3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

Nice idea.  If we were able to click on a selected edge and hold B while dragging, it could bevel the edge.  We do the same thing, but then hit B right afterwards to tell it we want more than one beveled line and it could prompt for how many, so that we can get a more rounded bevel.  We could hold Cntl + click and drag to place a new edge loop.

I would also make those hotkeys customizable, so that other users who already have assignments like these for other things could keep their existing settings as they are.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

There supposed to be new hard split option for dynamic tesselation in 3dc: http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/simplicity-is-the-key/#comment-12435. But I cannot see option for 'hard split' in recent 3dc builds. Am I missing something? I wish this worked on general brush too. This is one of the most important feature IMO, giving nice, even surface density.  No more spikes of uneven triangle distribution that cannot be smoothed easily. 

Edited by JoseConseco

Updated to 4.1.14

- Quick access to layer's blending options - hover layer, press small triangle that appears on the right.

- "Rotate along stroke" tuned to avoid trajectory twisting, many surface brushes got trjectory improvement that should lead to more predictble sculpting.

- Retopo with symmetry improved . Points will be automatically snapped and weld to the symmetry plane. It is especially important in non-virtual mirror mode.

- slide edges correctly works with non-virtual symmetry

- Splinestroke E mode works correctly with multiple strokes - no more random dots.

- Set of problems related to fill/ fill with freeze fixed in vertex paint mode.

• Like 1

I really like the retopology tools in 3DCoat, it would be nice if you could use the Split Rings tool in the following fashion though:

split_tool.png

Right now, the tool can't split the edges (triangles created with the Cap tool) in the fashion illustrated above. You would need to do this manually using the Add/Split tool.

Select, vertex mode. Select sharp vertex.

Go to Edge mode.

Click Split edges.

• Like 1

Updated to 4.1.14

- Quick access to layer's blending options - hover layer, press small triangle that appears on the right.

Personally I think doing it the way BeatKitano suggested makes more sense because it's more future-proof (could be used when more then one layer is selected): http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15817&page=4#entry112217

• Advanced Member

Updated to 4.1.14

- Retopo with symmetry improved . Points will be automatically snapped and weld to the symmetry plane. It is especially important in non-virtual mirror mode.

It might be user error, but for me this still does not work correctly.

3DCoat always produces additional, unwanted vertices/ faces on the symmetry plane. What I'm talking about is this:

sym_plane.png

• Advanced Member

are you working with virtual mirror mode on ?

Yes, I am. I moved the vertices as close to the symmetry plane as possible (using the brush tool). Then I clicked the 'Symmetry' button.

I tested again and noticed that some vertices were crossing the symmetry line (which shouldn't be possible probably when virtual symmetry is active?). When clicking the 'Symmetry' button the additional polygons near the symmetry plane are created.

Thanks for the hint guys.

What do I do when virtual symmetry is inactive (standard symmetry active) and I want the vertices on the symmetry plane to be welded? I can pull them across the symmetry plane, but they do not weld automatically.

Edited by wilson66

• Advanced Member

Another matter: blending mode for paint layers contained in a layer folder can only be changed for the entire folder, not for the layers in that folder individually. Is this intentionally?

In my opinion, a 'pass through' option (as in Photoshop) for the layer folder is missing.

Andrew is probably working on this already (Photoshop style masking), but it'd be nice if a layer mask could be painted in black (pixels of masked layer hidden) and white (pixels shown) instead of constantly having to switch between paintbrush and eraser (and having to define a separate brush for them).

Edited by wilson66

• Contributor

Andrew I was wondering how hard would it be for RemoveStretching to remove self intersection as well?

Currently using clay brushes its really easy to create self-intersections that stay hidden inside mesh and can cause problems later on

when using other tools or doing other operations.

thx

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Actually gloss map is specular in 3D-Coat.

Specular is color of specularity in 3D-Coat.

I agree - it is not good terminology cluttering, I will change it in future when there will be possibility to paint all channels simultaneously (color+depth+gloss+col spec+emiss)

Sorry just saw this linked on another forum.

