3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

AbnRanger, maybe you can report this on Mantis so that we can +1 it.

Andrew also mentioned that he planned on allowing the option of a text only presets window. I hope to see this soon, as well. Right now, the icons double the vertical space that is needed for each preset.  

By the way, if anyone agrees, that you would like to see the the Toolbar and SHIFT key menus moved to the TOOL OPTIONS panel (so all tool related options are located in one, easy to find, location, and clean up the top portion of the UI), make sure to shoot Andrew an email (support@3d-coat.com). Gonna need some backup on this one :D  It should at least be dockable, so we can move it where we like.

First image is current (with toolbard and Shift Key menus at the top of the UI). The 3rd is the UI after they have been moved to the Tool Options Panel (and some thin dividers between the Room Tabs).

Yes, this way it is much more like Mudbox, which  has optimized UI!

• Contributor

For several versions I've noticed that Show Symmetry Plane will not stay turned off. it's always on when I load a file, but I also notice the plane randomly pops on while I'm working.

Confirmed here too. And all the voxel menu display options are still not saved. Btw is there a point to keep "skip rendering" ? What's the point of making your sculpt not visible ?

Unrelated thing: Who's is the voice on Pilgway's videos in youtube ? I want to thank the guy behind it for the impressive amount of work going into this. I'm guessing it's AbnRanger (space mouse navigation) but I'm not sure.

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, this way it is much more like Mudbox, which  has optimized UI!

AbnRanger, I like that idea as it makes the interface cleaner.

AbnRanger, that looks so much cleaner. I'd love to have that option.

Thanks...I spoke with Andrew yesterday and he said he would look into it, but is wrapped up in trying to improve Auto-Retopo, right now. I told him to make sure to take his time on that, because it's very important to a lot of people. He also said he was going to be traveling for about 2 weeks. Not sure if he plans to drop a build before that or not. Also, Stas mentioned (a few weeks ago) that Raul was supposed to be returning to the Pilgway team, in Kiev, sometime this month.

It's about to get even mo' better for us. :D

• Advanced Member

Thanks...I spoke with Andrew yesterday and he said he would look into it, but is wrapped up in trying to improve Auto-Retopo, right now. I told him to make sure to take his time on that, because it's very important to a lot of people. He also said he was going to be traveling for about 2 weeks. Not sure if he plans to drop a build before that or not. Also, Stas mentioned (a few weeks ago) that Raul was supposed to be returning to the Pilgway team, in Kiev, sometime this month.

It's about to get even mo' better for us. :D

New auto-retopo techniques... big middle finger up at ZRemesher then. And Raul's back, that is good news, for us and him.

Enjoy your travels Andrew, rest well and have fun.

I too like the look of the menu windows AbnRanger, but it doesn't matter if it's not implemented, I can still work with it as is.

• Contributor

This is basically what you do manualy for efficient retopo: put irregular points, those are the only thing that matters, the rest is just filling.

Have you seen this for the retopo !?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OTl_TtAm1o

This Patch-Zone based Retopo  is not bad! The algorithm makes sure all zones are connected as quads so I only have to refine inside the patch, but that also seems to be automatic with decreasing / increasing quad patch density.

I have Loop Flow Control Points and can move these inside the Patch Zones and the position of these Loop Flow Control Points decide where and how the algorithm fills the zone with looped quad structures.

Quite a fearsomely complex Math must be going in that application!  I want one! :DDDD

I was trying to do build before my trip with family to Arkhyz (4-21 August) but was not able, what I done is still too raw and not producet stable enough result. It is really complex task - to improve AUTOPO and it will probably require some time after my return. I will work during trip but not as much a usually.Thanks a lot for great help and testing!

I noticed what was discussed there, I will do that UI changes (but optionally, some peoples like current style).

• Contributor

I was trying to do build before my trip with family to Arkhyz (4-21 August) but was not able, what I done is still too raw and not producet stable enough result. It is really complex task - to improve AUTOPO and it will probably require some time after my return. I will work during trip but not as much a usually.Thanks a lot for great help and testing!

I noticed what was discussed there, I will do that UI changes (but optionally, some peoples like current style).

Have great vacation time!! and I wish you good weather...Dont work too much. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew, could the Linux and Mac versions be updated to 4.0.06A please as it will be awhile before another beta update. There are brush improvements we would like to test as well and for any bug reporting. I have found some bugs but they could be fixed in 4.0.6A.

• Contributor

We need someone to do a few of those "spacing" mockup (I wouldn't mind doing it if I was sure it would be modified btw).

I keep pressing clear selection when wanting to apply changes with the vox room smoother tool for instance.

watch%20spaces.jpg

Andrew needs to agree on UI guidelines somehow to make new tools implementations easier on the user.

Maybe Andrew should consider hiring another developer to take care of these minor UI tweaks. 3DC is at stage where these little issues should have been ironed out by now. Massive changes are not needed. Simple things like naming conventions, consolidating options/attributes into a proper consistent format would make 3DC much more user friendly. 3DC is very deep and powerful, but it lacks the polish of a pro 3D app.

Wow weeeee. These continual newly added features blow me away. I love the new Subdivide and Angular brushes (and Smoother and Lute of course). See my three images below on using Subdivide with Angular. Just so much fun and so useful!   :)

post-14679-0-90600700-1375998073_thumb.j

post-14679-0-19888300-1375998086_thumb.j

post-14679-0-12637200-1375998098_thumb.j

Edited by fneill
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew, something must be wrong with the new pinch in Linux... This does not work at all, a bug maybe. 

Anyway, I love the old pinch, it was great, fantastic for sharping up edges as it pull material toward itself, you just had to create a fast falloff alpha for it...

The new pinch just digs a hole and pushes material up to a sharper ridge on each side... The opposite of pinching...

Please may we have as an option for the new pinch not to displace the surface, as I think this is the cause of what I am getting.

Shown in the pictures

New pinch in first picture, results shown and a horrible mess...

Second picture is old pinch, results shown.

You can see in the picture that I was able to pinch a nice ridge in the bumped up material on one side and pinch together some inverted strokes from another brush on the surface of the mesh..

The strength curve is buggy too. sometimes working, sometimes you can not re-adjust the curve setting.

post-518-0-95606800-1376464719_thumb.png

post-518-0-59617300-1376464762_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Contributor

Andrew, something must be wrong with the new pinch in Linux... This does not work at all, a bug maybe. 

Anyway, I love the old pinch, it was great, fantastic for sharping up edges as it pull material toward itself, you just had to create a fast falloff alpha for it...

The new pinch just digs a hole and pushes material up to a sharper ridge on each side... The opposite of pinching...

Please may we have as an option for the new pinch not to displace the surface, as I think this is the cause of what I am getting.

Shown in the pictures

New pinch in first picture, results shown and a horrible mess...

Second picture is old pinch, results shown.

You can see in the picture that I was able to pinch a nice ridge in the bumped up material on one side and pinch together some inverted strokes from another brush on the surface of the mesh..

The strength curve is buggy too. sometimes working, sometimes you can not re-adjust the curve setting.

This is a bug. New pinch is stellar. To get no displacement just set depth to zero.

But as I can see in your picture problem must be more serious than this....probably somethinbg went wrong in the Linux side of things.

Trust me...you want new pinch.Its exactly like old pinch but better really...you can do what you did in second image no problem.

I experience Issue about strenght curve as well,reported many times but not on mantis.Maybe Andrew missed my comments or is not able to reproduce.