3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

I'm running Linux 12.04 Ubuntu, using 3DCoat 4.0.03 non-cuda GL64 bit. So far I have not encountered the same problems as Tser's problem.

I have left the computer for several hours 3DC being left open and returned with no problems...

I always do manual saves not ever having used the auto-save feature.

This does not mean Tser does not have problems just reporting so far, I have not encountered them...

I'm running Fedora core 18 with all the latest updates and drivers, My system is dual Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro 4000 (2GB ram), the first time I encountered this problem with not being able to save I didn't have the auto save on, the second time I had auto save enabled, I also do manual saves and incremental saves, just out of the blue comes this problem with not being able to save, too many open files issue, I cannot believe that its just happening to me or its some unique hardware setup I have, my system is a top end graphics machine specifically designed for this sort of work, Fedora is the standard to which all Linux distributions are modelled. I just get the feeling that either the 3DCoat Linux user base is extremely small or the use of the Linux version of 3DCoat by people is extremely limited. There has never been a time which I have used 3DCoat on a job which I didn't have some kind of annoyingly frustrating problem which should have been picked up long before I ever touched the program. When I use ZBrush I am never confronted with these types of issues, I get in, do my work which may last a week and then get out.

T.

Tser have you tried to chmod 777 3DCoat directory and your saved file? Just try, maybe it can help.

When I use ZBrush I am never confronted with these types of issues

But when you use zbrush under Linux, Wine is managing all file and system I/O, so it's not Zbrush advantage but Wines ;) Try to run 3DCoat 32bit under Wine, it would be running OK in my opinion :P

• Advanced Member

Tser have you tried to chmod 777 3DCoat directory and your saved file? Just try, maybe it can help.

But when you use zbrush under Linux, Wine is managing all file and system I/O, so it's not Zbrush advantage but Wines ;) Try to run 3DCoat 32bit under Wine, it would be running OK in my opinion :P

There is nothing wrong with the permissions of my directories and running 3DCoat under wine would defeat the purpose of using 3DCoat, the only reason I use 3DCoat is because it is a native Linux application, if I was using Windows or OSX I wouldn't bother with 3DCoat due to its issues, I would stick with ZBrush.

T.

running 3DCoat under wine would defeat the purpose of using 3DCoat, the only reason I use 3DCoat is because it is a native Linux application, if I was using Windows or OSX I wouldn't bother with 3DCoat due to its issues, I would stick with ZBrush.

T.

Yeah i know, i was just joking.

Have you tried this solution? http://blog.thecodingmachine.com/content/solving-too-many-open-files-exception-red5-or-any-other-application

Edited by Creator

• Advanced Member

Well, the max number of file descriptors for my system is 4912960, so I don't think this is the problem, since the default number for Ubuntu is 294180,. At the moment I am running 3DCoat and in a terminal, running the command "lsof -p 6396 |wc -l" (6396 is the 3DCoat PID) every so often to see how many opened files 3DCoat reaches before it throws the "Too many files open" error.

T.

• Advanced Member

One thing I have noticed already is that the number of files opened by 3DCoat is steadily increasing, even though I am not using it, it is just siting there in the background, surely this cannot be normal?

• Advanced Member

Edit: (I have 500 open now).

Apparently 3DCoat is continuosly, opening a port (socket), then trying to read from it which it doesn't have permission to do, then instead of closing the port, it opens another port and tries to read from that, and so the cycle continues until 3DCoat has so many files (Ports, sockets) open that it reaches its limit so you cannot save or even read from a file.

T.

• Advanced Member

Edit: (I have 500 open now).

Apparently 3DCoat is continuosly, opening a port (socket), then trying to read from it which it doesn't have permission to do, then instead of closing the port, it opens another port and tries to read from that, and so the cycle continues until 3DCoat has so many files (Ports, sockets) open that it reaches its limit so you cannot save or even read from a file.

T.

I reported this problems, by e-mail.

If you let your 3DCoat open all night long the day after you won't be able to save your file.

