3D Coat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

I think it's messed up, too. I've had it not line up at the origin, and had to click RESET SYMMETRY PLANE in the symmetry panel afterwards, to get it to reset the plane at the origin.

I'll have to look into that command, as I didn't realize it was there. I've been using 'To global space'

Why I should try it? Is this what I'm looking for?

Is Y the depth? or is it Z?

If you have any example, please, this UI is completely confusing for me.

It utilises an orthogonal Y axis projection to bake depth information into a square sized 32-bit or 16-bit EXR/TIFF file that can then be used as a (non-vector) displacement or depth map.

Andrew implemented it mainly for depth rendering of seamless tiles in the Voxel Room, but if you assume that the world's Y-down axis is your render camera's facing direction, you could bake camera-based depth/displacement of anything, I believe.

I think it's messed up, too. I've had it not line up at the origin, and had to click RESET SYMMETRY PLANE in the symmetry panel afterwards, to get it to reset the plane at the origin.

Does this mean "No Center Snap" is broken in 15A? In the past for me, symmetry was only on bounding box not on the actual X =0 when this was not checked on import or whatever. I wish this setting was defaulted on. But you guys may be talking about a different symmetry issue?

Right now, I'm referencing symmetry in the Voxel room, so I'll have to test it in the Retopo room when I can. I would imagine it affects both.

AbnRanger,

By the way, resetting the symmetry plane isn't working for me, either. I did, however, notice that there is a 'Lock symmetry plane' option...so is there a way to move it?

3dc beta 14a1 just crashed on me while painting (holding down e to erase), and when I restarted it all my settings were wiped. Attempting to Restore my workspace, the filetype it lists in the bottom is "3dc_wrokspace 3dc_workspace", which for obvious reasons it can't find. So now I can't load my settings.

I'd label this as 'urgent', which is also why I'm not posting it on Mantis (which isn't quick enough for urgent stuff. Bugs tend to remain unclosed for a long time there).

dragging the .workspace file into the viewport only results in a cutoff cancel (canc) button popping up.

even when renaming my workspace to "filename.3dc_wrokspace 3dc_workspace" 3dcoat doesn't see it.

I'm also mailing this to support, but for maximum visibility I'm putting it here as well. All my custom hotkeys are gone, so it's really slowing down my work.

edit: out-of-office reply from Andrew.

edit: beta15 has the same issue, it doesn't see my workspace files and the box at the bottom says '3dc_wrokspace 3dc_workspace'.

A new user pointed out that the Ambient light control isn't doing anything. I tried it myself and found the same thing.

Randomly the viewport freezes for a brief moment :(

never happened before :huh:

15a

This may sound crazy, but, the latest v4 beta causes my comp to emit a super low hissing-ish sound whenever I move the cursor around the 3dc UI ... It isn't coming from the speakers, its coming from the actual computer. o_O lol

This may sound crazy, but, the latest v4 beta causes my comp to emit a super low hissing-ish sound whenever I move the cursor around the 3dc UI ... It isn't coming from the speakers, its coming from the actual computer. o_O lol

That's either one of your hard drives spinning up or a cooling fan (temp sensor) on your CPU or Graphics Card. Hard to tell. Doesn't happen here. Sounds like your Graphics card fan

A new user pointed out that the Ambient light control isn't doing anything. I tried it myself and found the same thing.

I can confirm that it doesn't appear to work unless you have Shadows enabled. Once you turn shadows on, it works perfectly fine. I don't know if that is one of those hidden changes Andrew makes or not.

The hissing sound could be the monitor too. Mine always makes an annoying buzzing sound whenever I surf the Digital Photography Review website.

The hissing sound could be the monitor too. Mine always makes an annoying buzzing sound whenever I surf the Digital Photography Review website.

I don't think any app can be blamed for hardware overheating or noises. If the hardware is not able to handle a steady CPU or GPU load, then it's not Andrew's fault.

I don't think any app can be blamed for hardware overheating or noises. If the hardware is not able to handle a steady CPU or GPU load, then it's not Andrew's fault.

Well, 3D Coat is the only app that it happens with. And my hardware is way more than sufficient to handle 3D Coat. i7 3770k, 560ti, 32gb ram. My temps never go above 45, average is 38ish.

