3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member
Updated to 4.1.08B:

- lathe vertical

- chiesel tweaked - solved problem with symmetry on CTRL action, alpha rotated along stroke and modulated so that shape is maximally accurate, normal orthogonal to trajectory, it allows to avoid too quick and irregular diving into surface.

This is last update before my vacation. I will fly tomorrow morning.

Thanks Andrew!! Hope you have an awesome trip! You deserve it after all the hard work you've been putting into this program :)

• Contributor

Have a nice vacation!!! :) First iteration of noise tool is very cool and promising.

little issue(not urgent):

very old versions of my presets seems to have found their way into build 4.1.08B,I really dont undertsand why as they were supposed to have been deleted....those were not in previous builds.Some are potientially unsafe(use general brush) or just lesser or redundant versions of more recents presets.

Please clear and restore presets that were to go along 4.1 update.

• Contributor

@artman: where are the latest presets? Are you keeping them updated in that other preset thread of yours? Btw thanks again for making them!

the ones on the thread are ok,the one in 4.1 update too. (they are both valid and nearly the same I think)

Its just that build 4.1.08B seems to have resurected  old presets instead of usual 4.1 presets.

Very crappy bulge preset i made is there along with very old greeble brush based on GeneralBrush that required a strip to work (I made much better version latter, that do not require a strip)

• Advanced Member

Seems like we keep deviating away from the Paint Room focus.  I get fixing crashes that result from some of this work, and the extra tools in other rooms are nice, but the Paint Room still needs work.  I thought that was the focus of this line of updates.

Seems like we keep deviating away from the Paint Room focus.  I get fixing crashes that result from some of this work, and the extra tools in other rooms are nice, but the Paint Room still needs work.  I thought that was the focus of this line of updates.

Paint room focus still kept. Next important goals - layers maksks and axial symmetry.

Features like Noie was caused at first by my hobby :) I keep ants at home and want to make realistic printed ant house sections. Second reason is possibility to delegate Noise to other programmer - now we have 5 programmers and I need to give separated tasks for them. Noise is good separated task. Someone will tinker it.

Waiting for plane in airport now :) I will fly in 50 min.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Most of these additions are basically fixing what was wrong with the Primitives tool. Things like missing tool tips...the lathe profile being sideways, etc. Whether some here like it or not, a Noise Generator has been on the "To Do" list for a long, long, long, long time. Seems to me, Andrew is trying to please everyone by balancing things out between the rooms. Paint Layer Groups was a big task and it got done. There probably is not going to be a room by room focus. Too many people wanting things for all areas of the app, for that to occur.

But the Primitives tool clean up...I asked him to do that. Things like the new Primitives icons not having a name or tool-tip, etc. is just necessary cleanup that shouldn't be put off because some want focus applied elsewhere. I'm sure he'll return back to the Paint Room, to some extent, once he comes back from vacation.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Paint room focus still kept. Next important goals - layers maksks and axial symmetry.

Features like Noie was caused at first by my hobby :) I keep ants at home and want to make realistic printed ant house sections. Second reason is possibility to delegate Noise to other programmer - now we have 5 programmers and I need to give separated tasks for them. Noise is good separated task. Someone will tinker it.

Waiting for plane in airport now :) I will fly in 50 min.

Have a safe flight and a great time on vacation, Andrew. Much deserved. :good:

Yay @ layer masks :)

With that 2/3 of the changes I most wanted in the paint room will have been solved. If we can just get that nasty texture culling problem solved too, during this round of updates, world peace may yet be achieved :p

• Advanced Member

I know I posted about the messed up layer blend mode selection a while back, but I finally got around to making a formal request on Mantis as it is extremely frustrating. Please test it out for me in case it's just my computer, but I'm pretty sure it's not. Here's the link to the post in case you're looking for it, http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1508

• Contributor
the ones on the thread are ok,the one in 4.1 update too. (they are both valid and nearly the same I think)

Its just that build 4.1.08B seems to have resurected old presets instead of usual 4.1 presets.

Very crappy bulge preset i made is there along with very old greeble brush based on GeneralBrush that required a strip to work (I made much better version latter, that do not require a strip)

Thank you for clarifying Artman!

• Contributor

Guys, have issues with proxy mode been finally sorted out? I need to put some volumes in a proxy mode in a heavy scene, but because of the fact that I had some unpleasant surprises with it in the past, I thought I better ask first. Is it safe?

• Advanced Member
Guys, have issues with proxy mode been finally sorted out? I need to put some volumes in a proxy mode in a heavy scene, but because of the fact that I had some unpleasant surprises with it in the past, I thought I better ask first. Is it safe?

I personally have not experienced any problems with it since Andrew touched it up, but seeing as its been so finicky, I would wait for more responses than just mine :)

• Contributor

I used proxy mode a lot since V4_1-04-64 or so and noticed no change when brought back..

• Contributor

I still don't use them, last time I used surface<>voxel translation when in voxel mode I got mangled geometry. So I assume the same could happen under certain conditions with proxy. It could potentially be perfectly safe when used only in surface mode, but I didn't check that.

• Reputable Contributor

I sent Andrew a file around Easter, where I was having issue with the Proxy. Andrew supposedly fixed it where supposedly all means of file corruption was eliminated. But, like Beat, I'm too skiddish to try again, unless I really have to.

• Contributor

Save iteratively most of all. You don't always notice right away. It's good to have earlier version to avoid losing everything... even when you think everything is fine. You could have disconnected parts and only notice by brushing over it...

• Reputable Contributor

I've noticed that Smooth Freeze in the voxel room is super slow now. Also, the result of smoothing freeze selection is dreadful. A bug?

Could be a void or something in the object. Test another scene, using the Human Primitive or Mannequin, and see if it's still acting that way. Maybe, for good measure, close the app > reopen it and test it.

• Contributor

This is possible because on a mannequin (1.5M) it takes just several seconds to smooth the freeze selection and on my 0.5M mesh it takes 25 seconds for one step of freeze smoothing(!). I ran a clean up, welded vertices, removed intersections - to no avail. What else can I do? I'm not to eager to convert it to voxels (to close hulls) and back to surface. We all know it may cause problems later.

The quality of freeze selection smoothing on the mannequin is  poor to say at least. See the image.

post-12523-0-20272000-1401453077_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

AJ,

What 3DC version are you using and which OS?  If you would like me to test your file, here, I'll be glad to.  It does look like the smooth quality on a freeze is striated.  However, the speed on mine (3DC 4.1.08B on a Windows 7 64-bit Pro machine) works in real-time.  I used the standard 1.5M mannequin to test.  You can see my specs in the signature line.

• Advanced Member

Hey, did something change in how we pan the scene?  I haven't done anything profound in 3DC in weeks, so I'm a bit rusty, but I noticed in the latest version I have to hold both left and right mouse buttons down to pan, rather than middle mouse.  Even the tool tip for the pan button shows that it's supposed to be Alt+Middle Mouse Button, but it no longer works.

One of the main things I love about 3DC is that it is highly configurable.  Can we please have that configurable?  The options don't appear to allow for a user-defined control for this.

Edited by alvordr

Hey, did something change in how we pan the scene?  I haven't done anything profound in 3DC in weeks, so I'm a bit rusty, but I noticed in the latest version I have to hold both left and right mouse buttons down to pan, rather than middle mouse.  Even the tool tip for the pan button shows that it's supposed to be Alt+Middle Mouse Button, but it no longer works.

Both methods work for me, though I usually prefer L/R buttons anyway since my fingers are already on those buttons.  Try some of the other presets under Camera > Custom Navigation.