3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

Updated to BETA9 (Win)

- Extrude/Flattern area in voxel suraface mode done - http://bit.ly/RlzRts , http://bit.ly/RlzWgw , http://bit.ly/RlzYoG

- VoxLayer/Extrude got nice preview of future shape - http://bit.ly/VbgTU5

- VoxLayer/Extrude will make spots that will create shapes of pen's size - http://bit.ly/VbhpBz It gives much better control.

- new item Voxels->Show statistics (volume, square, holes info)

- Surfacial smooth polished a lot, now it has a lot of useful options and has become very powerful tool - http://bit.ly/RlzKxQ

- cutoff in surface mode works better - it eliminates pieces that are completely in contour.

- all problems reported by e-mail and Mantis fixed (windows storing, occlusion, spline stroke problems and other).

PLEASE! Report everything to Mantis. It will lead to IMMEDIATE fixing. Othervice it is to easy to loose report.

• Contributor

Updated to BETA9 (Win)

- Extrude/Flattern area in voxel suraface mode done - http://bit.ly/RlzRts , http://bit.ly/RlzWgw , http://bit.ly/RlzYoG

- VoxLayer/Extrude got nice preview of future shape - http://bit.ly/VbgTU5

- VoxLayer/Extrude will make spots that will create shapes of pen's size - http://bit.ly/VbhpBz It gives much better control.

- Surfacial smooth polished a lot, now it has a lot of useful options and has become very powerful tool - http://bit.ly/RlzKxQ

- all problems reported by e-mail and Mantis fixed (windows storing, occlusion, spline stroke problems and other).

PLEASE! Report everything to Mantis. It will lead to IMMEDIATE fixing. Othervice it is to easy to loose report.

Surfacial smooth is great,it avoids need to go back to voxel mode for smoothing in many cases. :good:

Ignore Backfacing do not work in vox extrude/layer tools...its very important that it works otherwise much time is lost spent deslecting backfaces.

(btw it is flatten not flattern... :) )

Andrew,did you read message I sent you regarding issues cutoff and pinhole tool?

I used forum messaging,is it bad way to send problems?

Surfacial smooth is great,it avoids need to go back to voxel mode for smoothing in many cases. :good:

Andrew,did you read message I sent you regarding issues cutoff and pinhole tool?

I used forum messaging,is it bad way to send problems?

Now I found it, but really, I have not seen it. Mantis is still better way to report and you will se progress of fixing.

• Contributor

Now I found it, but really, I have not seen it. Mantis is still better way to report and you will se progress of fixing.

ok.

Now it seems "ignore backfacing" works with vox extrude/layer tools ....very strange. :huh:

First time I tried I had selections on the back of the sphere...

Very nice update so far. The only issue I see is that in Extrude the Invert took a long time and then did not invert in one of my tests. I made a little video and it happened at the end (of course it only happened when I was making a video)

Yes, I understand why it takes longer, that's not a problem, it just didn't seem to invert, the result was thew same as with Invert turned off.

Edit: Oh I see, it pushed everyting outside the selection in instead of pulling the selected out.

Oh I see, it pushed everything outside the selection in instead of pulling the selected out.

I wonder if there's a way to "invert tool action" like you would normally do by holding Ctrl. So that everything selected is pushed in instead of extruded.

• Contributor

Oh I see, it pushed everything outside the selection in instead of pulling the selected out.

I wonder if there's a way to "invert tool action" like you would normally do by holding Ctrl. So that everything selected is pushed in instead of extruded.

just use negative offset value :)

• Contributor

An handle on a door ? What for ? We have KICK !

You know what I mean Artman, don't take it the wrong way, it's just it makes me laugh everytime someone come with a workaround when there's everything to streamline the functionalities (invert function is exactly here for that !)

BTW: what was the issues with adding those controls for extraction with lets say... any tool that could basicaly perform the same (but were simply lacking those options ?).

Yes, another tool \o/ Exactly like the carve tool in vox room which is basicaly any tool which remove matter with invert action...

And the list could go on, but that I already tried.

• Contributor

Andrew,in vox extrude tool "Invert" should be renamed "invert selection" it wouldbe less confusing I think....

Also I think all sliders that have useful negative values should be "slidable" to negative values also...its logical,it will at least give new user idea to try a negative value...not evrybody will have idea to try negative value without reason especially if the slider start at 0.

• Contributor

You know what I mean Artman, don't take it the wrong way, it's just it makes me laugh everytime someone come with a workaround when there's everything to streamline the functionalities (invert function is exactly here for that !)

Its just a naming issue....it does not invert "behavior" it "invert selection"...both are needed ,and both are right there in the little window...not much complicated....it would just give people a hint if slider was slidable to negative value.

• Contributor

I'm not talking about the naming issue. What you're suggesting goes against EVERY slider in the app. Nowhere it's indicated that you can use negative value. You can do it (sometimes with horrible results) but for an user pov it's completely not intuitive.

What you're suggesting (which is not a bad idea in itself) is like saying: ok in no other slider you're actually compelled to go negative, but with THIS ONE you can. What's the logic here ? Consistency please ?

Well thats the keyword in fact.

