3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

I have opened 3dcoat models and obj models successfully, carlosa what models did you try opening?

Just tried importing for Autotopo and all seems well at the moment ,I will try different models and see.

All still ok, tried on all 3dcoats DX, OGL, Cuda.

Oh and nice and fast :)

• Reputable Contributor

Wow! This must be the gretest speed increase Ive seen between 2 builds since early v3. :)

LiveClay sculpting is 4x faster on my side,even with brushes with spacing values of 2-3 with heavy tesselation.

Can you test InflateClay? Before this build, it seemed to me to be the one LC brush that was still a bit sluggish. But CreaseClay was surprisingly fast.

• Advanced Member

I have a proposal for UI change in voxels room. Honestly I do not like the tools list drag navigation. I would like to change tools list on the left panel in Voxels room. We need only 5 buttons on the top of tools list for each group of tools - Voxels, Adjust, Objects, Surface, Commands. When we press one of these buttons then we see appropriate list of the tools for this group. This navigation will be more easy for navigation because all tools will always stay on their positions what helps to find them quickly instead of current drop-down lists when we have to drag it back and forth constantly. Please give your thoughts in Mantis thread if you agree or disagree. http://3d-coat.com/m...iew.php?id=1012

There is a picture attached with the example how I want to see the new tools list. Instead of buttons with V,A,O,S,C letters we can have the buttons with pictures which represent Voxels, Adjust, Objects, Surface, Commands.

newmenucombo.png

• Like 1

• Contributor

Wow! This must be the gretest speed increase Ive seen between 2 builds since early v3. :)

LiveClay sculpting is 4x faster on my side,even with brushes with spacing values of 2-3 with heavy tesselation.

I guess it's not me then, I didn't use 3dc for a while now and I wasn't sure if it wasn't my memory playing tricks on me.

I agree then, especialy while using large radius, the difference is considerable :=)

May I ask what was done ?

• Contributor

Can you test InflateClay? Before this build, it seemed to me to be the one LC brush that was still a bit sluggish. But CreaseClay was surprisingly fast.

InflateClay is much much faster than before on my side....4X at least.... Do you have missing CreaseClay settings?

• Contributor

I confirm CreaseClay settings missing but I'm using your presets, maybe that's the reason, presets you should share now (SHARP wasn't working well for me, too slow but now it's all good :) )

I would go as far as saying those should be in as default preset if none is user created at startup :) (instead of this frightening empty preset panel that leaves some people in doubt)

• Contributor

no there is no creseclay in my presets,

I confirm CreaseClay settings missing but I'm using your presets, maybe that's the reason, presets you should share now (SHARP wasn't working well for me, too slow but now it's all good :) )

I would go as far as saying those should be in as default preset if none is user created at startup :)

hmmm I dont think presets can affect default brushes but anyway the creaseclay brush is not used my presets....probably a bug.

Speed is already pretty fast on my prehistoric build I cant even imagine how fun it must be with your monster machine.

Please post a video of just some quick brushing with Sharp .Greeble2 and Flaten that would be very cool of you

...just a few lashes on a sphere so I can see how they roll :)

• Contributor

Yep.

Judging from the noise coming from my fans, Andrew probably changed something in cpu threading of did something regarding gpu acceleration.

Anyway, if I don't spot tear/holes and other funky buggers I'll go with v4, this update really brought the sculpting experience up.

• Contributor

Anyway, if I don't spot tear/holes and other funky buggers I'll go with v4, this update really brought the sculpting experience up.

I've sculpted for hours without anytear/holes except one time and the hole was very tiny and easy to fix....I havent found the reason,possibly still reduce tool.

Please post a vid :) I want to see how fast you can go with such low spacing values.

Andrew, it seems Restore Freezing State does not work.Can anyone confirm?

• Contributor

I'll try to do a live session (+record) tomorrow. It's indeed very fun, but I don't want to go to happy town too soon. Been there done that too many times (got a crash this afternoon after doodling on an old scene for 20 mins) so.... I hope this time Andrew proves me wrong (and make me say good things, because he thinks, sadly, that I see only bad things in this app)

• Reputable Contributor

no there is no creseclay in my presets,

hmmm I dont think presets can affect default brushes but anyway the creaseclay brush is not used my presets....probably a bug.

Speed is already pretty fast on my prehistoric build I cant even imagine how fun it must be with your monster machine.

Please post a video of just some quick brushing with Sharp .Greeble2 and Flaten that would be very cool of you

...just a few lashes on a sphere so I can see how they roll :)

Come to speak of it...this exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago (CreaseClay settings missing) I reported it to Andrew, but before he could look into it, I deleted all the config files in MyDocs/3D Coat, and some of the UI issues like this went away. I think Andrew still needs to track this down, if it keeps cropping up....cause I'm getting really tired of having to restore all the brushes, presets, UI theme,etc., every time I suspect the configs my be the source of the problem.

Also, another thing that is getting on my last nerve, is the polygon beneath the cursor is highlighted, when using the BRUSH tool in the Retopo Room. This has got to be a bug, methinks. Is it happening to anyone else? It seems now, it doesn't happen initially. Only after maybe doing some UV work or something. But when it happens, I can't figure out how to turn it off.

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah...confirmed, regarding CreaseClay options missing/blank. I deleted config files and it still occurs.

Reported it on Mantis, if anyone wants to confirm it there.

http://3d-coat.com/m...iew.php?id=1014

One other thing...what is going on with the hotkey for WIREFRAME? Why does it keep changing from 4 to W, then back to 4...now W? I recorded a lot of tutorials, where I mention using the 4 key to toggle wireframe, so this is going to throw a lot of folks off.