Gotta say "huh?"

• Contributor

Just noticed StoreSymmetry in preset elements and its really cool and useful!!! :) Big Thanx for adding this!

TIP tu users :for best use be sure all your brush presets DO NOT store symmetry, then make yourself a few presets of your favorites symmetry mode/planes storing ONLY symmetry.

Then you can set a few hotkeys to them and voila....

edit:

Andrew just a little bug tough; updating preset do not work with this element,it only store info when doing a new fresh preset

Edit: Ok,it seems it does not work correctly when switching presets that do not originate from the same tool,

even if "Store Tool" is not checked.What I mean is when "store symmetry" is checked and "store tool" is not checked 3Dcoat should ONLY store symmetry......please fix because it will be very useful feature when fixed. :)

Edit: OK. after further testing.. there is a real problem. The issue is stored symmetry modes seems to migrate to some presets for which  there was even no symmetry stored....its as if 3DCoat is forcing you to store symmetry for all your presets in order to work correctly .....but we cannot do that Andrew because symmetry usage is generally based on user's project/objects not on brushes usage.

• Contributor

Andrew I was wondering how hard would it be for RemoveStretching to remove self intersection as well?

Currently using clay brushes its really easy to create self-intersections that stay hidden inside mesh and can cause problems later on

when using other tools or doing other operations.

thx

And holes... holes ALL THE TIME. See my recent streams i'm doing close holes command every 3 to 10 minutes (and sometimes I spam the command because it doesn't close half the holes it should and need 2-3 consecutive call).

Btw bad news coming through... I hope you and your family are safe Andrew. 

Edit: OK. after further testing.. there is a real problem. The issue is stored symmetry modes seems to migrate to some presets for which  there was even no symmetry stored....its as if 3DCoat is forcing you to store symmetry for all your presets in order to work correctly .....but we cannot do that Andrew because symmetry usage is generally based on user's project/objects not on brushes usage.

It's because symmetry is stored by volume, so if you call a preset with sym stored 3dc understand the volume is symmetrical there fore all subsequent tools (with the exception of the symmetry variables stored) will invariably use the last setting for said volume.

In short: as soon as you use a sym stored preset you set the symmetrical setup for the volume and it won't go away until you call another preset with sym off or deactivate it yourself.

• Contributor

Another big issue; it seems RemoveStretcinh interaction with symm copy command generate very easily a lot of holes and weird topologies.

I dont know in which build it started to happens but I use Symm Copy A LOT and I usually nevr get holes....probably something that happened in recent builds.

To reproduce:

1)load defaultl male bust

2)use symm copy command

3)use brush with remove strecting along symmetry line

post-1195-0-42169900-1409577812_thumb.jp

• Contributor

Another big issue; it seems RemoveStretcinh interaction with symm copy command genrate very easily a lot of holes and weird topologies.

I dont know in which build it started to happens but I use Symm Copy A LOT and I usually nevr get holes....probably something that happened in recent builds.

To reproduce:

1)load defaultl male bust

2)use symm copy command

3)use brush with remove strecting along symmetry line

attachicon.gifsym.jpg

Interesting, I tend to use it a lot too since symmetry isn't always kept, weirdly. may be worth a look indeed. I'll try not using it on some part of my current sculpt to see if it helps.

[Edit] Nope just created one this instant without resym.

• Contributor

[Edit] Nope just created one this instant without resym.

I really never get holes and I've been sculpting like crazy those last weeks....I mean never  ( beside the example mentioned above)

I have issues with self-intersections but never holes really... what brushes do you use? I dont use CreaseClay.FlattenClay ....maybe it is the difference ...also I never use any of the shift smoothings ( I dont smooth anything actually...) It would be interesting to pinpoint what is the exact culprit.

• Contributor

I use crease clay and flattenclay. Flattenclay is probably the culprit as I just changed my crease brush to something less pinchy (liveclay brush only) and still get holes on newly created geometry. I also use powerful smooth a bit.

