3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

Excuse me for many grammar mistakes, english is not my native language smile.gif

If you will find any grammar mistakes, please post it there in form:

Original ungrammatical string1 [optional, but better to post it if original and actual strings differ much]

Actual string1

Original string2

Actual string2

text could be found in file text.xml in the root of installation folder.

Thank you!

Andrew

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=534

• Advanced Member

Thank you for posting that link for everyone, carlosa. Hopefully more folks will choose to use it in the days to come. :)

I like "UV Mat."

That could work, though I feel it could still be even more accurate. It's certainly not just materials, nor just UV's either despite the fact it automatically takes on the name of a UV set when you create one (which can be changed afterwards so that it differs). It's not just geometry either, though overall I feel it's more that than the other two given exactly what it does. Really it's all three of those things combined which is why the name should reflect that as best it can.

It would also help if it didn't automatically take on the name of the UV sets you create because, in addition to the already confusing name of the popup, that automatic naming also confuses users. Something along the lines of 'Poly Group 1 (UV set name)' would be more descriptive if a tad long, or better yet have a dialog box which appears, asking the user to type in a name of their own choosing. In fact when the UV dialog appears asking the user to choose a name for their new set along with texture dimensions, the option of whether or not 3DC should also create a selection group based on those UV's should be in there too, along with (and this is the important bit) what the user wants it to be named. This, along with giving the popup a better name than "Materials", should effectively end confusion once and for all.

Here is a rough example of what I have in mind:

post-9206-0-65230300-1361677245_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

Ok nobody touch the uv sets and material workflow. Hehe.

Its vital to multiapp, 3dcoat pipeline.

uv sets - can be created infinitely per poly

material - are translated from host app material assignments - can be assigned only one per poly. I use this for quickly masking/hiding mesh into separate parts.

• Advanced Member

Awesome!

- E-mode circle/lasso/rectangle/spline etc will work closer to PS style - SPACE + LMB will move whole shape.

Bug in 12A

you can no longer paint "Materials" in the texture editor. I used to start out covering the whole texture evenly in the texture editor then cleaning up in the viewport

Ok nobody touch the uv sets and material workflow. Hehe.

Its vital to multiapp, 3dcoat pipeline.

uv sets - can be created infinitely per poly

material - are translated from host app material assignments - can be assigned only one per poly. I use this for quickly masking/hiding mesh into separate parts.

I strongly agree. The way it works now is perfect IMHO, I use this often too, and would hate to see it changed.

Awesome!

- E-mode circle/lasso/rectangle/spline etc will work closer to PS style - SPACE + LMB will move whole shape.

Bug in 12A

you can no longer paint "Materials" in the texture editor. I used to start out covering the whole texture evenly in the texture editor then cleaning up in the viewport

I can confirm this. Thanks for the report!

David, you open a Mantis for version 3x... is not listed at 4x

you need to "move a little" the texture editor windows to have the material OVER the Texture Editor display... and not UNDER it

If you do it, works

//edit

try first to open Texture Editor

And then select a Material

is about overlaped Windows...

Houston we have a problem

There is lot of Mantis 4x report created for version 3x

The Project: selector at the upper right corner.

Projects listed switching to 3x canT be watched in 4x :huh:

I duno how to migrate the recent ones.

any help is welcome

• Advanced Member

Ok nobody touch the uv sets and material workflow.

I also agree the functionality shouldn't be changed, just the presentation so there is no more confusion. I don't think the users who already know what it is and how it works would have any trouble with the ideas I put forth in my last post, which primarily are just name changes. One for the popup itself, the other for the names 3DC chooses to list within it. There are other ways to link surfaces to the UV sets they're linked to. I already mentioned putting the UV set name in parenthesis and/or letting the user choose the name (which can already be edited after their automatic creation). Another could be color coding which is something people already want in other areas of 3D Coat, such as the retopo room. If I had to guess, these changes should be fairly trivial for Andrew to implement. Provided he wants to of course, or even has the time. No doubt he has plenty of more important things already waiting for his attention.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I only commented on what Taros posted with the screengrab which seems to be a workflow that is done with 3dcoat being the starting point of a model. Probably good if an artist is a modeller in a linear pipeline.

