3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

Can someone check the Shift tool in Voxels room, please? I cannot adjust the Strength for this tool and it is very high. Steps to reproduce:

1. File-->New-->Voxels Sculpting

2. Chose any base shape

3. Select Shift Tool in Surface set.

4. Try to use and try to adjust strength.

Version 4.0.05H

Edited by Vipera

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, I noticed my posts disappeared too, maybe some failure on server.

Regarding friize modifier - how is better ? Use Freeze as one of SHIFT or CTRL SHIFT modifiers? Or there is better idea?

I'd prefer the F key, because it would make it so much faster to access freezing (in both Sculpting and in Paint Room).

• Advanced Member

Yes, I noticed my posts disappeared too, maybe some failure on server.

Regarding friize modifier - how is better ? Use Freeze as one of SHIFT or CTRL SHIFT modifiers? Or there is better idea?

Sticky keys would be best IMO, that way you switch into a tool while pressing the key and then back to prior tool when released...It would be useful for any tool.

Try it out in Photoshop, it works great...

• Advanced Member

I'd prefer the F key, because it would make it so much faster to access freezing (in both Sculpting and in Paint Room).

F key works for me...but I still think sticky keys are the way to go

• Reputable Contributor

F key works for me...but I still think sticky keys are the way to go

I do like sticky keys, but you can't move about the model with a 3DConnexion device if you have to hold a key while applying a mask/freeze selection. Not a huge issue, but a regular hotkey would be better, IMHO.

• Advanced Member

I do like sticky keys, but you can't move about the model with a 3DConnexion device if you have to hold a key while applying a mask/freeze selection. Not a huge issue, but a regular hotkey would be better, IMHO.

Do you mean, you want a default key to switch to the freeze tool or do you want something like the 'v' eyedropper in paint mode, where it's only present while you're holding down the key?

The way they do it in Photoshop which I think is pretty clever, is they make it so that if you just tap the key, you'll switch over to that tool until you change the tool to something else.  However if you hold it, it will go into sticky key mode and only be in that mode while the key is held down, then automatically go back to your prior tool when you let go of the key.

It would be great for the move tool, hide tool, cutoff tool and a lot more.  If stick keys were made global to all tool related hotkeys in the program and lets say it would check to see if you've held down the key for a minimum of .7 seconds or something like that before going into sticky key mode.  Any less and you'd just switch over to tool until you manually changed it.  You can try it out in Photoshop with just about any hotkey, like lasso, or rotate canvas or brush, gradient, you name it.

Let me know if that would work with the 3DConnexion, or if you were thinking of something different.

Edited by gbball
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Do you mean, you want a default key to switch to the freeze tool or do you want something like the 'v' eyedropper in paint mode, where it's only present while you're holding down the key?

The way they do it in Photoshop which I think is pretty clever, is they make it so that if you just tap the key, you'll switch over to that tool until you change the tool to something else.  However if you hold it, it will go into sticky key mode and only be in that mode while the key is held down, then automatically go back to your prior tool when you let go of the key.

It would be great for the move tool, hide tool, cutoff tool and a lot more.  If stick keys were made global to all tool related hotkeys in the program and lets say it would check to see if you've held down the key for a minimum of .7 seconds or something like that before going into sticky key mode.  Any less and you'd just switch over to tool until you manually changed it.  You can try it out in Photoshop with just about any hotkey, like lasso, or rotate canvas or brush, gradient, you name it.

Let me know if that would work with the 3DConnexion, or if you were thinking of something different.

I think assigning the F key to the Freeze tool (both in the Voxel room and Paint Room) is a good default action and then if held down more than 1 second, it could work as a sticky key.

• Advanced Member

I think assigning the F key to the Freeze tool (both in the Voxel room and Paint Room) is a good default action and then if held down more than 1 second, it could work as a sticky key.

Agreed

• Contributor

Everyone has a different key having a different action, it's not really an issue to change to match your use (for isntance I deactivate F: frame navigation and use F as "flatten brush"). But I would like to emphasize on two things;

-F: I'm not against it, but by default it's "frame" in navigation, if you chose F makes sure it's not duplicated somewhere else.

-ANDREW: I was supporting the idea of having freeze on shift/ctrl+shift menu, it's a good idea, but I just thought about something: we can't invert the masking.

Ctrl would be the invert so in the case of ctrl+shift it can't be inverted. And if it's shift > adding ctrl =ctrl+shift action.

Same goes if you add sticky behaviour it means it needs to take a modifier key into account for invert action.

Otherwise all your efforts will be wasted because we'll need to use the freeze tool to get the invert action.

So there's an issue here. We need to discuss this.

My take on this:

In symmetry: make "move symmetry axis" shortcut (default: tab) customizable as it's currently hardcoded and then use tab as the masking key. Use ctrl+tab as invert masking. Sticky behaviour would be best :)

• Reputable Contributor

Anybody else tried Artman's presets and found the first "Skin" preset to be destructive (punching a hole all the way through the mesh, even though the depth value is low)? I can't use it....it bogs the app down and I end up having to kill the app in Windows Task Manager

• Contributor

Anybody else tried Artman's presets and found the first "Skin" preset to be destructive (punching a hole all the way through the mesh, even though the depth value is low)? I can't use it....it bogs the app down and I end up having to kill the app in Windows Task Manager

no problem here...

what polycount is sculpt you are using?

does it happens with default sphere?

