3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

I find all this stuff confusing also...! This is what I did.... went to C:/users/stuart/documents/3dCoat v3/..... then moved everything from the V3 folder to the V4 folder that was next to it. So you are correct phil, its not called User Documents or UserData.Its just called Documents. Sorry for the confusion I was just combining the ultimate destination into one!.... If that makes sense? ( obviously you will not have a folder named "stuart",it will be whatever your user/computer is called.)

Anyone else have trouble with a 3DX mouse? I've been using and loving my Space Pilot with v3 and I had to set up a new profile to use with v4. I did that and the buttons seem to work fine but the 3D cap won't rotate or move. I'm pretty sure my new profile is set up just like the old one except for the 3DC file name.

• Advanced Member

Hey there Sergyi, Installed the Linux V4 Beta4, opened the sculpt I have been working on with V3.7-18F, it took a while to open, but it looked o.k, then I went to save it with another name and 3DCoat crashed.

Update: Second time I tried it all saved without any problems.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

Linux version 4.00A4 64 bit non cuda

Yahoo!, The shaders no longer bake to a green base color when baking from the retopo room to the paint room in the Linux version.Thanks Sergyi...

If I find any shader problems, I will let you know...

The new smoothing routine works very, very good in surface mode, Thanks Raul.

• Advanced Member

Another thing, I was working away in the Retopo room moving verts around for around 1hr, then a small dialog message popped up "saving" and then 3DCoat crashed, this is strange because I have auto save turned off.

T.

For all Mac and Linux bug reporters who did't knew it:

You can post your infos into mantis too. There will be all your posts collected and processed as soon as possible. You will get an immediately info by mail, after your bug were resolved. Additionally a bug related post thread gives you the abillity to discuss every individual issue.

Don't forget this, please.

Thank you for the support

Chris

Artifacts appear in a random manner when you smudge, like little sharp squares that get painted with some other color of the surface or maybe erased.

mantis report

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=126

i duno how to move v3 reports to v4 build report.

Artifacts appear in a random manner when you smudge, like little sharp squares that get painted with some other color of the surface or maybe erased.

mantis report

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=126

i duno how to move v3 reports to v4 build report.

You don't need to to this.

If a bug is still existing in version 4, report it anew and copy the related link into the description field please.

Actually the old bugs from version 3.x should be processed too... but this is Andrews task. :)

Thank you

Chris

• Advanced Member

Does anyone else of you also get some nasty holes in your geometry?

I usually get this by using LiveClay.. it has already destroyed two models in one week..

Could also have to do with CUDA.. I always use the CUDA version.. maybe I should just not use the CUDA version for a few weeks.

I think im gonna post this on Mantis anyways.. hopefully someone might fix this!

Does anyone else of you also get some nasty holes in your geometry?

I usually get this by using LiveClay.. it has already destroyed two models in one week..

Could also have to do with CUDA.. I always use the CUDA version.. maybe I should just not use the CUDA version for a few weeks.

I think im gonna post this on Mantis anyways.. hopefully someone might fix this!

No, I didn't realised this until now. Don't forget to save incremental to avoid loosing projects completely in beta stadium.

I've seen a number of nasty holes and reported them when it caused a crash while I brushed near the holes. What caused them for me was using Crease Clay and then Pinch on the same area. I did find one thing that worked one time, I haven't tried since, but I could right-click the VoxTree layer and pick Close Holes. In previous attempts I tried Close Holes from the Voxels menu and nothing happened.

I did just now notice one minor issue that I'll have to report, the Symmetry plane is single sided.

http://screencast.com/t/TNShGIoVmhTh

• Advanced Member

Has anyone else had a problem with a lot of crashes in the Retopo room? It will even crash when you are saving with the result of the destruction of your file, I had this happen after 6hrs of work and lost the lot, I had to drop back to an earlier incremental save and do all the work again. That really pissed me off!! The trouble with incremental saves is that they are now 2GB each and my folder has reached 84GB.

T.

• Advanced Member

Yeah.I noticed the symm plane thing, but it doesnt really bother me, I figured,it gets it out of the way if you need to see through it. The thing about synmetry I don't like is that each individual layer you have, cant be set with its own symmetry...if you move it, it moves on all the other layers as well,Now is this way it is supposed to work?

Has anyone else had a problem with a lot of crashes in the Retopo room? It will even crash when you are saving with the result of the destruction of your file, I had this happen after 6hrs of work and lost the lot, I had to drop back to an earlier incremental save and do all the work again. That really pissed me off!! The trouble with incremental saves is that they are now 2GB each and my folder has reached 84GB.

T.

is may be this same bug ?

File Size Increases Massively then Becomes Unworkable

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10375

• Reputable Contributor

T.

I have been having random crashes in the Linux versions 64 bit non-cuda 3.7.18F and beta 4.00.A4 either switching back from the paintroom to the voxel room or the retopo room.

I have not posted a mantis bug report yet, kinda busy...

Andrew reported the incremental saves as being fixed, maybe not. If not the bug report will need to be reopened.

I just save my files manually often, no problem with saves there and it's an old habit as I never completely trust machines but I'm not a Luddite (machine wrecker)

• Reputable Contributor

T.

I've not had any real issues with the Retopo room in Windows 64 w/CUDA. Been using it heavily. I did, however, have similar problems recently with LiveClay, and reported the problems to Raul.

• Advanced Member

I have reached the point that I cannot rely on the retopo room any more, things just are not stable enough for anything but the most simple sculpts, for example:

1 When merging into the scene (mv), the file you are working on is forgotten by 3DCoat, so you have to do a save as and name the file again.

