3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

After sculpting for awhile, powerful smooth starts decimating the mesh way too much. Not sure if anyone has run into the same problem, and I'm not sure how to really recreate it, but it's happened on a couple sketches I've played with.

Also, as a personal preference, is there a way to not have the depth indicator on some of Artman's presets go crazy? at 12% the depth indicator is practically off screen. (honestly I'd like the option to just turn off the depth indicator in both the sculpting and paint rooms, it's too distracting for my tastes).

You can turn off the depth indicator in preferences.

about Powerful smooth:

it is is surprising that you get this issue because Powerful smoothing does not reduce the topology it average it using sampled resolution of start of stroke.Please post screenshot.

Thanks, Andrew. This is a nice build. 

+1 for sticky keys.

Some additional tweaks for future consideration:

1. Include the Freeze menu options in the Tool Options window.

2. Windows (like the Symmetry and Presets) should allow for selection highlighting when an item is selected. So, if the X Symmetry is selected or you are using a particular Preset, a quick glance will tell you that info. Sometimes when you have a long list of Presets, it's easy to forget which Preset is in use.  

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

You can turn off the depth indicator in preferences.

about Powerful smooth:

it is is surprising that you get this issue because Powerful smoothing does not reduce the topology it average it using sampled resolution of start of stroke.Please post screenshot.

It looks like I just didn't understand powerful smooth enough Artman. Indeed the areas where I was starting my smoothing were really low poly density and were decimating heavy density areas because of that. Thanks for the quick lesson and letting me know you can turn off the depth indicator :D

• Advanced Member

I find I'm getting way more artifacts when I sculpt using Voxel mode in this build.  It seems like Surface mode got a lot of enhancements at the cost of Voxel mode becoming worse...

If I get time, I'll put up screenshots.

Collapse Short Edges option

If the Collapse Short Edges option is enabled, edges within the brush area that are shorter than 2/5 of the detail size will be collapsed.

With this option enabled, the mesh topology will become more even with fewer long skinny triangles.

It will, however, also erase any details smaller than the detail size.

Is this option implemented ?

cant find it

ty

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the 5H Linux Andrew, is there any way to improve the Stamp mode because it is very hard to get sharp, good quality stamps even with the Detail cranked right up, I have been using LC>BuildClay with the stamp mode, it seems to work better with smaller brush sizes than larger sizes.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the 5H Linux Andrew, is there any way to improve the Stamp mode because it is very hard to get sharp, good quality stamps even with the Detail cranked right up, I have been using LC>BuildClay with the stamp mode, it seems to work better with smaller brush sizes than larger sizes.

T.

Yes, I agree. A +1 as we need to be able to go beyond 5 or manually 10.  Version 3.7 had no limitation of the detail number you could manually type in. This worked very well for larger stamps on less resolution (polygons) models in surface mode.

@ Tser, For right now you can use the new subdivide brush above the draw brush to selectively paint an area, then subdivide that area a few times to get enough detail in that area for your larger stamps. The new subdivide brush does a fairly good job of not wrinkling the mesh through the process of subdivision as it uses loop subdivision on the painted selection.

Of course there is the add detail or extra detail in the top drop down menus using the shift key or ctrl + shift keys that works with your currently selected brush.

The new subdivide brush is a great addition and I like it very much.

• Advanced Member

The "Fill" Tool works best when your Voxel mesh is still at a relatively low resolution. 

Probably Andrew can make brush strength depending on voxels resolution on which brush works at the current moment. In this case we can always keep brush strength within 0-100. So, if voxel resolution is 1 and we set brush strength as 10 when we increase voxels resolution on x2 it will internally multiply brush strength  x10  and get finally brush strength as 100 . Voxels resolution x3  -   Brush Strength 1000, etc.

Edited by Vipera

• Advanced Member

@ Tser, For right now you can use the new subdivide brush above the draw brush to selectively paint an area, then subdivide that area a few times to get enough detail in that area for your larger stamps. The new subdivide brush does a fairly good job of not wrinkling the mesh through the process of subdivision as it uses loop subdivision on the painted selection.

Yep, that's what I have done in the past, but its a real pain when you have a lot of stamping to do, I generally increase the entire sculpts resolution to get the finer details, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of this dynamic tessellated work-flow?

What really would be better is dynamic tessellation to be added to the needed areas of the stamp (alpha) so we can have geometry generated where we need it, on the edges and curves produced by the stamp.

Edited by Tser

• Reputable Contributor

Yep, that's what I have done in the past, but its a real pain when you have a lot of stamping to do, I generally increase the entire sculpts resolution to get the finer details, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of this dynamic tessellated work-flow?

What really would be better is dynamic tessellation to be added to the needed areas of the stamp (alpha) so we can have geometry generated where we need it, on the edges and curves produced by the stamp.

Yes, I again very much agree... The ability to increase the detail level without limitation for alpha stamps needs to be reinstated. I am not sure the reason it is limited in version 4.

Testing 4.0.05H - Thanks for the update!

I haven't had actually time to touch v4 yet nearly at all, but today after installing 4.0.05H had time to doodle a bit.

