3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

'Edit Projections in External Editor' doesn't seem to work right. Any painting done in Photoshop doesn't show up in the 3DC viewport afterwords, but the strange thing is that if you re-project the same model again at a different angle it will show the paint in photoshop as if it was applied. Regular strokes in the viewport work fine though (the layer itself isn't hidden or anything like that).

Hopefully this gets fixed soon so I can try it before my trial runs out, as that feature is the only reason I decided to try 3DCoat again.

• Contributor

This may sound crazy, but, the latest v4 beta causes my comp to emit a super low hissing-ish sound whenever I move the cursor around the 3dc UI ... It isn't coming from the speakers, its coming from the actual computer. o_O lol

I remember a user once complained about the same thing a long time ago, and it was related to the computer speakers. Try turning them off completely and see if that helps.

Also, along the same topic, I used a Wacom Cintiq 22HD for a while and it constantly made a very high-pitched noise when it was on. It was a very quiet noise, but once you clued in on it, it became supremely annoying. I use a 21UX now, and it doesn't have that problem.

• Reputable Contributor

'Edit Projections in External Editor' doesn't seem to work right. Any painting done in Photoshop doesn't show up in the 3DC viewport afterwords, but the strange thing is that if you re-project the same model again at a different angle it will show the paint in photoshop as if it was applied. Regular strokes in the viewport work fine though (the layer itself isn't hidden or anything like that).

Hopefully this gets fixed soon so I can try it before my trial runs out, as that feature is the only reason I decided to try 3DCoat again.

Hard to say exactly what's going on with it, but I do recall one little glitch the last time I was working between the two. Overall it seemed like a pretty good connection between the two.

Here's a video that covers the live connection, to some degree:

Honestly, I am not sure what to tell you guys other than it ONLY happens in 3D Coat, fresh install. No custom anything. And nothing loaded. Blank scene. Speakers unplugged. Also, it only starts after I exit the splash screen. And the sound is definitely originating from within the tower. I am going to install the previous beta (if I can still DL it?) and try that again, because I only noticed this happening in beta 15A.

• Contributor

Sometime ago I received some gentle ribbing for having mentioned a feint scratching noise when I used my Wacom pen in 3DC. Thankfully, it no longer occurs but then the tinnitus I acquired from naval gunfire years ago may just overwhelm it. My suggestion: ignore it and some build in the future will see it disappear. Come to think of it, I may have replaced my MB since then.

I actually have the same issue, I've had it with some builds and not others. In fact, the build v4 beta 14 (and a few other versions below) of 3DC causes my GPU and soundcard to go batsh*t on me when I use the stylus. When I use screen recording software it's very noticeable while watching the videos. This is causing a huge delay in getting training out.

Figured out the problem I was having, it was just a matter of lighting/spec/bump.

Two questions though;

-I've noticed in some areas where the uv shells borders are close to each other that the paint will stop short of going over the seam, is there a way around this? For instance, on the default head model paint the mouth area where the seams are in the texture editor with wires on, some of the point will cross the uvs seam and some areas it wont. http://i.imgur.com/pRgX1nn.jpg

-The other thing I was wondering is why the texture view has large pixelated outlines for all the UV Shells/element/islands? http://i.imgur.com/NsiZ7Vn.jpg

Edited by PolyHertz

• Advanced Member

I don't know if this is related, but I did notice that ONLY 3dcoat (in Linux), caused instability with the OGL drivers and also caused my video card fan to step up in rpm. It also, at one point, caused one of my cpu cores to go up to 100%, even though I wasn't doing anything in 3dcoat. So I would say that 3dcoat definitely stresses your system and if you have any weak points, then they may fail. An audio sound emanating from your motherboard indicates that a component has failed, but it may be failing due to excessive heat, try adding extra cooling fans in your case, near your gpu and memory, to see if that works.

T.

Good to see that I am not the only one with issues linked to 3D Coat...

