3DCoat Forums
Psmith

Version 4 Manual User Workflow Contributions

The Manual is coming along fine, but more user "workflow" contributions are welcome and needed.

May I recommend the videos on our YouTube channel for obtaining the deepest understanding of 3D-Coat? Words simply cannot demonstrate visual principles very well - and in many cases.

Greg Smith

Well, it's nice (with The Manual is coming along fine)...

And yeah, YouTube is fine too...

And I'd like to help with 'user experience...', but as I was 'out-of-3d-coat' for last year(-and-half),

now it's rather difficult to catch up with 'all-new-stuff' (a great leap BTW [3.5X -> 4beta], we all see it) in 3DC...

P.S. actually I was asking 'couse I'm eager to start translating new manual (at least as much as possible before the v.4 Release...)

This is very good news; I love 3d Coat. I believe it's the best of the three sculpture programs available (well now 4 with C4D) but it makes me ill to come up blank on tutorials for vital parts of its workflows. The program deserves better than this. Might I suggest at a minimum that with each new functionality that Andrew just toss off a quick video to Vimeo with the functionality depicted in video? This would do a lot to helping users, particularly new users to get a handle on 3d Coat.

I really want to figure out how vector displacement works but I'm at a loss of where to find the info here.

If you need a professional copyeditor to polish the copy and get things simplified and organized - I'd love to contribute.

I am a novice hobbyist in 3D, but I provide for my family by writing and copyediting.

The new manual is GREAT !!! ^_^

TY !!!!! :)

Page 73

The manual use the old Shaders Preview Pics

Would there be any way to make the background grey gradient on a separate layer, like in the version 3.x manual, so we could turn it off in order to be able to print the manual?

-Patrick

. . . old shader preview pics . . .

This is the reason nobody ever has written a book about 3D-Coat.

Things just keep changing - and, at a pace that nobody can keep up with. Especially not me.

Those shader pics weren't changed until the week of the release.

Greg Smith

Greg, do you think you could clean up the English in the "Happy Baking Guide" and add it to the V4 Manual? I'm sure it would be an enormous help for a lot of folks. I created a video tutorial for it, and I'd like to point this guide out, in the comments section, as an additional resource. Thanks in advance.

Don:

Yes, I did this many months ago and sent the copy to Andrew. I guess he decided not to use it.

Greg

It's because of the apostrophe. You can just copy and paste the entire line into your browser to avoid the error.

Edit: Now the link works.

Greg

Ok, got it. I still think it belongs in the Manual, under the Retopo tools section. Very important addition to V4 and shouldn't be left out of the manual.

Greetings,

I posted about this in the New User forum, and so far no reponse. One thing I find terribly confusing is the what goes where. [Folder logic]

I understand the idea that the user folder is now where we should store data, but do I pull stuff out of the "program" location (pens, textures..), leave it there.... etc

I have a boatload of stuff (textures, penpacks, etc...) in my User..../3D Coat folder, that I have no idea where it came from and where (or if) I should move it. Also preference and config. info

It would be truly helpful to have a layout and description of which folders should have what. Where they are located and how to manage them. I know it is dry stuff, but right now I am trying to learn this program and I am certain some of the issues are related to fouled up locations.

Are there any existing documentaions of this (I've Googled myself silly:  :)

EDIT: I meant to say User.../3D Coat/Layout folder

• Like 1

If you think they are in the wrong folders, why not do a clean install?  Then you can go in and see where they are supposed to go.  I haven't seen any documentation on the folder structure that 3DC uses. 

Thank You for responding.

I am familar with the idea of clean installs. I prefer to understand the structure so I can fix problems and customize without breaking things that are working.

I had downloaded a number of penpacks and shaders, etc.... and now I have parts and pieces all over the place.

Kevin L

Greetings,

I'm double posting this (as a pointer to the original post in "New Users") I am inquiring as to the proper folder topology. I do not know if my extensions are all in the correct spots, if I need to do something in the program or folder structure.

I made a "Fresh install vs. extensions added" pdf. Any guidance would be welcome.

Folder Outline-extensions Added_3D-CoatV4.pdf