3DCoat Forums

3D Coat is now for sale on Steam

chupacabra

I have a question about this :)

So if we wanted to upgrade... I have edu version. Would I just buy the full version from Steam instead, or is there a discount please?

• Reputable Contributor

There will be an upgrade for both the EDU/Non-Commercial version (the only limits are 2k max texture map sizes...not an issue for a game model...and 7 texture layer limit) and the Commercial version, respectively. Anyone buying a license now will get their upgrade for free. I think the full commercial upgrade will be about $99. Don't yet know what it will be for the EDU version. Guessing it will be about $30-40?

So are you saying that if I wait then I can get the version I have, upgraded to professional via steam for $99, even though I've purchased the version I have through pilgway a few months ago?

• Contributor

If you have a commercial version 3 for which you paid full price, the version 4 upgrade is free.

EDITED by Javis: Not entirely accurate. Please see my post below for clarification.

Edited by Javis
Edited for clarity

• Reputable Contributor

So are you saying that if I wait then I can get the version I have, upgraded to professional via steam for $99, even though I've purchased the version I have through pilgway a few months ago?

Steam is just a reseller, and thus whatever you buy there is no different than if you bought from the website here (except for any discounts they may offer). The V3 to V4 commercial upgrade will be roughly $99. The EDU to EDU will be much lower to upgrade, obviously. It's been my understanding that the EDU to commercial is roughly the difference between the 2 versions.

Also, if you bought the EDU seat just a few months ago, there is a good chance that you may get the V3 EDU to V4 EDU upgrade for free or a good deal less than normal. I would just e-mail sales for clarification on that ( sales@3d-coat.com ).

Thank you for clarifying. What I was asking originally though, obviously without making myself very clear (sorry) is that it's cheaper (by a tiny amount) to buy the full version on steam right now, than to upgrade from edu to professional on here, so Is there going to be any reduction in the cost of an upgrade from edu to prof here, or on steam?

I was looking to upgrade in the next week or so anyway, so was wondering.

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you for clarifying. What I was asking originally though, obviously without making myself very clear (sorry) is that it's cheaper (by a tiny amount) to buy the full version on steam right now, than to upgrade from edu to professional on here, so Is there going to be any reduction in the cost of an upgrade from edu to prof here, or on steam?

I was looking to upgrade in the next week or so anyway, so was wondering.

If you own an EDU version, the current upgrade to the full Commercial version is $250 (basically the difference in price between the two versions)...that's here on 3DC's website. If you made that upgrade, you'd get V4 for free (we're in V4 Pre-Release Beta now...so you can test/use most of the V4 tools before the official release). Don't take my word as official, though. Shoot the 3DC (sales) staff an e-mail for clarification/confirmation.

The good thing about all this upgrade talk is...it's been well over 4yrs since V3 was released and there have been a TON of new features and improvements since then, sometimes on a bi-weekly basis...all free to V3 license holders. Plus, each user really does have access to help shape the development/features. Not so much with other 3D software. Since I bought my license (V3) right after it was released, I've made dozens of feature/improvement requests...some major....some very small....and many of them are core components of the application today. Cache to Disk, Kitbashing Toolset, Spline guides in Autopo, etc. Couldn't imagine having that much input with any other application.

• Like 1

If you have a commercial version 3 for which you paid full price, the version 4 upgrade is free.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. This is not entirely accurate.

I just spoke with Andrew to clarify this. He tells me if you bought in August 2012 or later then you get the free upgrade (this is actually listed on the website), if you bought before that the upgrade cost will vary depending on the length of time you've owned 3DC. The more recent the lower the upgrade cost.

Well i hope that somethign can be done. I just purchased this program less than 6 months ago and would hate to have to rebuy it on steam.

You wont have to re-buy it, that's for certain. Likely a nominal upgrade cost (previously I upgraded from v2 to v3, for under $60 for the Pro license).

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Its pretty simple, Steam is now a reseller of 3D Coat and is selling the non-commercial/Educational version. Its the one that's already for sale on 3DC website for $99, so its a bit of a deal on steam if you want that version.

Limitation of Education version:

1) no commercial usage

2) textures size to export is limited to 2048x2048

3) limited to 7 layers

Upgrading to v4 is free if you buy 3D Coat in or after August.

Its pretty simple, Steam is now a reseller of 3D Coat and is selling the non-commercial/Educational version. Its the one that's already for sale on 3DC website for $99, so its a bit of a deal on steam if you want that version.

Limitation of Education version:

1) no commercial usage

2) textures size to export is limited to 2048x2048

3) limited to 7 layers

Upgrading to v4 is free if you buy 3D Coat in or after October.

Make that August, and you're square. ;)

There, none of this answered my question, so I went and bought the full version via steam. Now the site wont accept my registration code thingy. So I don't know if my software is activated correctly or not.

I get a sinking feeling in my chest all the time when I meet a problem these days.

@Edited because: It's accepted the registration now, but the link it gave on the error page to support, failed. I got a 404 error.

Edu to Prof =$250

full list here

I know this is the price here.

With tax, it takes the price of an upgrade beyond buying a full professional license available for purchase through steam. Of course, an upgrade from edu' to prof' is a reduced price compared to simply purchasing a full professional license here. So I was wondering if there were any relevance to this as I was considering an upgrade anyway, and if there were any options to lower pricing for an upgrade if I want to do it through the steam store somehow...

Was my question, when voiced more fully, and explained more thoroughly.

• Reputable Contributor

I know this is the price here.

With tax, it takes the price of an upgrade beyond buying a full professional license available for purchase through steam. Of course, an upgrade from edu' to prof' is a reduced price compared to simply purchasing a full professional license here. So I was wondering if there were any relevance to this as I was considering an upgrade anyway, and if there were any options to lower pricing for an upgrade if I want to do it through the steam store somehow...

Was my question, when voiced more fully, and explained more thoroughly.

Well, since 3D Coat is an international company, there is no tax. So, an upgrade from EDU/Non-Commercial to Professional is just a flat $250. Steam is selling the full Professional license (with discount) for $314. That's $64 more. Maybe Steam will offer the upgrade and include their 10% discount, but that is up to them, not Pilgway. One would have to contact their sales staff and ask if that option is available.

Don,

Whether or not there is a tax depends on whom you purchase from. If a non-EU citizen purchase from Pilgway there is no tax for obvious reasons, if you (Anyone, EU or otherwise) purchase from me, since I run my business in Oregon and Oregon has no sales tax, you pay no sales tax. Now, since Steam is in Washington state, which does have sales tax and so if you live in Washington and are purchasing in WA, you would pay sales tax. As for EU member citizens, they must pay VAT on games/software they purchase through Steam. Anyone else likely wont have to pay sales tax or other sales tax (unless your state/province/country/etc requires otherwise).

So far, I've surmised my upgrade from 3 pro to 4 will be $99. Is that correct?

Hey Tony!

Andrew hasn't actually said how much upgrades will officially be, yet. Based on my experience upgrading from v2 to v3, I paid $60. So I suspect it will be within the same range. Give or take some.