3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, I thought it was a bug...  I had tried a number of settings each giving their own set of buggy behaviour for the surface pinch tool.  Sometimes it acts more like the Rapid brush and then other times it digs a trench, LOL.  

I use the pinch tool without remove stretching but I tried both ways without remove stretching enabled and and remove stretching enabled. Each has it's own buggy behaviour...

Andrew, something must be wrong with the new pinch in Linux... This does not work at all, a bug maybe. 

Anyway, I love the old pinch, it was great, fantastic for sharping up edges as it pull material toward itself, you just had to create a fast falloff alpha for it...

The new pinch just digs a hole and pushes material up to a sharper ridge on each side... The opposite of pinching...

Please may we have as an option for the new pinch not to displace the surface, as I think this is the cause of what I am getting.

Shown in the pictures

New pinch in first picture, results shown and a horrible mess...

Second picture is old pinch, results shown.

You can see in the picture that I was able to pinch a nice ridge in the bumped up material on one side and pinch together some inverted strokes from another brush on the surface of the mesh..

The strength curve is buggy too. sometimes working, sometimes you can not re-adjust the curve setting.

Please show settings used (top bar screenshot).

Also, try to decrease degree, check if Invert action is not turned on.

• Reputable Contributor

Please show settings used (top bar screenshot).

Also, try to decrease degree, check if Invert action is not turned on.

Remember this is for the Linux version, as stated in the previous post.

Invert action was never on...

These are my preset settings I use for the pinch brush plus I have a fast falloff alpha. Never had a problem in any version with these settings...

I tested several settings and alphas.

Changed the strength settings to various degrees. Lower strength just takes more brush strokes to get the same effect.

Changed the depth settings to various degrees.  Same effect.

No matter the adjustments you make you get the same effect.

As stated I tried with and without remove stretching enabled. Remove stretching just softens the effect, that is all.

The pinch brush digs into the mesh and pushes the material outwardly... I tried to pinch some created groves (lower part of the mesh) made by another brush and you see what happens.

Sometimes it acts more like a Rapid2 brush on surfaces that are raised also shown in the upper part of the mesh.

The Edit pinch flow is big time buggy too as stated in the other post...

I uploaded the toobar settings and another picture to show the effect.

post-518-0-42337600-1376497156_thumb.png

post-518-0-92372700-1376497185_thumb.png

Edited by digman

Thanks for the latest Mac beta, Andrew. The new Pinch is very good so far in my limited testing.

My only suggestion is that the Rapid2 Buildup effect be strengthened. When using a pressure enabled brush with a Wacom pen, I need to have my Depth settings above 1000%. Editing the flatten curve to a high level will help, but I prefer less flattening on some of my brushes. 

• Reputable Contributor

Ok Andrew, I believe I found a possible reason for the pinch tool corruption.... It is in the preset system somewhere...

I bit the bullet and did a complete re-install. I will have to re-input my settings and redo my presets but that is the life of Beta testing...

The complete clean re-installed solved the pinch tool corruption. Yes, indeed the new pinch works great... :D

To reproduce the problem in Linux beta 4.0.06A, I removed Artman's new updated presets.

Next I loaded my presets which also included Artman's presets from version 4.0.05H

The pinch tool corruption returned...

Later I will send you my presets from version 4.0.05H for you to look at and test in the lastest version so you can see if the problem can be reproduced.

Again my presets had no corruption problems till version 4.0.06A... Older preset brushes used by other users have had problems as well with some brushes.

I can see as we get brush improvements in the Betas at times it will affect the preset system causing some brushes to stop functioning correctly.

This is not a problem in general as I am beta testing, my choice here... I just know that every once in awhile, I might have to re-do my presets.

Edited by digman

Confirmed - Vox Extrude converts model to surface +1

Also Clone not working (with merge to seperate instances on) = Clone several times, it appears to work until you press ENTER but only the first clone is created not the newly selected area to be cloned!! 

Edited by Psionic

• Advanced Member

I've just been sculpting a hand.I saved it into the Model tab by dragging it up from the Vox tab ,then flipped it and saved it again....so that's a right hand and a left hand.They both come back in as left and right,but the thumbnail in the tab shows them as being both the same. Confusing ...but I did rename the layer before saving, so generally thats ok. Something is obviously not catching up. Any thoughts?

