3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

Hey Andrew, after layer groups are implemented, any word on if we'll be seeing Photoshop compatible layer masks?

Also, this is a long standing issue with the paint room that would be great to see fixed (they're both essentially the same problem):

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=705

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=706

• Reputable Contributor

Here's a problem in 4.1.01:

attachicon.gifColorless.png

I saved this last night in the previous build and opened it in the new build to find that the colors had disappeared :( .

Unfortunately, reverting to the previous build did not solve the problem. Any suggestions on how to retrieve the colors?

In the newest beta version, how models are imported, changing from the old version to newest beta version has changed. Also if you save your file it will create an additonal uv set and place your retopo mesh there and then default is now empty.

Two uv sets are created. (Default and another Default with a number after it.)  Your retopo mesh should be on the second uv set. 

I made a bug report because I had the same problem a few weeks ago about this and Andrew explained to me what has changed...

He said he might add an index so the correct uv appears first and not the empty one...

In the UV's drop box choose the correct uv set and the retopo mesh will appear.

The picture just shows the location of where to find the second uv set. The second one is not here as I not created a retopo mesh yet or saved the file.

post-518-0-92442300-1397419152_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Contributor

Thanks for the clarification (d'oh, I cleared it and started over at which time I discovered I could proceed much faster with Quads than I could trying to get the Strokes tool to give me 4 segments around the diagonal pieces. I had done it successfully before but my technique must not have been repeatable. They would not respond to one or more 'joining' strokes or with multiple slices, would give random and misplaced polygons.

• Advanced Member

The airbrush bug has definitely been fixed Andrew, and as I used it today for my project, not a moment too soon! Also, the retopology is working quite grandly for me, what was taking multiple hours now takes about 21 minutes with maximum quality settings and I must say that the results are utterly fantastic! In twenty-one minutes I actually received a fully working animateable mesh, something that would have taken me no less than 5 hours plus tweaking the old fashioned way. Yes there was a little bit of touch up, but that was to be expected, still, 45 minutes or 5 hours, I will take the 45 minutes any day! Also, thank you for adding the button with the link to a picture detailing how to effectively use the splines in autopo, they really helped my results! Also, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not (I'm pretty sure it's user error on my part), but when I attempt to import an obj file that has multiple objects within it into the uv room, it comes up with two uv sets (even though there are 10 models) and when I click ok and attempt to access them both, only the first one is available. So I guess my first question is, how do I get a seperate uv map for each object upon import, and secondly, how do I effectively use the uv-sets? Thanks in advance! 

• Advanced Member

my first question is, how do I get a seperate uv map for each object upon import, and secondly, how do I effectively use the uv-sets?

I had a similar problem the other day. It turned out the problem was the program I exported the OBJ from (Modo). I simply had to activate the option 'Save Meshes as Groups' in the preferences, and the OBJ imported into 3D Coat fine with separate objects and corresponding UV sets.

Depending on what App you use you might have to set a similar option before exporting.

Edited by wilson66
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
I had a similar problem the other day. It turned out the problem was the program I exported the OBJ from (Modo). I simply had to activate the option 'Save Meshes as Groups' in the preferences, and the OBJ imported into 3D Coat fine with separate objects and corresponding UV sets.

Depending on what App you use you might have to set a similar option before exporting.

Thank you very much! I'll try this as soon as possible today, that seems like that would certainly do the trick!

• Advanced Member

just a suggestion, and i apologize if im out of line, but maybe this new version should be the "stable" version. Because having a stable version where airbrush doesn't work, seems like it could dishearten new users wanting to learn the program...

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I have just tried importing my model with seperate objects into the uv mapping room, but for some reason, every single time I try this, 3d-coat crashes. My settings are: Keep UV (because if not 3d-coat doesn't respect the different objects), No Subdivision, No Smoothing, 1024 for each uv set, and nothing checked on the left hand side. I am also exporting from blender if that makes a difference? I was able to get farther however, so thank you Wilson66! If someone could check that bug, that would be great, if you need, I will attempt to send the obj file as 3d-coat crashes too quickly to save a .3b file

• Advanced Member

will you please do same test using collada .dae export ?

I just tried doing the same test using .dae export, however, from blender there is no export option to export objects as groups, and as soon as I tried it, 3d-coat once again shut down. It seems to be a problem related to the keep uv option. 

