3D Coat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

If Andrew can solve the large brush radius lag and build a more efficient, robust layering system (including some sort of layer cache), I think he opens up an entirely new market...Film.

I don't think so.

As i already told in this forum and especially to you AbnRanger , there's much more than only performance optimization.

The lake of a PROPER Mutli-tile support is one of the reason.

Now may be with the Angelscript (another reason) it's possible to create a bunch of tools to make the process easier.

Still i really like 3DCoat as a modeling tool, i found it really good for this.

Cheers,

Pixo

Edited by pixo

I don't think so.

As i already told in this forum and especially to you AbnRanger , there's much more than only performance optimization.

The lake of a PROPER Mutli-tile support is one of the reason.

Now may be with the Angelscript (another reason) it's possible to create a bunch of tools to make the process easier.

Still i really like 3DCoat as a modeling tool, i found it really good for this.

Cheers,

Pixo

Why would "lack of proper tiling"...as you put it...be a hindrance to doing film or cinematic texture work? Tiling is just another technique....just another way to skin the same cat. Most 3D Apps use UV sets the way 3D Coat utilizes them. Instead of spreading the UV maps out on the table, as it were, 3D Coat and those apps simply stack the UV's in the 0-1 texture space. Sure you can work with tiles in apps like Max and Maya, but it takes a specific workflow to use them. Max, by default stacks all UV's in the 0-1 space, just like 3D Coat does.

Mari is the standard at this point, not because of features, but performance. That's it's bread and butter. Take that performance out of the equation and Mari would be no better than 3D Coat, Mudbox or BodyPaint, IMO. Both apps have their strengths and unique tools, but also limitations.

Edited by AbnRanger

By the way i'm not talking for video game, freelancer or hobbyist.

In my experience of 3dCoat, Mudbox and Mari , i have to not be agree with you.

"Tiling is just another technique"

Yes it is, but this is the most used by the "Film industry" (there is a reason for that, to me it's the most efficient at the moment) and 3D Coat doesn't handle it properly.

We used Multi-tiling longtime before Mari came on the market.

If Mari is a standard now it's just mainly because it fills the lack of current tools on this field.

Anyway there's much more than only multi-tiles support, you also have:

-Import animated camera

-Import animated mesh (sequence of obj, i guess they will implement alembic really soon)

-animated textures

-versioned meshes

-OpenColorIO

-hdri (Paint Through only )

-SDK for custom shader

-Python SDK

-Strong support

Anyway there's even more, but it was just to underline that optimizations is not the biggest problem in a proper pipeline.

Personally i really like 3DCoat but i'm using it just for modeling at home (i'm not working as modeler).

Kind,

Pixo

• Like 1

bug in paintroom.

pls follow these steps

use bucket tool.

add custom . .

load a texture in the colour channel

change from cubic to UV mapping

fill is 100% black.

render room

realtime render dont take any shader changes

rotation angle / light height

the display only refresh changes done in the first ligth

any another light dont show the changes, you need to set the 1st light level to ZERO

------------------------------------------------

Live clay brush settings

Alphas: rotate alpha along stroke isnt working

----------------------------------------------

And now... The BIG question

Why if any feature was working fine in early version, suddenly is broke after any release ?

Why -like example- is render room realtime broked, if there wasnt done any change in the code from this room ?

Edited by carlosa

oh, mi madre !!! :wacko:

Mari = $1995 :(

3D-Coat = $349 :)

Mari = The Foundary :wacko:

3D-Coat = Andrew :)

A double win for 3D-Coat in my opinion. Looking forward to the v4 release Andrew.

A double win for 3D-Coat in my opinion. Looking forward to the v4 release Andrew.

What about ZBrush?

Haha. Foundry is not wacko. But the price is quite steep. I don't like Mari.

They don't have real 3d brush for painting. I don't like projection painting method. 3Dcoat is as close to photoshop in 3D so far. Sorry its just my preference.

Mari is used in films but mostly on major studios which are going bankcrupt left and right. Small to medium shops can't afford a dedicated painting tool. Even bodypaint with c4d would suffice in most studios. Mudbox and zbrush are more common in studios. But 3dcoat has a lot of potential to target small to medium studios. And its enough imho, Andrew can live a very good lifestyle without trying so hard targetting the highend market. My former boss who was independent and had his own company made a killing designing small corporate interiors and drove a merc meanwhile another architect at a super known firm was working as associate architect but driving a toyota. Lol.

Looking forward to v4.

