3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member
I always treated 3D Coat Render Room only as a helper in basic previewing of high-poly models or how would your colour/spec/depth textures combo roughly look like. Something to show to your client/boss. I think that's what it was designed for. It could benefit from some improvements, but in my opinion they should be improvements of what's already implemented. What I mean by that is for example: 1. The turntable, which I always have trouble setting up properly. I'm not sure how it works, but it always seems to put the camera aim point at the wrong place, so most of the time its completely useless to me. A moveable locator that would determine the centre of camera rotation would be a perfect solution here. 2. Visible DOF plane should be an infinite plane. For example, if you have a large character then you can't set the proper position of a DOF plane (at eyes), because it's to small and it's simply out of the viewport. 3. Lights should be visible in the viewport for easier manipulation. Just my 5 cents.

Some excellent suggestions. I was looking at marmoset for preview renders but figured what the hell, its the same effort to do it in 3dmax vray and lw renderer since I have preset scenes anyway. I would use the renderer in 3dc for quick wips to send to clients if the render room was easier to use and use 3dmax and lightwave as finals.

So again imho we should not focus 90% on sculpting. Other people use 3dcoat in other ways.

• Advanced Member

Sergiy uploaded win and mac build, see first page.

I am getting excellent rest there, very nice place there on the villa that we rent.

Stop posting and enjoy your vacation! :)

• Advanced Member

Enjoy the summer Andrew, it is summer there right?

@all

About the render room etc.

A simple test: Sculpt a relief and bake it on a single face plane. I need 16 or 32 bit displacement maps, please.

The only missing is the render room / parallel camera, render and export depth map. Do you have any other idea on how to do it? I need 4096x4096 32 bit exr or 16 bit tif at least. (linear color space of course)

• Contributor

Yes Andrew, the Cyprus economic disaster (even to a falloff in tourism) must provide excellent value for money. They desperately need your business (just don't put any money in the local banks!)

• Advanced Member
Michalis, have you tried using Export->Export depth along Y?

Why I should try it? Is this what I'm looking for?

Is Y the depth? or is it Z?

If you have any example, please, this UI is completely confusing for me.

• Reputable Contributor

Is it just me or is the ability to put things to global space to fix symmetry plane issues buggy again in 15A?

I think it's messed up, too. I've had it not line up at the origin, and had to click RESET SYMMETRY PLANE in the symmetry panel afterwards, to get it to reset the plane at the origin.
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

I think it's messed up, too. I've had it not line up at the origin, and had to click RESET SYMMETRY PLANE in the symmetry panel afterwards, to get it to reset the plane at the origin.

I'll have to look into that command, as I didn't realize it was there. I've been using 'To global space'

• Contributor

Why I should try it? Is this what I'm looking for?

Is Y the depth? or is it Z?

If you have any example, please, this UI is completely confusing for me.

It utilises an orthogonal Y axis projection to bake depth information into a square sized 32-bit or 16-bit EXR/TIFF file that can then be used as a (non-vector) displacement or depth map.

Andrew implemented it mainly for depth rendering of seamless tiles in the Voxel Room, but if you assume that the world's Y-down axis is your render camera's facing direction, you could bake camera-based depth/displacement of anything, I believe.

• Advanced Member

Does this mean "No Center Snap" is broken in 15A? In the past for me, symmetry was only on bounding box not on the actual X =0 when this was not checked on import or whatever. I wish this setting was defaulted on. But you guys may be talking about a different symmetry issue?

• Advanced Member

3dc beta 14a1 just crashed on me while painting (holding down e to erase), and when I restarted it all my settings were wiped. Attempting to Restore my workspace, the filetype it lists in the bottom is "3dc_wrokspace 3dc_workspace", which for obvious reasons it can't find. So now I can't load my settings.

I'd label this as 'urgent', which is also why I'm not posting it on Mantis (which isn't quick enough for urgent stuff. Bugs tend to remain unclosed for a long time there).

dragging the .workspace file into the viewport only results in a cutoff cancel (canc) button popping up.

even when renaming my workspace to "filename.3dc_wrokspace 3dc_workspace" 3dcoat doesn't see it.