If that can help: I always add volumes with voxel element. I create a voxel layer and use sphere brush to paint the overal shape I'm gonna transfer to surface mode. Maybe the problem is the conversion, but the holes don't appear immediately so I still think it's flattenclay.

I must add I didn't have holes in a very loong time but if i'm not mistaken it started to happen shortly after reintegrating flattenclay in my toolset. I'll try to work without it to see.

• Contributor
It's because symmetry is stored by volume, so if you call a preset with sym stored 3dc understand the volume is symmetrical there fore all subsequent tools (with the exception of the symmetry variables stored) will invariably use the last setting for said volume.

In short: as soon as you use a sym stored preset you set the symmetrical setup for the volume and it won't go away until you call another preset with sym off or deactivate it yourself.

the more I use it it becomes really weirder...sometimes it seems to remember sym not only for the volume but it seems tool/brush dependant too...even when loading presets for which absolutly no symmetry was stored.What I mean is sometimes it does not use the last symmetry used but another one I used much earlier...Its like its storing some info per "tools type" even if I store nothing...

• Contributor

the more I use it it becomes really weirder...sometimes it seems to remember sym not only for the volume but it seems tool/brush dependant too...even when loading presets for which absolutly no symmetry was stored.What I mean is sometimes it does not use the last symmetry used but another one I used much earlier...Its like its storing some info per "tools type" even if I store nothing...

preferences> Remember each - anything

• Contributor

preferences> Remember each - anything

no,no...its already unchecked. Its the first thing I uncheck when installing 3DCoat. :)

Edit: now thats even weirder now, some Sym setthings get stored in my presets (without me storing or updating anything in them )

even after  I load another file...... I just loaded the default sphere after the Maleheadbust and I still got multiple symmetry modes across my presets...

• Contributor

Ok so, Andrew if you read this: flattenclay is creating holes. Just tried without it using rapid2 as replacement: no more holes.

And I'll use this post to say that I've been experiencing a pretty solid/stable software for my usage: something I wouldn't have dreamt a few months back. That includes the sculpting experience which pretty much on par with zbrush, just a few kinks to be ironed out and it's perfect on this side.

• Like 1

• Contributor

no,no...its already unchecked. Its the first thing I uncheck when installing 3DCoat. :)

Edit: now thats even weirder now, some Sym setthings get stored in my presets (without me storing or updating anything in them )

even after  I load another file...... I just loaded the default sphere after the Maleheadbust and I still got multiple symmetry modes across my presets...

I confirm this bug. It doesn't work until you start cycling between preset and non preset tools. And you can't revert back once you get it.. which is a MASSIVE issue as it makes the new symmetry system completely useless...

Andrew: I think there's a bug in writing to xml: looks like it can't overwrite in certain condition.

• Advanced Member

Sorry that I haven't been very vocal, lately.  I've not been able to test 3DC as much.  I've been delving so much into ZBrush for a project I'm doing.  However, I hope to get more involved, soon.  Looks like a lot has happened.  I never get holes, but I also still spend most of my time in Voxel Mode, not Surface.  I only go to Surface Mode when I have to for certain brushes.  I still wish I had a freeze for Voxel Mode, but I do understand why that isn't happening.  Anyway, thanks for the updates, Andrew.

• Advanced Member

I still wish I had a freeze for Voxel Mode, but I do understand why that isn't happening.  Anyway, thanks for the updates, Andrew.

I was thinking that volumetric layer masking/freeze for voxel mode would be awesome.  Is that relatively simple to do Andrew?

Edited by gbball

Andrew is probably working on this already (Photoshop style masking), but it'd be nice if a layer mask could be painted in black (pixels of masked layer hidden) and white (pixels shown) instead of constantly having to switch between paintbrush and eraser (and having to define a separate brush for them).

Andrew said we'd get PS style masking in 3DC a while ago, but there hasn't been any word since the Symmetry/Mask poll: http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16297

Supposedly he's working on PBR atm instead.