3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

I'd like to point out that Andrew told me this round of updates is to focus the Paint room. So get all those paint room bugs, FRs and ERs in asap. :)

Now that layer groups are implemented, the next big change that needs to happen is the ability to select and move multiple layers at the same time. Layer groups are extremely important for organizing large numbers of layers, but the proces itself can be very slow/tedious when it has to be done one layer at a time. Turning on/off multiple layers quickly should also be implemented at some point.

New groups should also automatically be labeled as such ie. "Group 1", "Group 2", etc. instead of as Layers. And I think for groups inside of other groups it would be easier to identify them if the arrow was next to the name instead of always in the same position next to the visibility icon, bolding the names of groups could also help when trying to differintiate them at a glance from layers too.

Past that, the two big changes left I'd really like to see are PS-compatible layer masks, and an option to turn off forced texture culling/deletion. Layer thumbnails would be great too if possible, though I don't consider them nearly as important as the two formentioned changes.

Anyhow, thanks Andrew for listening to us on the need for layer groups, and looking forward to seeing what else is in store for us Paint Room users :)

Edited by PolyHertz

• Reputable Contributor

Now that layer groups are implemented, the next big change that needs to happen is the ability to select and move multiple layers at the same time. Layer groups are extremely important for organizing large numbers of layers, but the proces itself can be very slow/tedious when it has to be done one layer at a time. Turning on/off multiple layers quickly should also be implemented at some point.

tumblr_n5q64iuEFW1smmsbuo1_400.gif

• Advanced Member

+1. And easy way to fill freeze single voxel layer eg. object picker icon. Right now it requires bit many steps, more or less like this: 

-go to fill tool

- check freeze

- uncheck color

- go to option - freeze by object

- then find it on list by name, but it is not easy with many layers, especially if not named correctly.

Also show hide freeze (ctrl+f) wont work in vertex paint. Thx. for your work Andrew

Edited by JoseConseco

• Reputable Contributor

Updated to 4.1.07B

- realtime preview for Textures->Adjust->... Multithreading optimisation applied to adjust operations.

- Improved interaction with photoshop in case of mirrored UV sets - you may paint on both of mirrored sides and they will be merged correctly.

- copy clay updated - but still in very beta stage. Pay attendion to bend->Laplacian

- Hints over primitives restored

- Res+ in surface mode subdivides whole mesh

We hired new programmer, some time was spent to coordinate work and introduce some version control system. At all we have 5 programmers in team now. I & Raul are a bit haotic peoples, new programmer should compensate it a bit - he is man of order.

Thanks Andrew. :good: While you are there in the Paint Room, would you please, please add some kind of color picker bar to the "Hue & Saturation" adjustment Dialog box? The user is flying blind when adjusting the Hue value. Been waiting for this for a long time.

post-1118-0-94061600-1400435065_thumb.jp

• Reputable Contributor

Here is how the dialog looks in Photoshop. You can see the difference, and again, in 3D Coat....you have no visual aid to show what Hue/Color value you are selecting. You have to "Wing It"....blindfolded. Can you please fix this?

post-1118-0-67286900-1400435342_thumb.gi

Thanks Andrew. :good: While you are there in the Paint Room, would you please, please add some kind of color picker bar to the "Hue & Saturation" adjustment Dialog box? The user is flying blind when adjusting the Hue value. Been waiting for this for a long time.

For sure adjusts will be improved to be more photoshoppy, it is planned as well in nearest future.

• Reputable Contributor

Updated to 4.1.07B

- realtime preview for Textures->Adjust->... Multithreading optimisation applied to adjust operations.

- Improved interaction with photoshop in case of mirrored UV sets - you may paint on both of mirrored sides and they will be merged correctly.

- copy clay updated - but still in very beta stage. Pay attendion to bend->Laplacian

- Hints over primitives restored

- Res+ in surface mode subdivides whole mesh

We hired new programmer, some time was spent to coordinate work and introduce some version control system. At all we have 5 programmers in team now. I & Raul are a bit haotic peoples, new programmer should compensate it a bit - he is man of order.

Yahoo! the new programmer a " Man of Order"  :clapping: 

New programmer is great news! More stability, more features, more powerful 3D-Coat. Maybe he will have new ideas about how to make tools more efficient and how to kill long-standing bugs and can implement it too!

• Reputable Contributor

This has been a long standing issue, The progress bars do not work in the Linux versions of 3DCoat...

My question is it  IMPOSSBILE  for the Linux version to have working progress bars. I will accept that fact if it is indeed impossible to code it in.

Please answer one way or the other as it would be appreciated.

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

Cross post from this thread, because I think it's an issue that probably should get some attention:

The smooth feature in the paint room is dependant on pixel count as opposed to brush size, so the higher the resolution of your texture the worse it'll work. It's basically worthless on a 4k texture.

To give an example, here's smooth being used with the same brush size and pressure (using a mouse) on a texture across several resolutions. Notice that by 4096 it essentially does nothing:

dsNWMrk.gif

• Like 1

Your smoothing based on resolution, so yes, it should be tighter on a higher resolution.  Seems like it's working as it's supposed to.

From a technical perspective, it's not failing, but it's certainly not working the way anyone would actually want it to. I can't imagine any scenario where its current behavior would be desirable.

Edit: Added a Mantis report: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1502

Edited by PolyHertz
  • Like 1

There's another bug related to smoothing using various ePanel modes. Smoothing doesn't work (by holding SHIFT) and using any of the lasso selection modes.

• Reputable Contributor

Here's a little bug I cam across. I'm using VoxLayer with Steady Stroke turned on.  If I switch to another tool, then back. Steady Stroke is now off and I have to turn it on again.

Maybe it's remembering your preferences for that other tool? That or someone asked Andrew to have it automatically switch it off when choosing another tool? It's getting pretty hard to keep up with all the small requests like this, cause everyone once in a while you come across something not working the way it used to, and it's all because one or more persons asked for it to change.

Here's a little bug I cam across. I'm using VoxLayer with Steady Stroke turned on.  If I switch to another tool, then back. Steady Stroke is now off and I have to turn it on again.

There was an old request, may be related ?

0001445: Steady Stroke AUTO OFF when press Shift key for quick smooth

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1445

• Advanced Member

The progress bars do not work in the Linux versions of 3DCoat...

My question is it  IMPOSSBILE  for the Linux version to have working progress bars. I will accept that fact if it is indeed impossible to code it in.

Please answer one way or the other as it would be appreciated.

Mac too -  progress = spinning beach ball of death.

Mac  - standard convention requires, cmd key should emulate right click.

• Like 1

• Contributor

I noticed also that when working on multiple objects (and multiple UVs) in retopo, ctrl-z always changes the current UV to the default UV. Once burned, twice warned: if you are not alert to this undesirable change, you will find your work is on the wrong UV.