3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

Need a little help with a simple default behavior.... When I open a new doc and enter the voxel room, my default brush has been "set" on one of the brushes I rarely use...

I don't know how I "set" it. Trying all the key combos, looked in help etc....

Can anyone direct me on how to set a default "brush" (The tab is named "alphas" now.....

Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor

Basically, if you wanted to Translate/Move, Rotate or Scale the model you have in the Paint Room, you simply cannot, because this most fundamental task is busted and obviously has been for a while now. I've gone all the way back to 4.1.11 and no joy

Maybe Axial Symmetry broke it?

Thanks unity2k - so Constructor is a Voxel tool even though it works with low poly elements.

Would be nice® to keep the results in low poly surfaces as well or introduce a reduction method that creates an optimal poly count...

• Contributor

I got another case of preset switch freezing. 30 seconds to wait for switching between tools... it's what...5th time I think it happenedf  for no reason at all.

One second everything is fine, the next it's bugged and there's nothing you can do about it... even trashing the mydoc folders don't do it.

I'm now redownloading the setup file, to see if this will get rid of it.

Back to base.

[Edit] Nope. Nevermind, I'm crossing the street again.

[Edit 2] Seems the file is corrupted everything works ok on a new scene. Unfortunately I can't send said scene file. Well I hope I can get this bug back on a new smaller scene.

• Advanced Member

I got another case of preset switch freezing. 30 seconds to wait for switching between tools... it's what...5th time I think it happenedf  for no reason at all.

One second everything is fine, the next it's bugged and there's nothing you can do about it... even trashing the mydoc folders don't do it.

I'm now redownloading the setup file, to see if this will get rid of it.

Back to base.

[Edit] Nope. Nevermind, I'm crossing the street again.

[Edit 2] Seems the file is corrupted everything works ok on a new scene. Unfortunately I can't send said scene file. Well I hope I can get this bug back on a new smaller scene.

I notice these delays if the folder containing the brushes changes. If the tools share the same brush folder, I don't get the delay.

• Contributor

I notice these delays if the folder containing the brushes changes. If the tools share the same brush folder, I don't get the delay.

My problem was actually related to a geo-mess. But nice of you to report this the micro delay are indeed related to this. Never thought it would matter but it seems it does.

• Reputable Contributor

I notice this too. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a delay of a few seconds to reload nearly 100+ brush alpha's.

• Contributor

a little Tapered Sharp brush variation,maybe some of you will find it useful.... Really one of my main brushes those days, lenght is relatively short so you can't run it down the entire spine of a character for example but its much fun when doing wrinkles, hair strands ect...

Tapered Sharp.3dcpack

post-1195-0-01383800-1412692002_thumb.jp

• Like 4

a little Tapered Sharp brush variation,maybe some of you will find it useful.... Really one of my main brushes those days, lenght is relatively short so you can't run it down the entire spine of a character for example but its much fun when doing wrinkles, hair strands ect...

attachicon.gifTapered Sharp.3dcpack

attachicon.giftaps.jpg

Nice brush! Thank you for sharing. :)

• Advanced Member

It might be user error, but for me this still does not work correctly.

3DCoat always produces additional, unwanted vertices/ faces on the symmetry plane. What I'm talking about is this:

sym_plane.png

I get this problem all the time. Ive generally just ended up either welding points at the end of the process. or exporting the retopo mesh and then welding points together in c4d, then bringing it back.

quite frustrating.

Do you have virtual mirror mode = on

if yes, you need to work ONLY in the right side of the model -with sym X on-

when finish the manual retopo... do:

Retopo menu > Apply Symmetry to current layer

• Advanced Member

I get this problem all the time. Ive generally just ended up either welding points at the end of the process. or exporting the retopo mesh and then welding points together in c4d, then bringing it back.

quite frustrating.

That's not an error.  It's usually caused by placing one vert beyond the symmetry plane.  If you pull it the other way, you'll notice a hole.

• Advanced Member

is there a tutorial that explains the various mirror modes?

its been giving me issues since i started 3d coat. i remember initially i was getting wierd poly's along the middle, not like this, but like extruded down into the mesh. the virtual mirror option fixed that i think.

ah well, more experimenting. thanks for the help.

edit: would be nice if verts on top of each other auto welded.. wouldnt it?

Edited by Aleksey

• Reputable Contributor

its been giving me issues since i started 3d coat. i remember initially i was getting wierd poly's along the middle, not like this, but like extruded down into the mesh. the virtual mirror option fixed that i think.

Just like having verts weld at the center of the symmetry plane (when using the Symmetry modifier), you have to adjust the "Mirror Snapping" at the top of the UI for 3D Coat to even know you want them welded within a given range. Before doing any work along the Symmetry Plane, adjust it to 20-40%. Andrew should change the default value to 25% or so. That way there are fewer issues in this regard.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

They do, but only if you're near enough for them to snap.  You can change snap settings found as AbnRanger noted.  Otherwise, to weld them you can simply stack one on top of the other.

I'm getting a crash when UVing upon hitting the 'unwrap' button; it doesn't happen with all geo, but there seems to be no manifold or problematic geometry with the pieces that do cause a crash.  Figured I'd bring some attention to it.  Below is the crash log.

post-2039-0-17220000-1413485542_thumb.jp

Also I get an exploding vertices error when importing into zbrush even if use all the geometry cleaning tools in 3dc; see the pic below

post-2039-0-53557900-1413486687_thumb.jp