• Advanced Member

attachicon.gifOBJGROUPS.jpg

following your import setting,

attachicon.gifIMPMPPP.jpg

no crash

attachicon.gifNOCRASH.jpg

Ok, I found out what was causing the crash, I had parented objects in my scene and for some reason 3d-coat did not like that, when I removed that and used the same import settings I had no crash, however, there is still a problem in my opinion, and that is that there are ONLY two uv sets, I need one for each object. To test it is very easy, just put more than two objects in the same file and try importing them to the uv room. You will only be allowed to generate two uv sets, or is there a way to specify which objects get put in which group? Thank you all for your support and help, it is really amazing!

some thought about the way 3d coat imports models for uv/painting.

i have a model in modo/maya that is broken up into 4 pieces. hair/head/body/accessories

when i import it into 3d coat, i get a list of these objects in the objects tab + an extra "default object". for some unknown reason, i cant actually hide these objects separately (using the eye icon beside the object name in the object tab), they are stuck together. the only one that works is the "default object" which hides everything. i cant understand why 3d coat doesn't realize i have 4 separate objects in my scene, and separate them automatically (and why do we need a "default object"?!)

i know that the workaround is applying different materials to each of the objects (before importing into 3d coat) 
but then why the hell do we even have the object list inside 3d coat?!?

also, what if i wanna have the same material applied to my whole character, but want to have the ability to hide parts of the model to be able to paint/uv stuff properly?!!?
for example, hiding a jacket, so i can paint/uv the short underneath.

• Advanced Member

when i import it into 3d coat, i get a list of these objects in the objects tab + an extra "default object". for some unknown reason, i cant actually hide these objects separately (using the eye icon beside the object name in the object tab), they are stuck together. the only one that works is the "default object" which hides everything.

I have posted about this already in this thread. What you need to do is to activate the option 'Save Meshes As Groups' in the Modo preferences (File I/O -> Wavefront I/O. No idea about Maya, sorry). The problem is not 3D Coat, but the program you are exporting from.

Edited by wilson66
  • Like 1

Updated to 4.1.02

- different problems related to primitives density in surface and voxel modes solved. Previously merging primitive in dence volumes took too much memory and was not stable.

- UV & Retopo unwraping tool will not crash on non manifold meshes and will even try to unwrap them correctly.

- importing mesh for Ptex will trigger warning dialog if there are triangles/ngons.

- RMB->Extrude will work in real units as other tools

- Merging new mesh in retopo room will remove alone empty uv set to avoid accamulating void unnecessary uv sets.

I will put the link on main downloads as well, but it requires some testing anyway.

• Like 1

Thank you Andrew for all your hard work 

I am currently having a problem with this build. 3D-Coat DX or GL instant crashes when trying to open sculptures saved recently but not from an earlier revision of the sculpture.  It could be just me or older version of 3DC can open corrupted files. I haven't had the time to test older builds. If anybody can test there older files to see if they have a problem loading because i'm not sure if I should log this to mantis.

• Advanced Member
Thank you Andrew for all your hard work

I am currently having a problem with this build. 3D-Coat DX or GL instant crashes when trying to open sculptures saved recently but not from an earlier revision of the sculpture. It could be just me or older version of 3DC can open corrupted files. I haven't had the time to test older builds. If anybody can test there older files to see if they have a problem loading because i'm not sure if I should log this to mantis.

I'm personally not having this problem with one of my more recent projects that I did in 4.0.14, could you please send the version number you were using or send the file so that I can test it? In the meantime I'll test some of my older files

Ok I figured it out I had to change the shader on all layers to default in 4.1.00 

Something is up with PicMat_Skin2 shader as soon as I touch it 3DC 4.1.02 crashes

Edited by StriderX

Hi roomero! Welcome. :)

I would download the latest build (first post in this thread has the links) and it will be there. Before installing it, I would clear your configs. If you're on Windoze, the configs reside at: %USERNAME%\Documents\3D-CoatV4\

Then install, and try the merge tool. Please let us know if it is still happening. Though I suspect this will fix the issue. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Updated to 4.1.03 (Win+Mac+Lin)

- fixed shaders crash

- Split&Joints got delta distance between joints sides

- more safe cached volumes - I vanished all known ways to destroy it (it was possible for example with Resample)

- Merge tool got "To main axis", auto-scale problem fixed as well

Thanks, Andrew. :good:

• Advanced Member

Возможно уже писали, но в версии 4.1 проблема с переходом через горячие клавищи с инструмента [Манипуляция] на другие инструменты. Возможно только с большим разрешением объекта.

• Advanced Member

Ok I have found a pretty serious bug in the paint room with the stamp modes. As you continue to move your brush, it applies the stroke each time it changes. In the image shown below, I used the stamp mode that scales the brush and that is the result after one drag. As you can see, the alpha is applied multiple times when I only want it to be applied once. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but this is while vertex painting the voxel model in the sculpt room. I will test this problem in the paint room on a uv'd model now to see if that also has the bug.

• Contributor

Ok I have found a pretty serious bug in the paint room with the stamp modes. As you continue to move your brush, it applies the stroke each time it changes. In the image shown below, I used the stamp mode that scales the brush and that is the result after one drag. As you can see, the alpha is applied multiple times when I only want it to be applied once. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but this is while vertex painting the voxel model in the sculpt room. I will test this problem in the paint room on a uv'd model now to see if that also has the bug.

this has been fixed a while ago.

Please try latest build,

It works fine on my side in 4.1.03