3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

+10000000

photonvfx suggestion

Please check this thread again:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11666&st=20&gopid=89857entry89857

I made slightly newer mockups as the last set had a slight field-enabling error. I had forgotten to keep the name fields enabled so you can change the names regardless of the size of textures you choose. This set of mockups fixes that situation.

Also I suggest this same method should be in the Edit > Mesh and Texture Resolution screen as well.

• Advanced Member

Unrelated to my last posts, but is anyone getting weird Undo problems in the Paint Room??

I thought I was going crazy, as this has happened on and off for several versions (I can't recall how long I've noticed this). But weird stuff happens particularly around the creation of new paint Layers. If you create a layer paint or rename the layer and then do something and Undo a couple of times, sometimes a single Undo undoes more than one step and sometimes Redoing causes the paint stroke to appear on a different layer (maybe because the creation of the layer is not correct in the Undo history??)

Anyone else experience any Undo issues (in Beta 14 or earlier)?

• Advanced Member

Are there any current problems with the Smudge Tool in the Paint Room with the latest Beta?

I'm getting no effect (but then again I don't use that tool very much so maybe I'm doing something wrong?)...

EDIT: Restarting 3DCoat made Smudge tool work again.... ?? Can't get it to fail now, so maybe ignore this post - I will post if it happens again.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, is it now better to work the ZBrush way by painting on the vertices and then Baking or the older 3DCoat way by creating UV's, Baking out the Displacement map (MV), then painting the hi rez color etc maps.

Because I have found that painting on a 4K map extremely slow, yet painting on vertices very fast.

T.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, is it now better to work the ZBrush way by painting on the vertices and then Baking or the older 3DCoat way by creating UV's, Baking out the Displacement map (MV), then painting the hi rez color etc maps.

Because I have found that painting on a 4K map extremely slow, yet painting on vertices very fast.

T.

What gfx card/drivers do you have? I am painting > 30 4K maps (layers) and find it quite usable on a GTX 570 (could be faster, but it works well enough to get work done).

• Advanced Member

Sorry, but what I should have stated was painting with cavity (more in etc), by the way I have a Quadro 4000, I have no problems with normal painting, painting displacements (bump), is also very slow.

edit: This slowdown seems to be when I am painting on an area which has a lot of displacement (large coverage area), on it, on areas where there isn't much displacement (area wise), the cavity painting is quite fast.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

T.

I just noticed that the sliders are buttery smooth when Vertex Painting, but are terribly slow and laggy when doing standard texture painting. I think this is again, a matter of Andrew should take a little time away from coding, at least once a month to work through a project. That's the best bug-fixing approach there is.

• Advanced Member

I have found that using 3DCoat for any length of time (days), the OGL driver (Linux) gets hammered and you have to restart x to reload the driver, this only happens with 3DCoat.

Video card = Quadro 4000 with the latest drivers in Fedora 18 (with all the latest updates).

T.

BETA14A intended mainly to polish all and fix mantis problems. Linux & Mac version expected i 1-2 days.

- possibility to specify distance between UV islands when packing (see command in left panel with settings)

- a lot of major mantis-reorted problems fixed including dots and falloff problem.

- when loading model with extenal textures each texture will be placed on separate layer, better support of bump in ext textures.

- lwo import improved, now if multiple surfaces refer the same texture they will be gathered to single UV set.

• Like 1

- when loading model with external textures each texture will be placed on separate layer.

this is working perfectly cool, ty ! :rofl:

can i ask for news about this mantis request ? :)

0000754: Improve baking textures: Option "Export all paint layers"

• Advanced Member

- lwo import improved, now if multiple surfaces refer the same texture they will be gathered to single UV set.

Needs clariffication. Is this hardcoded with no options to do it the way it was before? I can see a lot of problems with this.

Needs clariffication. Is this hardcoded with no options to do it the way it was before? I can see a lot of problems with this.

Now it is without options but if problem will appear I will make some options. Now it is a bit problematic, but ifthere will be real file with problem I will definitely do something.

This build seems to break the "zoom" on my Bamboo! Went back to 14 , its ok again....Any ideas? Maybe I will reload the driver later on when I am in the mood for poking around.

vista Ultimate 64,9800gt

Is tablet working at all? Seems there is one problem, I will reupload for test.

Using 3DCoat for any length of time (days), the OGL driver (Linux) gets hammered and you have to restart x to reload the driver.

Hi, Tser! Have you noticed any dependency from a particular tool? I mean does idle 3D-Coat result in such effect or particular tools have problems with OGL?

• Advanced Member

Andrew, It was just the zoom in and out that didnt work,I think everything else was ok. I wanted to get on with some sculpting so I put the previous vers (14) back on ...which is fine. I will re-load 14 a and Have another look at it so you dont waste any time trying to fix "operator " error on my part! One thing I didnt try was minimising 3dcoat to the task bar and reopening. This action usually solves a Bamboo problem I get when 3dcoat does a big calculation, it sort of "clogs" up my bamboo and only comes back to life when I minimise.

I dont think anyone else has mentioned this, maybe its just me.

Andrew, It was just the zoom in and out that didnt work,I think everything else was ok. I wanted to get on with some sculpting so I put the previous vers (14) back on ...which is fine. I will re-load 14 a and Have another look at it so you dont waste any time trying to fix "operator " error on my part! One thing I didnt try was minimising 3dcoat to the task bar and reopening. This action usually solves a Bamboo problem I get when 3dcoat does a big calculation, it sort of "clogs" up my bamboo and only comes back to life when I minimise.

I dont think anyone else has mentioned this, maybe its just me.

No, I noticed that important thing was forgotten for this build, but not sure it is related to zoom. I will reupload anyway.

• Advanced Member

Hi, Tser! Have you noticed any dependency from a particular tool? I mean does idle 3D-Coat result in such effect or particular tools have problems with OGL?

Hi Sergyi, No specific tool or action, some how 3DCoat breaks the OGL side of the display driver, I know its the OGL side because the Softimage view port doesn't display properly (Softimage version 2013SP1 and 2014). I have never had this problem with any other app, so I assume its 3DCoat and if I use ZBrush instead for days at a time I don't have any OGL issues in Softimage.

T.

I just tried the new baking engine. I tried baking details from one mesh to another and it works very well - thanks !. Question - since PP painting has a new deep displacement will this be built into the baking engine so that we can extract displacement as well as normals ? cheers

• Advanced Member

Beta 14A1 is great that it improves LWO import!! :) (too bad those import dialog enhancements didn't make it in though...)

But I'm getting that visibility layer-switching lag that was fixed awhile ago - it is back unfortunately. What I'm talking about is it taking at least 5 seconds to make a layer invisible now in the Paint Room. This was fixed a few version back (can't recall when - maybe beta 11?) and was fine in 13 but came back in the 14 versions. Not sure why this keeps coming and going. Has anyone else noticed this lag in the latest update?

Beta 14A1 is great that it improves LWO import!! :) (too bad those import dialog enhancements didn't make it in though...)

But I'm getting that visibility layer-switching lag that was fixed awhile ago - it is back unfortunately. What I'm talking about is it taking at least 5 seconds to make a layer invisible now in the Paint Room. This was fixed a few version back (can't recall when - maybe beta 11?) and was fine in 13 but came back in the 14 versions. Not sure why this keeps coming and going. Has anyone else noticed this lag in the latest update?

Speed of switchig the layer depends on amount of pixels there. It is unchanged for a long time and after beta 13 it may become only faster.