If the model came from somewhere else you would not mess/rename/del the uvset name in 3dcoat because the exported model from 3dcoat would not match exactly the same as the model in the host app(3dmax, maya, lw) and that's not really desirable workflow since you can't simply import the model again in the host app because the model has changed. The material parameters are also derived from the host app material/surface settings and also not to be messed with in 3dcoat as this will ruin the model in the same way as changing the uvset name in 3dcoat. This is non linear workflow for me and I can work with host app and 3dcoat without worrying those two settings changed and ruined the I/O between apps.

If a model was started in 3dcoat, its less of a problem. Every export will be less consequential to the host app since 3dcoat is the base of everything. Unless the artist likes to change naming conventions of their models a lot then it won't be a problem since 3dcoat is the starting point of export. This kind of workflow is linear. We don't do it here.

Andrew has to make the changes on his end, because every time I correct the English file on my machine, it gets overwritten with each successive build. It gets to be a pain in the bum having to copy past the corrected one each time I install a new build.

It is better to give this kind of corrections to one person only. This is the reason, why I am translating the german version by myself only.

I warn you starting to correct or rewrite texts by several people simultanously. The problem: Not everybody is a good writer. I had very ugly experience when we started some years ago to translate the text into german. Some people were not very experienced in 3D work and wrote crazy things and used bad wording. At the end I took the task and do it by myself - a one person job.

Try to find someone, whe feels to be able to rewrite the english version seriously. And I warn you: It is a lot of work... :) 3D Coat grows faster then we write. ;)

Best wishes

Chris

any help is welcome

It can only be corrected by an adminstrator. I will try to correct this.

The reason, why all open 3.x bugs are in 4.x is because they were never resolved or closed. Some of the bugs are still existing in v4....

any help is welcome

All should work right now. Please confirm it.

Wrong v3 posts are moved to v4 too.

Thank you

Chris

For everyone who has not changed it in mantis:

To set v4 to the default project do the following:

1. Goto menu point "My Account"

2. Switch to "Preferences" in the My Account menu

3. Change default project

Best wishes

Chris

• Advanced Member

Obviously I'm talking not so much about the creation of new UV sets in 3D Coat, which do play a part, but more so how it also gives the same name to that particular group of polygons too. For those whom aren't aware, these are listed in the "Materials" popup which is enabled via the Windows > Popups > Object Materials (Surfaces) menu.

Clearly this popup needs a better name, especially given the fact there is already another popup with that same name which contains what most users expect it to (i.e. bitmaps for depth, color, and/or specularity). By giving a polygonal selection set in the "Materials" popup the same name as a UV-set upon the creation of one, folks tend to believe what is listed in the "Materials" popup actually is the UV-set itself which is wrong. It's clear to me now that many people make this mistake, including myself in the beginning.

The groups listed are strongly tied to UV sets in 3D Coat, but they are not really UV sets in and of themselves. Deleting one will delete the associated UV-set which I'm sure aids confusion, but this makes sense for how can you have a UV-set when there are no longer any physical polygons to apply it to? Renaming a UV-set will rename the polygonal group as well which also doesn't help matters. Renaming the polygonal group won't change the name of the UV set though. It also prevents UV-set name changes from affecting the name of it's polygonal group from that point onwards. Confused yet? :)

What's odd here is that deleting a UV-set also deletes the polygonal group from the "Materials" popup, which given the difference between them shouldn't really happen unless the user says it's ok. Currently the "Materials" popup is just a list of selection sets based on UV's, correct? It could just as easily list custom polygonal selections which have no connection to UV's at all, something which would be very useful for frequently hiding/unhiding a particular set of polygons during painting. And what if your mesh only has one UV-set? Limiting polygonal selections to the UV-set their part of kind of makes the "Material" popup less than useful in some situations, insofar as a painting aid goes. Yes there is the hide tool which allows you to paint on the polygons you want hidden and you can save that to a *.hide file for future use, but this is not as efficient, nor does it work very well (at least on my current low poly mesh it doesn't).

In any case I certainly welcome your input on how the popup should function as my workflow is pretty simple (create static mesh using Max and/or ZBrush, retopo/UV's/paint in 3DC, render in Max). My perspective is just one of many for sure, and may not even be 100% correct at this juncture lol.