• Contributor

Not on a sphere. Was working on an older model with some LiveClay work done on it.

EDIT: I right-clicked the layer > to Global Space and tried again. Now it works ok. Weird stuff

probably older Liveclay created issues in topology.Now that Andrew did a lot of fixes all  presets feel safe on my side.

Everyone has a different key having a different action, it's not really an issue to change to match your use (for isntance I deactivate F: frame navigation and use F as "flatten brush"). But I would like to emphasize on two things;

-F: I'm not against it, but by default it's "frame" in navigation, if you chose F makes sure it's not duplicated somewhere else.

-ANDREW: I was supporting the idea of having freeze on shift/ctrl+shift menu, it's a good idea, but I just thought about something: we can't invert the masking.

Ctrl would be the invert so in the case of ctrl+shift it can't be inverted. And if it's shift > adding ctrl =ctrl+shift action.

Same goes if you add sticky behaviour it means it needs to take a modifier key into account for invert action.

Otherwise all your efforts will be wasted because we'll need to use the freeze tool to get the invert action.

So there's an issue here. We need to discuss this.

My take on this:

In symmetry: make "move symmetry axis" shortcut (default: tab) customizable as it's currently hardcoded and then use tab as the masking key. Use ctrl+tab as invert masking. Sticky behaviour would be best :)

I will do sticky keys. It will work in 2 ways:

- if you will activate tool or preset via hotkey and keep it pressed then after unpressing it will return to initial tool

- if you will press hotkey to activate tool and then press it again, 3dc will return to initial tool.

Just the problem when switching between tools - radius may vary because it is stored per tool.

• Contributor

- if you will activate tool or preset via hotkey and keep it pressed then after unpressing it will return to initial tool

- if you will press hotkey to activate tool and then press it again, 3dc will return to initial tool.

Just the problem when switching between tools - radius may vary because it is stored per tool.

Andrew waht if user does not select "remember radius" in preferences ??  should work fine this way at least.

as for my presets I did not store any radius in them.

• Contributor

In n°1: Does it mean that if I press "f" (example) keep pressed and then press ctrl, I get a sticky key "invert action" freeze ?

• Contributor

Cool, sounds perfect.

I insist on tab though: giving the ability to use the key with something else than move axis plane would be very much appreciated (the key is under used, and in the perfect  finger zone for quick access).

It could be used to trigger different stroke abilities for example with shortcut stacking and presets.

• Advanced Member

Cool, sounds perfect.

I insist on tab though: giving the ability to use the key with something else than move axis plane would be very much appreciated (the key is under used, and in the perfect  finger zone for quick access).

It could be used to trigger different stroke abilities for example with shortcut stacking and presets.

This would be best, move move axis plane could be set to a key combination, since it's not used that much.

Allowing Tab to be set for freeze or whatever other key the user wants to make it.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Also, a repeat last E Panel stroke key would be great...I think CTRL+Enter would be ideal.

If you've ever used the marquee tool to draw a shape only to realize you didn't have your settings right, this would allow you to ctrl+z to undo your mistake, fix your settings, then ctrl+Enter to reapply the stroke with the correct settings...saving your from having to redraw the shape a second time.

Each e-panel mode should retain it's last stroke - pen tools could all be the same, then each marquee tool would keeps it's own previous stroke in memory. Kind of like the way new precise stroke already works.

Maybe you could add a modifier key such as Shift to define whether the redraw would be screen based or geometry based which would be useful in case you move your camera.

The "Fill" Tool works best when your Voxel mesh is still at a relatively low resolution.  If you've started in Voxels, from scratch, you would naturally be working from low resolution to high - adding more detail (resolution) only as you need it.  Somewhere in the range from very low to medium resolution, the "Fill" Tool remains effective - after this it acts more like "Smooth".

In fact, the influence or "strength" of many tools begins to diminish as the Voxel resolution increases.

Trying to work from the beginning with very high resolution Voxel or Surface shapes turns out not to be very practical, in the long run.

Greg Smith

• Contributor

Andrew - If you are still doing tweaks to brushes, then it would be cool to increased Fill tool strenght by 10x. Right now it need ridiculously big values to get nice effect. thx

yeah,sorry I know 10000 is ridiculous :D .Andrew can probably adjust it so same strength can be hold inside the 0-100 values.

• Advanced Member

After sculpting for awhile, powerful smooth starts decimating the mesh way too much. Not sure if anyone has run into the same problem, and I'm not sure how to really recreate it, but it's happened on a couple sketches I've played with.

Also, as a personal preference, is there a way to not have the depth indicator on some of Artman's presets go crazy? at 12% the depth indicator is practically off screen. (honestly I'd like the option to just turn off the depth indicator in both the sculpting and paint rooms, it's too distracting for my tastes).