3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

Updated to BETA11 (Win)

- с++ like script langualge (angelscript) will be available soon within 3D-Coat's shell.It allows to perform batch actions, create macro commands and interactive tutorials. It has very basic functionality now and will be extended on requests. c++ like scripting chose becaus of speed, possibility to include good scripts directly into 3D--Coat's engine.

- Transform gizmo related changes:

1) Leave rotated axis turned ON by default

2) Gizmo direction&position stored for each volume. Both are correctly transformed when parent gets some transform

3) "To main axis" button - same as in retopo room. Retopo room's button renamed to "To main axis" because it has no relation to any local space.

4) Mannequin model rearranged - correct parenting, pivots and axis direction. It was very easy with new command. Now posung mannequin is pure joy.

5) To center mass/bound center are changing only position, not direction

6) [X] button near coordinates to clear them quickly

7) In primitives ahis directions are hidden by default, but you may show them if need (axis coordinates was cluttering panel a lot)

- masks preview for cubemapping (when navigating)

- lag problem when switching rooms and tools fixed

- different mantis reports fixed

Mac, Linux builds coming soon, but some delay possible due to scripts implementing.

• Contributor

!!For scripting!! Requesting a little info regarding the abillity to grab the element that is directly under the cursor (much like how we can move edges/verts/faces using the addsplit tool right click) imagine being able to setup our own spin edge that is immediately accessable. but theres a lot more we can do with this selection method.

any 1 have better display frame rate ? :huh:

from B10 to B11 i have almost double fps, working at same project :blink:

Makes me wonder if the lag was something to do with UI redraw?

• Like 1

3d-Coat-V4-BETA11-32: starting..

The application or DLL c:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V4\tbbmalloc.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

On replacing tbbmalloc.dll from an earlier beta package:

The application or DLL c:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V4\tbb.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

tbb.dll and tbbmalloc.dll are probably not 32-bit windows versions In 3d-Coat-V4-BETA11-32.

3d-Coat-V4-BETA10-32 had no such error message.

Replacing both DLL-s from earlier beta packages solves the problem.

• Advanced Member

Is there a way to change opacity in the paint room by holding down the RMB and dragging up/down? It's strange how doing this changes the depth value when both depth and specularity are disabled. If it's not possible to change opacity this way, perhaps the RMB+drag needs to be more context sensitive, affecting the opacity value when in opacity (aka diffuse) only mode, the specularity value when in specularity only mode, and depth only if depth mode is the only one active.

The only problem I see is that two or all three can be enabled at the same time, meaning one would have to take precedence and I'm not at all sure how that should be handled. An option in the preferences maybe? Or perhaps 3DC could look to see what type of layer is active (I like to have separate ones each dedicated to map type). This might mean changing how layers work though and I'm not sure how much work that would be, if Andrew would want to do that, or even if it's a good idea.

The reason I bring this up is because I change opacity every few seconds when painting my diffuse layer. I find it useful for slowly building up color while keeping it nice and blended with those nearby. Having to go up to the top of the interface is very annoying. The O and P keys aren't much better because it takes time for the values to change, and like I said I do this often. Basically both ways of changing opacity interrupt the fluidity of my workflow, making it difficult to work quickly and efficiently. I considered putting all this on Mantis, but decided perhaps I should ask here first just in case I'm overlooking something. Your input is most welcome!

• Reputable Contributor

Zeddicus, You can achieve what you want by creating your own navigation preset under the camera menu.

Here is one I created and included here. Do not put the file in the installation folder of 3DCoat but under your user name folder in windows where 3DCoat creates a folder to store some of it's settings. Inside the 3DCoat folder there is a navigation preset folder the file goes there. UnZip the file to that location.

Open 3DCoat and look for "Camera" with a drop down arrow in the upper right part of the interface. Hover your cursor over "Custom Navigation" and you will see a list, choose "Opacity"

How this preset works:

Hover your mouse cursor over the paint room model, hold down the RMB button and move either Horizontally or vertically to change the opacity of the brush. The more the Yellow circle turns blue the less opacity you have and vice versa...

To change the depth of the brush, hover over the model then first press and hold down the RMB button and then press and hold down the left mouse button. repeat on moving as stated above.

Middle mouse scroll stays the same as default for brush size for when you hover over the model.

For moving your object around in the interface.

These work only in screen space not while you are hovering the mouse cursor over your model.

LMB for Rotation. Hold down the ALT key if you want to rotate on the model as well...

RMB for Panning

Press and hold down the MMB for zooming in and out.

You might not like the way I set it up completely but it will get you started on learning how to create your own navigation presets. To change this one go back to Camera\Customize Navigation.

