensitive marking menus with gesture support could eliminate the need of using a lot of key shortcuts in 3D Coat.

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

Just to clarify, Maya's marking menu isn't the same thing as Maya's spacebar menu. Marking menus support mouse/pen gestures and are fully customisable (and this is what I'd like to see in 3D Coat). Maya's spacebar menu doesn't support gestures, nor it's customisable (at least not directly and easily).

Customisable and context sensitive marking menus with gesture support could eliminate the need of using a lot of key shortcuts in 3D Coat.

I understand that, but in 3D Coat we already have a lot assigned to RMB. Wasn't suggesting an exact copy of the way it works there. Just the concept in general. I like the Icons and all, but they are just way too large, to be of any practical use. Should be 1/3 the current size, IMHO....and I'd be good with that, personally. A text-only option would be nice, too. If Andrew does address this, I hope he will move the whole toolbar to the Tool Options Panel...in order to help de-clutter the UI, and put all the "Tool Options" in the....well...Tool Options Panel. :)  He said he agreed. Just hasn't gotten around to it, yet.

post-1118-0-44645500-1396416379_thumb.jp

post-1118-0-48431900-1396416395_thumb.pn

post-1118-0-46620000-1396416404_thumb.jp

• Reputable Contributor

I understand that, but in 3D Coat we already have a lot assigned to RMB. Wasn't suggesting an exact copy of the way it works there. Just the concept in general. I like the Icons and all, but they are just way too large, to be of any practical use. Should be 1/3 the current size, IMHO....and I'd be good with that, personally. A text-only option would be nice, too. If Andrew does address this, I hope he will move the whole toolbar to the Tool Options Panel...in order to help de-clutter the UI, and put all the "Tool Options" in the....well...Tool Options Panel. :)  He said he agreed. Just hasn't gotten around to it, yet.

...BTW, this was requested on Mantis back in 2010! Holy cow. :huh:

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=47

• Advanced Member

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question - I haven't been retopoing in awhile (since an early 4beta last Aug maybe)  and now I'm using what I believe is the latest 4.1, but what is the deal with the sensitivity on Auto select for the Move Vertices tool in the Retopo room. I don't remember it being this hard to select a vertex vs an edge or a face when in Auto.  For some reason, setting to Vetices does not select ANY point at all - and the only way to select a vertex for the Move Vertices tool is to set it to Auto and very very carefully select the vertex - there is no "nearby" play as their used to be so retopo with tweaking is massively a pain now compared to how easy it used to be on Auto.  I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this is a new quirk/bug or something.

My reference object is normal sized at about 2m tall.  Any help would be appreciated. thanks :)

• Reputable Contributor

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question - I haven't been retopoing in awhile (since an early 4beta last Aug maybe)  and now I'm using what I believe is the latest 4.1, but what is the deal with the sensitivity on Auto select for the Move Vertices tool in the Retopo room. I don't remember it being this hard to select a vertex vs an edge or a face when in Auto.  For some reason, setting to Vetices does not select ANY point at all - and the only way to select a vertex for the Move Vertices tool is to set it to Auto and very very carefully select the vertex - there is no "nearby" play as their used to be so retopo with tweaking is massively a pain now compared to how easy it used to be on Auto.  I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this is a new quirk/bug or something.

My reference object is normal sized at about 2m tall.  Any help would be appreciated. thanks :)

No problems in the Linux version 4.1 non cuda 64 bit so far, maybe a windows version problem only. Catch me online sometime and we can go over it...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Sorry no problem here, move along.  I was using a client's pc and mouse and accidentally hit the touch mouse button that accidentally kept setting my radius too small. d'oh!

User error... lol

• Contributor

...BTW, this was requested on Mantis back in 2010! Holy cow. :huh:

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=47

;)

Textual/multisize icons were suggested even before the current Quick Access menu (and when the QA menu was added the same option was asked...)... like you say "HOLY COW !".

