3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

My result was pretty impressive although I did have the same problem as Don, just less extreme. The retopo mesh was created offset from the original.

09.14.2013-02.48.png

Edit: for this attempt I tried using Guides and it made a mess. I don't think it followed them at all.

09.14.2013-03.24.png

Also I had personal issues - my 92 years grandma that was living with us died.

My condolances on your loss. Hopefully she went peacefully and without pain, and those that she cared about most were all by her side for her passing.

I have a 96 year old Grandma who lives with an uncle, and since she's close enough I go to see her at least once a week. Unfortunately she has dimentia along with many health issues, so will often forget what people tell her within seconds or minutes of it being said and is in constant pain despite a great deal of medication. It probably wont be long before she passes, but at the very least until that happens we'll try and give her a comfortable and peaceful life.

I had a lot of support requests too, so it was far not easy time especially due to I was not able to upload something there for so long time.

I feel that other areas of 3D-Coat require my attention too. And I understand if someone frustrated due to lack of big progress in paint room. But please understand me too. This session was not easy to me.

It is frustrating, on both ends I'm sure.

The Mantis system has slowed to a crawl recently because, for good or bad, people have mostly given up on getting issues posted there resolved for the time being. I've personally submitted or thrown my support behind 40+ Mantis reports, basically all of which are related to the Paint room in some way. I'll be starting a new job very soon and would really like to use 3DC in production, and it looks like I may be in a position to get several licenses if I can prove its usefulness, but I also know that right now I'd be shot down in an instant if I tried because the limitations are too significant and blatantly obvious.

I understand where you're coming from, you're only one person and can only do so much, but given how long (years) some of these paint requests have been in Mantis it's hard to stay sympathetic to your plight and positive about the future of 3DC. The thing that keeps me coming back is the fact that I love much of what's already there, and am excited by the prospect of improvements to the Paint room supposedly being the next step in the 3DC roadmap.

This is a tough topological-programming nut to crack and nobody else has done it yet

Not to downplay what Andrew has accomplished, but Tomas (aka. Dr. Peter , the creator of Sculptris) actually has , though since he works for Pixologic now only ZBrush ended up with it. Say what you want about Pixologic, but I can say from my time on the Sculptris beta that Dr.Peter is brilliant.

• Reputable Contributor

My condolances on your loss. Hopefully she went peacefully and without pain, and those that she cared about most were all by her side for her passing.

I have a 96 year old Grandma who lives with an uncle, and since she's close enough I go to see her at least once a week. Unfortunately she has dimentia along with many health issues, so will often forget what people tell her within seconds or minutes of it being said and is in constant pain despite a great deal of medication. It probably wont be long before she passes, but at the very least until that happens we'll try and give her a comfortable and peaceful life.

It is frustrating, on both ends I'm sure.

The Mantis system has slowed to a crawl recently because, for good or bad, people have mostly given up on getting issues posted there resolved for the time being. I've personally submitted or thrown my support behind 40+ Mantis reports, basically all of which are related to the Paint room in some way. I'll be starting a new job very soon and would really like to use 3DC in production, and it looks like I may be in a position to get several licenses if I can prove its usefulness, but I also know that right now I'd be shot down in an instant if I tried because the limitations are too significant and blatantly obvious.

I understand where you're coming from, you're only one person and can only do so much, but given how long (years) some of these paint requests have been in Mantis it's hard to stay sympathetic to your plight and positive about the future of 3DC. The thing that keeps me coming back is the fact that I love much of what's already there, and am excited by the prospect of improvements to the Paint room supposedly being the next step in the 3DC roadmap.

Not to downplay what Andrew has accomplished, but Tomas (aka. Dr. Peter , the creator of Sculptris) actually has , though since he works for Pixologic now only ZBrush ended up with it. Say what you want about Pixologic, but I can say from my time on the Sculptris beta that Dr.Peter is brilliant.

tumblr_mhceqo702i1s4arevo1_400.jpg

The reality of the matter is there isn't an app outside of Mari that has a more complete Texture Painting toolset....so, if your folks want to drop $2k + yearly maintenance per seat (on Mari), go for the gusto. :D Andrew said he was going to look into the Paint Room soon. I agree with most of your requests and I've made similar ones beforehand, but that doesn't mean there is the huge gap in the toolset or it's broken somehow, because you haven't gotten to see them implemented yet. I've had files with dozens of layers, and never felt 3D Coat was unusable because it didn't yet have layer groups. It has layer masking, and it works well. Is it as elegant as it could be? No. But in the mean time, I'll just rely on naming my layers effectively.

Andrew has added some features here and there, in the Paint Room (Magic Wand, Pencil, some PS sync improvements, etc.), in the past year or so...so, it's not like it's been completely abandoned. He just has to weigh the merits of each request on the basis of how much development time it will take and just how important it is to get it done. I harped on Performance for a long while, and that went largely ignored. After I upgraded a little bit to an Intel CPU, I see why. Cause on an Intel (i7) there is a big performance boost over an AMD CPU.