2 Often, the contents of the pop ups (voxel list, palette, group list etc) display are empty, even though the contents are still there, a restart of 3DC is needed.

3 If you go to the Tweak room and move some verts around, when you return to the paint room your modifications (tweaks) are lost, but if you save the file, close 3DC, then reopen the file, the tweaks are saved.

4 When moving verts around in the retopo room, sometimes you will find, that some or the verts are stretched or moved to other locations on the mesh, this happens more so with the Brush, but also happens with the move vertices tool.

5 After defining UV islands on your mesh and unwrapping, then merging to the scene (mv), you get areas which don't appear to have UV space, even though looking at the UV map the areas seem to have UV space and are not overlapped, the only way to get around this is to cut your UV map up into many small islands which is no good for animating in other 3D packages such as Softimage.

6 As reported earlier, you have to keep saving incrementally because at any time you do a save, the program may freeze and destroy your file at the same time, this results in many scene files which are huge (now at 2GB each), what program destroys the file when saving? the file should be saved before deleting the original!!!.

This is just a few things encountered using the Retopo/Tweak rooms.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

I too have noticed (an old bug) lately that I have to keep re-naming files when going to save the one that is currently open. Very annoying...I agree. Have you tried deleting the Options.xml file? I also had to work a day and a half trying to troubleshoot baking problems. Tried using different Baking Parameters, Additional Extrusion, subdividing, etc. Had to manually select the verts and scale them beyond the mesh to get a fairly (still not 100%) decent result. I hope, when Andrew comes back from vacation, that he can double down on texture baking. I'm going to have to start doing it all outside of 3D Coat now. Can't afford to spend that kind of time on something that should only take a few minutes.

• Advanced Member

I too have noticed (an old bug) lately that I have to keep re-naming files when going to save the one that is currently open. Very annoying...I agree. Have you tried deleting the Options.xml file? I also had to work a day and a half trying to troubleshoot baking problems. Tried using different Baking Parameters, Additional Extrusion, subdividing, etc. Had to manually select the verts and scale them beyond the mesh to get a fairly (still not 100%) decent result. I hope, when Andrew comes back from vacation, that he can double down on texture baking. I'm going to have to start doing it all outside of 3D Coat now. Can't afford to spend that kind of time on something that should only take a few minutes.

This is what I have had to do, I love 3DCoat, but I cannot afford to spend so much time on trivial matters, I agree that Andrew has to spend more time in the Retopo room, I need a program which is reliable and predictable, even if it has less features, I need to predict how much time I will be spending on a particular job, not have a 10 min job turn into hours.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

This is what I have had to do, I love 3DCoat, but I cannot afford to spend so much time on trivial matters, I agree that Andrew has to spend more time in the Retopo room, I need a program which is reliable and predictable, even if it has less features, I need to predict how much time I will be spending on a particular job, not have a 10 min job turn into hours.

T.

Yeah. I practically never merge to MicroVertex...cause it's even worse. Tried on dozens of occasions and only got a workable result once. If there is a "trick" to get it to work correctly, I'd sure appreciate someone demonstrating it...not just saying "Oh, it works for me."

(I have already posted this in farstharys thread. So don't be surprised)

Hello friends.

While my todays mantis check I realised, that there is currently no one (!) live clay bug existing in mantis.

Is live clay in 3D Coat really completely bug and issue free??? I am not that shure...

So for all, who are mantis supporters: Please don't forget to give Raul a better bug support and post your bugs into mantis too. This helps him a lot.

You can assign your reports directly to Raul (farsthary). There is a fast way to find his username in mantis. Just click into the "Assign to" field and type his first name letters. Mantis will complete your entry automatically.

Thank you very much for your support!!!

Direct link to mantis: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

Best wishes

Chris

Hey there Taros, do you use the Linux version? and do you use the Retopo room?

T.

Linux: No.

Retopo: Very often. Why? EDIT: You mean because I forgot to activate the v4. categories in mantis? Have seen it... sorry for that. Is corrected now. :blush:

• Contributor

(I have already posted this in farstharys thread. So don't be surprised)

Hello friends.

While my todays mantis check I realised, that there is currently no one (!) live clay bug existing in mantis.

Is live clay in 3D Coat really completely bug and issue free??? I am not that shure...

So for all, who are mantis supporters: Please don't forget to give Raul a better bug support and post your bugs into mantis too. This helps him a lot.

You can assign your reports directly to Raul (farsthary). There is a fast way to find his username in mantis. Just click into the "Assign to" field and type his first name letters. Mantis will complete your entry automatically.

Thank you very much for your support!!!

Direct link to mantis: http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

Best wishes

Chris

The problem (at least it's the case for me) is bugs tends to happen after LOAD of actions that doesn't necessarily trigger those bugs. It's a certain pattern that get lost in the manipulations.

We can send a scene file with the problem but it doesn't guarantee it will help to debug in anyway. I never submitted those bugs because I don't get much of them, and when it happens I discover it after ton of other (unrelated) actions. It's a time delayed trigger and so it's very hard to isolate the problem.

The best way to track those bugs would be to have the app record every action in a log, and then we could see what went wrong. But then again (in my case) those bugs don't appear before a very complex scene is done. If it was quickly triggered I think it would've been fixed by now.

• Advanced Member

Anybody else having trouble with custom shaders not showing up in V4, even after copying the shader folder?

I am having the same problem with the shaders not displaying at all in the window. It then some how did the same thing to a previous version and had to re-install it. Still no shaders in v4 beta though on my machine. Using linux, Ubuntu 12.04Lts and 3d coat 64