3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

I only tried retopo in local space and its awesome!! it really makes it on par with Topogun as far as retopo work goes now. Really cool :)

I dont  need to store volumes as instances anymore its a big relief.

I did not test sculpting much but I can already point an issue : Symmetry Dot is missing.

I will try to deep test as I finish the character Im working on,I think Resym feature will be very important to test thoroughly.

edit:

could you add to "To main axis","To Center mass"and "To bound Center" inside Pose tool too.Its very important when scaling in symmetry otherwise self intersection occur if gizmo is not perfectly centered and its dangerous.

• Contributor

One annoying issue when sculpting is there is no way to conveniently toggle symmetry on/off using a hotkey as before.

If I stack hotkey using "no symmetry"/Symmetry ,the dialog window pop ups each time . :(

Its very important when sculpting (painting too,I guess...) to be able to quickly toggle symmetry on/off.

What I suggest is "No symmetry" option could be replaced by "symmetry on/off" ,a little like invert tool action checkbox.

It would of course remember/keep last chosen symmetry mode for selected volume.

• Like 2

• Contributor

post-1430-0-85032000-1405277526_thumb.pn

As shown, the Symmetry plane is not centered on the actual line of symmetry which is in the middle of the object. I used the "Pick" command to get it centered but the plane did not conform (I miss the tab key :( ).

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
attachicon.gifSymmetry.png

As shown, the Symmetry plane is not centered on the actual line of symmetry which is in the middle of the object. I used the "Pick" command to get it centered but the plane did not conform (I miss the tab key :( ).

I have also experienced problems with the symmetry plane not being positioned correctly. Also, could someone please help me figure out how to correctly set up radial symmetry for an oblong shape such as the base human torso? I know in z-brush it manages to evenly wrap around the torso and applies the stroke evenly at all points irrespective of height differences, is that just simply not set up yet or am I missing a setting. Oh, and for further clarification, I'm referring to the voxels room. I appreciate the help!!

EDIT: HUGE thank you to Andrew for implementing this and the multiple symmetry modes!

Edited by GeneralAce55

• Advanced Member

Very Cool!

Although I did get a mesh explosion after using the mud2 tool, then resampling lower, then doing some more sculpting on the mesh with mud2. I tried smooth all which caused a bigger explosion.  I undid that and was able to switch to voxels and back to surface to fix the problem.  Further sculpting didn't yield any more explosions though.

Also when I resampled in Surface mode, if press Enter to confirm rather than pressing on the OK button, I would get a second window asking for my desired polycount to switch to voxels.

Overall, it's an awsome and powerful addition.  It tried it in Surface mode, Voxel mode, retopo and in the Paint room.  Nothing in depth, but it seemed work well throughout.

• Contributor

Very Cool!

Although I did get a mesh explosion after using the mud2 tool, then resampling lower, then doing some more sculpting on the mesh with mud2. I tried smooth all which caused a bigger explosion.  I undid that and was able to switch to voxels and back to surface to fix the problem.  Further sculpting didn't yield any more explosions though.

Also when I resampled in Surface mode, if press Enter to confirm rather than pressing on the OK button, I would get a second window asking for my desired polycount to switch to voxels.

Overall, it's an awsome and powerful addition.  It tried it in Surface mode, Voxel mode, retopo and in the Paint room.  Nothing in depth, but it seemed work well throughout.

I also experienced many unsafe situations with Resample function in one big project Im currently working on,it seems using the V icon to convert to voxels using a specific polycount is much less dangerous for unknown reasons...anyway,this has nothing to do with axial symmetry :) .

• Advanced Member

True,

I should have clarified that I was using axial symmetry while doing it.  Good to hear that the radial symmetry likely wasn't the cause.

• Contributor

here is an issue.

here I used General case axis (should be called Custom Axis BTW..."general case" is not really good name)

Mirroring effect of brush is correct but display of Symmetry Dot is not corresponding to brush effect,also sometimes Symmetry Dot is not there at all.

post-1195-0-29312200-1405349813_thumb.jp

suggestion:I really like General Case mode but to make it even better it would be great if we had access to a Transform Gizmo to manipulate the plane once the 2 points have been picked,it would provide much more control especially with setting the plane orientation.

Edit:I also used "Symm Copy" feature exhaustively while crossing sym line with various brushes and e-panel modes and it seems

pretty solid thus far except 3Dspline mode which sometimes gives very erratic selections..,,also not related to symmetry topic but 3Dspline display(the tube like 3d spline)  is sometimes too big to make proper selection you really need to replace that ugly spline/cylinder with something more subtle/elegant or provide custom thickness of 3dspline display.

post-1195-0-03765000-1405350983_thumb.jp

• Contributor

here is a weird one:

there I used Symm Copy command ( sym in X is on,Global)

and the normal of the volume got flipped.