PS: I noticed that the Hide Material and Unhide Material options found in the Hide menu will also need to be changed if the popup is renamed. The question I guess is whether it should say Hide/Unhide Surfaces (if that ends up being the popups new name) or Hide/Unhide UV-set. Given the fact that the eye icon in the "Materials" popup doesn't change when using the Hide/Unhide Materials menu option, my guess is it should probably be the latter.

• Reputable Contributor

Important for every mantis user who has not already done it.

post-955-0-35444600-1361808364_thumb.jpg

Thank you

Chris

It was not till Oct 1st 2012 that Andrew Officially started beta 4 till then it was still version 3.7... That is the reason so many reports are listed as version 3.7 or before. In the upper right corner of Mantis my project is set for version 4 by default.

An example bug report of mine (0000673) which was changed to "Project 3DCoat version 4"

0000673 was created in the last days Sept of 2012 before we had a beta 4 section at Mantis. The report listed the version I was using was Ubuntu 12.04 Linux 3.7.18F non cuda 64 bit therefore it as listed as a Project 3DCoat version 3.7. Bug report 000612 was submitted in August of 2012.

The report 000673 was made right before version beta 4 was released. I do not have the time to go back and update the project settting for all my reports. Remember all the version 3 reports were migrated to the version 4 section of mantis a few months ago.

I am writing this to clear up any confusion that might arise from bug reporters finding their old 3.7 resolved reports popping up to the top of their "Reported by me"

Thanks Taros and or Carlosa though for taking the time to change some of the status of the resolved reports....

• Reputable Contributor

Important for every mantis user who has not already done it.

post-955-0-35444600-1361808364_thumb.jpg

Thank you

Chris

Chris...I was just joking about your previous post. You didn't have to delete yours and mine. I knew you weren't making a racial slur. Just poking fun how some here are so hyper sensitive, they'll twist other people's words to make them look bad. I commented about GPU acceleration possibly making 3D Coat fast...rice rocket fast (I've always understood that phrase as a standard nickname for cafe style motorcycles...kind of like Harley Davidsons are sometimes called "Hogs"). Some antagonists here complained about it, claiming I'm a racist (because of it). :wacko: Just showing how silly it can get up in here, sometimes.

By the way, I posted a request about storing an object in the Models Pallet. More than half the time, the resulting thumbnail has a snapshot of the backside of the model, and repeated attempts to find just which axis the camera is taking the snapshot from, appears fruitless. I think the best solution is to use the viewport camera, instead of an arbitrary one (that never seems to be in the same place). It anybody else would like to have this resolved, please add your "+1"

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1009

I asked Taros to let in the thread only the info needed by the community and asked him to delete ALL the OFF TOPICS.

Was my idea and my responsibility.

My priority is the community and the community must be sheltered.

Every one must think about which image we are sharing with the digital artist big community.

What we have to offer to the others ?

Awesome works with an app that is growing day by day ?

Our knowledge helping the new users to find the way ?

Or our personal grudges battle of egos ?

3-DC need to grow and we -like community- need to grow too

United

i hope

• Reputable Contributor

I asked Taros to let in the thread only the info needed by the community and asked him to delete ALL the OFF TOPICS.

Was my idea and my responsibility.

My priority is the community and the community must be sheltered.

Every one must think about which image we are sharing with the digital artist big community.

What we have to offer to the others ?

Awesome works with an app that is growing day by day ?

Our knowledge helping the new users to find the way ?

Or our personal grudges battle of egos ?

3-DC need to grow and we -like community- need to grow too

United

i hope

That's understandable.

Thanks Taros and or Carlosa though for taking the time to change some of the status of the resolved reports....

Yeah man, thanks for doing that. Thanks for your help here on the forum, too.

Updated to 12B

This build should drastically improve overall performance of whole 3D-Coat. But with this change I need help in checking overall stability. On my tests it is very stable, but need your help there. Several Mantis issues fixed there, some instability reportes fixed too. Freeze menu now present in voxel room to operate over freeze in more flexible way.

Speed improvement related to windows version only, at least I understood why Linux/Mac was working faster than Win version.