3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

hmm, increase or decrease Object density from the voxtree layer RMB panel , change the scale of the mesh not the poly density oO ( 4.1-15b)

this is not new. this is the way it works (like photoshop)(,,,I know its confusing )

its actually increasing the density of the "document" so any NEW voxel stuff you paint/merge in it is gonna be

of much higher/lower polycount. Those 2 functions are only relevant to voxel volumes not surface mode anyway...

Imo those 2 functions should be removed,nobody really uses them...

The things you are looking for are in voxel menu not voxtree rmb menu.

-To change polycount to custom values use  Resample,

-To  Increase res use REs+

-to downgrade use proxy mode

industrial beta build

new primitives slit, head... properties

thread, close, pitch, etc

\o/

/edit

constructor with #25 is working -64b- BUT BOX nope

to use Box model hang 3DC... when app come back... al geometry destroyed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8th Challenge - Flying boat sculpting and texturing - Open Voting !

• Contributor

(...)

Andrew, apart from the issue with aliased texture edges in NM/Disp bakes I posted above, I'd like to point out another one in the Retopo Room that I find very annoying (to say at least)... <_<

Consider the following scenario.

There are three objects in VoxTree: object_A, object_B, object_C.

Object_A has three children: object_A1, object_A2 and object_A3.

Object_B has four children: object_B1... object_B4.

Object_C has no children.

User creates retopo groups for object_A, B and C. Three in total.

He defines UVs for all three objects. Let's say objects A and C use the same UV set.

Because objects A and B have children, user sets bake snapping to "outer surface". He checks in and out depths for object_A and adjusts them accordingly. He also sets one or two influence spheres to fix local problems with depth. However, he then notices that in/out depth values are not suitable for objects B and C. Also, he doesn't really want to use snapping to outer surface on object_C, but  snap to closest along normal (due to object lacking any children).

So, what he can do now with object_B and C? Insert a couple dozens of influence spheres to fix all depth problems with those two objects? Probably. But this is not only very tedious, but also introduces a lot of mess in the viewport and things start to get out of hand with more than 20 spheres.

This is why I think each retopo group should have its own, individual in/out depth and bake snapping settings.

---

Also, a few words about influence spheres.

Could you please add an option to toggle their visilibity on/off when previewing baking cage in "Bake scan settings" window? I currently have a scene with over 40 of them and its almost impossible to see the in/out depth preview through this crowd.

And by the way. Have you considered adding an option to load an editable cage that could be used as an alternative to influence spheres?

Reply:

In next build there will be visibility icon.

In near future I will do depth to be brush based (actually volumetric)

Any news about the underlined feature?

Or cages perhaps...!?

Are there any plans of making bake settings unique for every retopo layer (plus a switch to make it global)? And what I mean by 'bake settings' is: in/out depths, snapping method, influence spheres. This would help A LOT with name correspondence baking of multiple retopo groups.

Updated to 4.1.16

- Constructor tool enabled. It was developed previously but was not open to everyone. This is lego/minecraft style of cell modeling - mainly aimed to children. Together with symmery, pose and wrapping it may help in "serious" modeling as well.

- RMB controls radius in more predictable way in 2d texture editor

- Swap YZ option in preferences (to work with editors that has Z - axis - up) globally exchanges Y and Z everywhere (in dialogs, naming etc)

- Tapering tweaked - pressure at the end of curve will be used even after the end of tapering length. In this way tapering may be use to start strokes smoothly regardless on initial "pen strike".

- Rapid brush tweaked to work closer to previous version but bake advantage from newer approach. This is done to preserve compatibility with presets.

Paint room curves fixed:

- rmb controls radius correctly in both - 3d and 2d modex

- fixed problem of incorrect normal in some cases of windows configuration (blocking problem)

- rmb click toggles hardness

Mac&linux versions will be done as well for 4.1.16 in several days.

• Like 4

Constructor Tool is neat, hope to see some new features for it in the future.

Some ideas:

1. How about some quick preset sizes...(5,10,15,20,25,30) or maybe just a x2 or /2  (double or half) current brush size.

2. A Sphere type block

3. Remove blocks with any object type selected (currently you have to have the square block selected and hold CTRL to clear)

Bugs:

Corner or Edge objects leave an "over hang" (also some objects like cylinder)

*This causes things to not align, and when you remove a block the "over hang" is left (see cylinder)

5414a3608e3c7.png

Constructor Tool is neat, hope to see some new features for it in the future.

Some ideas:

1. How about some quick preset sizes...(5,10,15,20,25,30) or maybe just a x2 or /2  (double or half) current brush size.

2. A Sphere type block

3. Remove blocks with any object type selected (currently you have to have the square block selected and hold CTRL to clear)

Bugs:

Corner or Edge objects leave an "over hang" (also some objects like cylinder)

*This causes things to not align, and when you remove a block the "over hang" is left (see cylinder)

5414a3608e3c7.png

Overharg is inavoidable, othervice seams will appear.

There will be more blocks (gradually)

CTRL CLICK wil remove whole block in any mode.

• Contributor

Omg Andrew THANK YOU !

Not a big deal for some but it means a lot of for me:

Paint room bucket is now "autopicking". It means you don't have to select the volume you want to paint on (surface model painting) before filling it up with base color.

AND the paint doesn't make the layer selection go down to the lowest "used" layer :> It means you can now work just as you would in photoshop without loosing time picking volumes AND constantly adjusting layer selection \o/

One the other hand it doesn't keep the last layer selected per volume which means if:

You select layer one on mesh A

then select mesh B and select layer two

then go back to mesh A: your selection is now layer two.

Also, with the exception of the radius interference (sphere influence around backfacing polys) and some brush "dotting" along stroke, I must say: 3dcoat got better brush engine than zbrush. Good job here.

• Advanced Member

Andrew. Not been on here for a while, but just wanted to say that I've been using the latest version for the past couple of days (mainly retopo. UV and texture painting) and this feels like a really solid build. I haven't has a single crash. 

• Advanced Member

Thanks a lot! I am really glad last 3 "cleaning" weeks was helpful.

I did notice speed improvements in the paint room too. Switching between 3DC and Photoshop is seamless.  But the biggest speed improvement seems to be the baking routines. And just no issues.  Looking forward to playing with the other new tools.

Edited by wave of light

The manipulater for the pose tool isn't showing much of the time, even when 'hide gizmo' is disabled.  I'd post an image, but don't see where to upload if it isn't online already.  But there isnt much to look at, just the reliability of the pose tool is having some issues.

-j

• Reputable Contributor

The manipulater for the pose tool isn't showing much of the time, even when 'hide gizmo' is disabled.  I'd post an image, but don't see where to upload if it isn't online already.  But there isnt much to look at, just the reliability of the pose tool is having some issues.

-j

What version/build are you using? Seems like it's working fine on my end (4.1.16).

Try ALT + SHIFT + S when it happens or screen record it, so it's easier to see what's going on. No gizmo is going to show if you don't have anything selected.

@ bocs

CRTL+click is working on my end.

Do you have one of the bottom brick types selected? (it does work for the others)

example...in the pic when I hold CTRL it selects the middle block to clear, but when you click it adds the cylinder block when it should clear it.

5417b338d778d.png

I was playing with Constructor just now with the Options panel floating and discovered that when I clicked certain shapes the panel would jump to the top of the screen.  I was actually recording a little video demo of the tool so it must looks strange to the viewers.