3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

This has been bugging me for a while now and I'd like to know if the bake tool in the retopo room is supposed to work this way of if it's a bug.

1) Import high poly mesh as reference for retopologizing.

2) After creating low poly retopo, create more than on UV set.

3) Set up the baking scan settings.

4) Use "Retopo > Bake texture" to output a normal map (or displacement map).

Now my thinking is that the number of maps 3D Coat creates should be equal to the number of UV sets you have, correct? Except that isn't what happens. You end up with only one single map which has all of your different UV sets baked into it. Basically this map is unusable garbage data. Surely this can't be right?

I know there are a couple of ways around this issue, if it even is an issue, which require you to merge to the paint room first. It's a bit of a pain and not at all obvious though, which in turn can lead to a lot of frustration. It took me a long time to figure it all out when I first discovered this and I wrote it all down to make sure I don't forget how (again) in the future because of how much time it took to figure out. Definitely don't want to go though that again and neither should anyone else have to.

Soooo... your thoughts? I'd like to know what others have to say on this one.

• Advanced Member

SNAP SELECTED (progressively with slider)

Such approaches will never work perfectly.

How snap works in 3dcoat? Snaps where? On vertices? On the normal of a face? On a face somehow? What will happen after subdividing the base cage mesh?

Such approaches make sense under a multi resolution editor. Where you can edit-resculpt the mesh, after shrinkwrapping a multi res mesh on your original voxel (or surface) sculpting.

This may explains why MV mode is still problematic.

Let's not try to re invent the wheel here. (MB, Zbrush, blender) (baking from multires)

• Reputable Contributor

SNAP SELECTED (progressively with slider)

Such approaches will never work perfectly.

How snap works in 3dcoat? Snaps where? On vertices? On the normal of a face? On a face somehow? What will happen after subdividing the base cage mesh?

Such approaches make sense under a multi resolution editor. Where you can edit-resculpt the mesh, after shrinkwrapping a multi res mesh on your original voxel (or surface) sculpting.

This may explains why MV mode is still problematic.

Let's not try to re invent the wheel here. (MB, Zbrush, blender) (baking from multires)

It's in reference to snapping in the Retopo Room....not baking. In 3D Coat, snapping is pure brute force. There is currently no way to finesse it. There is no way to gradually pull vertices toward the underlying (Voxel) object. The best example I can think of, is to refer to a recent new tool in 3ds Max (for Retopo work), called the "Conform Tool." It's very similar to using the BRUSH tool in 3D Coat....but again, the difference is that Max gradually pulls the verts of the (low poly) mesh toward the object beneath. 3D Coat does it in a harsh, absolute fashion.

• Reputable Contributor

Here is a video showing the Dot Loop/Ring (select every other Loop/Ring) function I've asked for a dozen times. In about 3 clicks total a user can select half the edgloops in a model and then delete them for super fast poly reduction. Very much needed for cleaning up Auto Retop work.

• Contributor

I tried to bake to microverts in order to export a proper displacement yesterday - a difference between the voxel model and the low-poly mesh (not painted depth information, or at least not only). I was following this tutorial:

The attached image shows what I got as a result. I tried many times with different settings, but all I got in each try were just slight variations of this abomination.

Are microverts broken in B13B?

post-12523-0-33680200-1364122882_thumb.j

• Advanced Member
It's in reference to snapping in the Retopo Room....not baking. In 3D Coat, snapping is pure brute force. There is currently no way to finesse it. There is no way to gradually pull vertices toward the underlying (Voxel) object. The best example I can think of, is to refer to a recent new tool in 3ds Max (for Retopo work), called the "Conform Tool." It's very similar to using the BRUSH tool in 3D Coat....but again, the difference is that Max gradually pulls the verts of the (low poly) mesh toward the object beneath. 3D Coat does it in a harsh, absolute fashion.

Thanks Abn. Interesting.

