3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Reputable Contributor

BeatKitano, this is a good idea about tutorial. I would like to know how to fix models too. For example, I have created a model of a head in Voxel room. I have made a retopology. I made UVs. I painted this model in Paint room. Now client wants to modify the model, change ears, make nose bigger, etc. So, how can I fix it easily? Now I think that I have to go back to voxel room, make changes, make retopology again, unwrap UV sets, paint again. This sounds as a nightmare for me. Is there more easy way to fix it? Could someone who knows answer send me a PM, please? I'm sorry for offtopic.

You can use the Tweak Room to make those types of edits to a finished model. If you really need to go back into the Voxel Sculpting room, you could just use the same retopo mesh, with UV's and all, and when using the MOVE, TRANSFORM, or POSE tool in the Voxel Sculpting room, you can check "Update Retopo" in the upper left part of the UI. It will bind the verts in the Retopo Mesh to the closest vert in the Voxel object.

When you finish with your edits, you can go to the Retopo Room and merge to the Paint Room again. Now you can import any texture maps you previously created into the paint room (Textures Menu > Import).

EDIT: I see Carlosa beat me to it. :D

Before V4 I want to do one more thing. When I was sculpting and painting by myself I experienced it may be extremely useful and very necessary. I want to add E mode where you may create stroke by spline or by recording and use it in any tool, like it is drawn by hand. It will allow to get very accurate, precise and predictable strokes. How do you feel - will it be so helpful as I feel or it is just something you don't need? Of course stability is still top priory.

• Like 1

• Contributor

I personaly never use the replayLast functionality of zbrush (the equivalent of what you're suggesting in stroke palet under modifiers section), some might though.

One thing annoying me the most at the moment is the old "hide but current" bug still in the build. I keep reenabling view of voxtree volume when I use it.

• Contributor

Before V4 I want to do one more thing. When I was sculpting and painting by myself I experienced it may be extremely useful and very necessary. I want to add E mode where you may create stroke by spline or by recording and use it in any tool, like it is drawn by hand. It will allow to get very accurate, precise and predictable strokes. How do you feel - will it be so helpful as I feel or it is just something you don't need? Of course stability is still top priory.

I asked for this a lot in early v3 development a few years ago.

This is what I was talking about when I asked to be able to run brush along curves,not current implementation in voxel curve tool.

(which frankly,I never really used or understood how it works)

It would be super useful when using Flatten for beveling or Pinch because human hand always jitters even with interpolate,

its also impossible to do a 360 degree single stroke(I mean around an object,like the rim of a glass or a cup)

...and when you do 2 strokes with flatten tool there is always a bump where 2 strokes overlap.

Now the Challenge :) : To be truly useful you must be able to make it

work along E-panel spline even if spline is not seen by camera and hidden behind object,...

This is the problem right now with e-panel splines....even with Freeze tool,

You added the possibility to snap splines in 3d on mesh but it goes all wasted because tool effect is still apllied on screen based 2d mode.

(cutting/cloning tools still have to be screen based tough....but for Freeze/Pose tool its very needed to correct this)

Fixing this would makes e-panel splines much more powerful.

• Contributor

Andrew the smoothing that is controlled by the "smoothing" slider in LC tools has a too large effect,it destroy nearby strokes.

It needs to be closer to the tool alpha and falloff or have a thinner area of effect.

To reproduce try making strokes that are close to each other,you will understand what I mean.

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, this would be a very good feature to have for version 4.

• Contributor

I asked for this a lot in early v3 development a few years ago.

This is what I was talking about when I asked to be able to run brush along curves,not current implementation in voxel curve tool.

(which frankly,I never really used or understood how it works)

It would be super useful when using Flatten for beveling or Pinch because human hand always jitters even with interpolate,

its also impossible to do a 360 degree single stroke(I mean around an object,like the rim of a glass or a cup)

...and when you do 2 strokes with flatten tool there is always a bump where 2 strokes overlap.

Now the Challenge :) : To be truly useful you must be able to make it

work along E-panel spline even if spline is not seen by camera and hidden behind object,...

This is the problem right now with e-panel splines....even with Freeze tool,

You added the possibility to snap splines in 3d on mesh but it goes all wasted because tool effect is still apllied on screen based 2d mode.

(cutting/cloning tools still have to be screen based tough....but for Freeze/Pose tool its very needed to correct this)

Fixing this would makes e-panel splines much more powerful.

About pinch, I've an issue with it.

Let me explain:

If I want to pinch with all the rage, I need a big radius, with a low radius it doesn't pinch much.

The problem with bug radius is that it destroy the whole area in its trail.