@Tser: My temps (according to GPU-Z and Speccy) never really go above 45. That was one of the first things I checked when I heard the noise. :P

I will definitely check out other builds and see if the issue persists.

i know this may not be the right place to ask this. I got a new system (windows 8) So I am putting the 3d-coat v4 Beta. The DX didn't run so I not thinking clicked the setup directx Websetup. It is installing the all kinds of SDK's but I realized this might not be the right one for Windows 8. It is hanging while installing, so hopefully I didnt just mess something up. Does the V4 work with windows 8 (it comes with DX11) I am using a Nvidia 660Ti and the GL works fine.

i know this may not be the right place to ask this. I got a new system (windows 8) So I am putting the 3d-coat v4 Beta. The DX didn't run so I not thinking clicked the setup directx Websetup. It is installing the all kinds of SDK's but I realized this might not be the right one for Windows 8. It is hanging while installing, so hopefully I didnt just mess something up. Does the V4 work with windows 8 (it comes with DX11) I am using a Nvidia 660Ti and the GL works fine.

I am on Windows 8 with a 560ti. Other than my noise issue -- which may or may not be a big problem -- I have had no problems thus far. :) I hope you can get your installation issues sorted out!

Edited by Geta-Ve

I am on Windows 8 with a 560ti. Other than my noise issue -- which may or may not be a big problem -- I have had no problems thus far. :) I hope you can get your installation issues sorted out!

I did get it installed, I went to the MS site for the latest version of the same dxsetup for the sdk's it went without a hitch. Do you run the OpenGL or the DX version the installer mentions doing the OpenGL for the 4xx cards so i am guesing those and later.

• Advanced Member

I have a proposition. This goes to to all but mostly to Andrew.

It's about the further development of 3dcoat.

1. Retopo and UV a sculpt.

2. Go to MV baking mode.

Now.

Is this possible to bring the hi res subdividied mesh into vox room/surface mode?

Sculpt on this, no LC or vox please.

Here comes my idea.

Is it possible to rebuild subdivisions from this mesh?

Is it possible to bake displacements and n maps from subdivisions, displaced data?

Such approach can take place in tweak room if the sculpting brushes - tools are mirrored there.

We need the ability to select what subdivision we will export, to be able to bake displ and/or n maps from this subdivision level.

IMO this will give a 2x boost to the whole quality of 3dcoat.

• Advanced Member

Indeed geo_n

I just tried to see this zb like thing from a 3dcoat perspective

I mean, the only common is the ability to re build subdivisions data.

There must be no performance issues. After all, we can import a 5M quad (from subd) mesh in vox/surface without voxelization) and sculpt it.

What I'm saying: Why not to rebuild subd data and bake displ, nmaps, AO, cavity maps this way?

There are more to say but may be out of topic.

For instance, the data, the table, of all these vertices is important.

You may have the idea to import a hires subdivided mesh and its low poly base. Logically you might think that you can rebuild subdivisions from these two meshes. Not that simple though.

Blender can do this internally, in fact it is a nice way to avoid some performance issues. But, trying to import the hi and the low poly meshes from zbrush explodes the mesh. Different tables, description of the vertices, you see.

• Contributor

Have you guys noticed that the real time renderer is broken since V4 something? What I mean by that is that if you have a relatively small model, when you rotate it you won't get a proper feedback from the renderer if Realtime render is turned on. It will always show the last rendered position.

• Contributor

What eludes me is that Paint Room's layer grouping request has been reported in 2010 and since the first report, three years later, Andrew still has not implemented it. Come one Andrew! Please, implement this!!!

• Advanced Member

What eludes me is that Paint Room's layer grouping request has been reported in 2010 and since the first report, three years later, Andrew still has not implemented it. Come one Andrew! Please, implement this!!!

Cut him some slack, he's just one man trying to do all the work by himself and we're lucky we've gotten as much as we have since 2010. He really needs to hire a few more people to help out, but my impression from spending time here is that he really doesn't want to do that. Probably paranoid they'll steal his code or something lol. :)

• Advanced Member

Is there a place to get earlier versions of the beta? 15A has crashed on me twice now and the problem with minimizing and then maximizing it pushes Specularity up to 100% is back. I'd rather have a beta that goes back a couple of versions.

• Contributor

Cut him some slack, he's just one man trying to do all the work by himself and we're lucky we've gotten as much as we have since 2010. He really needs to hire a few more people to help out, but my impression from spending time here is that he really doesn't want to do that. Probably paranoid they'll steal his code or something lol. :)

Okay, @Zed, but three years of Mantis issue's lifespan and not a single comment from Andrew. Maybe groups implementation is not possible? But we can group layers in the VoxTree, right? The interface, the framework, or whatever allows it, no?

