3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

Hi, I have not read through all the pages on this post, so sorry if this is commented on. I get a crash when:

- import model for pixel paining

- keep uv, but set initial subdivision to 9856

- UV is 4096*4096

- Go to "uv-room"

- Press "unwrap"

- Press "Apply UV-set"

This leads always to a crash.

I am on a Mac, using 4.00Beta5(GL64)

Any thoughts?

edit: same operation goes without crash in 3.17.18F

Regards,

Tor M

By the way, anyone using the CUDA version, make sure to disable CUDA (Voxel Menu) when you uncache a layer. Otherwise the mesh will explode. It's been reported, so just keep it in mind for now.

Uncaching layers may be problematic if you was using tsmooth or Super smooth via top panel on cached layer. I will protect user from using this in next build. It is not related to CUDA.

Hi, I have not read through all the pages on this post, so sorry if this is commented on. I get a crash when:

- import model for pixel paining

- keep uv, but set initial subdivision to 9856

- UV is 4096*4096

- Go to "uv-room"

- Press "unwrap"

- Press "Apply UV-set"

This leads always to a crash.

I am on a Mac, using 4.00Beta5(GL64)

Any thoughts?

edit: same operation goes without crash in 3.17.18F

Regards,

Tor M

Probably it depends on model. Of course it will not crash on any model. You may send model or scene to support.

Andrew if you still have the file I submitted you, could you please deactivate symmetry on a part, brush a bit liveclay/surf+removestretching, reactivate symmetry and try to symm copy ?

I think symm copy is completely broken, I just spend 20 minutes fixing holes appearing in the resymmetrized part (and thank you for this tool I would've been pretty annoyed if it didn't exist as deleting the hidden part to resymm didn't do the trick).

Yep, symmcopy is definitely broken, can't resym anything without missing patches on the resymmed part with both connected or unconnect parts..

I fixed it, but it is only refresh problem, if you will do anything near the edge it will get to correct state.

• Contributor

Not on my end Andrew, If I try to brush on those patch holes the surrounding surface is affected ok, but the holes stay. I also got what you describe (ghost of previous state before resym, with that bug it disappear with brushing like you said, but not the holes I was talking about)

Those are two different glitches. The only way I found to fix that issue is keep caping the holes and resym until it fully transferate without creating new holes.

I just tried I can't reproduce right now but I'll try later, I'm sure I can get it again I'll capture it if it happens.

• Advanced Member

I'm getting a problem with the latest version of 3DC(DX64). Sorry I don't know if this is known about or whether there's a fix already but I don't have time to go through this very long thread.

If I lock my machine and come back to it later with 3DC running the app window will appear Black and won't come back regardless of how long I leave it.

I'll try and submit a Mantis bug report when I get time.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series Card btw.

Anyone else getting this?

I'm getting a problem with the latest version of 3DC(DX64). Sorry I don't know if this is known about or whether there's a fix already but I don't have time to go through this very long thread.

If I lock my machine and come back to it later with 3DC running the app window will appear Black and won't come back regardless of how long I leave it.

I'll try and submit a Mantis bug report when I get time.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series Card btw.

Anyone else getting this?

Try to resize app window with system icons on the top right. Try DX/GL version. Don't use screensaver.

Updated to BETA6E

- symm copy fixed

- flattern/chiesel working better with line and curve in E mode

- TSmooth/relax will depend on pressure and smoothing slider

- using SHIFT modificators prohibited in proxy mode

- a lot of sefety checks and user troubleshoots included to prevent different strange situations

- retopo room wireframe rendered more correctly

- fixed several mantis problems

Mac&Linux: Still not ready, stuck on dae. Probably I will ask to postpone dae and do build as is.

• Contributor

Updated to BETA6E

- symm copy fixed

- flattern/chiesel working better with line and curve in E mode

- TSmooth/relax will depend on pressure and smoothing slider

- using SHIFT modificators prohibited in proxy mode

- a lot of sefety checks and user troubleshoots included to prevent different strange situations

- retopo room wireframe rendered more correctly

- fixed several mantis problems

Mac&Linux: Still not ready, stuck on dae. Probably I will ask to postpone dae and do build as is.

Good news,on my side TSsmooth now works properly when assigned to shift also it stopped problem where TSsmooth tool smoothness value was always resetted to 0.7 when pressing shift.....

but there is one problem :) :Idont see any difference when changing Depth or Smoothing sliders

it always smooth the same amount,same effect,same strenght ect...I tested thoroughly with both wireframe on and off.

Can anyone confirm?

Also lattern/chiesel working with line and curve in E mode is not really useful (sorry)

Now it is only useful to bevel a Cube or a prism....

because for each click when drawing the curve/line equals a bump where click was done.... impossible to make long precise,continuous strokes ...

Tools needs to work along e-panel splines and b-splines and stroke is only done when user press "apply".