Very strange... never happened before.

post-1195-0-44458000-1405456930_thumb.jp

Edit:

Here I attached single volume prior to using Sym Copy

chest.zip

• Advanced Member

I've tried many times to update to the latest beta version (or the official release) but the download *always* fails. It gets to some number of Mb (usually < 10 but just now got a record of 129Mb) then the speed drops off to zero and the download stops.  This is with Chrome, but I've tried IE11 and that was worse. I'm in the UK, have no trouble downloading anything else.

Is there something I can do to fix this? is there a mirror site I can download from?  I'm stuck on v4.1.00 x64 !

• Advanced Member

David,

I have no problems in the US.  Sounds like it might be a throttling issue on one end or the other.  Consider using something like GetRight!  That program I used for years to get partial/resumable downloads reliably.  You can basically click on something you want to download and GetRight! will look for all mirrored servers that have that download and break it up into smaller synchronous chunks.  If the download stops, you can simply use GetRight! to resume the download where you left off.  If this is a throttling issue, that can solve the problem by keeping what you have until it's all done.  If this isn't a throttling issue, then it's something else and difficult to nail down without quite a bit of detailed analysis.  What OS are you using?

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the suggestions alvordr. I'm using Windows 7 x64.  However I really don't want to install a program like GetRight! just to make this download work.  I'm pretty sure there isn't a throttling issue on my end anyway, I can download GBs from Steam without pause. This is a hosting issue, I'm sure of it.

Edited by David Walters

Hi David. I had the same issue that you're having, and using Firefox with it's resume function (as alvordr mentioned) worked for me. I had to resume 4 times to get the file, but I eventually did get it. The trick is to not cancel when you see the download stop, instead wait for it to fail. Then hit resume. It's a huge pain in the ass, but it's the only way I could get the file.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hi David. I had the same issue that you're having, and using Firefox with it's resume function (as alvordr mentioned) worked for me. I had to resume 4 times to get the file, but I eventually did get it. The trick is to not cancel when you see the download stop, instead wait for it to fail. Then hit resume. It's a huge pain in the ass, but it's the only way I could get the file.

Hope that helps.

Hey Javis, I tried Firefox and it worked first time for the whole download without problems. Getting my usual 3 Mb/s for the whole download as well. How strange!  Thanks for the advice on what to do if it hadn't work, I'll bear that in mind if it crops up again  :)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hey Everyone, I was just wondering if anyone else was having major problems with the new radial symmetry tool? Has anyone found a good way to use it on objects that aren't perfectly spherical or cylindrical? I'd really appreciate some help as I can NOT seem to figure it out? Thanks!

Hey Everyone, I was just wondering if anyone else was having major problems with the new radial symmetry tool? Has anyone found a good way to use it on objects that aren't perfectly spherical or cylindrical? I'd really appreciate some help as I can NOT seem to figure it out? Thanks!

interesting I was noticing the same thing a bit  best way to get it fixed is to submit a mantis report than email Andrew (the most awesome programmer I know)

ok try pressing the resymytrize button in the voxel tree window  that looks like 2 arrows stuck together

• Like 1

Is anyone else having issues with exporting normal maps from 3DC with the latest build? It was working fine for me the last few days, then all of a sudden last night it crapped out on me and is exporting the normal map with what appears to be flipped polygons, for some of the islands.

• Contributor

Andrew, there's a problem with 3D splines from e-panel. Their thickness seems to be fixed in world space which causes a lot of trouble when working with smaller volumes (see the image).

Can you make their thickness relative to viewport size?

post-12523-0-22456200-1405717509_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

I noticed in this last beta that hide symmetry plane is now gone...is that coming back?  Meanwhile, if I use it on a retopo mesh if the plan is in front of what I want to see, the retopo mesh is no longer shown, but if I rotate the view where the symmetry plane is no longer between me and the retopo mesh I'm looking at, I can see the retopo mesh.

EDIT:  I see that I can hide the symmetry plane in the menu, but it would be great to have that added to the symmetry hotkey popup dialogue, as well.

Edited by alvordr
  • Like 2

• Contributor

...)  it would be great to have that added to the symmetry hotkey popup dialogue, as well.

My thoughts exactly. Plus, the symmetry window is no longer a pop-up, but a dialog window. This is very inconvenient. At least for me.

• Advanced Member

Another thing I'm noticing is that right click no longer zooms when holding alt.  It simply let's me adjust strength, which only used to work when you right click without Alt and on the sculpture itself.  Now I have to use the zoom icon near the top of the UI.

EDIT:  Never mind...I guess it was Cntl, not Alt.  That's what I get for spending more time in ZBrush lately.

Edited by alvordr