Consistency is what is greatly lacking throughout the app.

• Contributor

I

I'm not talking about the naming issue. What you're suggesting goes against EVERY slider in the app. Nowhere it's indicated that you can use negative value. You can do it (sometimes with horrible results) but for an user pov it's completely not intuitive.

What you're suggesting (which is not a bad idea in itself) is like saying: ok in no other slider you're actually compelled to go negative, but with THIS ONE you can. What's the logic here ? Consistency please ?

Well thats the keyword in fact.

Consistency is what is greatly lacking throughout the app.

If you read correctly I said "all sliders that have useful negative value"....and its not the only one.

Also sliders which have dangerous negative values should be locked to Zero and Andrew already locked a bunch I reported to him and if you see more you can report them to him and Im sure he will lock them.

Also.I don't understand when you say "for an user pov it's completely not intuitive" ....when in Zbrush all deformations work with negative values sliders and wait...negative extract in subtool palette works with ...guess what?:negative value in a slider....

It does not work by holding CTRL.... :) Maybe this consistency problem should be reported to pixologic....

• Contributor

I

Also.I don't understand when you say "as a user pov it's completely not intuitive" ....when in Zbrush all deformation works with negative vlalues sliders and wait...negative extract in subtool palette works with ...guess what?:negative value in a slider....

It does not work by holding CTRL.... :)

True, but in zbrush those slider are in the middle of the track. You know you have two directions, hence you can understand there are both pos and neg values. Not here, that's what I mean by not intuitive.

You've got no visual indication, you've got to try and we both know some people are too wary to try things they don't know/understand. Yeah taking the user by hand is also the job of a UI designer, even if sometimes it looks a bit silly it's still important part of the job.

You want another point about that: zbrush got it right. YEah tons of buttons with cut text which are not meaning anything. Now look at tooltip, you got it. In 3dc look at most tooltip, early 3x cycle tooltips are ok. Next after that... ;)

• Contributor

True, but in zbrush those slider are in the middle of the track. You know you have two directions, hence you can understand there are both pos and neg values. Not here, that's what I mean by not intuitive.

You've got no visual indication, you've got to try and we both know some people are too wary to try things they don't know/understand. Yeah taking the user by hand is also the job of a UI designer, even if sometimes it looks a bit silly it's still important part of the job.

lol this is exactly what I asked Andrew in the post you replied to.... :)

• Contributor

Yeah, so we both said it. We agree. Looking forward to the next step now :=)

The part where all the sliders that can use both pos and neg values are updated to reflect that...

Look, what 4-5 posts for something that exist in standard ui conventions since win 98SE.... nice.

• Like 1

well all I can say is I just spent 2 hours having a blast with VoxExtrude. Iam thinking of a million ways I will use this. Some people say the older version of 3d Coat is fine because it works good and is fast enough. But the new features being implemented in 4.0 are adding up to be in my opinion a really killer program and people will miss how really useful this new features are (like the new spline draw mode ..I could not live without that now!) And this is coming from a long time zbrush user. I helped test different versions zbrush for several years. Anyway, just a thanks for all the hard work people are putting in to this. :)

• Like 1

• Contributor

Andrew ,I just started to experiment with converting vertex paint to freezes....I don't understand how you and Raul did it but its crazy.

I mean the fact that vextex painting is not destroyed by Liveclay brushes is incredible :o

....It means we can literally store freeze/mask on layers,and keep on sculpting....even with LC brushes....

On another topic,I just found out Vox layer tool even works with paintroom Fill tool cube mapping to extract patterns..

...very powerful hidden feature!!!Very V4 worthy!

It gave me idea to add different mapping to Fill tool that would be lattice based (spherical,cylindrical and cube lattice)

because Cube mapping anisotropy is not very good to uniformly lay seamless patterns like grids and nets ect

....and of course UV mapping is not usable when vertex painting...

...so spherical,cylindrical and cube lattice mapping in Fill tool would allow very powerful interacting with Vox layer/extrude tool.

Just an idea...maybe it is super easy to implement. :)

here is example of idea

(in picture of course Fill tool cube mapping does not give pretty seamless result but you can still see what I mean in picture)

post-1195-0-67313300-1356807742_thumb.jp

(btw save/load in paintroom freeze tool does not work when vertex painting)

• Reputable Contributor

Having trouble with the new spline draw mode in the E-Panel. When Closed Spline option is chosen, it's very hard to get a clean result, especially if you choose Strips. Anyone else noticing this, please confirm on this report in Mantis. Also noticed that UNDO doesn't UNDO spline points. It leaves them in place and you have to remove/delete it manually. Don't think that is a feature.

just use negative offset value :)

I tried that, nothing happened. Hmm tried it again, this time it worked. Thanks.

Here's a tip, if you want to use any of the e panel shape tools like the lasso you should increase the Border Width to above 15 or so. Otherwise the edge line is very jaggedy, not clean.

• Contributor

Wow, Andrew was being serious! I just reported two bugs to Mantis and he fixed them within a few hours!

Thank you!!!!! :) :) :) This is a wonderful New Year's gift!

...oh and by the way...I just now reported one more (retopo room strokes tool bug)...thanks again!