3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

no,the same jungle happen when Im in 4.1.13...I think issue don't happen until you really start making or updating a few presets with symmstore while changing symmetry modes...then I think presets for which you did not update/store anything start to get messed up.Its like 3Dcoat is then requiring you to create new presets with symm stored for ALL your presets until it knows symmetry modes for each....I think the source of the bug is that update presets feature from preset menu is broken and does not update symm mode.(for example ;Im not able to update local to global....but if I make a new preset instead of updating it will store the mode correctly...)

Thanks, I have symmstore turned off, so I guess I should be ok, right?

• Contributor

I don't know but if issue arise you will know for sure...Beat was skeptical in the beginning then he wished

I never asked him to try to confirm it hahah... :D

The thing is I haven't found  exactly how/when it started to get messed up...was it because I updated a preset? or made a new one?

or used a specific sym mode (ex:general axis) ? or changed preset selection without storingsymm or because I tried to store sym?

Is it because its a multi-volume tree and it conflicts with the sym mode store in the tool...ect...

If your are ok just keep doing what you are doing :)  ...I for one had to roll back to 4.1.08A build.

• Contributor

Not even sure.

I can't use 3dc anymore, even trying to recreate preset from scratch with symmstore off seems to still change the setting of certain preset (can't stop the liveclay brush to record it for instance).

I think Andrew missed the param on some tools: some are recording other aren't (and other are simply ignoring changes and only retain the param when they're created) and since the general sym settings remember the last symmetry setting on the current volume then the next preset you use that hasn't any sym param recorded will use the last sym setting...

Not easy to understand but once that starts happening you're in trouble...

• Contributor

I'm still on v13. Last time I had the pleasure of sculpting something in 3DC was about two weeks ago, and I did create some new LC presets during that last session. Hence the question.

Luckily, I didn't notice any odd behaviour. But I didn't even know that something like symmstore was introduced.

In any case, I always keep a backup copy of settings of all programs I use, just to be on the safe side.

Not easy to understand but once that starts happening you're in trouble...

This sends shivers down my spine, as I'm a guy who sometimes recklessly uses the most recent beta builds for production. I simply can't help it*. :) There's too much great stuff inside each consecutive beta iteration. That said, I can imagine how it might feel when something suddenly goes terribly wrong. :o

* Okay, I admit, I admit... that I wait a bit for your opinions, about the newest version, to appear in this thread before I decide that it's safe to use...

I hope Andrew will be able to pinpoint and squash this bug soon.

BTW, I know it may sound obvious, but maybe those broken presets can be provisionally fixed by editing files in which they reside? Most of 3D-Coat settings are kept in xml files.

Or have you been there already?

• Contributor

I'm still on v13. Last time I had the pleasure of sculpting something in 3DC was about two weeks ago, and I did create some new LC presets during that last session. Hence the question.

Luckily, I didn't notice any odd behaviour. But I didn't even know that something like symmstore was introduced.

In any case, I always keep a backup copy of settings of all programs I use, just to be on the safe side.

This sends shivers down my spine, as I'm a guy who sometimes recklessly uses the most recent beta builds for production. I simply can't help it*. :) There's too much great stuff inside each consecutive beta iteration. That said, I can imagine how it might feel when something suddenly goes terribly wrong. :o

* Okay, I admit, I admit... that I wait a bit for your opinions, about the newest version, to appear in this thread before I decide that it's safe to use...

I hope Andrew will be able to pinpoint and squash this bug soon.

BTW, I know it may sound obvious, but maybe those broken presets can be provisionally fixed by editing files in which they reside? Most of 3D-Coat settings are kept in xml files.

Or have you been there already?

I tried, and to NOT reassure you: your safe file backup won't help. It simply doesn't work even after clearing single instance *.txt files and preset.xml files in userfolders. Something get written elsewhere (or maybe even in the scene file ?) and you can't bypass it.

Until this bug is fixed I'm out of 3dcoat (even going back doesn't help) which is a pitty since I restarted doing pure sculpt recently (fully posed/asymmetrical models old school style) and would have loved to be able to do this in a freeform software (dynamesh in zbrush is not as good).

• Contributor

I tried, and to NOT reassure you: your safe file backup won't help. It simply doesn't work even after clearing single instance *.txt files and preset.xml files in userfolders. Something get written elsewhere (or maybe even in the scene file ?) and you can't bypass it.