I remember trying the demo of 3dCoat a couple of years ago,it was unusable because it made my power supply squeal for some reason! So I gave up on Coat for a bit . But gradually it would start to squeal with other programs.So I eventually decided that the power supply was on the way out so I got a new one which now works with Coat without squealing at me ! But when Coat has to do anything that needs a lot of brain power the fans do kick in a bit. Then my processor fan developed a crack on one of the blades so that as it went faster it started to hit its own casing....it took me ages to figure that one out! By the end it sounded like a playing card in a bike wheel....but louder!

I had a hissing monitor also, I am using it as my second one ,it was a bit distracting,but it turned out that the volume on its speakers were turned up to full but with no input to them.

I thought the ambient light only worked on certain shaders anyway? Like the light position does not work on certain shaders. I use the Pic Mat Clay shaders and the only thing that has ever worked for me was the intensity of the light. I think I only tried shadows maybe once or twice, maybe I will have another look at that.

Well, 3D Coat is the only app that it happens with. And my hardware is way more than sufficient to handle 3D Coat. i7 3770k, 560ti, 32gb ram. My temps never go above 45, average is 38ish.

It does not matter whether it only happens with 3D Coat or not. The application has no way to make hardware sounds or make PC parts overheat. It can only put a load on the CPU or GPU. That's it. If your hardware makes a noise when it's under a load, then again...it's not the developer's fault/responsibility. We fuss if 3D Coat doesn't fully use our hardware and now we fuss when it does. With that being the case, how in the world can Andrew keep his sanity? Edited by AbnRanger

The hissing sound in electronic devices usually happens with transistors or their radiators after few years of using that device. When they work in idle mode they are silent but when you start to load them with high power they start to produce noise. I had such problem with my old CRT monitor few years ago. And that was common issue with early CRT TV sets.

I completely agree. In the case of DPR, it's the small blocks of white on a mostly black / dark gray background that causes buzzing, probably stemming from how refresh rates and liquid crystal technology in general interact. My thought was this could be the case with 3D Coat if the color scheme had been radically customized to something the monitor didn't like.

'Edit Projections in External Editor' doesn't seem to work right. Any painting done in Photoshop doesn't show up in the 3DC viewport afterwords, but the strange thing is that if you re-project the same model again at a different angle it will show the paint in photoshop as if it was applied. Regular strokes in the viewport work fine though (the layer itself isn't hidden or anything like that).

Hopefully this gets fixed soon so I can try it before my trial runs out, as that feature is the only reason I decided to try 3DCoat again.

I remember a user once complained about the same thing a long time ago, and it was related to the computer speakers. Try turning them off completely and see if that helps.

Also, along the same topic, I used a Wacom Cintiq 22HD for a while and it constantly made a very high-pitched noise when it was on. It was a very quiet noise, but once you clued in on it, it became supremely annoying. I use a 21UX now, and it doesn't have that problem.

'Edit Projections in External Editor' doesn't seem to work right. Any painting done in Photoshop doesn't show up in the 3DC viewport afterwords, but the strange thing is that if you re-project the same model again at a different angle it will show the paint in photoshop as if it was applied. Regular strokes in the viewport work fine though (the layer itself isn't hidden or anything like that).

Hopefully this gets fixed soon so I can try it before my trial runs out, as that feature is the only reason I decided to try 3DCoat again.

Hard to say exactly what's going on with it, but I do recall one little glitch the last time I was working between the two. Overall it seemed like a pretty good connection between the two.

Here's a video that covers the live connection, to some degree:

Honestly, I am not sure what to tell you guys other than it ONLY happens in 3D Coat, fresh install. No custom anything. And nothing loaded. Blank scene. Speakers unplugged. Also, it only starts after I exit the splash screen. And the sound is definitely originating from within the tower. I am going to install the previous beta (if I can still DL it?) and try that again, because I only noticed this happening in beta 15A.

Sometime ago I received some gentle ribbing for having mentioned a feint scratching noise when I used my Wacom pen in 3DC. Thankfully, it no longer occurs but then the tinnitus I acquired from naval gunfire years ago may just overwhelm it. My suggestion: ignore it and some build in the future will see it disappear. Come to think of it, I may have replaced my MB since then.