I did not set anything up for specular, look over the navigation preset parameters and I'm sure you can figure out how to do it. Remember you can return to using the default navigation preset just by choosing it again from the list...

Opacity.Navigation.zip

• Contributor

It would be great if somebody would create a script for user-customizable on-screen buttons.

There is a toolbar in Maya for customizable buttons (which can activate scripts). This is what we need for 3D-Coat.

Maybe we could just put those buttons in the Presets panel.

Where/how can we get started with writing these scripts?

will be great to have a "macro recorder" where user can read every click pressed in a log text

like example... and using this table

http://3d-coat.com/i...anguage=English

Left side USER ACTION = Right Side SOFTWARE COMMAND

Select Brush shape = SELECT_PEN_SHAPE

Radius = PEN_RADIUS

Load a new material = ADD_MTL

---------------------------------------------------------------

It would be great if somebody would create a script for user-customizable on-screen buttons.

There is a

EDIT > Customize UI

but never used it, i dont know how it works

When Running 3d Coat V4 BETA11 32 Bits on Win XP, I have the message:

The application or DLL "tbbmalloc.dll is not a valid Windows image"

I checked it and its a 64 bit DLL.

Same for tbb.dll

I didn't have the same problem with version BETA10

There is a

EDIT > Customize UI

but never used it, i dont know how it works

It simply allows you to hide/unhide existing tools from your workspace. It doesn't do anything more advanced like custom panels and so on.

• Advanced Member

Hi I import my object plus phototexture from 123D Catch. It is very nice because it is a photorealistic scan, perfect!

It used to be possible to switch from surface to voxel and back while retaining texture information, now it disappears.

In order to repair some things I need to use voxels.

Also would it be handy if it was exportable as UV data? :)post-1736-0-14391400-1359552876_thumb.jp

Someone here has problems using "projection painting" in the paint room (on V4 beta 11, Windows 7 64b; both Simple & Cuda version) ?

Projecting textures are not displayed (or poorly when they appear), it is virtually impossible to adapt to the model.

The model is also displayed with "soft shadow" (automatically), which prevents me from accessing/work on the UV grid of the model.

• Advanced Member

Someone here has problems using "projection painting" in the paint room (on V4 beta 11, Windows 7 64b; both Simple & Cuda version) ?

I'm having some problems and I have reported few issues for the paint room:

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=924

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=920

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=931

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=935

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=937

• Advanced Member

Not sure if this is a beta question, but just to be safe i'll post here. ON the action panel when starting v4 I tried the The Paint on Vertices option, could this be used for weight painting or colourising verts? Because it seems to give you option to only paint on a voxilsed model. I've looked in the manual but can't find info on this. I assumed after importing a mesh i'd be painting on that mesh directly? I think to be able to weight paint with 3DC tools would be effective especially with an app link.

• Advanced Member
Zeddicus, You can achieve what you want by creating your own navigation preset under the camera menu.

Wow that made me facepalm. Why is it always the obvious things we forget about the most often? Thank you for answering my question and going to all the trouble of creating the navigation file for me! I feel so dumb lol. Now I'll go play with your config while I hang my head in shame. ;)

Add this with the possibility to save the layout and we've got custom UIs that could satisfy everyone.

Now that would be awesome, plus make a lot of users really happy I think.

• Reputable Contributor

After installing beta v11 I am unable to run the program. It says that ...\tbbmalloc.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains error. Please help thanks.

I am using the 32bit version.

Yeah, this seems to only be happening with the 32bit version. Andrew may already know about this, but in case he doesn't, please drop him a note about it (support@3d-coat.com)

• Reputable Contributor

Vertex Color Map Specular Channel question.

Andrew, Both I and Photonvfx have noticed that no specular is exported for a vertex color map. Is that a limitation of vertex color maps not being able to support the specular channel. A bug? or just not written into the export code for vertex color maps that you have compiled at this time? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Selecting UV Islands in the 3d viewport in the retopo room is a useful feature, but hunting for the center of a triangle/quad can be tiring. Could we get a hotkey (or ctrl+shift click) that just selects the UV island that the mouse is hovering over, regardless if it's just an edge or a poly? I'm constantly marking seams everywhere by accident. Arg.

While using the Crease surface tool (while inverted), I happened to notice something. Depending on the e-mode the user has selected, the results vary a lot. The spline tool is so good when doing many edges at a time and it's great that it can follow a path that can be tweaked, but I can't use it because of the bumpy edge it produces. The standard line tool doesn't have this problem, at all.

Anyone else notice something similar?

post-10422-0-34890000-1359730949_thumb.p