3D Coat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

Total noob user here,  I have to say Andrew,  your work - and your community for that matter is outstanding,   and very appreciated. I'm an Iclone user - still new to animation and learning the ropes. 

this is my first real attempt at character modeling,  if this doesn't speak for your work I don't know what will....I took 2 days to review your tuts and forum posts and this is what i made from it....so an honest heart felt thank you and the Iclone community would love nothing more than to have you and the 3Dcoat community there with us! 

sgtcrusher_zps73003d1a.jpg

At 92, she must have been very happy with your development in a part of the world where so much grief has transpired.

Congratulations on getting the release completed and pushing through the tougher times.  The work you do is greatly appreciated by all of your users and I'm sure that we all would love to help ease this burden when times are tough if we can.  Thank you for the new release and for the work you have been doing on the EPS content, I was not aware that things had become so intense in your personal arena and am glad that you have taken on board a positive attitude.  Keep up the great work and I hope that you never have to feel like your community are not here to support you if you ever ask for our help.

I'm not exactly sure where the bug is yet but same problem here, it doesn't like to retopo a mesh that has any self intersections from sculptris.  It produces invisible or no retopology and did not allow me to scale up the ref mesh prior to retopo.  Looks to be that the fix for self intersections on sculptris meshes is not working as it keeps saying I need to fix them after I use the remove self intersections command.

Hmm if it happens consistently with a few other meshes I'll put in an official bug report that identifies this as a specific action = reaction every time problem.

Wow, V4_0-07 IS HERE!!! 

I offer you my sincere sympathy Andrew..

This was a difficult task and I'm sure you'll wrestle all its problems to the ground.

Thank you.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

Thank you for the new update Andrew! Of course we always appreciate all the work you have done for us!

I probably won't have time this week to download and test out the new build, but I am really looking forward to trying it out!

Also very sorry to hear about your grandma. My condolences!

Thank you for the work you're putting into the new autoretopology, and I am sorry for your loss Andrew.

It is nice to know though that people in many parts of the world still live in multi-generational households. With children under foot and grand parents under the same roof the circle of life must seem much more complete, and everyone must have a greater appreciation for how interdependent we all are.

It is a life experience with all its ups and downs sorely lacking in my culture at the moment. So while I feel for your loss Andrew, it also brings warmth to my heart to know that people still live as we should- together. From birth through to death.

Thank you once again for all the hard work you've done Andrew, and during such a trying time. You must have a wonderfully supportive family to have such strength in such trying times.

• Like 1

30k polygon attempt

http://i.imgur.com/EoZMMFZ.jpg

Also, 6A allowed for a higher poly count. Apparently this limits you to 99,999 while version 6A was giving me 10 min renders at 120,000 polys that were good.

This isn't quite ready for prime time but we're patient. This is a tough topological-programming nut to crack and nobody else has done it yet, so....we shall be very patient.

It did a decent job on a helmet shell, with just default settings....no strokes. However, for some reason, it is offsetting the mesh away from the voxel object. It still occurs even after I choose To Global Space on the Object layer in the Voxel room.

If autoretopo produces wrong result, please drop me objects and short description what is wrong.

Pay attention that attempt to use hardsurface retopology over soft mesh will produce bad result.

Hardsurface retopo intended to capture really sharp edges between polygons.

If autoretopo produces wrong result, please drop me objects and short description what is wrong.

Pay attention that attempt to use hardsurface retopology over soft mesh will produce bad result.

Hardsurface retopo intended to capture really sharp edges between polygons.

Admittedly this is an insane  mesh from a mathematical POV, worse than the Utah Teapot by many orders of magnitude.

I didn't go for a hard edge on this one, I just tried it according to the same parameters I'd  used yesterday with a lot of success in 6A (120k polygons).

http://i.imgur.com/M6DNrls.jpg

99,999 polygons with an auto density multiplier of 1.2x

I tried that several times and got only 0%(Not Responding). It just hangs like that with "Creating Mesh" annunciator in the main screen.

