3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

Are you using these sections in the picture of the renderer's settings for your static final rendering. The rays per frame is adjustable.

Yes, I do use 32-bit rendering.

3D Coat uses Rays per frame only when rendering a sequence. For stills this parameter is ignored.

From your statement it seems you were talking about the realtime rendering in the 3D viewport but I could be wrong.

I am talking about both: real-time and standard rendering.

The realtime rendering in the viewport is always updating depending upon what your are doing, moving, changing shaders etc which you know already. I have not noticed any glitches in the realtime renderer in the 3D viewport for the Linux OpenGL version of 3DC so it could be a Windows issue either DX or OpenGL.

I'm using DX CUDA on Win7 64-bit. On my machine rendering in OpenGL versions is even more buggy, so I never use them.

It's hard to explain, but it looks like there are some objects in the scene which somehow break shadows. After loading the scene, there are almost no shadows at all. Surfaces look bland and flat . If I temporarily change shaders of some specific volumes to a random one and back to their original shaders (in my scene these volumes are all parts of the peaked cap), shadows start to render correctly. But, if I then change shaders of some other objects, everything breaks again. I'll try to upload a video to Mantis to show what I mean.

P. S. I mostly use LambLight shaders.

Edited by ajz3d

inside render room... lights position are fixed to display ? or to object scene ? :huh:

//edit

i see the lights attached to display rotation, and they are relatives to display, not attached to the model scene coordinates

if i rotate the display... light rotate too -model dont rotate-

may be is better to have lights fixed to scene coordinates

inside render room... lights position are fixed to display ? or to object scene ? :huh:

I'm sorry, but I don't follow. We can choose between camera-attached or scene-fixed lights? How?

I'm sorry, but I don't follow. We can choose between camera-attached or scene-fixed lights? How?

i see the lights attached to display rotation, and they are relatives to display, not attached to the model scene coordinates

may be is better to have the lights fixed to scene coordinates

Anybody else notice that there is a linear falloff using the stamp (e-panel) draw mode in Surface mode? It is supposed to be RADIAL falloff...not a linear falloff. What's odd is that if you switch to Voxel mode, the same draw mode creates a Radial falloff, correctly. It's only messed up in Surface mode.

I tried deleting the options.xml file and everything I could think of. No good.

may be is better to have the lights fixed to scene coordinates

Ah yes, this is how it works now. I'd prefer to have both options available. There are times when I need the lights to move with camera in order to inspect the surface, but most of the time I need them to be fixed in scene.

Anybody else notice that there is a linear falloff using the stamp (e-panel) draw mode in Surface mode? It is supposed to be RADIAL falloff...not a linear falloff. What's odd is that if you switch to Voxel mode, the same draw mode creates a Radial falloff, correctly. It's only messed up in Surface mode.

I tried deleting the options.xml file and everything I could think of. No good.

I just checked and it's radial for voxels and linear for surface mode. However, if I convert back to voxels, falloff stays linear.

I need to merge a 3B file and apply thickness with "Merge as skin" to a volume it contains. Turns out it's impossible for 3B, but at the same time it works for other file formats! :dash2:

Looks like a bug in Merge tool, because the volume is merged into the scene immediately after I select the file to import.

Is there any workaround for this?

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1333

---

Okay, I kind of found a so so workaround. At least to some volumes. If their poly count isn't too high, exporting them to obj seems to work.

Edited by ajz3d

Does the clone brush work in the texture editor? I have looked to see it in Mantis. It acts very strangely, works fine in the 3d viewport.

Updated to 4.0.11

- Airbrush - like tools will work even if you will paint one dot with them. First touch dot will always appear. It improves painting precission in general.

- Scripting got major update. Look documentation. Generally it allows to do non-destructive modeling with primitives. It is good to create parametric hardsurface stuff. Scripts may be inserted in any top menu section. Paint layers management via script introduced. Extended control over voxel scene allowed.

- To center mass/to bound center will work correctly for empty objects - it will take point from the summ of children.

- Pivot/transform should work correctly with empty parent layers.

- Several mantis problems solved

Mac/Linux builds will be ready today or tomorrow.

• Like 2

- To center mass/to bound center will work correctly for empty objects - it will take point from the summ of children.

Great addition ,very useful..Always wanted to ask for this.

Hey Andrew, any word on when you'll get to Paint layer groups (as something that was mentioned in one of your posts)?

I may not do it right now because it is not small piece of work that may lead to temporary instability.

I intend to do only small & safe changes till 4.1 will be released. Then one of very first things is paint layer groups.

But if I will get good idea of how to do it safely, I may do it soon.

• Like 1

May be is better to begin developing a node tree texture edition, and procedural textures... over paint layer groups

//edit

ok ok dont shoot me :D... was just an idea

Huh...no ?

I mean why get the base stuff done when you can add advanced stuff used by a handful right ?

Agreed. Layer Groups with Layer Masks capability per layer (Photoshop style...with thumbnail) >>>>>> nodes. That can be done by Raul, when/if he starts working on integration of Cycles renderer. Just use their node structure instead of re-inventing the wheel. Problem is, Raul has to go back to Cuba at the end of the month...so that all is a pipe dream at this stage. :D

Agreed AbnRanger.

Off topic but I think it's worth saying:

I tested Toolbag 2 from marmoset, their realtime rendering software is awesome, Imagining something close to that while sculpting could be a good enough reason to never leave 3dc.

Toolbag2.png

@Artman, yes it's the high res, I regret it doesn't support vertex paint (or is it because I didn't find a way to export it from 3Dc, I can't tell). It's 8M, it's a bit laggy to rotate around but it's stable.

• Like 2

@beat:  Is that you hires sculpt in TB 2?how much ^polys can it load?

@Andrew: Andrew would it be hard to add save/load (to file) gizmo position/orientation in Transform tool? That could be really useful to borrow pivot from other objects for transformation.

better realtime rendering and... active when sculpting !?!?!?!?

04302012_BillR_yes_you_can.jpg

First of all, we need sculpting layer like Mudbox.

Just my 2 cent.

Nice Render Beat.

Edited by Malo

First of all, we need sculpting layer like Mudbox.

Just my 2 cent.

Nice Render Beat.

no sure how that would be possible since Liveclay constantly change topology and zb/mudbox layers are basically morph targets using constant vertex order....

I don't know how that could work either, but that would be very helpful when managing microdetail while retaining the possibility to change the underlying surface without breaking said microdetails. Besides the more detail you add, the less easy it becomes to work on dense areas... Layer would allow to keep the flow going :)

I know some may answer "proxy" or "paint room", but I'm not fan of both solution (proxy are unreliable with liveclay and paint room is lost data if you need to change your lower res mesh at some point, baking sculpt isn't).