3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

I've seen a number of nasty holes and reported them when it caused a crash while I brushed near the holes. What caused them for me was using Crease Clay and then Pinch on the same area. I did find one thing that worked one time, I haven't tried since, but I could right-click the VoxTree layer and pick Close Holes. In previous attempts I tried Close Holes from the Voxels menu and nothing happened.

I did just now notice one minor issue that I'll have to report, the Symmetry plane is single sided.

http://screencast.com/t/TNShGIoVmhTh

Hey Phil, It's the backface culling under the view tab to sort out the single sided symmetry plane!

• Reputable Contributor

For Sergyi:

Linux general crash bugs or lock ups. Linux beta 4.00.A4 64 bit non cuda 12.04 LTS

First, good job on getting the linux beta 4.00.A4 out the door to test.

I will post a mantis bug report later in the week if I have narrowed down any cause than can be reproduced in a reliable manner.

It seems to be some kind of operations bug. I am only guessing because, I am not a programmer.

List of crashes or lock ups.

Lock up, Symmetry copy under the voxel menu "random"

Lock up, Auto retopoing with edge loops,(no strokes defined) "random"

Crashing when working on a retopo mesh. "random" (could be happening when switching to a different tool.)

Crashing when switching back to surface mode from the paint room after doing some vertex painting. "random"

A very long pause when selecting a sphere primitive from the primitive menu (left tool bar) in surface mode when symmetry is enabled. (always)

Tser's report

Crashing when saving in the retopo room.

For newer users of 3DCoat. You can run and use both version 3.7.18F and the new beta 4.00A4 in Linux Ubuntu 12.04. Version 4 beta has it's own separate folder under "Home"

Version beta 4 will accept your version 3 license. I would expect that to change of course once the official version is released. Just to do not use them both a the same time since the beta 4 uses your version 3 license.

With the new version 4 of 3D-Coat will come an all new Manual.

As 3D-Coat has gotten deeper and deeper - supporting more and varied workflow scenarios, it becomes impossible for one man, (me), to know and absorb all of the possible workflows - for every possible use.

Therefore, I am opening up the contents of the version 4 Manual to User contributions. I need workflow examples - laid out in easy-to-understand formats.

Anyone who contributes will be given full credit within the Manual and will be raised to the status of "Fantastic Contributor", automatically.

Please send me a private message if you are interested.

Greg Smith

• Like 1

Hey Phil, It's the backface culling under the view tab to sort out the single sided symmetry plane!

Thank you, I'm not sure why you'd want to turn that on.

Therefore, I am opening up the contents of the version 4 Manual to User contributions. I need workflow examples - laid out in easy-to-understand formats.

Don't we kind of already have that with the wiki?

• Advanced Member

The retopo mesh I created in 3DCoat I exported to Softimage to create the UV's, then exported it back to 3DCoat, the imported mesh in the Retopo room was riddled with holes (missing quads), so I tried to add the missing quads only to find the UV's were lost and automatically replaced by some self generated UV mapping, has anyone else found this?

Edit:

After trying the import again with a freshly restarted 3DCoat, the import came in complete, how strange!!!

This, sort of, reminds me of Windows 3.11/95, back in the day...

T.

• Reputable Contributor

The retopo mesh I created in 3DCoat I exported to Softimage to create the UV's, then exported it back to 3DCoat, the imported mesh in the Retopo room was riddled with holes (missing quads), so I tried to add the missing quads only to find the UV's were lost and automatically replaced by some self generated UV mapping, has anyone else found this?

Edit:

After trying the import again with a freshly restarted 3DCoat, the import came in complete, how strange!!!

This, sort of, reminds me of Windows 3.11/95, back in the day...

T.

Sounds like you really need to delete the Options.xml file. You're having a lot more trouble than I am experiencing, and some of that sounds like a corrupted .xml file.

• Reputable Contributor

@ Tser. Are the same problems both in 3.18F and Beta 4.00A4 for Linux? Does one have a problem while the other version does not?

I run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

The below is just for you infomation, some you might have know of / done already but just in case.

I know when the new icons first came out, I had to do a complete clean install by deleting the 3DCoat folder under "Home" for Linux as they cause problems. Something went bonkers with the 3DCoat folder under "home" and I got all sort of errors.

I also never overwrite the 3DCoat folder on my Linux desktop. That cause another user some problems as well. He did a clean install and his problems were resolved.

I rename the older version folder to a new name and then just extract the new version tar file and as you know 3DCoat is ready to run with no install process like the windows version.

I did not copy any of my settings over to the beta 4 folder under "Home", so I would have a clean install so the bugs I find can not be cause by something going wrong there.

I have some normal beta bugs in version 4. A few of those bugs were in 3.7.18F as well. I would guess some problems you are having are due to file corruption as AbnRanger said.

• Advanced Member

I always unpack the tar archive into a new folder in my Home folder, I always have, the 3D-CoatV3 folder I copied to 3D-CoatV4 to keep my settings, I cannot understand why there would be corruption. Any way, what do you mean by a "clean install", do you mean to delete the 3D-CoatV4 folder and loose all my settings? because the only other 3DCoat related folder is the unpacked tar folder.

