3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

the ones on the thread are ok,the one in 4.1 update too. (they are both valid and nearly the same I think)

Its just that build 4.1.08B seems to have resurected old presets instead of usual 4.1 presets.

Very crappy bulge preset i made is there along with very old greeble brush based on GeneralBrush that required a strip to work (I made much better version latter, that do not require a strip)

Thank you for clarifying Artman!

Guys, have issues with proxy mode been finally sorted out? I need to put some volumes in a proxy mode in a heavy scene, but because of the fact that I had some unpleasant surprises with it in the past, I thought I better ask first. Is it safe?

Guys, have issues with proxy mode been finally sorted out? I need to put some volumes in a proxy mode in a heavy scene, but because of the fact that I had some unpleasant surprises with it in the past, I thought I better ask first. Is it safe?

I personally have not experienced any problems with it since Andrew touched it up, but seeing as its been so finicky, I would wait for more responses than just mine :)

I used proxy mode a lot since V4_1-04-64 or so and noticed no change when brought back..

I still don't use them, last time I used surface<>voxel translation when in voxel mode I got mangled geometry. So I assume the same could happen under certain conditions with proxy. It could potentially be perfectly safe when used only in surface mode, but I didn't check that.

I sent Andrew a file around Easter, where I was having issue with the Proxy. Andrew supposedly fixed it where supposedly all means of file corruption was eliminated. But, like Beat, I'm too skiddish to try again, unless I really have to.

...Just make sure to save often, if you want to use it. Especially right before you cache the layer, and once you come out of it. Maybe a few different iterations while you are in proxy mode.

Save iteratively most of all. You don't always notice right away. It's good to have earlier version to avoid losing everything... even when you think everything is fine. You could have disconnected parts and only notice by brushing over it...

I see. I better be careful then. A backup before using the proxy mode sounds like a very good idea.

Thank you guys for your input. :good2:

I've noticed that Smooth Freeze in the voxel room is super slow now. Also, the result of smoothing freeze selection is dreadful. A bug?

I've noticed that Smooth Freeze in the voxel room is super slow now. Also, the result of smoothing freeze selection is dreadful. A bug?

Could be a void or something in the object. Test another scene, using the Human Primitive or Mannequin, and see if it's still acting that way. Maybe, for good measure, close the app > reopen it and test it.

This is possible because on a mannequin (1.5M) it takes just several seconds to smooth the freeze selection and on my 0.5M mesh it takes 25 seconds for one step of freeze smoothing(!). I ran a clean up, welded vertices, removed intersections - to no avail. What else can I do? I'm not to eager to convert it to voxels (to close hulls) and back to surface. We all know it may cause problems later.

The quality of freeze selection smoothing on the mannequin is  poor to say at least. See the image.

post-12523-0-20272000-1401453077_thumb.j

AJ,

What 3DC version are you using and which OS?  If you would like me to test your file, here, I'll be glad to.  It does look like the smooth quality on a freeze is striated.  However, the speed on mine (3DC 4.1.08B on a Windows 7 64-bit Pro machine) works in real-time.  I used the standard 1.5M mannequin to test.  You can see my specs in the signature line.

Hey, did something change in how we pan the scene?  I haven't done anything profound in 3DC in weeks, so I'm a bit rusty, but I noticed in the latest version I have to hold both left and right mouse buttons down to pan, rather than middle mouse.  Even the tool tip for the pan button shows that it's supposed to be Alt+Middle Mouse Button, but it no longer works.

One of the main things I love about 3DC is that it is highly configurable.  Can we please have that configurable?  The options don't appear to allow for a user-defined control for this.

Edited by alvordr

Hey, did something change in how we pan the scene?  I haven't done anything profound in 3DC in weeks, so I'm a bit rusty, but I noticed in the latest version I have to hold both left and right mouse buttons down to pan, rather than middle mouse.  Even the tool tip for the pan button shows that it's supposed to be Alt+Middle Mouse Button, but it no longer works.

Both methods work for me, though I usually prefer L/R buttons anyway since my fingers are already on those buttons.  Try some of the other presets under Camera > Custom Navigation.

Unfortunately, none of those work, so something's messed up.  I checked the "Customize Navigation" there, as well, but no luck on anything, despite telling it to "Move in screen space."  Tried other settings.  I finally deleted the Options.xml and still no luck.  Are you using the latest beta?

Edited by alvordr

AJ,

What 3DC version are you using and which OS?  If you would like me to test your file, here, I'll be glad to.  It does look like the smooth quality on a freeze is striated.  However, the speed on mine (3DC 4.1.08B on a Windows 7 64-bit Pro machine) works in real-time.  I used the standard 1.5M mannequin to test.  You can see my specs in the signature line.

I'm using Win7 Pro 64-bit (SP1) and 3DC 4.1.08A. I'll try 08B in a minute, but I don't expect it will offer me a significant speed boost in the freeze smoothing department. :)

Maybe it's my Kepler card (GTX660Ti) that slows this down, but on the other hand I don't recall having those slowdowns in the past. Freeze smoothing was - like you said - real-time for simple objects.

Edited by ajz3d

I installed the latest beta today and I'm finding that when I try to use the Hide tool while in the UV room, 3D Coat will crash. I've been able to repeat this consistently and on two different computers, one with nvidia and the other with an ATI card. Running Windows 7 Pro x64 on both systems.

Anybody else?

G.

This also happens on MacOS verison as well. latest. With a Nvidia gtx580 card.

I installed the latest beta today and I'm finding that when I try to use the Hide tool while in the UV room, 3D Coat will crash. I've been able to repeat this consistently and on two different computers, one with nvidia and the other with an ATI card. Running Windows 7 Pro x64 on both systems.

Anybody else?

G.

A little more info: apparently, this only happens here with certain geometry. No crashes when I use Hide for selections on simple meshes in the UV room, but  I get repeatable crashes on a more complicated mesh I'm working with today. I'm not yet sure what it is about the mesh that causes the crash. I tried regressing to the stable version of 3DC but same results.

Will post again if I figure out why this is happening with this mesh.

G.

Okay, I figured out the cause, at least in this case. When I import the object and use Set Subdivision, I get the crash in the UV room when using Hide. If I import the object with Subdivision set to None, Hide works fine in the UV Room.

I guess this is a bug but at least I can finish working on the UV map now. Will try Hide in the UV room with different geometry later today to see if this crash is repeatable with other 'complex' objects.

G.

im great full for the update and new features

but please fix UVroom(i can't even unrap)

and moving to v4.0 means registering every time.

I'm on OSX10.8.5

thanks a lot,you are Genious

I have an idea. Since the Spacebar popup is so big, how about putting the Quickaccess area right in the middle of it? That way when it pops up your mouse is already over it, making it just that much quicker.

I'm using Win7 Pro 64-bit (SP1) and 3DC 4.1.08A. I'll try 08B in a minute, but I don't expect it will offer me a significant speed boost in the freeze smoothing department. :)

Maybe it's my Kepler card (GTX660Ti) that slows this down, but on the other hand I don't recall having those slowdowns in the past. Freeze smoothing was - like you said - real-time for simple objects.

I recall AbnRanger saying something about 660 cards not working well with 3DC.  I decided to take his advice and skip that one.  He did, however, imply that we should consider an AMD card.  I wasn't convinced, but I do appreciate his experience with 3DC.  So far my 550Ti works like a charm.  I've maxed it out at 51 million polys on 3DC, not that I would ever need to go even remotely that high.