Of course, I may be misunderstanding the settings here; this is an entirely new interface for autopo..

My result was pretty impressive although I did have the same problem as Don, just less extreme. The retopo mesh was created offset from the original.

09.14.2013-02.48.png

Edit: for this attempt I tried using Guides and it made a mess. I don't think it followed them at all.

09.14.2013-03.24.png

Now that the tech is out.

I can ask those who used it: where does it fit in the pipeline ?

I'm just asking to let you think about it, I'll explain why this questions in a few days, I don't want to jump on Andrew's work in such difficult time.

Also I had personal issues - my 92 years grandma that was living with us died.

My condolances on your loss. Hopefully she went peacefully and without pain, and those that she cared about most were all by her side for her passing.

I have a 96 year old Grandma who lives with an uncle, and since she's close enough I go to see her at least once a week. Unfortunately she has dimentia along with many health issues, so will often forget what people tell her within seconds or minutes of it being said and is in constant pain despite a great deal of medication. It probably wont be long before she passes, but at the very least until that happens we'll try and give her a comfortable and peaceful life.

I had a lot of support requests too, so it was far not easy time especially due to I was not able to upload something there for so long time.

I feel that other areas of 3D-Coat require my attention too. And I understand if someone frustrated due to lack of big progress in paint room. But please understand me too. This session was not easy to me.

It is frustrating, on both ends I'm sure.

The Mantis system has slowed to a crawl recently because, for good or bad, people have mostly given up on getting issues posted there resolved for the time being. I've personally submitted or thrown my support behind 40+ Mantis reports, basically all of which are related to the Paint room in some way. I'll be starting a new job very soon and would really like to use 3DC in production, and it looks like I may be in a position to get several licenses if I can prove its usefulness, but I also know that right now I'd be shot down in an instant if I tried because the limitations are too significant and blatantly obvious.

I understand where you're coming from, you're only one person and can only do so much, but given how long (years) some of these paint requests have been in Mantis it's hard to stay sympathetic to your plight and positive about the future of 3DC. The thing that keeps me coming back is the fact that I love much of what's already there, and am excited by the prospect of improvements to the Paint room supposedly being the next step in the 3DC roadmap.

This is a tough topological-programming nut to crack and nobody else has done it yet

Not to downplay what Andrew has accomplished, but Tomas (aka. Dr. Peter , the creator of Sculptris) actually has , though since he works for Pixologic now only ZBrush ended up with it. Say what you want about Pixologic, but I can say from my time on the Sculptris beta that Dr.Peter is brilliant.

Andrew.
good work.
The line has come out beautifully.
It is a quadrangle polygon altogether.
The guideline is not drawn.
This is a wonderful result.
Thank you.

post-11856-0-14431600-1379147704_thumb.jpost-11856-0-68757700-1379147716_thumb.jpost-11856-0-07069200-1379147730_thumb.jpost-11856-0-91180300-1379147738_thumb.jpost-11856-0-52654800-1379147747_thumb.jpost-11856-0-00048600-1379147756_thumb.j

Edited by hagenomyia
  • Like 1

Thank you for your hard work Andrew. Autopo got a fantastic boost. :clapping:

And please do accept my condolences. :(

My condolances on your loss. Hopefully she went peacefully and without pain, and those that she cared about most were all by her side for her passing.

I have a 96 year old Grandma who lives with an uncle, and since she's close enough I go to see her at least once a week. Unfortunately she has dimentia along with many health issues, so will often forget what people tell her within seconds or minutes of it being said and is in constant pain despite a great deal of medication. It probably wont be long before she passes, but at the very least until that happens we'll try and give her a comfortable and peaceful life.

It is frustrating, on both ends I'm sure.

The Mantis system has slowed to a crawl recently because, for good or bad, people have mostly given up on getting issues posted there resolved for the time being. I've personally submitted or thrown my support behind 40+ Mantis reports, basically all of which are related to the Paint room in some way. I'll be starting a new job very soon and would really like to use 3DC in production, and it looks like I may be in a position to get several licenses if I can prove its usefulness, but I also know that right now I'd be shot down in an instant if I tried because the limitations are too significant and blatantly obvious.

