3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

I can't recall exactly what I was doing at the time, but i was using the beta prior to 4.06A and it hard crashed on me...cursor wouldn't move and I had to reboot.  I installed the old stable release after that.

• Contributor

Thank :)

I answered that question a few pages ago (but AbnRanger encountered issue which created quite a few pages of discussion, you may want to look into it) 

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10395&page=107#entry96999

the jagged surface issue is just because he is not using a depth shader....

sorry but i know about 3DC because voxel mode

i buyed 3DC because voxel mode

all my model was done using voxel mode

and just recently im beginning to use sculpt/Lc mode because stability is more fixed

voxel mode surpasses any dynotopo / dynamesh option in any other apps

so please

1- dont touch voxel mode -is GREAT-

2-add more brush types to voxel mode

• Reputable Contributor

Concerning an automatic reordering of our voxel mesh to a surface mode triangle structure I would rather it be added as an option because of the below.

I sometimes switch to surface mode and use the brushes without remove stretching. Every few strokes I press enter to reorder the mesh based upon the voxel order and remove any minor stretching. I then can switch back to voxel mode seamlessly without having to put in a voxel number plus I get no artifacts that way either.

I agree the mesh order of voxels is not suited for surface mode work. The shader type is not the problem of the strokes looking funky but the triangle order of the voxel mesh. It needs to be reordered for surface mode work when switching from voxel mode as an option to the user.

post-518-0-99487500-1374334019_thumb.png

• Contributor

and just recently im beginning to use sculpt/Lc mode because stability is more fixed

so please

Please carlosan you don't need to make those post, I don't decide of anything, this hasn't been discussed, I'm expressing a personal opinion which I know is not shared by many (and even doing so I know I'm wrong because as always: I'm for OPTIONS ^^), so stop being dramatical please  :p:

• Contributor

Concerning an automatic reordering of our voxel mesh to a surface mode triangle structure I would rather it be added as an option because of the below.

I sometimes switch to surface mode and use the brushes without remove stretching. Every few strokes I press enter to reorder the mesh based upon the voxel order and remove any minor stretching. I then can switch back to voxel mode seamlessly without having to put in a voxel number plus I get no artifacts that way either.

In a way or another, someone is annoyed. The sane solution would be to make the process invisible. If it's not possible then make it clear (by UI visual langage for instance) that a conversion function exists for surface mode.

Clean surface function is lost between many other, reordering-moving the function in a place where it's more visible and clearly pointing that it's an important function after what you just did (switch mode)  would help.

• Reputable Contributor

Don't worry, voxels will not be removed but IMO surface mode is 100x better.

To get nice transition voxels -> surface use Smooth all and check "Tangent".

That is what I informed other users a few post back on page 108... post 2158. Maybe it needs to be set as an option when switching to surface mode... A new user would not be aware of the smooth all tool and what it does for the transition from voxel mode to surface mode triangle structure... Please keep it as option because of what I wrote in post number... 2186

• Contributor

Don't worry, voxels will not be removed but IMO surface mode is 100x better.

To get nice transition voxels -> surface use Smooth all and check "Tangent".

In that case it's hidden (clearly if the user doesn't know the software he won't find it) therefore all he'll discover upon entering surface mode (with default startup mesh !) is a jagged mesh, because by default removestretching is not enabled too.

Proposal: make it more visible. A popup dialog is not a good idea: it'll interrupt workflow for those switching back and forth between modes. And if the user doesn't get the hint it's there he'll just "deal with it", and that will hurt 3dc image as surface sculpt app.

• Reputable Contributor

so please

The brushes in Voxel mode need to be matched to it's counterparts in Surface mode, to the fullest extent possible. Otherwise, it not only is frustrating for all users to have brushes with the same name, behaving completely different, but it's unnecessarily confusing to new and prospective users. For example...I have NEVER used the Clay brush in Voxel mode. To be completely frank....it's crap. Way too jagged of a result to be even remotely useful. Same with Carve. Totally useless, IMHO.

• Like 1

• Contributor

:)

I was ranting the other day, the progress is amazing so I won't add much more to this, but I totally agree.

Vox Clay is behaving completely differently depending on radius and resolution of mesh. If you're using it on low res you eat the surface even with high depth. Do the same with higher density mesh it behaves ok-ish. 

Carve is a very brutal tool, almost uncontrollable, it's function is exactly like sphere minus the options. Why not merge ?

There's a lot more to this.

• Reputable Contributor

In that case it's hidden (clearly if the user doesn't know the software he won't find it) therefore all he'll discover upon entering surface mode (with default startup mesh !) is a jagged mesh, because by default removestretching is not enabled too.

Proposal: make it more visible. A popup dialog is not a good idea: it'll interrupt workflow for those switching back and forth between modes. And if the user doesn't get the hint it's there he'll just "deal with it", and that will hurt 3dc image as surface sculpt app.

It could be added as a check box at the top of of the interface, maybe the first time you switch to surface mode it would ask you, but only once and with a pop up text to tell you why you want to use it. Once checked or not checked it will not ask you again for that scene.