• Reputable Contributor

I've just been sculpting a hand.I saved it into the Model tab by dragging it up from the Vox tab ,then flipped it and saved it again....so that's a right hand and a left hand.They both come back in as left and right,but the thumbnail in the tab shows them as being both the same. Confusing ...but I did rename the layer before saving, so generally thats ok. Something is obviously not catching up. Any thoughts?

I know...I hate that. I will save a head mesh like that and the thumbnail only shows the back of his head. Even after I fiddle with the orientation some (flipping it 180 degrees)...guess what? Still get the back of his head. I'm really getting sick of that. I can't tell what model or version it is, by looking at the back of his head.

I think the solution to the save file preview would be to take a screen cap (of the 3D viewport) at save time, instead of a capture from a fixed angle and relative distance from the items in the scene. That way the user can decide how and what the save file preview will look like.

Or at least make it an option in the options panel.

• Reputable Contributor

I think the solution to the save file preview would be to take a screen cap (of the 3D viewport) at save time, instead of a capture from a fixed angle and relative distance from the items in the scene. That way the user can decide how and what the save file preview will look like.

Or at least make it an option in the options panel.

+1

Thanks!

I got back from mountains successfully :)

I was working anyway there over quadrangulation, now it works much better

- even with automatic settings it produces good cage

- quads only in 99% cases, 1% easy to fix manually

- hardsurface auto-retopo

- open meshes auto-retopo

- retopo of external meshes (without voxelization)

- maybe a bit slower, but I think it worth it

I have a lot of ideas for semi-automatic retopo (sketch based), will implement all this a bit later, probably on Raul's return (in September I hope).

• Like 1

• Contributor

Thanks!

I got back from mountains successfully :)

I was working anyway there over quadrangulation, now it works much better

- even with automatic settings it produces good cage

- quads only in 99% cases, 1% easy to fix manually

- hardsurface auto-retopo

- open meshes auto-retopo

- retopo of external meshes (without voxelization)

- maybe a bit slower, but I think it worth it

I have a lot of ideas for semi-automatic retopo (sketch based), will implement all this a bit later, probably on Raul's return (in September I hope).

:rofl: Great news! Really looking forward to testing it out! Thanks Andrew!

And in addition - now quadrangulation exactly follows giudelines you drawn.

Wonderful news Andrew and welcome back!

It will be fantastic if the new autoretopo routines can use all cores of CPU for all time but  I think it is hard to implement..

Edited by Francesco Mai

• Reputable Contributor

Hi Andrew, will it be possible to do a partial manual retopo and then autotopo the rest?

You can already mix it up without much effort.

1) Run Auto Retopo > freeform lasso select parts you want to redo manually > DELETE

or...

2) While still in the Voxel Room, use the HIDE tool to hide the parts you want to retopo manually. After running Auto Retopo, unhide those parts.

Edited by AbnRanger

• Contributor

Hi

I have tried the last Beta 4.06 and i run into some problems.

First, some of my Presets are overwriten or are changed after i installed the beta.

Not sure if that is a problem of Artman´s Prestets or of the new version itself.

Would be nice if in the future is a way to protect own Presets.

Second, Clay 2 of the Artman´s Pack causes artefacts.

post-24378-0-07989800-1377604668_thumb.j

Not sure if it is a Problem of the Preset or the Beta itself.

Third, it would be nice to have some folder in the Presets like on the Brush or Object panel.

I dont need all of the new Presets but i wont delete it.

Would be nice to have a folder where i could put all the stuff into it, that i need.

• Contributor

Artman remade his presets and specificaly asked to NOT download his pack with this new release. Andrew changed many things in the brushes which make older preset incompatible.

Clay 2 is not in the base pack if I remember right, so yeah he does create artefacts. You'll have to delete those older presets because they probably won't behave properly and can cause subtle problems you won't spot until too late.

Third, it would be nice to have some folder in the Presets like on the Brush or Object panel.

I dont need all of the new Presets but i wont delete it.

Would be nice to have a folder where i could put all the stuff into it, that i need.

Please have a look at the mantis feature request here: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1104 and add your +1

It's been mentioned before and it's apparently not as simple to code as it would seem but the more request we have the better chance there is it might get implemented.