Turns out, we have Intel to thank for that bottleneck, cause all the multi-threading in 3D Coat is based on Intel's TBB library. That library doesn't "work as well" ;).....with AMD CPU's. At any rate, Andrew wasn't seeing the issues I was, and thus he's not going to invest a ton of time in features that offer only modest benefits, when he has bigger fish to fry.

Coming back to the layers. It's going to take a lot of development time, cause he likely has to dig down deep to change the whole layer structure. If he has other areas that have bigger needs and is easier to implement, guess which one is going to get done first?

Edited by AbnRanger

Hello

Just to clarify

This post: named

V4 BETA (experimental)

Its used to talk about test done using the

V4 BETA (experimental)

and HELP the development

If any1, if all the users like to talk about 3DC development, present past and future... please be gentle and open another post

please

ty

trainn.jpg

• Contributor

Just a small remark Carlosan, while I agree a lot of discussions are somehow off topic, if you want to lock this thread to be only about new build, then prepare for a lot of work, and before even that becomes a problem:

You'll kill the community (just look at where the dialog with Andrew is at).

Back to the thread:

Im very happy with the result

Just doing fast tests, but overall i found retopo ok

1st: no more edge loops, thats great ! :D

Better result so far i get using decimate -voxel option is more chaotic-

i just finished 8 humanoids models ready to retopo, this auto routine help a LOT

TY !

Beat

i dont want to kill and i dont want to lock.

Some users are more temperamental, some user "trolling"... but all have rights to express opinions... respecting and tolerating the others users opinions.

But...

i was reading -in the overall- very few post talking about test done using the new builds

Mudbox yaadayaada, ZBrush yaadayaada, Blender yaadayaada, Sculptris yaadayaada... <_<

Is too much to ask the community to please, focus in the new build, respect the Andrew develop effort, find bugs and improvements and be gentle posting their own point of view ?

I think is not to much... we just need to change the mentality about what we share here to use a better software. ;)

Ty for your reply :)

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Beat

i dont want to kill and i dont want to lock.

Some users are more temperamental, some user "trolling"... but all have rights to express opinions... respecting and tolerating the others users opinions.

But...

i was reading -in the overall- very few post talking about test done using the new builds

Mudbox yaadayaada, ZBrush yaadayaada, Blender yaadayaada, Sculptris yaadayaada... <_<

Is too much to ask the community to please, focus in the new build, respect the Andrew develop effort, find bugs and improvements and be gentle posting their own point of view ?

I think is not to much... we just need to change the mentality about what we share here to use a better software. ;)

Ty for your reply :)

The conversation is centered around what is currently being worked on, in Beta, and then conjecture about what is next on deck. It's all tied together.

Ranger, this is clear

let me say again:

we need more test

we need more sharing results

beta users have the chance to use experimental release to do more and more and more test, trying to find bugs and adding new suggestions to improve the software

Just back pages and count how many post were used to share test results

You can see, all can see:

few

• Reputable Contributor

Ranger, this is clear

let me say again:

we need more test

we need more sharing results

beta users have the chance to use experimental release to do more and more and more test, trying to find bugs and adding new suggestions to improve the software

Just back pages and count how many post were used to share test results

You can see, all can see:

few

I've already posted the issues I ran into. Even sent Andrew an e-mail and uploaded the workfile. Some of us are just waiting to see if these issues get ironed out before posting more.

• Advanced Member

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for sharing the new build.  I too have experienced mixed results in my limited testing, getting good results in the more typical humanoid sculpt, but then getting strange results with a more complicated mesh with many holes punched in it.  However, I can see that a lot of work has been done...and I think that the real work starts now that you've released a build.  Hopefully we'll be able to provide valuable feedback to help get the retopo algorithm rock solid, stable and predictable.

I wonder you can describe what the algorithm is aiming to do, that way we can let you know if it's succeeding in doing what it's supposed to and whether or not the aim should be for something else.

Thanks Andrew!

And of course my condolences.

To be honest it was very very hard to do all this. Sometimes I felt - why I started this and does it really worth so huge efforts? 

Andrew, for every person here who rides you regarding progress, requests, comparisons, there are many more of us who sit silently working away with this incredible set of tools that is the result of the intellect and skills that you have committed to this project. Our lives benefit and in turn the art made in 3D-Coat spreads far beyond the bubble that is the world of the programmer. Your influence while unseen or appreciated by the majority, is felt and seen around the entire planet. You may not be a famous author or a recognized celebrity, but to those who truly understand what you are pulling out of your head and sharing with us, we get it and to us you are that famous guy, our version of a star. Somewhere at some random time a kid will see a digital sculpture and his or her world will change, they will long to learn how something hard is done, they themselves might take on the struggle to master tools that are difficult and in turn inspire someone else. It is you more than all of us on the sideline that is producing a tool that has engaged so many here in dialogue, who too want to be great via your software that is allowing us to share and inspire others. I hope you never lose sight of the bigger picture and please do not get bogged down with the small stuff. Thank you for all you do.