Until this bug is fixed I'm out of 3dcoat (even going back doesn't help) which is a pitty since I restarted doing pure sculpt recently (fully posed/asymmetrical models old school style) and would have loved to be able to do this in a freeform software (dynamesh in zbrush is not as good).

"Damn!" is all that comes to my mind. :blink:

It must be stored in the 3b scene then. Otherwise, UAC would prompt me if it needed a write access to a file somewhere beyond my %USERPROFILE% directories or my Projects folder.

I guess I better revert to an older beta version, just in case.

I just noticed the new Normal Map Software Preset option for baking and it has no LightWave option. Does anyone have an option that I can load or know if one of the included ones works?

BTW while I'm typing I guess I'll mention that I'm starting a tutorial on 3DC for Digital Tutors shortly.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Until it is fixed you can use 3.1.08A ,its a very solid build for sculpting....your presets are all gonna be fine there and there is no holes from using Symm Copy command.

Edit:BTW Andrew was able to reproduce,its gonna be fixed in 3.1.15 :)

• Contributor

Until it is fixed you can use 3.1.08A ,its a very solid build for sculpting....your presets are all gonna be fine there and there is no holes from using Symm Copy command.

Edit:BTW Andrew was able to reproduce,its gonna be fixed in 3.1.15 :)

\o/

I think I've never been happier to hear a bug fixed :)

• Like 1

Updated to 4.1.15

- Tapering introduced! Look icon near the radius control.

- Fixed major bug related to symmetry & presets "desease".

- Lag after stroke fixed, Undo speeded up. This should improve sculpting experience greatly.

- "Frame" correct.

- Symmetry copy problem solved.

- Rapid/Claws corrected to be less bumpy (but still rigid).

- "Apply" overrides Enter in all tools

- Rotate along stroke/strips does not lead to initial round spot in some tools.

- Layer blending popup polished

• Like 2

• Contributor

It seems like the FlattenClay in surface mode still makes holes in 4.1.15, please kindly check it.

I confirm (but it wasnt in the list of fixes either)

about symm copy...

I had 1 hole from RS after Symm Copy but the incidence seems to be much much lower ...I mean now its actually difficult to trigger....like it went from 30% chance of happening to 1 %...

Evrything else seem fine on my side :) But I did really just a quick test... I must go now,I report tomorow if I find something probllematic. Cant wait wait to try tappering .

• Contributor

I had a lot of issues downloading the build (even on gdrive) I had to redownload like 5-6 times each time failing toward the end. Strange.

Anyway: Preset fixed ! Yay.

At first I thought it wasn't the case only the last time I tried to lock everything to symmstore and saved the preset file. Make sure you update all your presets without it,unless you want to. It should be off by default, I can't confirm but I think it was on by default.

Validation on enter is a small thing but for me it's a big change: I can finaly OVER ABUSE  smoother :) It was so tedious before that I was mainly using smooth and powerful smooth. So BIG thanks for that :)

Other than that all looks good here (not tried flattenclay though).

Oh just one question: It may be related to navigation settings or something like that but I can't find it: If I use a curve and press enter to validate: I get a small zoom effect each time as if 3dc was trying to reframe. A bug or... ?

On the other side: I don't understand the tapering function. Would love to have a little explaination on this one.

• Contributor

Oh just one question: It may be related to navigation settings or something like that but I can't find it: If I use a curve and press enter to validate: I get a small zoom effect each time as if 3dc was trying to reframe. A bug or... ?

Is the issue similar to this?

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1119

Andrew, many thanks for fixing the presets bug + many other stuff. I need to lay my hands on this build ASAP. :)

I don't think I've done anything wrong but in the past 2 versions I've tried to bake and I'm getting no normal maps or anything besides basic displacement.  Anyone else see this or could it be something I'm doing? I've tried using both Per-Pixel and Microvertex.

post-466-0-54659500-1410049775_thumb.jpg

I don't think I've done anything wrong but in the past 2 versions I've tried to bake and I'm getting no normal maps or anything besides basic displacement.  Anyone else see this or could it be something I'm doing? I've tried using both Per-Pixel and Microvertex.

attachicon.gifbake_bug.jpg

Possibly you checked "Beke with names correspondence" ?

I checked - baking works as expected.