Also, I did have a lot of similar problems with the 3.7x versions too.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

I always unpack the tar archive into a new folder in my Home folder, I always have, the 3D-CoatV3 folder I copied to 3D-CoatV4 to keep my settings, I cannot understand why there would be corruption. Any way, what do you mean by a "clean install", do you mean to delete the 3D-CoatV4 folder and loose all my settings? because the only other 3DCoat related folder is the unpacked tar folder.

Also, I did have a lot of similar problems with the 3.7x versions too.

T.

Yes, delete the 3DCoat V4 folder under home but back it up first. That way you could test to see if there is any file corruption. If you rather not take a risk on losing settings, that is understandable.

I unpack the tar folder to my desktop and it creates the secondary 3DCoat folder under "Home" or it is created when you first run 3DCoat. I believe there are some settings saved to the home folder that are not in the main 3DCoat folder from where you run 3DCoat from. It is similar to the windows version in that way as the windows version creates a secondary 3DCoat folder under Documents and settings / username folder. Maybe that is part of the problem but only guessing there. Remember I am just trying to help and am not a power Linux user.

EDIT: I had stated Mydocuments folder but it took a minute for my brain to remember, ah it's Documents and settings / username. It has been awhile since I used windows regularly.

• Advanced Member

Ok trying to open a project from 3.7.18F linux in new V4 Beta. If I use the splash screen to open the project in V4 it comes in with an extra layer and is linked to that layer as if it was the parent. But the layers do not have any parenting or child relationships. If I open the same file from the file menu I do not get the extra added layer but then nothing is visible in my screen. Data seems to be there somewhere because I see the symmetry plane update each time I activate one of my vox tree layers. To fix this I have to create a new layer and then use the move to... command to free the layer from the layer that was created when I opened the file. I have to do this for all the layers in my scene. Like I said, the layers have no parent or child relationships except for the root of course, but somehow they are all linked together. On ubuntu 12.04LTS running the 3d coat 64.

• Advanced Member

Anybody else getting incorrect shadows on model in render room as well as voxel room? On ubuntu 12.04LTS Nvidia card

• Reputable Contributor

Anybody else getting incorrect shadows on model in render room as well as voxel room? On ubuntu 12.04LTS Nvidia card

No incorrect shadows in my beta 4.00.A4 version of Linux 12.04LTS. I run the 64 bit non cuda version. Nvidia 550Ti...

Thanks for the reports for Version 4 beta linux version. I would suggest you sign up at Mantis and post a bug report and the steps to reproduce the bug. Andrew runs an open beta and relies on the community to post bug reports. Mantis is the best place to post them. Of course you can post here too... :D

Someday maybe I will create a Linux 3DCoat user group if I can find the time...

EDIT: I see you are already signed up.

Mantis link:

http://3d-coat.com/m...y_view_page.php

• Advanced Member

No incorrect shadows in my beta 4.00.A4 version of Linux 12.04LTS. I run the 64 bit non cuda version. Nvidia 550Ti...

Thanks for the reports for Version 4 beta linux version. I would suggest you sign up at Mantis and post a bug report and the steps to reproduce the bug. Andrew runs an open beta and relies on the community to post bug reports. Mantis is the best place to post them. Of course you can post here too... :D

Someday maybe I will create a Linux 3DCoat user group if I can find the time...

EDIT: I see you are already signed up.

Mantis link:

http://3d-coat.com/m...y_view_page.php

Yeah already signed up and posting. On a Nvidia 560. I think it's funny that we have similar systems and different problems. Well the appear similar anyway...

Hi guys,

Are you also getting these artifacts? *check attachments)

I get them after 3DCoat is opened for 1+ hour, after a reboot the artifacts disappear..

post-7933-0-93898000-1350755663_thumb.pn

Any screen issue I've had I used the alt-enter shortcut to enter and exit fullscreen mode to refresh the screen as a workaround. If I got strange holes in my mesh as well I would switch from Surface mode to Voxel mode or vice versa to clear them up. I'm on a linux though. May work for you may not.

• Reputable Contributor

Im new, sorry if this has been asked or answered... I'm interested in picking up a copy of 3d-c and would like to know does it support painting across multiple uv tiles in the current version or V4?

It currently works with multiple UV sets, but you can import and export tiles (it converts them incoming and outgoing if you need that support). If it's critical for you to have better support in this regard, please feel free to contact Andrew (support@3d-coat.com) and mention why it's important. Myself and others have asked for a native option to work in tiles. Maybe a few others chiming in, might compel him to consider it.

It currently works with multiple UV sets, but you can import and export tiles (it converts them incoming and outgoing if you need that support). If it's critical for you to have better support in this regard, please feel free to contact Andrew (support@3d-coat.com) and mention why it's important. Myself and others have asked for a native option to work in tiles. Maybe a few others chiming in, might compel him to consider it.