And because it's never too late to repost 'at the time' overhaul 4.0 mockups: toolbar_proposal2.jpg

In any case, I don't know if you noticed but 2 of the most helpful guy on UI input changes have been absent from the board for a few months now (I'm not considering one of them btw, I just wrote ~20 pages of feedback and mockups but those other two are the one who talked to Andrew to make most of the change in 4.0 happen)...

I think they would still be more present if the contributions were actually fruitful... but keep trying guys, you've got nothing to lose :)

• Like 3

• Advanced Member
;)

Textual/multisize icons were suggested even before the current Quick Access menu (and when the QA menu was added the same option was asked...)... like you say "HOLY COW !".

And because it's never too late to repost 'at the time' overhaul 4.0 mockups: toolbar_proposal2.jpg

In any case, I don't know if you noticed but 2 of the most helpful guy on UI input changes have been absent from the board for a few months now (I'm not considering one of them btw, I just wrote ~20 pages of feedback and mockups but those other two are the one who talked to Andrew to make most of the change in 4.0 happen)...

I think they would still be more present if the contributions were actually fruitful... but keep trying guys, you've got nothing to lose :)

I absolutely love that tool options panel, and I think that any user of another digital sculpting package who was trying to switch over would find that menu much more appealing. Don't get me wrong I couldn't love 3d-coat more and in fact don't even use anything else anymore, but as for extending marketability, I think something that simple could really influence a new user's opinion on the program in general!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Reputable Contributor

;)

And because it's never too late to repost 'at the time' overhaul 4.0 mockups: toolbar_proposal2.jpg

I agree on those suggestions. They make a lot of sense, and I really like the idea of keeping all the tool adjustments in the TOOL panel. That includes the E-Panel Draw modes, and ALL the toolbar adjustments. Keep everything centrally located, rather than spread out across the UI. It's already easy to clutter it with multiple panels all over the place. Consolidation is the best approach....and that would include an Outliner Panel that gives you access to scene assets across the entire app. with sub-panels that reveal the current Paint Layers, Vox Tree and Retopo Groups.

So, in each Room, you have one Tool Panel (Brush options would be a subsection/panel of that), one Outliner, and perhaps a parent ASSETS Panel (Brushes, Materials, Masks, Shaders, etc). Everything would be easy to find, and more efficiently accessed.

• Contributor

So, in each Room, you have one Tool Panel (Brush options would be a subsection/panel of that), one Outliner, and perhaps a parent ASSETS Panel (Brushes, Materials, Masks, Shaders, etc). Everything would be easy to find, and more efficiently accessed.

You mean, like, cohesive design and expected UI placement ? ;)

One thing I can say: you can thank LJB for most of the good changes on 4.0, unfortunately what you've requested today, was either: requested back then OR planned, but never seen the light of the day... (Carlosan can be my witness here, he's got a partial doc design in his possession to confirm In fact: you've got it now)

Andrew does a good job, really, no doubt about it, but either he's too short of staff, or he doesn't know when to listen to users expectation as a whole. Those aren't new features, those aren't new paradigm shifting functions. Those are basic notions, you don't need UI designer for that part of the job, at least not for those issues (I mean I did a crappy job with the mockup back then, but the idea is simple and logical enough to get it done).

• Like 1

Is anybody having trouble with Symmetry? I can't seem to lock the plane when working with Voxels. For example, when I use the Transform tool, it moves the Symmetry plane along with the Voxels, causing weird stuff to happen. I checked the Symmetry option and Lock is enabled.

If it's working fine for others, would anybody know why it might not be working correctly here? Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm using the download from the beginning of this thread, which I'm assuming is the latest build.

G.

Tab key is used to move symmetry plane

do you have it used by any keyboard shortcut ?

Shouldn't be...this is clean install on this computer (my home workstation.) Sorry, I need to check this again, something seems different but it might just be me.

