3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

On the other side: I don't understand the tapering function. Would love to have a little explaination on this one.

Tapering is for ending stokes accurately and to limit strokes length. It modulates pressure according to stroke length.

Enable it and try to paint. It is useful for scratches, scales and especally hairs.

Don't forget to set dependency of pen radius on pressure.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Testing 4.1.15A feels very solid build for scultpting. But its not deep testing...I need to test voxel/surface switching and multires much more.

There are also tons of LC tools I haven't tried in along time...anyway,I'll report if I find anything dramatic.

Also it seems using Storesym with Storetool off work as predicted now ..so we can save ourselves banks of symmetry planes ..very useful!!...I wont have to do that awful Clonedensity+moveto routine ever again :)

Thanx for all that fast bug squishing action.

• Contributor

Ok,I have a small issue with new build.

I loose the white/blue highlights and the input bar cursor  inside numerical value boxes.

Every changes to the box is invisible until you press enter (the new value,the selection(if you selected the old value)

and even deleting the old value is invisible until you press enter)

When clicking in the box it gives the illusion that 3Dcoat is frozen but it is in reality waiting for you to enter new value and press enter.

Edit:Ok it only happens once I activate Fullscreen mode.

• Contributor

Andrew,would it be hard to be able to allow to use 0 thickness value in Voxlayer tool (in sf mode)??

that would make a very efficient Split tool :)  (even if surface will be not closed.)

Reason for this is that split tool in surface mode is very heavy because it tries to make a volumetic cut and also its  not compatible with 3dlasso.

Its very difficult in 3DCoat at this point to Split models parts in surface mode when meshes are in the higher poly range and splitting is very important operation to be able to do at any stage when working. In voxel mode its very easy;  Split tool works always good/fast and there is also separate Hidden from Hide tool available....it would be great if same control/freedom was there in Surface mode too.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for all the hard work on these things. I have one small question....that was raised by someone on the Youtube channel. The TRANSFORM COPY tool...in the 2D Texture Editor, you can use a freeform lasso or anything else to make a (copy) selection. But not in the 3D Viewport. You are only able to use the rectangle selection. Seems rather limiting. Is that a bug, or by design?

I meant for the above question to be for Andrew. Can't go back and edit

Thanks for all the hard work on these things. I have one small question....that was raised by someone on the Youtube channel. The TRANSFORM COPY tool...in the 2D Texture Editor, you can use a freeform lasso or anything else to make a (copy) selection. But not in the 3D Viewport. You are only able to use the rectangle selection. Seems rather limiting. Is that a bug, or by design?

I meant for the above question to be for Andrew. Can't go back and edit

This is bug. I will correct it.
  • Like 1

I just noticed the new Normal Map Software Preset option for baking and it has no LightWave option. Does anyone have an option that I can load or know if one of the included ones works?

BTW while I'm typing I guess I'll mention that I'm starting a tutorial on 3DC for Digital Tutors shortly.

I'm helping Andrew with the MODO preset, I was planning on helping with LW as well. However I'm having a hard time getting my account info from newtek so I can login and download the installer. That said, the latest version I have is 9.6, so I'm not really sure how helpful that would be anyhow. Maybe you could help Andrew with the LW preset? I assume you have the latest version of LW?

Updated to 4.1.15

- Rotate along stroke/strips does not lead to initial round spot in some tools.

Hi Andrew!

Seems that it fixed a few issues. I found another related to the initial spot when stroking. It is with the "Scratches" tool in surface mode.

Thanks for all of the fixes in this build, good stuff. :)

undo interaction = superfast

memory consuming = less

hard disk stress with cache = less

strokes without lag = cool

no holes = cool

Brush Tapering = supercool

Apply overrides Enter = megacool

note:

lag after end of move still here (voxel mode)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

note:

lag after end of move still here (voxel mode)

Yeah, no lags in surface mode, but in voxel mode the move tool still lags.

Apart from that: great, great work Andrew. Thank you! That smooooth sculpting...

What does 'Apply overrides Enter' mean exactly?

Edited by wilson66

• Contributor

Apply overrides enter means that when in surface mode and using a tool that need validation (smoother/angulator..) pressing enter doesn't "remesh" the object but validate the current tool.

It's VERY useful cause you can work much more quickly that way. For instance using smoother by applying patches works wonders to make a mesh super-clean.

This is 3dcoat equivalent of polish in Zbrush except you control the bounds while polish is a general tool (unless you mask areas).

• Like 1

I miss the old quick retopology function in 4.1 that gave in every case turbo quick perfect quad results that were ok for most non animated objects. Is it now hidden somewhere or do I have to set a switch to see it again?

Edited by Crush

I miss the old quick retopology function in 4.1 that gave in every case turbo quick perfect quad results that were ok for most non animated objects. Is it now hidden somewhere or do I have to set a switch to see it again?

It's still there, with the same name. RMB on the item you want to autopo in the voxtree, in the Sculpt room.

For those who visit this thread frequently :) There is interesting secret stuff (that is generally may be changed or removed form main version). But if interested, you may look and test. This is developed for printing and possibly industrial version of 3D-Coat. Anyway it may be really interesting and helpful.

So:

create empty files in installation folder:

mpc.txt

printing.txt

if you will place some number in printing.txt it will be used as initial scale for all scenes.

What changes

- bunch of complex primitives

- Constructor tool in voxel mode (lego/minecraft - like tool that may be easily mastered even by children)

- export for printing (removes extra width and bottom melting)

- build volume visualization

This is essentially beta stuff, subject to change or remove, only for enthusiasts!

This was mostly developed by other programmers in our team.

Tried, wanted to test constructor (I like the idea): crashed at first click. Retried: same. For enthusiasts indeed.

Thanks for sharing anyway :)

same here

*great idea

CPU meter usage jump to stratosphere

3DC freeze