If Andrew doesn't enjoy changing the code, why wouldn't he hire an intern or another programmer? I don't think it's about the code stealing. To be honest, I don't have a freaking idea why Andrew chooses to work onhis own on such a large baby of his. He's an awesome and a gifted programmer from what I've seen, but in a time he'll reach a point eventually in which a help will be mandatory. I mean, the bigger the project, the more people are required to be involved in it, because a single person cannot grasp it all by his own, right?

• Reputable Contributor

Okay, @Zed, but three years of Mantis issue's lifespan and not a single comment from Andrew. Maybe groups implementation is not possible? But we can group layers in the VoxTree, right? The interface, the framework, or whatever allows it, no?

If Andrew doesn't enjoy changing the code, why wouldn't he hire an intern or another programmer? I don't think it's about the code stealing. To be honest, I don't have a freaking idea why Andrew chooses to work onhis own on such a large baby of his. He's an awesome and a gifted programmer from what I've seen, but in a time he'll reach a point eventually in which a help will be mandatory. I mean, the bigger the project, the more people are required to be involved in it, because a single person cannot grasp it all by his own, right?

That's the dilemma. The Chicken or Egg question. Hire someone and have to slow down development to train (he doesn't like "babysitting") someone, or do it all yourself and always be somewhat shorthanded. I think he wanted to get V4 out the door before undergoing major, time-consuming, structural changes to the app. So, whether he ever recompiles CUDA and expands the GPU's role in performance or re-working the layer structure, etc...those are things that won't come before the release.

Maybe, if it provides a substantial infusion of development funds, he might well consider additional help after all. I think GPU tech is obviously where this industry is headed, and I hope Andrew can contract a GPU programmer to come in and use the GPU to handle most parallel threading. Maybe update DX or OpenGL to a newer version/standard. C4D is using OpenGL 3. Most games use DX11, while we are still stuck on DX 9...roughly a decade old.

On the CPU front, AMD has publicly stated (over a year ago) they are no longer competing for the high-end, enthusiast market...and that means CPU development has slowed to a snail's pace in the past few years. It will likely stay that way, cause Intel's newest Gen of i7's/i5s are only a modest 10% performance improvement.

Meanwhile, the GPU armsrace is alive and kicking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ge_17Csd6M

Edited by AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew has stated a few times he rather not hire additional programmers (except for Raul and the Max / Linux programmer) because of the headaches. I shied away from running a large painting company myself because I wanted to keep my hands in the work. I could have hired up to 20 painters but then I would have just been bidding on jobs, doing paperwork and solving personnel problems.

This did limit the growth of the company but I was content and happy with it.

Now saying that if the need arose, I would temporarily hired additional good painters... That is my hope that on a need to have basis Andrew would find a few other good programmers that he could use at times to help carry the load and push the software forward in all areas as he has done with Raul.

I been using 3Coat since 2007 and Andrew has stayed small, I see no indications that is going to change in the near future. It is Andrew's business and he has the final say as I am only a user of his software..

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew has stated a few times he rather not hire additional programmers (except for Raul and the Max / Linux programmer) because of the headaches. I shied away from running a large painting company myself because I wanted to keep my hands in the work. I could have hired up to 20 painters but then I would have just been bidding on jobs, doing paperwork and solving personnel problems.

This did limit the growth of the company but I was content and happy with it.

Now saying that if the need arose, I would temporarily hired additional good painters... That is my hope that on a need to have basis Andrew would find a few other good programmers that he could use at times to help carry the load and push the software forward in all areas as he has done with Raul.

I been using 3Coat since 2007 and Andrew has stayed small, I see no indications that is going to change in the near future. It is Andrew's business and he has the final say as I am only a user of his software..

I think we all understand that, but we also understand that one man can only do so much. The biggest danger of it remaining a one-man show is that he'll eventually suffer burn-out, and then go into full Hermit mode, like Fori at pMG Messiah or Steve Worley (FPrime developer)....hiding for years with no hint if anyone is at home or not. Edited by AbnRanger

• Contributor

Or silo.... in fact this reminds me of nevercenter. Two mens job, great progress, lot of contact with customers for 2 versions (iterative buidling).... and....gone.

This is really reminiscent, at least for silo all is not lost, source code has been actively changing last year in the hands of another group of people.

At some point I expect a Silo-like situation, with the necessary involvement of this third party, or Andrew simply selling to another company. I hope I'm wrong if it goes the second way (first way is actually much better than the limbo situation with silo ^^).