3DCoat Forums

Is there any way to...

...Paint up to a height relative to the world, instead of relative to the brush or underlying pre-existing strokes? So that no matter how many new strokes I put down, it wouldn't build beyond a certain height, so creating a flat surface when it hits the height, perpendicular, or relative to a certain plane.

Ooh, ok ty. I think this would be a really nice option because it would allow completely flat surfaces to be created then, adding to the whole hard surface modelling options and such.

I was considering, and trying to create a cameo brooch type of object, a bit like on this page, as a basis for creating a larger piece, without making a model and flattening it, then adjusting quite a bit until it looked right, so was considering this method mentioned in my opening post as a possible way to create this.

I know that I could create a displacement map, but considered this height based voxel painting method to perhaps be something that might already be in place, to use as an alternative, and I don't really know how to create/use displacement maps yet, I also thought this might be a really good way to create displacement maps perhaps, too.

Why not create the entire, general shape with voxels, put the Camera in an Orthographic state, align the view so that the "flat" would be perpendicular to the screen - and use the Voxel "Cutoff" tool to slice the flat plane?

Cutting off is more reliable than adding on, at this point.

Maybe I misunderstood your request, however.

Edit: Now looking at the Cameo your referenced: If this is what you are trying to emulate, start with an Ovoid Primitive - flatten this out for the main cameo body. Then, using curves from the "E" panel - create the outline of the raised subject (the woman's head) in conjunction with the Vox Layer tool (adjusting thickness by trial and error).

Since the new layer for the head is independent, just sculpt into this general shape to produce the details with your favorite brush while holding down the "Ctrl" key. The metal circumferential band can be produced by flattening a FreeForm Cylinder - which could be excavated by using a boolean "Subtract" of a copy of the cameo base from the cylinder (right click and choose "Subtract from") and selecting the ovoid base layer. The bottom of the cameo mounting would already be flat (since it was formed from the cylinder).

Greg Smith

• 3 weeks later...