I understand where you're coming from, you're only one person and can only do so much, but given how long (years) some of these paint requests have been in Mantis it's hard to stay sympathetic to your plight and positive about the future of 3DC. The thing that keeps me coming back is the fact that I love much of what's already there, and am excited by the prospect of improvements to the Paint room supposedly being the next step in the 3DC roadmap.

Not to downplay what Andrew has accomplished, but Tomas (aka. Dr. Peter , the creator of Sculptris) actually has , though since he works for Pixologic now only ZBrush ended up with it. Say what you want about Pixologic, but I can say from my time on the Sculptris beta that Dr.Peter is brilliant.

tumblr_mhceqo702i1s4arevo1_400.jpg

The reality of the matter is there isn't an app outside of Mari that has a more complete Texture Painting toolset....so, if your folks want to drop $2k + yearly maintenance per seat (on Mari), go for the gusto. :D Andrew said he was going to look into the Paint Room soon. I agree with most of your requests and I've made similar ones beforehand, but that doesn't mean there is the huge gap in the toolset or it's broken somehow, because you haven't gotten to see them implemented yet. I've had files with dozens of layers, and never felt 3D Coat was unusable because it didn't yet have layer groups. It has layer masking, and it works well. Is it as elegant as it could be? No. But in the mean time, I'll just rely on naming my layers effectively.

Andrew has added some features here and there, in the Paint Room (Magic Wand, Pencil, some PS sync improvements, etc.), in the past year or so...so, it's not like it's been completely abandoned. He just has to weigh the merits of each request on the basis of how much development time it will take and just how important it is to get it done. I harped on Performance for a long while, and that went largely ignored. After I upgraded a little bit to an Intel CPU, I see why. Cause on an Intel (i7) there is a big performance boost over an AMD CPU.

Turns out, we have Intel to thank for that bottleneck, cause all the multi-threading in 3D Coat is based on Intel's TBB library. That library doesn't "work as well" ;).....with AMD CPU's. At any rate, Andrew wasn't seeing the issues I was, and thus he's not going to invest a ton of time in features that offer only modest benefits, when he has bigger fish to fry.

Coming back to the layers. It's going to take a lot of development time, cause he likely has to dig down deep to change the whole layer structure. If he has other areas that have bigger needs and is easier to implement, guess which one is going to get done first?

Edited by AbnRanger

Hello

Just to clarify

This post: named

V4 BETA (experimental)

Its used to talk about test done using the

V4 BETA (experimental)

and HELP the development

If any1, if all the users like to talk about 3DC development, present past and future... please be gentle and open another post

please

ty

trainn.jpg

Just a small remark Carlosan, while I agree a lot of discussions are somehow off topic, if you want to lock this thread to be only about new build, then prepare for a lot of work, and before even that becomes a problem:

You'll kill the community (just look at where the dialog with Andrew is at).

Back to the thread:

Im very happy with the result

Just doing fast tests, but overall i found retopo ok

1st: no more edge loops, thats great ! :D

Better result so far i get using decimate -voxel option is more chaotic-

i just finished 8 humanoids models ready to retopo, this auto routine help a LOT

TY !

Beat

i dont want to kill and i dont want to lock.

Some users are more temperamental, some user "trolling"... but all have rights to express opinions... respecting and tolerating the others users opinions.

But...

i was reading -in the overall- very few post talking about test done using the new builds

Mudbox yaadayaada, ZBrush yaadayaada, Blender yaadayaada, Sculptris yaadayaada... <_<

Is too much to ask the community to please, focus in the new build, respect the Andrew develop effort, find bugs and improvements and be gentle posting their own point of view ?

I think is not to much... we just need to change the mentality about what we share here to use a better software. ;)

Ty for your reply :)

• Like 2