3DCoat Forums

Button that sets the controls to basic standards that most other programs on planet Earth use?

Stardog

Another 3D program with a strange interface. It looked good at first, as far as the window layout anyway.

Where's the magic button that sets scroll-wheel to zoom, creates a Selection Arrow toolbar button, makes right-click rotate (or ALT-MMB-DRAG, ALT-LMB-DRAG), makes resizing your brush's radius/depth use a modifier key + scroll wheel, and disables it when right-click-dragging on an object (duplicate functionality).

Is there a preferences file I can import or something?

Hi welcome

import no, but you can define hotkeys ;)

Wiki onlinemanual:

http://3d-coat.com/w....php/Doc:Manual

To define a hotkey is actually quite simple. All you need to do is point your mouse cursor over the item you would like to set a hotkey for and then press the END key, you will then see the following prompt. You can now press the key you would like to assign to the function. Keep in mind nearly every button or menu item you see in 3D-Coat be have a custom hotkey. Also, if a hotkey is already taken, it is no problem to go ahead an re-assign the key to whatever you like.

11.2 Customize User Interface

http://3d-coat.com/w..._User_Interface

9.5 Preferences

http://3d-coat.com/wiki/index.php/9.5_Preferences

Mouse WHEEL. Which parameter to change with MOUSE WHEEL.

CTRL+WHEEL. Which parameter to change with CTRL+WHEEL.

SHIFT+WHEEL. Which parameter to change with SHIFT+WHEEL.

ALT+WHEEL. Which parameter to change with ALT+WHEEL.

Here is what I've come up with (place in C:\Users\_Name_\Documents\3D-CoatV3\NavigationPresets).

DOWNLOAD

Main controls:

LMB - Paint

MMB - Rotate

RMB - Pan

ALT-RMB - Zoom

Other:

ALT-MMB - Pan

MMB-RMB - Pan

You will have to add others (such as material related controls) from the default.

Go to the "camera" tab ,top right, The first 2 options there should sort you out!

Hi welcome

import no, but you can define hotkeys ;)

The wheel seems locked to the brush, unfortunately. I can't use the wheel with anything to do with the camera. Is it changeable? I tried "WHEEL" and "WHEEL UP", etc.

Also, is RMB+MMB seems the same as MMB+RMB, so am I unable do different things based on which is press/release order? For example, while rotating > pan while still holding rotate > release pan to continue rotating, but not the flipside (pan > rotate while still holding pan > pan).

Another user who thinks that a Sculpting-Program should have the interaction-concept of other 3D-Modelling-Software and should be driven with a mouse.

Also manual.

Sorry but the tone wasn't to my liking either.

Ok, boo hoo. I'm busy trying to improve the program, free of charge. With an influx of 12-year-old idiots from Steam, you could do with this setup.

• Contributor

Well the problem is this setup is in no way standard...

By default 3dcoat is using maya navigation scheme, which is by far the most used setup in 3dsoftware. Maya has if (ofc), 3ds max has it since 2013, softimage has it, silo has it, lightwave 10 has it i(f I'm right), blender has it even mudbox and zbrush (with zswitcher plugin) ! etc...

Any major package has at least a preset for maya navigation.

So your setup may be fine for you (and it's perfectly fine if you like it, the option is there to satisfy the users) but don't ask for your setup by default when the maya nav is probably one of the oldest and most used in any 3d package.

Also I was told that not to judge others too hastily and resort to name calling, sometimes you're actually missing the target....