3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

Without a question. More programmers = better software.

I'm still wondering, how such a small team can manage to maintain code of such complicated software.

That's actually quite questionable. There's an old expression, "too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the broth".

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Too many programmers can also = disaster.  MS Office was based on VBA and years ago, I know that you had to use one time and date function in Excel, and a different one to achieve the same thing in Access.  Many examples like this appeared such that it was easy to tell they had different teams working on the programs and it became a pain for one person to know VBA for one and the other.  The point is, consistency becomes harder with more people and can lead to an even more complex situation for bug hunting.  For my part, the only reason I would want Andrew to have someone else on board is to have them as a backup.

I think that a poorly managed project will always fall to pieces when the number of active participants increases.  The key to utilizing the power of numbers is good management and infrastructure.  Not doing something for fear of what may happen if it's executed poorly doesn't strike me as the right attitude to have if we do have confidence in Andrew and the staff that are developing 3D Coat.

• Advanced Member

+1 Jax_Cavalera. It is kind of sad, that while blender institution hired new developer and they are all squashing lots of bugs in past weeks, in 3dc there were 0 bug fixes and there will be probably new bugs with intoduction of autoretopo. I expected bit more stability from paid software.

• Like 1

You can sculpt this way, using depth maps in the Paint Room, as I mentioned previously. However, if you WANT this kind of fexibility when sculpting in the Voxel Room, you're out of luck...currently. THIS is one reason why I keep harping on the need for Andrew to tune out requests for things 3D Coat was never designed/intended to do....such as bone rigging. It's out of 3D Coat's element. Would it be cool? Maybe. So might a hair and fur system...but again, this is getting away from 3D Coat's mission. To model/sculpt and texture paint.

Agreed. Adding rigging or other such features won't sell more licenses of 3DC. I think 3DC needs to stick to sculpting/painting. Within that feature set, there is still a lot of room for improvement. One area that 3DC can outshine ZBrush in, is in the UI. One reason I also use Cinema 4D is because it's very (artist) user friendly. Anyone with little technical 3D knowledge can jump into C4D very quickly. 3DC can capture that space in the sculpting/painting app market. 3DC is so close to getting there already.  

all remains in the code lines

if 3DC design is modular... to add new team developers to expand areas its easy

if not... if the design is not modular and every change in one code line affect all the structure... well... its complicated.

we need the sdk.

we need a better angelscript implementation

we need phyton.

+1 Jax_Cavalera. It is kind of sad, that while blender institution hired new developer and they are all squashing lots of bugs in past weeks, in 3dc there were 0 bug fixes and there will be probably new bugs with intoduction of autoretopo. I expected bit more stability from paid software.

How do you know there were no bugs fixed?

Updated to 4.0.07 [bETA!]

Changes:

1) Essentially updated quadrangulation.

- quads only in very most cases

- adaptive density, much better features capturing (like fingers)

- users strokes will create exact edges if tangent post-smoothing is turned off

- hardsurface retopology. But it is a bit experimental.

- good symmetry support. Symmetry improves quality drastically.

- no more spirals. Edgeloops are created in almost all cases.

2) Clone/Cut&Clone problem fixed (reported by philnolan)

To be honest it was very very hard to do all this. Sometimes I felt - why I started this and does it really worth so huge efforts? But dropping at the middle is not for me. I was silent on forums, but it was time of very hard work, during vacation too. I was never working so hard like now even if my twitter was a bit silent. I had a lot of support requests too, so it was far not easy time especially due to I was not able to upload something there for so long time. Also I had personal issues - my 92 years grandma that was living with us died.

The quadrangulation definitely improved greatly, but I still feel no stability. Sometimes it produces very good result but next time on same model - not as good. Still need to work over it. I feel that other areas of 3D-Coat require my attention too. And I understand if someone frustrated due to lack of big progress in paint room. But please understand me too. This session was not easy to me.

• Like 3

TY !

Pixologic take 2 years to develop a new autoretopology system

And they have a team of 25 dev working full time

you are only one

man... you do a LOT of work... ty for your effort

may be... to publish the new v4 SDK will help ?

-------------------------------

Support for you and your family

• Like 1

• Contributor

Updated to 4.0.07 [bETA!]Changes:1) Essentially updated quadrangulation.- quads only in very most cases- adaptive density, much better features capturing (like fingers)- users strokes will create exact edges if tangent post-smoothing is turned off- hardsurface retopology. But it is a bit experimental.- good symmetry support. Symmetry improves quality drastically.- no more spirals. Edgeloops are created in almost all cases.2) Clone/Cut&Clone problem fixed (reported by philnolan)To be honest it was very very hard to do all this. Sometimes I felt - why I started this and does it really worth so huge efforts? But dropping at the middle is not for me. I was silent on forums, but it was time of very hard work, during vacation too. I was never working so hard like now even if my twitter was a bit silent. I had a lot of support requests too, so it was far not easy time especially due to I was not able to upload something there for so long time. Also I had personal issues - my 92 years grandma that was living with us died.The quadrangulation definitely improved greatly, but I still feel no stability. Sometimes it produces very good result but next time on same model - not as good. Still need to work over it. I feel that other areas of 3D-Coat require my attention too. And I understand if someone frustrated due to lack of big progress in paint room. But please understand me too. This session was not easy to me.