First impressions:

+ Artman presets are welcome addition.

- However, after little while of brushing with Surface mode & LiveClay tools (while going through the list of brushes from top to bottom), it feels like there should be overall add and reduce sliders which would be available all the time, and they would control all the brushes; Whenever I would use a tool which will add detail, it would be controlled by this value/slider - Same would be true for reduction operations. Now tools have default "Detail" values like 0.4, 1.2, 3.0. (not sure if using presets changes these).

EDIT: In general, what I'm after is global control for uniform level of reduction and addition of detail to mesh, now I constantly tap "W" to see wires, to see how much detail brush "added". Also,  each brush could have it's own slider values and additional "override" checkbox to override global values.

Edited by blobby

• Advanced Member

New Split&Joints tool in Voxels modeling (surface mode).

When I check in 'Complex joint profile' to setup a custom curve I'm having a problem to move the very right point on the curve. Sometimes it moves but usually it does not move.

• Advanced Member

Really impressed with the new brush engine, Andrew and Artman, great great work...I feel like I'm just thinking and the forms are coming out the way I want...I barely even notice the brush.

Did this in just over an hour today, playing around with the new tools...mostly the new rapid2 brush.

Artman, you should be in charge of the brush feel.

render.png

• Like 3

Updated to 4.0.06 [beta]

- sticky keys implemented. Description -

You may define a hotkey to almost any action that you may perform via UI. To define a hotkey please hover your cursor over the required action and press the END key. Then press the required keys combination. Keys can be specific for the current room or even a tool. One key may be assigned to multiple actions or tools simultaneously (called Stacked Keys). Stacked Keys allows you to cycle through multiple tools with a single hotkey. If you defined a single action, tool or preset to a key, then you can use Sticky Keys. Pressing the key will activate tool and if you continue to hold it then release, it will activate the previous tool. In such a way you may temporarily activate some tool like freeze for example. With Sticky Keys, if you activate tool via hotkey and press the assigned key again, it will re-activate the previously used tool. Sticky keys does not work with Stacked Keys.

- Hint may be assigned to any preset

- Artman's presets updated.

- Pinch improved a lot - now it applies displacement + more accurate + separate pressure curves for depth and pinch

- Brushes improved even more, rotation stabilisation improved, now Rapid brush is very accurate and nice.

- Sync with Photoshop/other psd editors keeps correct visibility of layers exchange.

- Baking is more clean now, especially on thin surfaces and harsurface geometry and on seams.

- dot instead of cross cursor.

• Like 1

• Contributor

So thanks Andrew, that's one I'm gonna close myself :)

With that change you beat zbrush and mudbox regarding customization/shortcuts. In zbrush to achieve the stacking you need to create macros, and sticky keys are locked to specfic tools (masks/hide/trim/slice tools). Good job :) definitely something that will be appreciated in studios.

Yeah Preset Hilighting \o/

Pinch is MUCH better, finally can pinch precises edges without affecting the whole surrounding in the process (before that pinching strength was relative to brush size). Tnx a lot for that.

You're really getting there Andrew, I don't know the extent of your collaboration with Artman but it really helps 3dcoat that's for sure.

With the last update and this one I use rapid2 brush almost 80% of the time as it can build shapes, polish them and flatten them (helpful for creating ridges and all).

I can't say that "old school" hard surface sculpting (without using curves and "automatic" tools only by hand) is not possible anymore :) I'm sure digital sculptors (as In toy makers for instance) will enjoy those changes.

One thing I noticed though: dot cursor is nice but I can't recall if I noticed it before or not: I get the mouse cursor visible too.

• Contributor

Preset highlighted! :)

I am a bit confused about Artmans update,do you mean the tools on the left hand side,the included settings! OR the set of presets in the "Resources " download?

Good work!

no,only in preset tab...i will update the one on website right now.

• Advanced Member

Is it possible to lock the brush radius? When using the splines tool, right clicking the points to convert them to hard edges ALWAYS changes the size of my brush. It would be nice if there were a way to avoid this as I'm having to manually type in the radius every time I want to apply a stroke.

• Contributor

Is it possible to lock the brush radius? When using the splines tool, right clicking the points to convert them to hard edges ALWAYS changes the size of my brush. It would be nice if there were a way to avoid this as I'm having to manually type in the radius every time I want to apply a stroke.

hmm...rigth click does not affect radius size on my side(if I dont move pen of course)...strange issue....

One thing I noticed though: dot cursor is nice but I can't recall if I noticed it before or not: I get the mouse cursor visible too.

It s a bug...

• Contributor

And I wasn't sure about the usefulness of moveDegree (you may want to watch the width of those controls btw, the text tends to be cut) as I thought it would be a bit like playing with falloff, but it's more subtle than that, and it helps to make subtle changes to the shapes (very nice for organic shapes and correcting wavy edges resulting of fast shape building).

Good addition too.

@Andrew: did you change something to smooth ? It may be my imagination, but I'm under the impression it relax tris better  when used between large/medium density areas. Like I've less need to use tangent smooth to erase small surface noise.