Because you would reach the maximum number of opened file by the system ( you can change this number ).

Edited by pixo

• Reputable Contributor

The V4 Manual is slow as frozen molasses, whenever I try to use it...the one from the HELP menu. Anyone else notice this? I mean it takes 20-30sec just to go from one page to the next. If I use the manual from the mainpage, it's ok. It's just the one that is accessed from the app, itself.

As long as there is no Version 5 BETA announced this thread should be kept. Else you can and should ( ! ) post v4 bugs into the official bugtracking system, please.

A big wish for the upcoming version:

I suggest to differ between v4 and a new beta 5. We will get extreme problems to differ between the two versions when posting bugs. I know a lot of professionals among my collegues that never downloaded a v4 beta and waited for the offcial release. This was already a problem with v3.x. They saw the new functions but didn't wanted to update to a "unready version".

I think official updates for v4 bugs should to be annouced and published in individual v4 updates and not while any v5 betas only. This two versions should be seperated in my opinion. Better to have less but real v4 updates, than v5 open betas that gets side effects. I know that sometimes complete systems are overworked in upcoming versions and to support two different apps is not easy. Maybe Andrew has an idea to solve this problem.

Best wishes

Chris

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

The V4 Manual is slow as frozen molasses, whenever I try to use it...the one from the HELP menu. Anyone else notice this? I mean it takes 20-30sec just to go from one page to the next. If I use the manual from the mainpage, it's ok. It's just the one that is accessed from the app, itself.

AbnRanger,

I'm not experiencing the same thing. However, keep in mind that I often don't have the same problems as others, which may be attributed to my computer setup. The manual loads as a PDF on my end. Is this the case on yours?

• Reputable Contributor

That will make a couple of people quite happy. Hopefully some more of the long standing issues will be getting tackled soon.

This was not a request vs bug fixing post of mine. I owned 3DCoat since 2007 (V2) and we are now getting 16 / 32 bit tiff / exr support for materials and mask. I think us who wanted the support can to be happy... :drinks:

It was on my gigantor list that I sent to Andrew, compiled it from my needs and from others. I can easily say that I am happy to read that. I am looking forward to trying it out, should be very good. :)

Tweak UV vertices in Retopo Room is working well ?

here destroy the geometry moving ghosted vertices to anywhere

----------------

And delete one retopo layer group delete faces of another layer

• Contributor

Two questions.

Is there a way to give the preset brushes a own name?

There is a field that i could give the brush his own name, but after reopening 3d coat, i see the original name of that brush and not my custom name.

I love to save incremental, is there a way to change the SHIFT+CRTL+S to only CRTL+S and in the other way for normal saving?

Edited by Malo

I love to save incremental, is there a way to change the SHIFT+CRTL+S to only CRTL+S and in the other way for normal saving?

Hi,

try to first delete the hotkeys by hovering your mouse over the menu item and pressing BACKSPACE. Then press END and assign a new one :)

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks, works.

Now i need only help with the custom name of my brush presets.

right-click on the preset and choose "rename" or double-click on the current name. Same way you can change the layer name anywhere in the application

• Contributor

right-click on the preset and choose "rename" or double-click on the current name. Same way you can change the layer name anywhere in the application

Yes, but if i close 3d coat and open it again, the custom name is gone and the preset brush use the original name again.

I use the LiveClay brush, i modify it, i save it, i rename it into Malo, everything looks OK, i close 3d coat, i open 3d coat, and i see LiveClay instead of Malo in my presets.

Something goes wrong on my side, but what?

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, but if i close 3d coat and open it again, the custom name is gone and the preset brush use the original name again.

I use the LiveClay brush, i modify it, i save it, i rename it into Malo, everything looks OK, i close 3d coat, i open 3d coat, and i see LiveClay instead of Malo in my presets.

Something goes wrong on my side, but what?

That is strange, indeed. Try clicking the little triangle/drop list in the upper right hand of the panel and choose "save preset file." When you leave the app and come back, see if that doesn't store it permanently.