3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member
E modes improvements: new modes for square and circle instead of SHIFT&drag because SHIFT conflicts with other modes - bit.ly/OrVYxS

- Recangle &circle modes

Any chance we can have the option to move freely/ live all epanel lasso mode selections until we let go of a shortcut key such as the tilde key?

This function in Photoshop or ZBrush uses spacebar - but spacebar is used otherwise in 3dcoat.

Whilst a good part of V4 at this stage is rightly squashing bugs I'd also like to see the rounding off of functionality when time allows.

• Reputable Contributor

Regarding the reported problem here with holes...well, i did the steps, Resample actually mess up normals so is the responsible, no LC tools, but even in that case most LC and surface tools will quickly fix those normals, by stroking over it... so I don't see real holes happening....can affected artist provide more detail please?

I'm not the affected artist, I followed the steps and reproduced the hole. Not every single time. It took several times brushing out from different corners and finally I got "1" hole. I was fairly aggressive in my brushing with the LiveClay brush. Now concerning the wireframe mode I spoke about. I zoomed in really close and saw no disconnected vertices, Like you could several months ago when you got a mesh tear. The mesh was still there and appeared connected but was just white in color compared to the freeze painted other sections of the wireframe mesh... Now in non-wire mode it looks like a hole. If the resampling meshes up the normals in this case the LiveClay did not fix them all because it was using the LiveClay brush after the resampling that resulted in the hole.

I normally run Clean Surface after I resample in Surface Mode but I did not in this case so I could follow the steps per instructions.

For the record, I have used LC extensively since it was released and it is now much much more stable, Good Job...

I am waiting for the linux version beta 6 to be released and will put all LC brushes to some hard testing and report anything I fine...

• Reputable Contributor

hi :)

Solved the explosions issue with Andrew and me in a code sprint!

told you that reproducing a bug is 60% of the solition and may even more ;)

I just had a crash (Beta 6b, windows w/CUDA), simply selecting the SnakeClay tool > selecting a voxel layer and started brushing (first crash I thought the layer was in surface mode still). 3D Coat automatically switched to the Grow tool. As soon as my brush touched the layer...BAM! I tried this a second time to see if I could get it to repeat and sure enough it did.

This has got to be the buggiest build I've ever witnessed. Load the brushes that I normally use = CRASH. Delete Options.XML and re-install the app > Open = CRASH! 5 crashes in the last 15 minutes. Great way to get some work done. In fact, I'm dead in the water with this build. Deleted all the .xml files > re-installed the app = no good. CRASH!

#AbnRanger

That version of SnakeClay while good, has pretty unsafe defaults (too high detail level more evident in smaller strokes) and internal code does not restrict you from some intermediate steps that can increased poly count to bring your system to its knees, that is hopefully improved now with coming update...tough for safety we have sacrified somehow performance in that tool and I will eventually find a better solution, but as you request, stability is first.

The problem when a tool does not restrict the user is that unless user really knows what's the tool's doing it end up messing everything. In programming there are pairs of variables that are inversely proportional: flexibility-usability, memory footprint-performance, and so on, so we need always to make compromises becasue we cannot increase one without decreasing the other. <_<

• Contributor

Just to illustrate my point with cuda (and possibily join AbnRanger stance on updating cuda in your code) here's what I get when activating it in beta 6b.

I noticed that regular dx version didn't have as much bugs as cuda one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoxqtG1o7rM&feature=youtu.be

Btw other time after a reload of 3dcoat it simply crashes at first stroke with cuda on...

• Contributor

Im so sorry for people who are having problems....I've been sculpting now for 3 hours straight and no crashes,explosions so far... :)

Im working on 5mil layer that directly came from voxel mode without clean surface performed...and Im having a blast,speed is just dazzling!!!

And i own one of the punniest rig on this board...

I use mainly Buildclay,Rapid2 and Pinch+Remove strecthing,Tangent smooth with Reduce and Detalise set to shift and ctrl-shift....

Cuda is on but I haven't updated any drivers ,Im still using same drivers and Cuda kit from 5 years ago....

maybe this is why Im not experiencing this hell you guys are in right now,...anyway apport of Cuda in sf mode is marginal.

