3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Reputable Contributor

This is the long-standing bug known as:

"0000165: Cutout cardboard effect bug"

You can sign up for an account at the 3D-Coat Mantis bug reporting site. Once you have an account you can vote to have this bug fixed. There are already many votes, but your vote may finally convince Andrew to fix it.

I always use DX and I don't notice it. Can someone record a screengrab to show this?

This is the long-standing bug known as:

"0000165: Cutout cardboard effect bug"

You can sign up for an account at the 3D-Coat Mantis bug reporting site. Once you have an account you can vote to have this bug fixed. There are already many votes, but your vote may finally convince Andrew to fix it.

I know this bug, but is not fixed because I have no idea how. It is bug of drivers, I have not found way to force them to work properly in this case. It is ONLY GL related.

• Advanced Member

Would it be possible to get an option to move the user's settings to a different folder? This way I can keep it in my Dropbox (or Google Drive/sugarsync/etc) and have my hotkeys and settings synced between my work and home machines.

In the mean time I could set up a symlink, but I wonder if that will work at all? Will there be conflicts this way?

Would it be possible to get an option to move the user's settings to a different folder? This way I can keep it in my Dropbox (or Google Drive/sugarsync/etc) and have my hotkeys and settings synced between my work and home machines.

In the mean time I could set up a symlink, but I wonder if that will work at all? Will there be conflicts this way?

from http://www.3d-coat.com/files/floating.pdf

Separating changed data from installed files to share data between users

Other possibility (optional, just for convenience) is to separate 3D-Coat’s installed files and files that was

changed during the work so that you may place 3D-Coat installation files to protected or read-only location.

Install 3D-Coat to any location (even protected or user-dependent). After that you should create file

coat_data_path.txt in the same folder as executables or define environment variable COAT_FILES_PATH that will point to the location of changed data files. Path should be ended with slash “/” . License file should

be placed in the same folder as all data files. In this case all changed files wil be written to new location but if

installation location is read only you will not be able to delete any folders or files (like initial brushes,

materials, strips, models) of initial installation inside 3D-Coat’s shell. If you will not create file

coat_data_path.txt or define variable COAT_FILES_PATH then 3D-Coat will use 3D-CoatV3 folder in User’s

folder under any OS.

Spline tool: i like so much the elegant implementation.

Ty for develop it :)

-----------------------------

bug ?

Im changed the windows location, like example brush options was at my left.

at 3.7 this changes keep in place

at 4.x this changes are not saved. and every time i open v4 the windows location are the default ones.

what must i do to save its forever ?

ty

Thank you for all the updates Andrew.

I am hitting quite a significant speed bump though at the moment. I import a model to UV texture and it has multiple tiles, so i set import those as sets. And when i set the UV to 4096 there is a massive slow down. I have to hide all but one of the tiles to get it back to being responsive. Is this normal?

Thank you for all the updates Andrew.

I am hitting quite a significant speed bump though at the moment. I import a model to UV texture and it has multiple tiles, so i set import those as sets. And when i set the UV to 4096 there is a massive slow down. I have to hide all but one of the tiles to get it back to being responsive. Is this normal?

Send me model to support and describe a bit steps to reproduce, I will discover.

Hi there again.

Tested newest beta 8A and B. Posing + masking seems to be still not working as it should.

Tested with default human "Male" character (single object one). 64bit DX version 4beta 8B

1. Activate pose tool

2. Set selection mode to "Paint with drawn contour". Ignore backfaces off

3. Symmetry on

4. Volume or surface mode on

5. Mask part of characters arm (left arm) then add to selection with 2-3 selections

6. Move pose gizmo to shoulder area and pose

Only tiny part of right arm is moved (if symmetry is on) while other parts of selection stay still. If symmetry is off then only part of selected area is moved by pose.

It doesn't seem to be just second or third area of mesh which I add to selection, but something similar.

• Advanced Member

Can I import a depth UV map in MV mode? (32bit exr or anything)

It doesn't work, as most things under MV mode. It works under PPP though (as most things)

I understand, this thread isn't for bug reporting. But I like to report that MV mode doesn't work in general... I mean it's unusable as it is.

Hello, I sure love following this testing thread. When new features are added during the beta would be soooooo nice to have more info on how to use each feature or any additional information on what the feature can do. As this would help with getting in to the testing. I search on youtube or tinker code and here for more info each time something new is added. Having a blast with the new spline function but working on using in with the ON PEN and what is the POLISH feature? Sorry such a newbie but 4.0 beta is so awesome Iam spending alot of time with it.

I'm pretty sure the new spline curve tool does not work in conjunction with "On pen".

As all brushes tend to adhere to the surface and orient themselves to the normal of that surface, automatically, just use the new tool as you would the old spline curve tool - it should orient the brush profile to the surface.

Many of the LiveClay tools will operate in what approximates "polish" mode - tending to flatten the surface out, along the average surface curvature, in a parallel fashion. Just hold down the "Shift" key when using these LiveClay tools to get the "polish mode".

Greg Smith

• Reputable Contributor

Selecting UV islands by clicking on the object in UV mode only after you merge the object is good but also very limiting.

My feature request was for the Retopo Room after you unwrap the object and before merging. I need to be able to quickly select uv islands on the object and move them to another uv set so I can get more Texture Space for that uv set before merging...

Please if possible add selecting uv islands by clicking on the object after unwrapping and before merging from the Retopo room as well...

Can I import a depth UV map in MV mode? (32bit exr or anything)

It doesn't work, as most things under MV mode. It works under PPP though (as most things)

I understand, this thread isn't for bug reporting. But I like to report that MV mode doesn't work in general... I mean it's unusable as it is.

I tested and import EXR works correctly om my side. If you will send me file to reproduce it will help.

What else is not working? Tell exactly - ALL is not answer.

====================================================================

Mac&Linux version updated to BETA8B

• Contributor

I just wanted to say to Andrew that I think sculpting in 3D-Coat has become quite good overall!

For a long time I felt that Zbrush was much better, but recently I am starting to like 3D-Coat more!

The only drawback is that it took me a long time experimenting until I figured out how to make it do what I wanted.

I have to test further before making a full report, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the new Splines e-panel tool and making Pose selections. Particularly with the spline wrapping around an object (character). It seems if I create it, then switch to another e-panel tool and back, the curve gets messed up, the part that was on the "back", furthest from the camera, gets moved to the front. Some very unexpected results are also coming from using it with Pose selection as in the pic below.

2012-12-23_1927.png