3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

Ok.

If i run the program without the Run this program as an administrator flag.

I get the same problem, too. Maybe it is the different partition, too.

Anyway, this should be fixed.

I have a backup now, but new users could run into the same problem.

• Contributor

Something I don't understand in the logic Andrew, you create a temp file for the save file, waiting for it to complete fine before naming it as the output entered by the user. BUT you delete the old file RIGHT AWAY ?

Doesn't sound safe at all, you basicaly create a hole, if the save fail (for any reason), you have no save anymore. 

Why don't you create the temp file for the new save but before that rename the old save, if the new save fail, rename the old save back to the original name, save failed message ensuing and you still have a valid save...

Take the example of a microcut in power, your disk fail to write, if you did rename the old save (takes very little time compared to a full save: much less risky) you'd still have a save not currently written on by the hard drive.

Or like in malo example an external drive messed up by a power saving feature of window or savage ejection, you killed the file.

Sounds WAY safer to me.

• Like 1

Der Teufel steckt im Detail.

Andrew developing as 1 person is good from the inventor point of view. However 3D-Coat got to the point where a Programmer Team is needed to polish 3DC functions and UI and fix bugs. If I would be Andrew and noticed income increase in last years to safely hire new personnel, I would hire young and especially talented programmers, fish among fresh university graduates.

• Advanced Member

That is likely because the problem already existed by that time...or did you do a fresh install this time?

Ok.

If i run the program without the Run this program as an administrator flag.

I get the same problem, too. Maybe it is the different partition, too.

Anyway, this should be fixed.

I have a backup now, but new users could run into the same problem.

• Contributor

No i dont do a fresh install.

Because why? I  mean, why should i do that?

I have installed it in F:\ , that is my main partition.

If 3d coat could only handle C:\ then it is a problem of 3d coat and not of me.

• Contributor

It's a problem with NTFS file permissions of the installation directory. Instead of changing them, which can be a bit of a hassle, you might try to set a Read Only file attribute on all default models.

However, I agree that 3D Coat shouldn't delete files from its directory.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

@Tony

We have the same install as far as i see.

The main folder is in F you use D and the my document are in C

Could you confirm my problem? Get the file deletet on your install, too?

Would be nice to know if that problem is generall or if it only occurs on my install, and i have to change something or be carefull with some stuff.

• Contributor

I think there's a bug in the render room. If you create a new light and set the colour to red, it starts to emit blue light, if you set it to blue, it emits red, etc. Looks like the hue is shifted.

Yes, I can confirm this as well. I noticed it while working on my project for the 3D-Coat Challenge thread (http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showforum=64).

It seems that the blue light spectrum and red light spectrum colors have been reversed.

I think there's a bug in the render room. If you create a new light and set the colour to red, it starts to emit blue light, if you set it to blue, it emits red, etc. Looks like the hue is shifted.

Yeah i have Deja Vu ;)

Any news about new build?

• Contributor

Same here. Only the default Shader works correctly on Blue and Red.

My Steps

1. Startup 3d coat

2. Use a Voxel or Surface Sphere, it makes no difference what you use.

3. Switch from Voxel to Render Room,

4. Change the Color of the light to Red or Blue.

5. Change the Shader to every what you want but dont use the Default shader.

6. See whats going wrong.

I use V4.06

Edited by Malo

• Contributor

When importing an object for PPP with a new scene wizard, 3D Coat doesn't subdivide the mesh properly! It just divides the quads without smoothing them!

---
Hmm... default models seem to subdivide. Some of my models do too, but the rest don't. I need to take a closer look at what is going on, so for now I'll hold with the report.

---

Okay I found what causes the problem. When you export a model from a 3rd party program and check the option to export normals with the object, 3D Coat won't properly subdivide the mesh. In my opinion this is a bug, because whether imported file contains normals or not, shouldn't matter when the object is being subdivided.

post-12523-0-09819700-1378409558_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

3D Coat doesn't subdivide the mesh properly! It just divides the quads without smoothing them! 

I often really like having the option to subdivide WITHOUT smoothing.

If this could be made to be optional (choose subdivide WITH smoothing, or choose subdivide WITHOUT smoothing), that would be the best.

• Like 1

• Contributor

I often really like having the option to subdivide WITHOUT smoothing.

If this could be made to be optional (choose subdivide WITH smoothing, or choose subdivide WITHOUT smoothing), that would be the best.

I agree, subdivision loose energy curve most of the time, and with intricate "base mesh" it's important to keep as much as the original shape as possible. So smoothing is a secondary need here. An option is needed.

There are big problems with the Clone and Cut&Clone tools in Surface mode. 

The way Clone is supposed to work: Select part of a model and the tool copies it to a proxy in the Merge tool.

How it currently works: Select the part and it deletes everything outside the selection, then sends the entire model to the Merge tool.

Video

http://screencast.com/t/4vxy1QUtbIa

Cut&Clone is doing almost the same thing except it deletes everything or it only leaves a small chunk, like in this picture:

http://screencast.com/t/WSvMedJPs2