Edited by unity2k
  • Like 5

• Advanced Member

Andrew, for every person here who rides you regarding progress, requests, comparisons, there are many more of us who sit silently working away with this incredible set of tools that is the result of the intellect and skills that you have committed to this project. Our lives benefit and in turn the art made in 3D-Coat spreads far beyond the bubble that is the world of the programmer. Your influence while unseen or appreciated by the majority, is felt and seen around the entire planet. You may not be a famous author or a recognized celebrity, but to those who truly understand what you are pulling out of your head and sharing with us, we get it and to us you are that famous guy, our version of a star. Somewhere at some random time a kid will see a digital sculpture and his or her world will change, they will long to learn how something hard is done, they themselves might take on the struggle to master tools that are difficult and in turn inspire someone else. It is you more than all of us on the sideline that is producing a tool that has engaged so many here in dialogue, who too want to be great via your software that is allowing us to share and inspire others. I hope you never lose sight of the bigger picture and please do not get bogged down with the small stuff. Thank you for all you do.

Amen brother!

if your folks want to drop $2k + yearly maintenance per seat (on Mari), go for the gusto. :D

Hah! Yea that price is a killer. I've tried Mari, it's very good in a lot of ways, but it's not quite a Photoshop replacement yet. And at that price it better be.

Andrew has added some features here and there, in the Paint Room (Magic Wand, Pencil, some PS sync improvements, etc.), in the past year or so...so, it's not like it's been completely abandoned.

Yes, the Pencil tool was a very welcome addition! I've used it for a number of things since its implementation. :)

And of course am thankful for any and all improvements made for syncing with Photoshop.

Coming back to the layers. It's going to take a lot of development time, cause he likely has to dig down deep to change the whole layer structure. If he has other areas that have bigger needs and is easier to implement, guess which one is going to get done first?

The problem is, what defines "bigger needs"? Obviously it's not the number of user requests on Mantis otherwise layer groups (again, the most requested feature on Mantis) would have been implemented long ago. As for doing what's easiest, I'm not really convinced Andrew cares much about that.

Edited by PolyHertz

I think that the the areas in need of most development are often the areas that Andrew calculates will boost the community the most in both number of users and quality of products being produced by these users.  (if I had to take a wild stab in the dark this would be the thing that drives me if it weren't a direct translation of most popular as voted by the existing community)

• Reputable Contributor

Hah! Yea that price is a killer. I've tried Mari, it's very good in a lot of ways, but it's not quite a Photoshop replacement yet. And at that price it better be.

Yes, the Pencil tool was a very welcome addition! I've used it for a number of things since its implementation. :)

And of course am thankful for any and all improvements made for syncing with Photoshop.

The problem is, what defines "bigger needs"? Obviously it's not the number of user requests on Mantis otherwise layer groups (again, the most requested feature on Mantis) would have been implemented long ago. As for doing what's easiest, I'm not really convinced Andrew cares much about that.

He does, actually. He can usually knock out a dozen new features that aren't too complicated, as opposed to one or two that takes a ton of restructuring.

• Advanced Member

+1, What he said.

• Reputable Contributor

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for sharing the new build.  I too have experienced mixed results in my limited testing, getting good results in the more typical humanoid sculpt, but then getting strange results with a more complicated mesh with many holes punched in it.  However, I can see that a lot of work has been done...and I think that the real work starts now that you've released a build.  Hopefully we'll be able to provide valuable feedback to help get the retopo algorithm rock solid, stable and predictable.

I wonder you can describe what the algorithm is aiming to do, that way we can let you know if it's succeeding in doing what it's supposed to and whether or not the aim should be for something else.

Thanks Andrew!

And of course my condolences.

Yeah...I get mixed results, too. The Humanoid came out fine, but as soon as I use a previous model, Autopo wigs out.

http://www.screencast.com/t/iIamAK9nV

Has anyone tried to use Autopo or Strokes with things like a Vest or T-Shirt or a Hat?  I've found it is producing some unpredictable results where it creates multiple retopo meshes all inside eachother, it could just be a wrong setting I'm not sure.. it looks like Autopo and Strokes are only good for solid objects and not ones that have an outside and inside surface to them such as a vest.

The retopo mesh was created offset from the original

confirmed -not always, but yes with an old head model, like example-

Autopo and Strokes are only good for solid objects

Confirmed, same result here

The Humanoid came out fine

Confirmed with an own model stand in perfect T-Pose

If the arm or legs are straight, everything is ok

But using another model... a werewolf with flexed legs, the loops messed the direction... some is wrong with angles -i suppose-

*idea* i will try to test autoretopo making torus and trees later

The chest

Edges are not following the muscle direction

And the articulation need more density

adding some pic examples:

Left spectated, right result.

Hey folks!!

I propose to gather 5 diverse kinds of models for testing new automatic features.
For ex. Humanoid figure, hardsurface object, some nonvoxelized meshes with intersections etc.

If algorithm can't pass one of this, it needs calibration. It will determinate in which point it is failing.
This 5 mesh pack would be standard testing ground for Andrew (and community).
It can be more meshes of course, we only need to think what kind of meshes to add to this "benchmark" pack.