3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you for the Linux build too! :yahoo:

Although I see, that the problem with tablet navigation is still there (http://3d-coat.com/f...showtopic=10948). But this time I'm going to put it to Mantis right away. ;)

There is a bug report at Mantis for this problem already posted...

#0000915 Go there and +1 the report plus tell what kind of tablet you are using...

Anyone else encountering problems with big files? I get an error regarding virtual memory, which sounds extremely strange because I have plenty of free space and 130 gigabytes assigned to page file. Also machine is fully 64 bit and 32GB ram.. The sculpt file itself is around 4 GB atm. Cant open it anymore. I have saved incrementally and file sizes near 3 gb do open.. ?

• Reputable Contributor

@ freelancah. First I do not know which version you are using. There was a Mantis bug report and it was supposed to be fixed in the version 4 beta series. It could be broken again. I would recommend saving manually your own series files to avoid this problem for now. It is an old habit of mine to save my own series of saved files as I work in a sculpt. I been using computers for a long time, they are unfaithful ladies, I never trust them no matter what program I use.

Honey where have you been?, it's 2AM. Oh I went to the store for a beer.. Yeah right, who have you hum*&*^ping... ;)

Im using the latest version v4 beta 11.. And I do have manual saves but I'd rather have my file intact than split it into pieces due this issue..Guess I just cant close the program before I'm done.. ? :P

• Reputable Contributor

@ freelancah. First I do not know which version you are using. There was a Mantis bug report and it was supposed to be fixed in the version 4 beta series. It could be broken again. I would recommend saving manually your own series files to avoid this problem for now. It is an old habit of mine to save my own series of saved files as I work in a sculpt. I been using computers for a long time, they are unfaithful ladies, I never trust them no matter what program I use.

Honey where have you been?, it's 2AM. Oh I went to the store for a beer.. Yeah right, who have you hum*&*^ping... ;)

LOL, David. Sounds like somebody's had a beer...or three. :D

• Reputable Contributor

Anyone else encountering problems with big files? I get an error regarding virtual memory, which sounds extremely strange because I have plenty of free space and 130 gigabytes assigned to page file. Also machine is fully 64 bit and 32GB ram.. The sculpt file itself is around 4 GB atm. Cant open it anymore. I have saved incrementally and file sizes near 3 gb do open.. ?

Try turning CUDA off (Voxel menu), and uncache as many layers as you can. Caching layers and saving them, in a cached state, tends to make the file size swell. Then save the file and try it. Sometimes, just exiting the program and re-opening it will make some weird, bug-like behavior, stop. Not always, but every once in a while, it's worth a try.

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

Very gladd to see scripting being started. Kind of disappointed it's not Python though. It's the industry standard, apps currently using it:

Houdini

Nuke

Maya

Softimage

HDRLight Studio

Vue

Gimp

Blender

Most studio pipelines

Unfortunately, while c++ is known by hardcore programmers, most artists and TDs don't know it, but do know some Python.

Not being critical here, but I'd urge you to consider Python integration, I think you'll find a much wider audience for it :)

Specifically, Python 2.6 which is currently the standard...

Cheers,

Peter B

• Like 1

I've got to agree with Peter on that. Why can't we have both? I'd personally use python if it were available. That said, I don't know a lick of angel script. Python for artists & TDs, angel script for you coders? Best of both worlds.

• Advanced Member

I'm very agree Javis and Peter.

Our asset manager is done under python and the ui run under pyqt.

We access our database and use our asset manager through a custom python sdk.

I see no way to redo this ,it means 3dcoat is kind of out of pipeline.

Many studios do the same, it would be good to implement python as well (Python isn't the devil).

No need of complex python function , just to be able to access the data (file , path , load geo etc).

Don't need special iterator to loop the mesh etc, just the ability to load an asset and export it via custom tools (same with textures).

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Yep, add Lightwave to the list too, that has implemented Python in v11.

I hope we can say when version 4 is released that Python is included... :D

Please add Python to this outstanding application you have created if all at possible...

I can't speak for Andrew's plan for scripting, but as a programmer myself I will say that providing a C++ API could be the basis for adding support for any other language. It is also a lot easier to start with because you can generally just make functions that already exist within the application visible outside the app as opposed to building an intermediate layer that has to speak both languages and handle the transfer of data between both worlds. IMHO it makes a lot of sense to start with C++ and build support for other languages on top of that layer.

• Like 1

Lots and lots of crashes while working with retopo and paint room today and yesterday. Many of my saved 3Bs and autosaves cause a crash when loading. Bug reports were submitted.

Edit: Interestingly I dropped down to the previous beta, 4 b10, and my problem file loaded fine. I haven't been able to test my other big crash.

• Advanced Member

Is anyone else seeing problems with ptex (missing quads) when using the DX CUDA version? It's most noticeable when importing an obj using a low carcass resolution. The OpenGL CUDA version, on the other hand, seems to work fine.

sorry but...

all operations -besides rendering- are currently threaded to take advantage of multiple processing cores ? :huh:

switch rooms, change opacity level, save, merge layers...

i had opened task manager... and only can saw one processor running at 100% and the another idles :blink:

• Advanced Member

All versions of Beta 11 on Windows 7 x64 (GL/Cuda or No, DX/Cudor or No) - Bas Relief and Undercuts appear to be broken. Bas Relief cuts away only the back material but adds no material.

Tested by deleting all my settings, and found that Bas Relief was fixed, as well as Undercuts.

Putting back Options_Presets broke both again... however, replacing just the old Options Presets with a "fresh" copy did not fix it. I had to delete the Tool_Presets folder, and options_presets.xml

Do you have a a surface mode object painted ?

i find holes AFTER paint layers at surface paint mode... <_<

--------------------------------------

Andrew talk about reduce tool:

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=841

Andrew

2013-02-05 15:28

I managed it, seems Reduce may create too big triangles that causing wide set of problems. Not I limited triangles size growing, it works now much better.

Andrew

2013-02-05 15:29

I set it as resolved, if it will appear again in beta12, reopen issue.

• Contributor

I dunno, most of the time I can get holes/explosions just by resym and brushing a bit with removestretching on...

Resym is a nest of bug I'm sure of it. Btw we wouldn't need to use resym nearly as often IF the symmetry option was per "mesh", because if you work on asymetrical parts and forget to bring symmetry back on symmetrical parts YOU HAVE TO resym...

But then again an old request still waiting to be fulfilled... (signature)

And carlosa: no paint, sculpting like Artman did in his bug report, simply doodling on the default sphere.

It might be a good idea to create a voting system here on the forum about the most important request a game or CGI developer uses in their pipeline every day/week.

Get the three most requested functions from Mantis. Create choices A, B, C and people can vote and see the immediate results, how many users want A or B or C feature. Then it might be sensible to realize the one request that gets the most vote. The request doesn't have to be a "new feature". Rather a heavily used function in creating CGI in everyday work that is not currently in 3D-Coat or not working the way users would like and people have to go to other software to finish their models.