Actually, blender offers two snapping modes. A typical snapping to (obviously we will select faces snapping). A second involving shrinkwrap modifier. This behaves similarly to 3dcoat.

Hello, 3dCoad devs.

I downloaded 3dCoat Linux [bETA12B] and set my license key of 3.7.

Everything works ok but i found some issues:

- External 2d editor cannot be overridden. It's always photoshop.exe. And I cannot set my own editor's path.

- Shaders are not loaded in the Voxel mode. There are no shaders in the list at all.

• Advanced Member

Most impressed with version 13A (Linux), very few problems with the sculpting tools, great work Andrew.

I have a problem with the UV texture space though, if you could add a method of highlighting (painting) areas of the model so that when you do a UV unwrap you would get more texture space allocated in those areas, in a similar manner as you can when you autopo and have the option to paint areas you want to increase the generated mesh density. This would save a lot of time manually reordering the UV's.

Also I noticed that when I got into the painting stage after Retopoing, UVing and merging (MV), that the saved file size shot through the roof from 200mb to 1.6Gb, what is the reason for this?

All in all though, it was a good experience and the feeling of throwing something through the window has completely gone,

again, good work Andrew.

T.

• Advanced Member

The BUG in the Retopo room which causes some of the models retopoed vertices to be displaced far from their original positions when Tweaking or Brushing the models UV's is still there, this bug causes a huge headache because if you don't spot the distorted mesh early then you will end up with a messed up retopo mesh which takes quite a while to repair.

Andrew, you have got to fix this as its very destructive.

T.

The BUG in the Retopo room which causes some of the models retopoed vertices to be displaced far from their original positions when Tweaking or Brushing the models UV's is still there, this bug causes a huge headache because if you don't spot the distorted mesh early then you will end up with a messed up retopo mesh which takes quite a while to repair.

Andrew, you have got to fix this as its very destructive.

T.

I will be happy to fix. Just need some steps to reproduce if possible. Better if mantis will be used.

• Reputable Contributor

I will be happy to fix. Just need some steps to reproduce if possible. Better if mantis will be used.

Retopo presets still don't work. Try selecting the QUADS tool, then either Direct or Parallel, save a preset...do the same for each other QUAD tool options and notice that nothing changes.

• Advanced Member

I have already reported this in Mantis last year, I even sent you a video which you downloaded, I cannot get into Mantis now, I don't know why, it says that I might have been blocked, can you unlock it for me so I can report my issues.

Anyway, steps to reproduce:

Create a sculpt

go to retopo room and create a retopo mesh for it

create your UV set for it.

Now, start manipulating the UV points, edges and faces with the Tweak or Brush tools, it may take a while, but eventually when you take a look at your retopo mesh you will find that some of the points have been moved to other locations on your retopo mesh.

If you don't fix these as they are produced then the retopo mesh may be so messed up that you cannot fix it without a lot of work.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

Still getting that pesky 3-5 lag/delay when switching tools in the Retopo Room. Doesn't happen unless you use a tool a bit, then when you switch you notice a lengthy hiccup, waiting for 3D Coat to catch up. Please fix. This breaks the momentum a user may have and is very aggravating to deal with. Win 64 Beta build 13a

• Advanced Member

AbnRanger,

I never get the lag you're talking about. I wonder if it's a graphics card/driver issue. The only time I see a lag in the voxel room is when switching from Surface to Voxel or back. The lag at that point is understandable to me.

• Advanced Member

Here is the mantis report that Tser is talking about.

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=739

Can we confirm that this is only linux problem. I'm not able to see it in windows 7.

Thanks for that haikalle, that's the one, I think that this problem will occur for anyone who plays around with the UV editing for long enough, it always happens to me, I am now on Fedora 18, before I was on Fedora 14.

BTW, I don't get any slow down or lagging anywhere.

T.

I don't see any edit button...

Yeah I had that same issue. PM Chris (Taros) about it, he can get you squared away there. In the mean time I have updated the status of the report for you.