So my suggestion is simple: pinch should work a bit differently:

The problem is pinch is not conservating the energy curve, it eats a bit in the surface.

pinch.jpg

What would be cool is a way (maybe use the invert function like in zbrush) to slightly raise the pinched area before the pinching function. This way it would compensate the curve loss and make the brush work well even with low radius.

This is even more visible here. I want to do a very hard edge, with low radius I can't, I need to take everything into the radius to achieve it and that can be a problem in detailed areas, slighty raising the pinched edge would allow for a better defined edge (and with fill we could finish defining that edge perfectly).

http://youtu.be/pIx9jWzm-3g

Basicaly the idea with the invert action here is to "planarise" each side along the pinched stroke while retaining their overall angle relative to the center radius.

• Reputable Contributor

Yes. The splines tool/brush in the E-Panel is one of the most powerful things in 3D Coat, but it would be helpful to have an open spline, also, to which we could apply brush stroke/alpha along. Similar to the Paint with Splines tool in the Paint Room. Right now, using the Curves tool (Vox Room), it's very clunky and inefficient for that (Brush along Curve). You can't see what you've applied until you step out of the tool. Having to try several times to get the right look, takes much longer/more effort than necessary, in my opinion.

Speaking of the Curves tool (Voxel Room), can we please have the option in the Tool Options Panel to adjust the number object iterations between points? It is sorely needed to accurately lay down stiching, fence rows, steps, stone patterns, etc.

Also there is a bug report about the Right-Click on a spline (to sharpen point) in the 2D Texture Editor not working.

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=792

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

@beatkitano, Setting your falloff to about 65% in the top tool panel and creating a alpha that has a faster falloff helps with correct pinching quite a bit.. I learned a few tricks to get around the problem shown. I can pinch an edge without effecting too great an area...

I think there could be a problem with the alpha inside the brush cursor which might be part of what you are experiencing.

Even with a fast falloff alpha and a high falloff in the top tool panel but with large brush radius it will still pinch too great an area. It is one of the little possible bugs or at least how 3DCoat handles the alpha inside brush cursor that I keep forgetting to post at Mantis...

• Reputable Contributor

Yep, it is a workaround. I know the alpha falloff needs to be stronger inside the brush cursor but keep it's strength in the center. Right now it seems like the brush falloff alpha inside the brush cursor is very soft across the whole alpha even on fast fallout off alphas. This being very clearly seen on a large radius brush as your video showed.

I also liked your suggestion for the pinch brush, forgot to say that... :D

• Reputable Contributor

A thank you to Andrew and Raul for working very, very hard on LiveClay. The stability and quality of the mesh plus brush stroke quality has improved tremendously over the course of the last several months. LiveClay has become the very powerful sculpting tool it was designed to be.

There will be tweaks in the future and further refining plus squashing a few remaining bugs but Job well done!

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

will it be possible to assign a hotkey to toggle between low res proxy and the high res (like moving back and forth between subdivisions in zbrush)...this would speed up the workflow for sure,

-Josh

Yep. Voxel Menu > Proxy Visualization > use END key to assign hotkey to whatever reduction/decimation levels you like > Assign hotkey to TOGGLE PROXY MODE.

I use my arrow keys. Up Arrow key assigned to toggle proxy mode, and the bottom row to 3 different reduction levels

E mode splines

please add an option closed yes/no

Please also post your feature requests to Mantis. It is very helpful there. (assuming it's not already there, if it is, please link it here. Thanks. :) )

• Advanced Member

+1

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Yep. Voxel Menu > Proxy Visualization > use END key to assign hotkey to whatever reduction/decimation levels you like > Assign hotkey to TOGGLE PROXY MODE.

I use my arrow keys. Up Arrow key assigned to toggle proxy mode, and the bottom row to 3 different reduction levels

Is that a non destructive workflow AbnRanger?

Is that a non destructive workflow AbnRanger?

The Proxy Mode is entirely non-destructive. I can't say for certain with 100% that reduction/decimation is, because it obviously does what it says it does.

• Advanced Member

I think I'll do a quickstart guide for new user to discover the fun this app is (how to quickly get into liveclay and sculpt from basicaly nothing :p)

That would be great! nics sculpt by the way.

Andrew, An E mode where you may create stroke by spline would be awesome!

• Contributor

Andrew if you still have the file I submitted you, could you please deactivate symmetry on a part, brush a bit liveclay/surf+removestretching, reactivate symmetry and try to symm copy ?

I think symm copy is completely broken, I just spend 20 minutes fixing holes appearing in the resymmetrized part (and thank you for this tool I would've been pretty annoyed if it didn't exist as deleting the hidden part to resymm didn't do the trick).

Yep, symmcopy is definitely broken, can't resym anything without missing patches on the resymmed part with both connected or unconnect parts..