Edited by geo_n

ZBrushs layers only support vertex colors, not pixel-based textures (projection master / ZAppLink), and have no blending modes at all. It's still very useable though:

Aside from 3DC, Mari, Mud, and ZBrush, there's actually quite a few 3D painting apps out if you want to compare (especially if you count discontinued apps):

BodyPaint3D

3DSMax Viewport Canvas / Marius Projection Painter / Textools

Photoshop Extended 3D Paint

Blender

Modo

Sculptris

Maya 3D Paint Tool

Future Paint 3D (discontinued)

Blacksmith 3D (discontinued)

CrackArt (discontinued)

Deep Paint 3D (discontinued)

painter 3d (discontinued)

Tattoo (discontinued)

Amazon Paint 3D (discontinued. One of the first 3D Paint apps ever made, ran on SGI systems)

Just to add to the discussion...

I tried Mari and it choked on a 3 million poly mesh....so its a no go for me as even if Im doing gameart I like to paint the hipoly and then bake both color and normal map simultaneously. What Mari seems to be great for is vast amount of textures and very big sized textures.....which I dont need.

I like using Mudbox and then use 3DCoat clone brush on a slighly lower subdlevel,I use 3DCoat clone brush because its the only clone brush in all painting apps that does not sample the screen but the Uv sheet and I think its a pretty extraordinary V4 feature.I also do all my shader baking in 3DCoat as its much more straightforward and powerful than 3DS max "render to texture". Also 3DCoat got tons of little texturing tools that both Mudbox and Mari dont have...so most of the times I send a lower subd from MB to access those great tools....In a sense I work in Mudbox but I use 3DC as if it was Photoshop.

I think 3DCoat painting is really optimized for gameart (layered 4k/2k maps) and it gives access to interaction with normal map that is still unbeaten.

And vertex painting is fantastic for 3DConcept art which a lot of studios are doing more and more nowadays in Zbrush...I think if those people would be aware of how powerful 3DC vertex painting is they would do it in 3DC instead of Zbrush.A lot of people dismiss vertex paint as being useless I think they are just unaware of of much it is currently used in production at the design/concept stage because of its great adaptability to art direction changes.

I dont think 3DC will ever be able to compete with Mari regarding film industry...for ex:adding support for painting animated meshes would be pretty absurd to implement in 3DC IMO...I mean those kind of features are probably developed by entire teams of programmers and Mari is entirely dedicated to this kind of stuff anyway....it would be like asking Mari developers to add voxel sculpting or retopo tools...just my opinion here :).

I used to love Deep Paint 3D

T.

Me too. That was the 3D Texturing tool I was using when I decided to switch to 3D Coat (back when V3 was being first released). It's a real shame they let that app rot on the vine like that. They just stopped developing and they never created a single video tutorial to get users up to speed. Had to rely on a single video that 3DBuzz created for it. A lot features in it, 3D Coat has also...simultaneous (depth/spec/color) channel/map painting and Photoshop style layout

What about ZBrush?

ZBrush is cool too! $699, but so far I haven't had to pay for an upgrade, and there have been some major upgrades since I first purchased it.

Edited by bisenberger

What about ZBrush?

ZBrush is cool too! $699, but so far I haven't had to pay for an upgrade, and there have been some major upgrades since I first purchased it.

We are talking about painting...you can't do real texture work in Zbrush,there is no blending modes and polypaint layers are very rudimentary at this point.

As i mentioned earlier for freelancer or may be for video game, 3D Coat is may be more than enough.

3DCoat is an amazing tool, but for "Film industry" it doesn't fill the production standard needs.

Which is normal since 3DCoat is doing more than just texturing.

By the way Mari/Foundry support is amazing ... sorry to not be agree with you guys.

Kind,

Pixo

Edited by pixo

Speaking of painting in 3DC, I've added links to the top three painting issues I'd really like to see something done about in my Sig. If they bother anyone else please comment/vote on them. :)

sorry but... freelancer, video game and TV commercials spots.

work using 3D-Coat is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaast

Mari... well...if you need to paint 20 layers groups, with 15/20 layers every group, using 4K +8K textures... just for a SECONDARY actor... yes

Well only being able to handle up to 2k maps is fine for the moment, but very soon assets that used to have 1k and 2k maps will be using 4k and 8k instead, thanks to the upcoming console generation having tons of high speed memory (or at least PS4).

webmaster: something is wrong with quoting on forum :)

Hey man. I believe they are the same colour. I'll alert Vladimir.

Hey man. I believe they are the same colour. I'll alert Vladimir.

As a temporary solution, you can change the theme, it is on the very bottom left of the page.