Yeah...confirmed, regarding CreaseClay options missing/blank. I deleted config files and it still occurs.

Reported it on Mantis, if anyone wants to confirm it there.

One other thing...what is going on with the hotkey for WIREFRAME? Why does it keep changing from 4 to W, then back to 4...now W? I recorded a lot of tutorials, where I mention using the 4 key to toggle wireframe, so this is going to throw a lot of folks off.

Default hotkey was changed 3 or 4 months ago. Ok, I will consider supporting both keys.

Crease clay settings was turned off because that options do things only worse. There was problems due to options usage so they was removed and adaptive tesselation turned off tor this tool.

this reply was added to the mantis request

-------------------------------

RENDER ROOM

Render dont stop

Ray for frame number has no action

please any1 check

ty

• Contributor

Default hotkey was changed 3 or 4 months ago. Ok, I will consider supporting both keys.

Could you consider making hardcoded keys like that (and tab also for instance) customizable (maybe in navigation panel ?). It's confusing to have hardcoded keys when everything else is fully customizable.

Also I discovered something in 12b (maybe it was there before but I didn't see it). If you put shader menu on top of the app (above the viewport), clicking on contrast/ambient/rotate lite, it selects the shader in the panel below it (even though it's not in focus).

Edit: It seems it's a special case, I wanted to record a gif to show, but can't get it to happen today.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Either 12B is awesome or it's my driver. I just updated my Geforce driver from 310 to 314 and from beta12A to 12B at the same time and now a .3b file that earlier today would take ~5-7 minutes to load now loads in under 10 seconds! What's up with that? Is that the bug fixes in the CUDA version or is this driver better? Either way thanks for the 12B update it's great so far!

• Contributor

Crease clay settings was turned off because that options do things only worse. There was problems due to options usage so they was removed and adaptive tesselation turned off tor this tool.

is there a problem using "crease" from generalbrush ? I dont see any issue right now while using it.

Chris...I was just joking about your previous post. You didn't have to delete yours and mine. I knew you weren't making a racial slur. Just poking fun how some here are so hyper sensitive, they'll twist other people's words to make them look bad. I commented about GPU acceleration possibly making 3D Coat fast...rice rocket fast (I've always understood that phrase as a standard nickname for cafe style motorcycles...kind of like Harley Davidsons are sometimes called "Hogs"). Some antagonists here complained about it, claiming I'm a racist (because of it). :wacko: Just showing how silly it can get up in here, sometimes.

Hi Don.

All is right. I understand your recent joke, but didn't wanted to comment it further. Especially because of Carlosas request in the corresponding thread. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Oh no. That's ungood. :D I was not experiencing any issues with Crease Clay, using different options. Disabling them effectively cripples this tool, now. Why? Because in order to get it to tessellate at the level you want, you have to reduce the brush size much smaller than is practical. This was one of the best and most used tools in 3D Coat. It is now about 20% as useful as it once was.

• Reputable Contributor

Oh no. That's ungood. :D I was not experiencing any issues with Crease Clay, using different options. Disabling them effectively cripples this tool, now. Why? Because in order to get it to tessellate at the level you want, you have to reduce the brush size much smaller than is practical. This was one of the best and most used tools in 3D Coat. It is now about 20% as useful as it once was.

I also had no issues with the CreaseClay brush and indeed it is one of the most used brushes in the LC brush tool set...

I had my own created alphas, brush settings and the CreaseClay brush performed beautifully... The CreaseClay and the Pinch brush are two of the most effective brushes we have in surface mode for fine work.

Please if all at possible find a way to restore the settings of the CreaseClay brush.

Could you consider making hardcoded keys like that (and tab also for instance) customizable (maybe in navigation panel ?). It's confusing to have hardcoded keys when everything else is fully customizable.

+1

I don't think it makes sense to have it hardcoded, every key on the keyboard and function in 3DC should be consistent. The default key should be 4 (since that is consistent with the other viewport modes on the number keys), but the keys should all be fully customizable with no hardcode.

IMHO 3DC has a lot going for it, if it were not for the inconsistencies I think new users would be able to pick it up and start using it much more easily.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Andrew, the lag selection in presets is back, I get as long as two sec lag when switching between presets.

Artman is impacted too.

Otherwise, working on 1-2 meshes sculpt didn't trigger crazy things except one crash which, as Artman suggested may be related to Move + removestreching with a big radius which also corrupted the file (after savecrash).

So good work there :)

• Advanced Member

I was thinking yesterday that if we had the ability to paint on the models we sculpt BEFORE we bake that that might help in the workflow. We could even paint WHILE we scuplt. It might not actually be necessary as 3DC does a great job of texturing, already. I'm just thinking outside the box for a second to see if there is any benefit to this?

This is starting to sound like how ZBrush does it, but is it better/worse?

• Contributor

I was thinking yesterday that if we had the ability to paint on the models we sculpt BEFORE we bake that that might help in the workflow. We could even paint WHILE we scuplt. It might not actually be necessary as 3DC does a great job of texturing, already. I'm just thinking outside the box for a second to see if there is any benefit to this?

This is starting to sound like how ZBrush does it, but is it better/worse?

You can (if your mesh is in surface mode), go to paint room and you can start painting, be aware though that spec painting is creating seams sometimes and that you can't toggle painting (which REALLY needs a switch somewhere to see the sculpt vs sculpt+surface paint).

Also some shaders aren't working with that mode, if you don't see your paint, switch to another shader.

You can add the paint tools in the preset panel as presets too, so that with sculpt preset you can switch between room on selection, and make your changes and alternate between rooms at will.