It has to be a some sort of stroke simulation performed by 3DCoat somehow....

• Reputable Contributor

Uncaching layers may be problematic if you was using tsmooth or Super smooth via top panel on cached layer. I will protect user from using this in next build. It is not related to CUDA.

Funny, cause as I mentioned in the last e-mail I sent, When I had CUDA turned on, the Crash happened immediately when I uncached the layer. I clicked UNDO to get the layer back into the cached state > Voxel Menu > Uncheck CUDA > uncached the layer and there was no explosion this time.

• Advanced Member

Thank you Andrew.

By the way i'm really curious to know who is still exporting something via DAE (no polemic i'm just curious) .

• Reputable Contributor

I just answerred my own question: Nope. Still broken.

Edit: additionally, the ao bake does something quite similar:

Edit: colourpicking is also wonky if your brush is below a certain size.

It may be a worse problem, but it seems like I've had this sort of problem before. Not sure if exiting the app > deleting the Options.xml file (in My Documnets > 3D Coat) > relaunching app, fixed it or not. Uploading the file to the 3D Coat server (HELP menu > Upload large file to support), and e-mailing Andrew at support@3d-coat.com, to let him know you just sent it, will help him get to the bottom of it.

• Contributor

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why my material will not transfer to the surface of my object? It always has before. The decal is perfectly sized (tiling is off), I have white as the base color and the paint brush selected so why does nothing change when I paint over it? It makes no difference what layer I attempt to paint, they all remain uncolored.

Will, I discovered that it only will paint over the voxel object which I originally had turned off. This makes no sense as the voxel surface doesn't match the retopo surface (which I want to paint on).post-1430-0-72459300-1354755875_thumb.pn

Not a pretty sight!

I'm sort of wary of making new bug reports in mantis, because I don't know if a certain behavior is working as expected or a bug. But here are some of the Paint Room quirks I've stumbled across. Using Beta4 6E (these have been in previous betas also).

1. The e-panel "Draw with lines" and "Draw with curves" tools don't work in the texture editor in paint room. If you try to use them, nothing happens (no color, spec or depth applied).

2. In orthographic view using the e-panel rectangle tool projects through the model and applies the effect to everything behind the surface you're working on (provided that both surfaces are facing the same direction). There are e-panel modes that work fine (all the standard brushing things, stamps), but rectangles, splines, circles don't work.

3. Sometimes a painting doesn't work at all. Let's say you're painting straight lines with the freehand e-mode and nothing happens. If you then just randomly paint swiggles on the surface, they show up fine. A reboot seems to fix this problem.

Should these be posted to mantis?

Pasting geo_n request:

Reference Point - Please add centerpoint or marker when using materials for projections. If its there sorry for request. But having to constantly scale and move the material projection takes time because there's no reference point.

ty

4.(This is obviously specific to my model and uv island sizes)

Setting the depth value and painting in 3d view yields different results when (with the same depth value) painting in the Texture Editor. The texture editor's version has more depth ( a lot more). When checking the height scale, the 3d view version has a scale of 2 and the texture editor version has a value of 10, for example.

This is because one has to grow the brush size a lot when drawing in the texture editor to match the brush marks made in the 3d view and the Depth increases with the brush size.

I'm not sure how other's feel, but this is one of my pet peeves with 3dcoat. The depth is dependent on the radius of the pen. The depth should just be the actual Depth value that the user has selected.

Maybe this would introduce weirdness though, and being such a newbie at this, I might be way off base. Thoughts?

Edited by stry

• Contributor

Andrew,Im experiencing extreme freezing(or endless waiting time) time

when using Pin holes,Close holes and Paint hole 's remesh function tool .

I thought it was something new to betaE so I reverted back to betaD....but problem is still there.

I clearly remembered it was much faster....Im 100% sure of it. Even in betaD....

a file must have gotten corrupted somehow.

Im talking 10 minutes delay when using those functions to close big painted hole on the default 30k sphere(30k is pretty small).

Also result is very weird...

here is result after 12 minutes waiting of Pin hole tool (detail 0.6 on a 30 k sphere,)

(I sent file to support)

post-1195-0-53158000-1354812664_thumb.jp

Edit:ok,it seems I found source of problem : "Paint hole" detail value must be very low.

Even if low "pin hole" detail value is used if high "paint hole" value was used freezing and garbage result happens...

It seems "Paint hole" values of 0.7 and above result in extreme waiting time when trying "pin hole" or "close hole" tool and even Reconstruction.(0.7 is a value im sure new user will try...its not crazy value, so it is a real issue)

Im testing on a 30 k sphere ,problem is probably much worse using higher polycount...

Paint hole value should be locked very low or another solution need to be found...

but the thing is.....high detail values when using "paint hole" works very well along Raul's "Shell" command.Its very fast....

So high detail values can still be useful when using "shell" command.

So a compromise must be found somehow....