I'm kinda private person (I don't like talking about personal stuff like that on the Internet as meaning is lost) but my condolences, I lost my last grandparent a few weeks ago too. Take care.

• Reputable Contributor

Updated to 4.0.07 [bETA!]

Changes:

1) Essentially updated quadrangulation.

- quads only in very most cases

- adaptive density, much better features capturing (like fingers)

- users strokes will create exact edges if tangent post-smoothing is turned off

- hardsurface retopology. But it is a bit experimental.

- good symmetry support. Symmetry improves quality drastically.

- no more spirals. Edgeloops are created in almost all cases.

2) Clone/Cut&Clone problem fixed (reported by philnolan)

To be honest it was very very hard to do all this. Sometimes I felt - why I started this and does it really worth so huge efforts? But dropping at the middle is not for me. I was silent on forums, but it was time of very hard work, during vacation too. I was never working so hard like now even if my twitter was a bit silent. I had a lot of support requests too, so it was far not easy time especially due to I was not able to upload something there for so long time. Also I had personal issues - my 92 years grandma that was living with us died.

The quadrangulation definitely improved greatly, but I still feel no stability. Sometimes it produces very good result but next time on same model - not as good. Still need to work over it. I feel that other areas of 3D-Coat require my attention too. And I understand if someone frustrated due to lack of big progress in paint room. But please understand me too. This session was not easy to me.

Thanks a bunch for the update, Andrew...and all the hard work involved in it. I don't think anyone was trying to rush...probably just thought the images of the progress, on Twitter, meant that a build was imminent. By the way, sorry to hear about your Grandma. Lost two grandparents a few years back, so I understand the loss.

Total noob user here,  I have to say Andrew,  your work - and your community for that matter is outstanding,   and very appreciated. I'm an Iclone user - still new to animation and learning the ropes. 

this is my first real attempt at character modeling,  if this doesn't speak for your work I don't know what will....I took 2 days to review your tuts and forum posts and this is what i made from it....so an honest heart felt thank you and the Iclone community would love nothing more than to have you and the 3Dcoat community there with us! 

sgtcrusher_zps73003d1a.jpg

Congratulations on getting the release completed and pushing through the tougher times.  The work you do is greatly appreciated by all of your users and I'm sure that we all would love to help ease this burden when times are tough if we can.  Thank you for the new release and for the work you have been doing on the EPS content, I was not aware that things had become so intense in your personal arena and am glad that you have taken on board a positive attitude.  Keep up the great work and I hope that you never have to feel like your community are not here to support you if you ever ask for our help.

I'm not exactly sure where the bug is yet but same problem here, it doesn't like to retopo a mesh that has any self intersections from sculptris.  It produces invisible or no retopology and did not allow me to scale up the ref mesh prior to retopo.  Looks to be that the fix for self intersections on sculptris meshes is not working as it keeps saying I need to fix them after I use the remove self intersections command.

Hmm if it happens consistently with a few other meshes I'll put in an official bug report that identifies this as a specific action = reaction every time problem.

• Contributor

Thank you for the new update Andrew! Of course we always appreciate all the work you have done for us!

I probably won't have time this week to download and test out the new build, but I am really looking forward to trying it out!

Also very sorry to hear about your grandma. My condolences!

• Advanced Member

Thank you for the work you're putting into the new autoretopology, and I am sorry for your loss Andrew.

It is nice to know though that people in many parts of the world still live in multi-generational households. With children under foot and grand parents under the same roof the circle of life must seem much more complete, and everyone must have a greater appreciation for how interdependent we all are.

It is a life experience with all its ups and downs sorely lacking in my culture at the moment. So while I feel for your loss Andrew, it also brings warmth to my heart to know that people still live as we should- together. From birth through to death.

Thank you once again for all the hard work you've done Andrew, and during such a trying time. You must have a wonderfully supportive family to have such strength in such trying times.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

30k polygon attempt

http://i.imgur.com/EoZMMFZ.jpg

Also, 6A allowed for a higher poly count. Apparently this limits you to 99,999 while version 6A was giving me 10 min renders at 120,000 polys that were good.

This isn't quite ready for prime time but we're patient. This is a tough topological-programming nut to crack and nobody else has done it yet, so....we shall be very patient.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Reputable Contributor

It did a decent job on a helmet shell, with just default settings....no strokes. However, for some reason, it is offsetting the mesh away from the voxel object. It still occurs even after I choose To Global Space on the Object layer in the Voxel room.

• Advanced Member

If autoretopo produces wrong result, please drop me objects and short description what is wrong.

Pay attention that attempt to use hardsurface retopology over soft mesh will produce bad result.

Hardsurface retopo intended to capture really sharp edges between polygons.

Admittedly this is an insane  mesh from a mathematical POV, worse than the Utah Teapot by many orders of magnitude.

I didn't go for a hard edge on this one, I just tried it according to the same parameters I'd  used yesterday with a lot of success in 6A (120k polygons).

http://i.imgur.com/M6DNrls.jpg

99,999 polygons with an auto density multiplier of 1.2x

I tried that several times and got only 0%(Not Responding). It just hangs like that with "Creating Mesh" annunciator in the main screen.

Of course, I may be misunderstanding the settings here; this is an entirely new interface for autopo..

Edited by L'Ancien Regime