An automatic conversion would not be good for all situations as explained earlier.

Just throwing out ideas here....

• Like 1

• Contributor

It could be added as a check box at the top of of the interface, maybe the first time you switch to surface mode it would ask you, but only once and with a pop up text to tell you why you want to use it. An automatic would not be good for all situations... Just throwing out ideas here...

Not a bad idea, but as for mode switching, I saw that many newbie don't even read the first message (their problem I know but still ^^).

It's not that big of a deal but I've another concern: the top bar is starting to get very crowded: some controls are getting cut. This brings me to the eternal "move most of those in the brush options panel ^^. But I'm just kicking it forward.

• Reputable Contributor

I use Carve daily.  I don't find it useless at all, but that's my opinion.  I never use the clay brush.

I always used only the BUILD brush, AIRBRUSH, and sometimes when I need slow, smooth building of a stroke, I would use GROW, but CARVE and CLAY I've always hated.....always. For years now.

• Contributor

I won't discard Carve even if I don't like it either, I'm sure it has it's use, what I don't like is seing basicaly "presets" of brushes in the tool tray, it doesn't make sense, basicaly the tool tray is the area were you get your different "behaviours", you don't need clones with sligthly different settings (that's the preset panel's job).

Some brushes are so similar (some with difference so small they don't deserve to be a tool on their own) they would greatly beneficiate from a merging with their other similar counterpart, even provides options on said newly created brush to emulate the old one (with presets now it's easy to create the brushes you want) if need be.

Just look at the tool tray: you need to scroll such a loooong list sometimes just to get an adjust option.

As always: I like options, I know about the spacebar menu, but it would make sense to get quick access with the tooltray too.

• Reputable Contributor

Not a bad idea, but as for mode switching, I saw that many newbie don't even read the first message (their problem I know but still ^^).

It's not that big of a deal but I've another concern: the top bar is starting to get very crowded: some controls are getting cut. This brings me to the eternal "move most of those in the brush options panel ^^. But I'm just kicking it forward.

I agree. Where the SHIFT and CTRL + SHIFT options are....it makes it hard to distinguish from the menu bar. I hate that location. And there are no tabs/dividers for the rooms. You have to have a contrasting color in your UI theme in order to see a division. Otherwise it looks like a long sentence up there. :D I mentioned this before, to Andrew, but it got ignored.

• Reputable Contributor

The Grow brush, I did not use very much till it got a depth setting like the other voxel brushes. It had at one time no depth setting. ouch... Was very hard to work with. I now use the grow brush alot at the start as you can quickly knock out major forms...

• Contributor

I did that, but I've a question: Is it the very first brush you would try as a new user ?

Probably not, you would go for the clay brush, because that ring the bell.

New user: try clay brush: what the h**** is that ?

I'm oversimplifying but that's basicaly what happens, first contact is of prime importance, especially when you're a "new product", the outsider, you can't rest on your fame, you need to convince the new user it's the tool he needs.

The tool list needs to be reduced in length, either by removing brushes (I would prefer to avoid, choices !), merging, renaming, or for the VERY special and specific brushes: hidden by default.

Not because it's fun, but for clarity, new users start a very powerful software and get thrown in front of a long list of tool, sometimes with strange names (sphere is strange, I expect the primitive, I get a spaghetti maker).

Power users can still "unhide" the brushes with the ui when they get confortable.

Again this is for very specific brushes, you don't want to amputate functionality.

• Reputable Contributor

I won't discard Carve even if I don't like it either, I'm sure it has it's use, what I don't like is seing basicaly "presets" of brushes in the tool tray, it doesn't make sense, basicaly the tool tray is the area were you get your different "behaviours", you don't need clones with sligthly different settings (that's the preset panel's job).

Some brushes are so similar (some with difference so small they don't deserve to be a tool on their own) they would greatly beneficiate from a merging with their other similar counterpart, even provides options on said newly created brush to emulate the old one (with presets now it's easy to create the brushes you want) if need be.

Just look at the tool tray: you need to scroll such a loooong list sometimes just to get an adjust option. As always: I like options, I know about the spacebar menu, but it would make sense to get quick access with the tooltray too.

Yeah...what I think would work best is using the same method as Photoshop, to hide all the variants of a brush/tool in a click menu. This would include hiding LiveClay variants. So, for example, you want a Clay brush, there would be one icon, but you click + hold to see a horizontal menu of Clay brush variants (Rapid brush, Mud, LiveClay, etc). Then Buildup would include Build Clay, and so on. Consolidate the major brush types into a clickable tray.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

"Totally useless, IMHO." were the words used.

Carve is totally useless to me. I have never, in over 5yrs + of using 3D Coat found a use for it. Same thing with the Clay brush in Voxel mode. Way too raw and jagged to be useful. To each his own, but I don't like working with brushes that require a lot of cleanup to use.

• Reputable Contributor

@AbnRanger

I didn't think of that (and I've been using photoshop for a few decades ;) ).

That's a brilliant idea. This way you can set the "solid/ready/expected" brushes in front, and set the variant in this sub menu.

Sorry, man....my sarcasm meter is broken right now.  :D