Edit:Ok,I got 1 crash now and found condition;

-Select a Liveclay brush

-Select a Voxel volume (non-SF mode)

-Try Grow brush on layer...

-Crash

it seems user needs to switch to a non-LC surface brush before selecting a non-SF layer to avoid crashing.

• Reputable Contributor

Im so sorry for people who are having problems....I've been sculpting now for 3 hours straight and no crashes,explosions so far... :)

Im working on 5mil layer that directly came from voxel mode without clean surface performed...and Im having a blast,speed is just dazzling!!!

And i own one of the punniest rig on this board...

I use mainly Buildclay,Rapid2 and Pinch+Remove strecthing,Tangent smooth with Reduce and Detalise set to shift and ctrl-shift....

Cuda is on but I haven't updated any drivers ,Im still using same drivers and Cuda kit from 5 years ago....

maybe this is why Im not experiencing this hell you guys are in right now,...anyway apport of Cuda in sf mode is marginal.

Edit:Ok,I got 1 crash now and found condition;

-Select a Liveclay brush

-Select a Voxel volume (non-SF mode)

-Try Grow brush on layer...

-Crash

it seems user needs to switch to a non-LC surface brush before selecting a non-SF layer to avoid crashing.

In what mode? Voxel, Surface, or LiveClay only?

• Reputable Contributor

I think again it's back to something to do with brushes used, a combination of LC and regular surface brushes or tools used which includes a combination of using both together.

I can use Clean surface when switching from voxel to surface mode and not have problems, others get explosions. Maybe due to the brush or tool use. I like Artman and others have what we call safe brushes when using LC and a couple of surface mode brushes.

Up to now that was how I was able to work in LC with few or no problems but that was only a stop-gap measure till Raul got back from Cuba.

Now he is back addressing these very problems and Andrew is involved as well. I think we will continue for awhile experiencing crashes and mesh problems in surface mode using LC in beta 4 till the LC code is beaten to a bloody pulp of submission... Raul, keep swinging that coding bat...

• Reputable Contributor

Liveclay of course...optimization in latest build was made in LC,Andrew didnt write anything about changes to voxel mode.

I see. Raul mentioned he and Andrew working over bugs and optimizations. Wasn't sure to what extent the "optimizations" were done. Seems like the speed comes largely from a decimation routine? BTW, I deleted the brushes folder I had (probably lost a lot of good custom brushes in the process), deleted all the xml files and re-installed. Not crashing like it was yesterday. That crash with you mentioned (same one I had) must have corrupted one or more of the brushes, I'm guessing. Probably good to make a backup of all brushes folders, presets, etc while they are good.

Hi :)

Those explosions should be gone in coming update, they have being spotted and fixed already and yes, the cause was exposed when a mixture of LC and Surface tool where used, but, again, should be solved in next update.

The performance improvements have been done in most if not all LC tools.I haven't touched CUDA versions yet, but eventually I'll explore better GPU acceleration, not only from NVIDIA, but is not as straightforward as may sound, there are lots of algorithms that does not take advantage of 2-4 cores not even mention hundreds of them for GPU due to their linear nature, but I will explore that path too.

Is just Im constrained now to test, stability and minor optimizations :p:

• Like 3

• Contributor

Hi :)

Those explosions should be gone in coming update, they have being spotted and fixed already and yes, the cause was exposed when a mixture of LC and Surface tool where used, but, again, should be solved in next update.

The performance improvements have been done in most if not all LC tools.I haven't touched CUDA versions yet, but eventually I'll explore better GPU acceleration, not only from NVIDIA, but is not as straightforward as may sound, there are lots of algorithms that does not take advantage of 2-4 cores not even mention hundreds of them for GPU due to their linear nature, but I will explore that path too.

Is just Im constrained now to test, stability and minor optimizations :p:

;) Good good

• Advanced Member

This all sounds like very good news to me. You seem to be addressing the issues at lot of the hardcore users have been indicating at and now you've even dangled a 'GPU' carrot to maybe please others in the future.

• Reputable Contributor

Bureaucrats, An administrator concerned with procedural correctness at the expense of people's needs.

I will not even go there for fear of being banned because of bad langauge used at Bureaucrats... I dealt with them too many times....