I'm also mailing this to support, but for maximum visibility I'm putting it here as well. All my custom hotkeys are gone, so it's really slowing down my work.

edit: out-of-office reply from Andrew.

edit: beta15 has the same issue, it doesn't see my workspace files and the box at the bottom says '3dc_wrokspace 3dc_workspace'.

This may sound crazy, but, the latest v4 beta causes my comp to emit a super low hissing-ish sound whenever I move the cursor around the 3dc UI ... It isn't coming from the speakers, its coming from the actual computer. o_O lol

• Reputable Contributor

This may sound crazy, but, the latest v4 beta causes my comp to emit a super low hissing-ish sound whenever I move the cursor around the 3dc UI ... It isn't coming from the speakers, its coming from the actual computer. o_O lol

That's either one of your hard drives spinning up or a cooling fan (temp sensor) on your CPU or Graphics Card. Hard to tell. Doesn't happen here. Sounds like your Graphics card fan

• Reputable Contributor

A new user pointed out that the Ambient light control isn't doing anything. I tried it myself and found the same thing.

I can confirm that it doesn't appear to work unless you have Shadows enabled. Once you turn shadows on, it works perfectly fine. I don't know if that is one of those hidden changes Andrew makes or not.

• Reputable Contributor

The hissing sound could be the monitor too. Mine always makes an annoying buzzing sound whenever I surf the Digital Photography Review website.

I don't think any app can be blamed for hardware overheating or noises. If the hardware is not able to handle a steady CPU or GPU load, then it's not Andrew's fault.

I don't think any app can be blamed for hardware overheating or noises. If the hardware is not able to handle a steady CPU or GPU load, then it's not Andrew's fault.

Well, 3D Coat is the only app that it happens with. And my hardware is way more than sufficient to handle 3D Coat. i7 3770k, 560ti, 32gb ram. My temps never go above 45, average is 38ish.

• Advanced Member

I remember trying the demo of 3dCoat a couple of years ago,it was unusable because it made my power supply squeal for some reason! So I gave up on Coat for a bit . But gradually it would start to squeal with other programs.So I eventually decided that the power supply was on the way out so I got a new one which now works with Coat without squealing at me ! But when Coat has to do anything that needs a lot of brain power the fans do kick in a bit. Then my processor fan developed a crack on one of the blades so that as it went faster it started to hit its own casing....it took me ages to figure that one out! By the end it sounded like a playing card in a bike wheel....but louder!

I had a hissing monitor also, I am using it as my second one ,it was a bit distracting,but it turned out that the volume on its speakers were turned up to full but with no input to them.

I thought the ambient light only worked on certain shaders anyway? Like the light position does not work on certain shaders. I use the Pic Mat Clay shaders and the only thing that has ever worked for me was the intensity of the light. I think I only tried shadows maybe once or twice, maybe I will have another look at that.

• Reputable Contributor

Well, 3D Coat is the only app that it happens with. And my hardware is way more than sufficient to handle 3D Coat. i7 3770k, 560ti, 32gb ram. My temps never go above 45, average is 38ish.

It does not matter whether it only happens with 3D Coat or not. The application has no way to make hardware sounds or make PC parts overheat. It can only put a load on the CPU or GPU. That's it. If your hardware makes a noise when it's under a load, then again...it's not the developer's fault/responsibility. We fuss if 3D Coat doesn't fully use our hardware and now we fuss when it does. With that being the case, how in the world can Andrew keep his sanity? Edited by AbnRanger

• Advanced Member

The hissing sound in electronic devices usually happens with transistors or their radiators after few years of using that device. When they work in idle mode they are silent but when you start to load them with high power they start to produce noise. I had such problem with my old CRT monitor few years ago. And that was common issue with early CRT TV sets.

• Advanced Member

I completely agree. In the case of DPR, it's the small blocks of white on a mostly black / dark gray background that causes buzzing, probably stemming from how refresh rates and liquid crystal technology in general interact. My thought was this could be the case with 3D Coat if the color scheme had been radically customized to something the monitor didn't like.