Thanks Abn,

Yes i must admit i am quite surprised by this missing feature. I see a lot of high detailing tools, both in sculpting and the paint engine from the looks of it (haven't spent much time, just mainly in manuals and the youtube channel). I am kinda dumbfounded why it wouldn't support a format (so to speak) that allows for the output of all this detail.

Maybe its really tough to program and its a problem to get it to work, if not, then it really should be there. The only way i can see at the moment to capture all the detail you create in 3d-c is via ptex and thankfully i use Houdini which natively support it, but its such a new technology to work with and UV are simple to work with especially when working with them in Photoshop.

I will send Andrew an email to encourage the development of this feature, because right now its one of the glaring shortfalls i can see in this program.

I see a lot of terminology being used, uv sets, uv tiles, uv maps etc with regards to 3dc. I dont know if im using the correct term but im talking about having a model having multiple texture spaces.

For example.

UVs.jpg

Each one of those quadrants represent a separate map allowing for a high level of detail. I used a 4k image for each. These UVs are also relative to each other so the amount of texture space for the chest is the same for the face, this is important so you don't have filtration issues.

• Advanced Member

This is supported right? I mean you can lay out your UVs like this in your 3d package (Maya or whatever) and import tiles as sets in 3dcoat. You can export it back out like this too if required.

Is there some other function that's missing?

• Advanced Member

This is supported right? I mean you can lay out your UVs like this in your 3d package (Maya or whatever) and import tiles as sets in 3dcoat. You can export it back out like this too if required.

Is there some other function that's missing?

It's supported but you need to do some go and back.

It would be much better to support it like all the others packages do .

By the way i'm probably wrong, but if you have an asset with let say 4 tiles with 4 channels you have to import 16 textures one by one .

If somebody know how to automate it don't hesitate.

I may be missing something but I don't see the benefit to tiles over using multiple UV maps.

I can give you at least one good reason, with multi-tiles you are working with a pack of textures instead of many differents textures.

It means basically you only use one texture reader per assets ,it's much easier to automate textures assignation.There's a lot more benefit but the one that i gave you is more that enough for me.

pixo

• Advanced Member

Pffffff Im now at a point that the Retopo room is TOTALLY useless.. im almost done with my retopo mesh but the last few steps are just oo much for 3DCoat..

- Saving the file causes a crash

- Adding edge loop causes a crash

- Adding quad causes a crash

I think I have to reinstall 3.7 for now.. <_<

• Advanced Member

Hello Johnnycore sorry to hear that, i just tryed to :

-Save a file with retopo

-Export a retopo

-To add an edge loop

-To add a quad

It worked here, do you have steps to reproduce it ?just to check if it happen on every OS.

I'm currently working under Ubuntu.

Cheers

• Reputable Contributor

Pffffff Im now at a point that the Retopo room is TOTALLY useless.. im almost done with my retopo mesh but the last few steps are just oo much for 3DCoat..

- Saving the file causes a crash

- Adding edge loop causes a crash

- Adding quad causes a crash

I think I have to reinstall 3.7 for now.. <_<

You can run both 3.7 and beta4. There is no need to uninstall either program. The beta 4 version has it's own separate install folder and folder under c:\documents and settings\ username \ MyDocuments

Just use your 3.7 license for the beta 4. I did not copy any of my 3.7 settings over just so I could have a clean version for testing for bugs.

I have a windows version of 3DCoat has well so I will test into see If I have any of the problems you described. I would uninstall beta 4 plus delete the beta 4 folder under c:\documents and settings \ username \ MyDocuments Then reinstall and see if you have any problems. Sounds like some possible file corrpution you are having...

• Advanced Member

It's supported but you need to do some go and back.

It would be much better to support it like all the others packages do .

By the way i'm probably wrong, but if you have an asset with let say 4 tiles with 4 channels you have to import 16 textures one by one .

If somebody know how to automate it don't hesitate.

I can give you at least one good reason, with multi-tiles you are working with a pack of textures instead of many differents textures.

It means basically you only use one texture reader per assets ,it's much easier to automate textures assignation.There's a lot more benefit but the one that i gave you is more that enough for me.

pixo

I must admit I don't really understand what you mean. What is the difference between a pack of textures and many different textures? Are you talking about file naming?

Also, multiple channels per map are supported, RGBA is four channels. You can shuffle the channels in the paint room.

• Advanced Member

It also crashes in 3.7.. Im not sure why.. the whole day it did not crash once but now its crashing all the time!

3DC-DX64 CUDA, 3DC-DX64 Non0Cuda, Windows 7 Pro, Windows 8 Pro

If it helps I would like to donate my model to 3DCoat support!

I can also submit it to the forum so you can also try it out if you like?

Ok so i have been playing around with the beta demo.

3dcoat.jpg

I loaded 1 map for the Face, Chest and Right Leg. All at 4k

From just playing around a little its pretty good. I cant find how to paint in UV space (im sure its in the manual).

To be honest the only big flaw i can see is that Layers are not independent per map. They are global. And it did take a chunk of ram about 10 gb but that might be because i was testing alot.

It would be great to store layers per 'Material' but im sure that is quite a big undertaking.