Here's the situation: I have a fish with a pectoral fin on either side of the body but the fins are detached from the body (the fins are also in a separate layer.) I thought that if I positioned the transform gizmo over one fin, enabled symmetry, then I could move both fins toward the body. Instead, when I move the gizmo toward the body, the Symmetry Plane moves with the gizmo and both fins move in the same direction, that is, only one fin moves toward the body. Just wondering if this is what I should expect and maybe I'm trying to accomplish this task incorrectly?

Thanks for any info.

G.

Edited by D.R. Greenlaw

• Contributor

Using the Transpose tool, for moving like you describe, you would delete the Symmetry plane and move the right fin> then re-establish the symmetry plane and copy the right side to the left using the mirror copy icon at the bottom of the voxel window.

• Advanced Member

Is there anything goofy with the symmetry plane in the latest 4.1?  Probably user error again, but I'm having trouble in the retopo room getting the symmetry plane to move when I have symmetry on Z axis - and yes it is unlocked.  Won't move at all.

Also, there should be a way to flip between 0,0,0 sym plane and bounging box per visible layer.  Like lets say I have a sub-object I'm retopoing and it is symmetrical on its Z-axis (but only within the bound box of the reference mesh for that layer)  - that would help retopoing complex multilayer objects.

• Advanced Member

One more dumb question about 4.1.  Is there an EdgeLoop Extrude in the Retopo Room? Like Quad - Parallel but for an EdgeLoop internal - for like making rings quickly inwards from an edgelooped hole when I dont want Cap.  thanks :)

Sometimes when creating geometry in retopology mode on thin'ish surfaces part of it will end up on the other side of the surface (especially when using the Strokes tool). Is there a way to push the geometry outward from its normal and then re-snap it to the correct surface instead of having to delete it and try again?

• Reputable Contributor

Sometimes when creating geometry in retopology mode on thin'ish surfaces part of it will end up on the other side of the surface (especially when using the Strokes tool). Is there a way to push the geometry outward from its normal and then re-snap it to the correct surface instead of having to delete it and try again?

Use the SELECT tool > Select the offending vert(s) > TRANSFORM Tool. When you use the Transform tool, I think it temporarily deactivates Snapping, until you leave the tool. You could also choose RELAX while in the Select tool, and vertices are chosen (not sure why it is not available for edges or poly's), and many time that will pop the vert back out. With snapping turned off, you can use the Brush tool as a MOVE tool, also.

Just a few different ways to address it.

• Advanced Member

Ok I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not, but are there plans to allow crease weights to be imported along with models so that when subdividing an imported mesh it respects edges that you want to remain creased?

There was talk about implementing something that would definitely retain edge weights, but not sure if it can be mentioned. We'll have to wait for Andrew to comment on that one.

• Advanced Member
There was talk about implementing something that would definitely retain edge weights, but not sure if it can be mentioned. We'll have to wait for Andrew to comment on that one.

Ok thank you Javis!

Updated to 4.1.01

Layers groups are not included there, not finished. This build intended as service build to 4.1.00. It fixes several problems of 4.1.00.

I need your help to test if this build is really worth everyone's usage for neares 4-5 months while we will dive into beta stage.

- fixed airbrush in paint room

- fixed problem of 2x lathe size

- improved autopo usability, UI a bit changed. For complex shapes using of "Voxelize" recommended.

- New primitive - Text.

- Sketch tool problems fixed.

- Merge tool + Merge as skin works in real units and draws preview.

- Pick from retopo centrifies gizmo.

- Undo with intersect fixed in voxel mode.

I was modeling with 3D-Coat a lot, so many fixes was result of that.

I bought 3D-printer, so some t=changes related to this area (text + lathe).

• Like 2

• Contributor

Here's a problem in 4.1.01:

post-1430-0-53549400-1397412599_thumb.pn

I saved this last night in the previous build and opened it in the new build to find that the colors had disappeared :( .

Unfortunately, reverting to the previous build did not solve the problem. Any suggestions on how to retrieve the colors?

Edited by Tony Nemo