3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

Ah, OK. I guess I assumed you couldn't as my workflow has been more linear. Thanks.

Edit: Actually, that method is OK, but not what I was after. In ZBrush you can paint while you sculpt...and other than depth, you can't really sculpt in the paint room. Even switching with the preset panel, it doesn't allow you to do both at once. Regardless, I do see how you can have both paint and sculpt at the same time.

you can't toggle painting (which REALLY needs a switch somewhere to see the sculpt vs sculpt+surface paint)

if i understand well...

to see the sculpt vs sculpt+surface paint i hide the painted layer.

• Contributor

Hmm funny I never though about this one (which is obvious ;) ), but you need to create another layer before painting though, because if you do that on layer 0 you make your mesh transparent. A toggle function would be simpler (even more if you use more than one layer), it shouldn't be too hard to add an option for that since this is basicaly the same as alt clicking on the layer 0 visibility icon ( and an option would enable a shortcut)

• Advanced Member

Anyone having problems with the baking in V4b12? I noted to Andrew that the baking of the same scene in the last v3 works fine, but with black splotches at a certain setting, but in v4b12 with the same settings, it had no black splotches, but there were lines and artifacts that weren't in the v3 bake.

Andrew, the lag selection in presets is back, I get as long as two sec lag when switching between presets.

Artman is impacted too.

Otherwise, working on 1-2 meshes sculpt didn't trigger crazy things except one crash which, as Artman suggested may be related to Move + removestreching with a big radius which also corrupted the file (after savecrash).

So good work there :)

Please send me file 3D-CoatV4\Presets.xml and 3D-CoatV4\Options_Presets.xml it will help to understand what happened.

I'm having trouble with the new Curves tool in the E panel. The line it creates is not curved all the time. it's creating a lot of straight lines. Here's a video, in it I'm just clicking, not holding Ctrl or anything.

http://screencast.com/t/D6CHEQdt3

Edit: It has also stopped working altogether. I'm trying to use it with Pinch in Surface mode and each time I press Apply or Enter the percentage number counts up but nothing happens on the model.

Ok https://dl.dropbox.c...s/3D-CoatV4.rar

For your information, some of those presets are using external alphas, the DAMMM folder (ask Artman if you need to)

I updated to BETA9C, there was one problem with presets, please check if lag problem fixed (I still can't reproduce it exactly).

Also in this build some problems related to full screen mode (ALT ENTER) solved, now it works better and will provide even better performance.

CreaseClay ioptions restored, one more option introduced to control extrusion independently on shrinking.

• Reputable Contributor

I updated to BETA9C, there was one problem with presets, please check if lag problem fixed (I still can't reproduce it exactly).

Also in this build some problems related to full screen mode (ALT ENTER) solved, now it works better and will provide even better performance.

CreaseClay ioptions restored, one more option introduced to control extrusion independently on shrinking.

Thanks Andrew. Much appreciated.

• Contributor

preset lag is gone on my side. :)

about preset topic,

there is still issue that preset display wrong pen icon or a very strange noisy icon

post-1195-0-33932800-1362380660_thumb.jp

(both set of brushes use curves as alphas)

its just a display issue, preset is still correctly associated to alpha....but still it would be good to find solution.

(been reported by Phil and others too a while ago)

btw speed increase is maybe the biggest Ive seen in 3dcoat devellopment...

it makes latest improvement you made in brushes strokes really shine. :)

• Contributor

What about general stability?

I will fix noisy pattern problem in next build.

Im only sculpting so I dont know about other rooms but it seems pretty solid on my side.

I dont have time to do a big continous session today but I will tuesday if Im not called to go to work.

I still think removestretching+Symmetry+largemove brush can make 3DCoat crash tough....I will try to investigate exact steps.

• Contributor

I can't test latest beta (at work currently), I confirm the weird alpha bug.

About the speed improvement I completely agree with Artman the latest improvement have completely transformed the sculpting feeling, most brushes feel like mudbox.

On the stability side i'll try to do a multimesh subject (i think some bugs are somewhat related to object number).

But like Artman I mostly use the vox room, i can't speak for the other rooms.

But on simple scenes it's ok, I got another crash yesterday (without using move +removestretching). I can take that kind of crash as long as my work doesn't get corrupted without reason (I mean not the crash-save file, the regular file).

• Contributor

Ok.

1) Via hotkey and via click

2)Rigth from the start, it's almost every preset switch but not always, kinda random. MUCH less witch click though it seems (I only use hotkeys I'm trying with click for once)

I've an hypothesis with this new update: the alphas with noise that Artman spoke about are generating the issue. If i switch between standard tools without fancy alpha it goes smoothly but if I switch from or to those brushes (sharp) with the weird alpha I get the lag.

[EDIT] Ok. Not an hypothesis, something is wrong with this alpha, I replaced it and no more lags. Andrew you should get Artman's pack because if you can create this sort of issue with custom alpha this will happen again.

• Reputable Contributor

A big thank for your hard work to restore the options for CreaseClay brush... :clapping:

Ok.

1) Via hotkey and via click

2)Rigth from the start, it's almost every preset switch but not always, kinda random. MUCH less witch click though it seems (I only use hotkeys I'm trying with click for once)

I've an hypothesis with this new update: the alphas with noise that Artman spoke about are generating the issue. If i switch between standard tools without fancy alpha it goes smoothly but if I switch from or to those brushes (sharp) with the weird alpha I get the lag.

Thanks, seems I found reason and fixed. I will update for test soon.

• Contributor

everything seems fine on my side, curves(alphas) display correctly too.

Could you add save/load inside EditCurve mode?....now the only way to save/load a curve is to save/load the entire penpack.

• Advanced Member

Has anyone tested the latest build on a Mac laptop? One thing I've noticed with 3.7 is that it shows to hotkey a function press the 'End' key, which there isn't one, and panning with the middle mouse button doesn't work, but it states to press 'Alt'+Middle mouse key and there is no 'Alt' either. Has this been changed?

• Contributor

I have to say I'm impressed with how fast 3D Coat has become. Large scene load times are cut down several times. Last time I checked, one of my larger files took 10-15 minutes to load and now it's only one minute. :gamer1:

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I noticed that Linux version 4.00Beta12B does not fix the current lag problem that effects Beta11. The lag builds up over time in Beta11 getting worse after many uses of 3DCoat over several days. I did not install a completely clean version of Beta12B but left the 3DCoat beta4 folder under Home in Linux Ubuntu 12.04. I did a complete clean install for Beta11 and at first there was no lag but the lag returned as stated above and still is getting worse. I have to run an older version of 3DCoat one time, then reopen 3DCBeta11 and the lag is gone but then it starts to slowly build up again.

Note: I run 4.00Beta to get rid of the lag so maybe knowing that will help track down the problem for Linux.

I will wait for version beta12D to see if that solves the lag problem and continue to use beta11 as the lag appears not to be fixed in the newest beta Linux version. It appears that Linux suffers some of the same lag issues that the windows version had. Beta12B Also has the CreaseClay options removed which are returned in Beta12D, so for me it is better to wait for 12D to come out and test that version for all the above reasons.